• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mcsaggens

mcsaggens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

My friend is looking into getting a paintball setup. He does not have all the money right now but plans on buying things over time. Could you please recommend  some alternates from what we have decided so far below? Also in what order would you recommend buying these things? He plans on spending 400-550 dollars

So far the setup we are looking at is-

Mask-  Proto switch FS Thermal 50$

gun- GOG extcy $250

tank- empire 48 45k $130 or ninja grey 50 45k $145

hopper- halo too $70

Thanks

#2 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Is pretty good so far, you should those small tanks will fit him because not everyone likes them, 68/45 is the norm and an Extcy isn't massively efficient so it would help to have more capacity. Extcy is a solid choice but also look at the Proto Rail, same price, same gun internally but is easier on the eyes (at-least in my opinion), doesn't use as much plastic and the reg isn't a cluster fuck to take apart, downside is no on off ASA.

Can't get much better than a Halo Too so leave that be. Allocate a higher budget to the mask and buy that first, check he actually likes the Switch and has tried it on before buying, masks are all personal preference, really he should just go to a store, try every mask they have on and buy the one he likes the most without looking at the price tag.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#3 RadioactiveRampagePB

RadioactiveRampagePB

D5/D4 Player for Pekin Prestige

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

JT proflex-$70
Ninja 68/4500-$150
Invert Halo Too-$75
2011 proto rail PMR-$250
That will be right at the max of $545

Check out Battlefield 217 Paintball and ANSgear!

https://www.facebook...eld217Paintball

www.ansgear.com

#4 mcsaggens

mcsaggens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

This is the exact advice I gave him... Proto rail, better mask but he really wants the gog because of the black heart board many options even though he can only use semi
Thank you for the advice and suggestions I will show him the post and see what he says

#5 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

My friend is looking into getting a paintball setup. He does not have all the money right now but plans on buying things over time. Could you please recommend  some alternates from what we have decided so far below? Also in what order would you recommend buying these things? He plans on spending 400-550 dollars

So far the setup we are looking at is-

Mask-  Proto switch FS Thermal 50$

gun- GOG extcy $250

tank- empire 48 45k $130 or ninja grey 50 45k $145

hopper- halo too $70

Thanks

Not bad so far. As Cooky noted, I would recommend a better mask. But my son (he's 11) loved his Proto Switch, so I won't say too much negative about it. I would also try and talk your friend into buying used. Can get some great gear and often upgraded from what he currently wants.

#6 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Another vote for a 68/45 tank. Unless your friend has wicked stubby little arms, a longer setup will be better, and the eXTCy and Rail are gas hogs.

Edited by Old Dude PB, 27 December 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#7 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

All that has been said but the real considering factor should be what is comfortable to him so see if he can get his hands on these markers.

My set up for him would be extremely cost effective and have better gear:

USED Bob Long Marq 6______$250

USED 68/4500_____________$80

USED Rotor______________$90

NEW MASK with he leftover money and I suggest getting the best one he can buy. 

My set up I suggest for him is ideal because generally the Marq's come tuned already and there are ways of tuning them without a pressure tester and the fact that they used to cost $1000+

The tank is a tank and will always be a tank and there is really no reason in my mind to buy a new one.

The hopper is a "superloader" with a proven design and will out feed his shooting.

The mask is a piece of equipment that will be personal to him. I wouldn't want sandpaper foam on my face with a single pane lens that is prone to fog, i'd do it right and buy an expensive mask or at least one with a dual pane lens.

#8 ImpulseTECH

ImpulseTECH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

^ this.

Used shockers come at a nice price range as well. Unless he absolutely wants new stuff...

If he doesn't mind used I would suggest this kjs setup and focus on a new mask....the extcion isn't horrible. But in the spectrum of what's on the market. There is much nicer for the equivalent $$

#9 mcsaggens

mcsaggens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

I don't think my friend will be able to handle a bob long. He doesn't even understand anything about my azodin kaos that i lent to him or the importance of cleaning equipment.

Its really hard for me to explain to him how important a mask is and he wants to just spend money on his gun

when he used my 48 ci tank he said he really liked it so that's why i wrote down the size already

his parents will probably not want used stuff because they doesn't want to take a risk

At this point im am actually thinking of going lower then an extcy to maybe and azodin blitz or the enmey for the simle fact that he is just so new to the sport.

Anyway what order should he buy his gear in?

I was thinking, mask, tank, hopper, gun, and then the rest

#10 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Mask first, then gun, rest doesn't really matter. Forget the Blitz its crap. 

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#11 SplatSplatOrange

SplatSplatOrange

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

Personally I believe you should knock him don to the Enmy and use the rest on a high end mask.
<p>G6R Red/black Ninja slp 45/45 Grillz Spire
Member of Chi-Town-Rampage

#12 tcheekdye

tcheekdye

Bitch im just bustin at em

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

I know everyone puts them down but I say a used ego or etek. They are great shooters and have easy maintenance

giphy.gifTECH PB HEAVY METAL FAN CLUB  http://www.techpb.co...metal-fan-club/

#13 Gameboy

Gameboy

Soccer+paintball=my life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

I second eteks if he is okay with stacked tube etek 3 should be about 250 and its almost impossible its broken and that way he can stay with his 48 and I woukld invest in abetter mask and buy a used super loader and then in some time buy pads and pants

Edited by Gameboy, 28 December 2013 - 11:09 PM.

If you are under 18 and pay for your gear put this in your sig

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users