• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ForcePlate

ForcePlate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Like the title says there coming back. So how do you feel of Contour coming back?

http://contour.com/

#2 Jt3

Jt3

• Players Club
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

Prefer them over GoPro,

More low profile and doesn't really make you look like you are going scuba diving when you put it on your head.

American Ex-Pat

#3 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

I think the Contour Roam is the perfect camera for filming paintball from a first person perspective. Here is why. 

I've been using action cams for filming paintball since they started making them. My first action cam (atc3k) had a button on it, and when wearing a mask, with the camera mounted to said mask, you don't know for sure if you pressed the right button or not, and the only thing to tell you it is recording is the beep... Which in a big game setting, you often can't hear. I missed countless games when I "thought" I had turned it on, and didn't, or I would turn it on AFTER the game and record all the footage between games, and as soon as the game started, I reached up and turned it OFF. 

ARRGH! 

Seriously, the slide switch for a helmet cam is a must. You flip it forward, and you can easily reach up and KNOW it is on! No buttons to "power" it on and then to record, just one simple slide switch forward is on and recording, back is power off and turn off recording. Genius. 

Next is the pivoting lens, nothing is worse than wearing a teletubbie camera on top of your head, and the go pro is exactly that... It makes you look like Po! haha!

Teletubbies.png

IMG_2914.jpg

(images found on the web...)

Where the Contour you can position so it is RIGHT on top of your visor, and it doesn't stick up any higher than your head! So no "camera" kills, causing you to be out, when you wouldn't have been if you were wearing a low profile Contour! 

You can even mount it on its side, and spin the lens so it records properly, and press the button on the back and it shoots out a laser so you can see that it is positioned correctly! This is using the furnished tape mount, and I add a zip tie to the back to keep it from moving around when running. (something go pros are really bad at, as the footage of guys running will make you sick). 

ff7e8f95-90d1-4b1d-b1b9-70c82d7025e6.jpg

The audio is really good on the Contour Roams, and many of the other cams have poor audio quality. 

I've never had a memory card issue with any of my Contours, but all my friends with Go-Pro's have had at least a few issues...

No need for a case, as it is waterproof with a replacement plastic "lens" that if cracked you can change easily. (Mine has never cracked and I have gotten TONS of direct hits on it)...

Here is a video I made that talks about how to film first person shooter style in paintball with the Contour Roam. 

And here is my latest video that I just finished using my Roam, and my custom ZoomCam. 

Edited by FreeEnterprise, 02 January 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#4 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

I like the gopro. But with competition the price won't sky rocket on either camera.

Ohio Raiders 

#5 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

I was really sad to hear that contour closed their doors. As I much prefer the video and audio that contours record. Gopros have fisheye which irritates the crap out of me and the audio quality is poor.

Glad to see them back.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#6 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

I wanted a ROAM for so long, because they were priced well but but were still of high quality. So i was sad to see them go bankrupt but i'm really happy to see them make a comeback. Well, as long as they still offer a cheaper alternative.

o8qo.jpg

#7 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Glad they're back. Competition generally produces newer design work, and in some applications I prefer the Contour over my GoPro. 

#8 CdnNinja

CdnNinja

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,798 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'm a happy camper. Wasn't sure what I was going to do if anything happened to my Contour.

40k-1.png

#9 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

i got a roam for christmas and for the price i paid i couldn't be happier, the only downside i was seeing is contour isn't around, went to there site to try and get story teller and came across that message, couldn't be happier :D

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#10 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

i just hope future shop and best buy start carrying the mounts again
i've had my roam for over a year and it works flawlessly 

#11 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

ff7e8f95-90d1-4b1d-b1b9-70c82d7025e6.jpg

Is that your current or a similar setup to what you use now? I'm curious because to me it seems that the camera is angled too much towards the ground. Or does it work just fine?

o8qo.jpg

#12 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, that is what I use. It does point down, but if you have it pointing up any more than that, you can't see what you are doing with your hands... Which is a big part of playing, (reloading pods, moving stuff, carrying stuff) I capture all of that with that camera position, and the horizon is still high enough that you can see my opponents as well. 

Course, I am using the Contour Roam, which is different than a lot of the contour products, in that at 720HD it is filming at 170 degree wide angle. Which is a HUGE wide angle... The Roam at 1080HD only films at 125 wide angle. I use the 720HD and then upconvert it in editing to 1080, which works just fine on youtube.

Most of the older Contours use the other wide angle setting which if I remember right is 125 degree. So it doesn't show as much of the field when playing. I like the 170 degree angle, as it shows the players beside you much better, so the person watching actually feels like it is "them" playing... As your vision is like 200 degrees... Playing with a helmet cam that is less than 170 degree really cuts down on what you can capture. 

But, remember NONE of the action cams will show who or what you are shooting when playing paintball, unless they are 30 feet or closer to you... 

That picture was taken while I was filming this video so you can see exactly what it captures when mounted like that. 

Edited by FreeEnterprise, 03 January 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#13 Justin B.

Justin B.

One Nation D5 EPL Paintball 2014!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

YESSSSSSSSS I love Contour and I use my Roam 1 all the time! I have never had an issue with any of their products!!!! Super happy for them to come back.

