Photo

I Played Paintball Once, Now I am Hooked. Please give me your advice and suggestions.

bum ass clown gog g1 best beginner gun beginner help help help i need an adult rate my setup

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 iehartpbhk4lyfeover9000bps

iehartpbhk4lyfeover9000bps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hello,

After having recently played paintball all day at my local field. I have since done alot of research, Reading techpb beginners thread watching all the budget baller videos by mike and any reviews I can find all over the web.

I have sold my self on the GoG G1 to start with. Below is my list of items I have come up with to start out with in order of importance as stressed in the videos and in the beginner thread.

================================================================================

New Hobby 2014: Paintball (Initial Investment)

1. Mask:

Dye i4: $129.95 w/Dye I4 Thermal Mask Lens - Dyetanium Bronze Fire $39.95?

HK  Army KLR: $124.95 w/HK Army KLR Thermal Mask Lens - Blaze Orange $29.95?

VIO Virtue: $124.95 w/Orange Lens $29.95?

Proto Switch FS: $49.95 w/Proto Switch FS & EL Thermal Lens - Smoke Bronze Fire $34.95?

1. Hopper:

Dye rotor (most expensive): $149.95?

Pinokio PL250/400 Paintball Hopper - Smoke (mid price – extendable): $99.95?

Empire Halo Too SE Paintball Hopper - Diamond Yellow (low price): $84.95?

1. Tank:

Ninja Carbon Fiber Air Tank w/ Adjustable Regulator - 68/4500: $159.95

4. Marker: 

GoG G1 Paintball Gun w/ Blackheart Board: $299.95

GOG eNVy/G1/eXTCy/Vibe/SP1 360 QEV: $24.95?

TechT L7 v2 Ion Bolt - Ion XE, Vibe, SP1, G-1, Envy: $49.99?

Smart Parts Apex/Apex 2 Ready All American Freak Barrel Front (w/Apex): $74.90?

Trinity Smart Parts G1/VIBE/ENVY T-Lock Lever Clamping Feed Neck - Dust Black - (#3O43): $24.95?

STANDARD ON-OFF FOR GOG G1 PAINTBALL GUN/02867234389: $34.95?

======================================================================

Now as I started out doing my research I thought I was going to stay under $150 but after going ga ga over the new territory I raised my initial maximum investment budget to $1000 I think this will provide plenty of extra for apparel or pods etc...

Now please look this over and give me your honest opinions as a fresh beginner setup. I am absolutely sold on the GoG G1 but I am hoping someone can provide an alternative or talk me out of it. I would also consider a used High End as it has been the most reccomended.

My least concern is for upgrades of the marker itself. however I would like to SQUEEZE every bit of performance I can out of the platform and as such I have tried to cover everything as far as potential upgrades in the list above. Additionally the list above has multiple masks and hoppers but the ones I favor most.

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

You dont need to spend $1000, not even close.

My suggested budget would be:

Mask $60-130 (TRY ON ALL THE GOOD ONES)

Tank $160 (Ninja is the best)

Loader $80-100 (Used Rotor, Z2 or Spire)

Gun $300+ (Used superguns like older Egos and DMs are your best bet)

Volleyball kneepads $15

Elbow pads if you plan to dive/slide/crawl $40

NXe TP series pod pack $30

Pods $5-10

Baggy tshirt and cargo pants or BDU pants, super cheap at a thrift store and actually an advantage because people dont think youre "PRO" just because youre wearing a jersey

Its much better to buy a higher end marker right off the bat than to spend a ton on upgrades that dont do much for a lower end marker

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 01 January 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#3 iehartpbhk4lyfeover9000bps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Thanks Playdoh, I do plan on checking with a local dealer mainly to try on a mask and secondly to see if they have what I want and if so I may buy from them to support.

#4 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

The G1 is a great starter marker, but don't go crazy on upgrades. Things like pods, packs, pads and pants will be much better investments rather than upgrades. Make sure you try on all of the masks you can.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#5 Dallas_ballas

Dallas_ballas

So your telling me I can't order my skill from ANS?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

I agree try on all mask and the g1 isn't bad but look into the g5 by dangerous power, proto rail or gog extcy. If buying new but like play dough said used super guns are nice too. Just look around your feild for sellers so you can actually see the gun it self then if you come up empty handed try the buy sell and trade section of techpb

#6 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

I am in about the same boat as you are. The advice I have been getting is to get a marker that you can use in speed\hyper\air\tourney even if you are currently only interested in woods.