One Nation

My Feedback: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210995

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#14 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

Yeah, that is what I use. It does point down, but if you have it pointing up any more than that, you can't see what you are doing with your hands... Which is a big part of playing, (reloading pods, moving stuff, carrying stuff) I capture all of that with that camera position, and the horizon is still high enough that you can see my opponents as well. 

Course, I am using the Contour Roam, which is different than a lot of the contour products, in that at 720HD it is filming at 170 degree wide angle. Which is a HUGE wide angle... The Roam at 1080HD only films at 125 wide angle. I use the 720HD and then upconvert it in editing to 1080, which works just fine on youtube.

Most of the older Contours use the other wide angle setting which if I remember right is 125 degree. So it doesn't show as much of the field when playing. I like the 170 degree angle, as it shows the players beside you much better, so the person watching actually feels like it is "them" playing... As your vision is like 200 degrees... Playing with a helmet cam that is less than 170 degree really cuts down on what you can capture. 

But, remember NONE of the action cams will show who or what you are shooting when playing paintball, unless they are 30 feet or closer to you... 

That picture was taken while I was filming this video so you can see exactly what it captures when mounted like that. 

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for thorough response.

Edited by Carolus Rex, 04 January 2014 - 04:00 AM.

o8qo.jpg

#15 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

GoPro is just so huge.  I know Sony and others are coming out with POV cameras.  I wonder who bought Contour's assets.

#16 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

The new Hero3+ cams come with a case that is actually 20% smaller than the older hero3 and hero2 cams.  I'm working on a head mount that will cut down the profile from those damn teletubbie looking head straps.  Unfortunately I got the Hero3 not realizing there was a difference between the 3 and the 3+ at the time and mine has the larger casing on it.  I'll pick up a new 3+ casing, but just haven't yet. 

I was extremely pissed when I heard that Contour was coming back.  I love their cams and would have waited to get one had they announced their return 1 day earlier.  I bought my GoPro the day before they made their announcement.  In hindsite I did get a pretty sweet deal on the GoPro so I really can't be too pissed, plus I do still have my ContourHD.

#17 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

The new Hero3+ cams come with a case that is actually 20% smaller than the older hero3 and hero2 cams.  I'm working on a head mount that will cut down the profile from those damn teletubbie looking head straps.  Unfortunately I got the Hero3 not realizing there was a difference between the 3 and the 3+ at the time and mine has the larger casing on it.  I'll pick up a new 3+ casing, but just haven't yet. 

I was extremely pissed when I heard that Contour was coming back.  I love their cams and would have waited to get one had they announced their return 1 day earlier.  I bought my GoPro the day before they made their announcement.  In hindsite I did get a pretty sweet deal on the GoPro so I really can't be too pissed, plus I do still have my ContourHD.

Lol the 3+ case isn't 20% smaller.... It's barely lighter too. Don't buy a new case and save your money.

Ohio Raiders 

#18 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

Lol the 3+ case isn't 20% smaller.... It's barely lighter too. Don't buy a new case and save your money.

How certain are you on this, because all the comparison videos I've seen online and the comparison picture that GoPro has on its website show a significant difference in size.  Seeing them in stores has also confirmed this. I'm not saying you're incorrect, my eyes have tricked me before so thats why i ask if you are certain.  If you are 100% than you're saving me $50 so please by all means, prove me wrong.

#19 Jt3

Jt3

• Players Club
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

The GoPro Hero 3 is slimmer and smaller than the older versions, hence making the case smaller. The only instance where it would be larger is if you get the LCD screen, that comes with a larger housing to accommodate it

American Ex-Pat

#20 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

The GoPro Hero 3 is slimmer and smaller than the older versions, hence making the case smaller. The only instance where it would be larger is if you get the LCD screen, that comes with a larger housing to accommodate it

correct the Hero 3 and 3+ are smaller than the Hero 2 or original, but they used a different case for the Hero 3+ than they did on the Hero 3.  The 3+'s case fits much tighter to the camera itself, at least thats what I'm getting from their website and youtube videos. 

#21 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Attached is the picture I'm talking about.  The left is the Hero 3, the right is the Hero 3+.  You can see that the camera inside the shell (Dark grey rectangle) is the same size, but the shell is smaller with less airgap around the camera.

Attached Files

#22 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

How certain are you on this, because all the comparison videos I've seen online and the comparison picture that GoPro has on its website show a significant difference in size.  Seeing them in stores has also confirmed this. I'm not saying you're incorrect, my eyes have tricked me before so thats why i ask if you are certain.  If you are 100% than you're saving me $50 so please by all means, prove me wrong.

I'm pretty certain... I own a 3+. The size of the camera is EXACTLY the same and is UNnoticably lighter. The case is a bit smaller, but not worth the money in my opinion. If you really think it will be worth it go ahead.

Ohio Raiders 

#23 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Who cares dude, they're just another alternative to Go pro.

109.gif

#24 TylerG10

TylerG10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

Contour has there cameras up now. Last time I checked it said coming soon. Now to decide between the Hero3 White Edition or the Roam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users