The reasoning here makes perfect sense, however for a guy like me who is nearing 50, has bad knees, and was never very quick to begin with; the chances that I am going to start playing on the pro circuit are vanishingly small. I too am dreaming of a G-1 (with obligatory Blackheart) to go tromping through the forest with.

I also agree with everyone about trying on the mask. I bought a JT Flex-8 full coverage helmet without trying any on. It was great except that I did not like the visibility and even though it covered the top of my head, the lower half of my ears hung out of it. I then took everyone's advice and went to the store and found out that the VForce Grill was absolutely MADE for my big head and I can actually SEE!

...um...I have another stupid question...

#7 Simiballer

Simiballer

Professional Pillow Fort Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

Don't be afraid to buy used, you'll end up spending a lot less. The Halo Too should be fine no matter what marker you're getting. Also, are you intending to go hardcore into tourneys? Because unless you're planning on playing tournaments, there's not much need for upgrades. The only upgrade I've purchased is an on off Asa because the one on the gun I bought was cracked. After all, I find it more fun playing without using full auto to spray everything in sight :). Just my two cents
If you're under 18 and pay for your own stuff, put this in your signature.
On a side note... Royal Highlanders rule!

#8 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

None of those upgrades are exclusively helpful in tournament-style paintball, and some wouldnt be at all except for scenario style play...

#9 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

My suggestion:
JT proflex $60
GOG eXTCy $250
Ninja 68/4500 $150
Halo too $80
PE kneepads $45
PE elbow pads $45
Proto fighter pack $40
Exalt thrashers v3 $100

That's a way better setup for only 770. Instead of 1k.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#10 arkenfight4saw

arkenfight4saw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

Love the above setup, except maybe switch the mask out for a vforce grillz and use a nxe pod pack instead.

My setup: Tippy 98 custom pro, guardian 48/3000 tank, e-flex, and PROTO PRIMO (best hopper EVER)

#11 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

Well proto packs are also pretty good, though I agree with the mask choice. That or profilers. Also, empire z2's are on sale for 130 on most websites.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#12 phenom48

phenom48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

The above set up will work fine.  Personally, I would recomend a marker that has autococker treads since any barrel upgrade that you make can translate to most higher end markers (if you upgrade in the furture).  I would also wait to purchase knee pads, elbow pads, and paintball specific pants, but then again I have no experience in tournament style paintball. If you have $200 that you are itching to spend then go for it.

#13 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Kneeling down on a tree root or rock isnt usually something that happens in tournaments. IMO everyone should have kneepads.

#14 Justin B.

Justin B.

One Nation D5 EPL Paintball 2014!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Ok, you have been recommended some really good gear but I notice that nobody other than Playdoh recommended a good used high end so I will recommend a few.

Look these up in the search on PBNation or TechPB (Be sure on PBNation to use the search bar that say "Search this forum" and on this page is where you should look: http://www.pbnation....play.php?f=141)

Bob Long Vice - around $350

Bob Long marq 6 - around $350

Macdev Droid $300 - $350

A used Empire Axe for about $300 is good too.

(I have not owned any of these guns other than the Vice so my opinion may not be the best but these are some of the guns I was recommended when I was starting out. Also, I have shot only the Vice and the Axe but I have owned a Vice for a good while now and they are my first recommendation)

One Nation

My Feedback: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210995

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#15 Gameboy

Gameboy

Soccer+paintball=my life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

My suggestion would be:
Mask: 80+ the one that you like better
Loader: used super loader 80-150 depending on the loader
Tank: ninja or guerrilla but ninja is better because of the adjustable regs.
Planet eclipse elbow and knee pads 90 together.
Marker: used mid or highend 300 can get you everything you need
Pants: empire, dye, exalt or any pants you like 90+
Pod pack: proto fighter or valken crusade 35 for proto and 20 for valken (they are on sale right now)
Pods: get 10 worth of pods. (Not dye lock lids)
This should be less than 1k as you said your budget was.
If you are under 18 and pay for your gear put this in your sig

#16 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

A few thoughts.

• First, take all specific mask recommendations with one or more grains of salt. People can tell you honestly whether a particular mask works for them, but unless they have your head and face, they have no idea whether it will work for you. I agree with the general belief that masks are the most important piece of equipment, and that you should be willing to buy a premium mask if that's what fits/feels the best. That said, there's no substitute for going to a shop and trying on a lot of different masks.
  • Unless you're playing tournaments and need to hold lanes, you can easily get by with a used, mid-range loader. A Halo Too or Reloader B in good condition will go for $30 or $40 and will be fine.
  • The idea that you can "squeeze every bit of performance" out of a particular gun with upgrades is sort of a blind alley. If your marker shoots a paintball at 300 feet per second every time you pull the trigger, it's operating at peak performance. If you're looking for better performance as a newbie, play more, and work on better form, communicating better, and moving better. Gains you achieve that way will dwarf anything you can buy. Upgrades are mostly for convenience and cosmetics. Also, if you ever sell your upgraded gun, you will never get your "upgrade money" back. Most upgrades lose most of their resale value the minute they're sold (the first time).
  • The idea of a premium tank is funny to me. I'd love to know how many people with adjustable tanks regs actually ever adjust them. I own tanks from Ninja, Crossfire, and GA and they're all just fine. The most important consideration in buying a tank is length, as in "does it fit me." A Ninja Pro in the wrong size for you will suck, no matter how adjustable the output pressure is.

TL;DR: Buy less, play more.

Hope that helps a little.

#17 iehartpbhk4lyfeover9000bps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

odpb, thanks for the tips.my friend and I are going to go to a local shop this weekend and play one more time before we commit balls to the wall. My first goal is to try on masks... Will go from there.

#18 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,067 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Try on masks, pads, and hold every and all marker you can with a tank on there to see what you like and don't like. It may be a little much but see if you can shoot them too. 

#19 JoshO

JoshO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

You can get an empire events for 49.99 at ansgear, I bought my wife's dangerous power fusion fx on ebay for 180, I bought a carbon fiber guerrilla air 68/45 tank with a myth 2 low profile the for 70 bucks off Craig's list , I got her an invert too hopper for 70( which has no problems keeping up with 20bps). I got her pod pack. Off Craig's list font15 bucks nsx. So that's what 385$ for a nice setup. You for sure don't have to spend a crap load to get decent stuff. Just research and shop around. And ya there are a lot of haters on dangerous power but I've never had a single problem with them. Way better deals out there than even 770$. 

#20 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Mask: Dye i4/Jt Proflex (try to buy new, some used mask are just horrid so it's really hit or miss)

Gun: Go DM9, it's one of the best DM's and one of the best "Value for money" guns nowadays.

Tank: Like you said, Ninja simply for the adjustable regulator incase you'd want to try out Bob Long later on.

Hopper: Honestly, just go used rotor, cheap and durable. It's been in the top 3 loader category since it's came out.

109.gif

#21 hyoung41

hyoung41

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

look on the B/S/T forum here. there are a lot of great deals. I almost bought a geo 2.1 for $200. great deals are out there. you just have to look for them. you might also be able to get a used tank thats out of hydro for 30-50. hydros are usually 25 plus shipping. for the loader, pinokois are good and cheap-ish ($100). I also like the Z2, but look used if youre gonna get it. I would recommend pants because sliding on the field and getting a big cut from a rock up your leg sucks. I like the valken crusade pants. and as mike says in almost all his videos, don't cheap out on a mask. I use a sly profit and I'm not sure how I feel about it. definitely look into the 90-100+ range for a mask. the quality is just so much better and its also one of the most important pieces of equipment you'll have. after all, you can't do much without your eyes. my friend is a ref and every time I see him hes complaining about how all the people with rental masks are taking them off right when the get shot. thats really bad. get a mask that is comfortable and you can breath well in (E-flex probably has best breathability). your mask should be something that you can comfortably wear for hours (which you will, with breaks).

#22 iehartpbhk4lyfeover9000bps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

I Finally aquired the essentials;

1.Mask: Dye i4 w/clear and dyetanium bronze fire lense

2.Loader: Pinokio long nose smoke

3. Tank: Grey Ninja 68/4500 Adjustable Reg (Standard) least expensive 68/4500 from ninja

4. Marker: Planet Eclipse Etha, I picked it up used on Facebook for $175!

5. Elbow and Knee Pads by Planet Eclipse (overload)

#23 allisa jacqueline

allisa jacqueline

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

Once you have sorted out your equipment, why not try testing it out at proven UK paintball site?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bum, ass, clown, gog g1, best, beginner, gun, beginner help, help help i need an adult, rate my setup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users