10 replies to this topic

#1 P.A.N

P.A.N

Techpb to the front!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hey guys I recently got into pump play, and I went out  for my first time playing pump and I got 2 kills during the whole day. I use an Azodin kaos pump and I dont have slam fire. The majority of the times I was killed I was run up on and couldn't defend myself. Do any of you pump experts out there have any tips? I am a very aggressive player and I would push up the field hard off the break, and get run up on sometimes in the first couple of minutes. Help?

#2 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

That's just how it works. Playing against people with electros, when they find out its just a pump in front of them, they will run you down. You have to learn how to snap shoot REALLY well so while they're running up on you, you can snap a shot on them before they get to you. Playing super aggressive is really the most fun way to play pump anyway, but it is really difficult. Its the worst when you're playing stock class and someone bunkers you while you're changing a 12'ie haha!

#3 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

snapshoot

Field awareness 

get tighter in your bunker

#4 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Learn how to de-bunker someone. If they try to run you down pull away from the side of the bunker theyre coming from, stay tight with the bunker and blast their face off.

#5 DasJaco

DasJaco

TIGER STYLE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Your lightness is your friend and be aggressive as fuck

Lakeville Ambush #3

DLX Luxe 2.0

Dye Rotor

Ninja 77/4500

#6 P.A.N

P.A.N

Techpb to the front!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Lightness?

#7 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,111 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Depends on how you run you setup, but lightness refers to not having as much paint or as big a setup. In a typical day for me, my pump setup is my pump, regular sized tank and full rotor, but no pod pack. If I'm downsizing, I'll run a 50rd and a 13k tank, which makes it much smaller and lighter. Even more so are the guys running stock class, they barely have any mass to their gear at all.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#8 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Lightness?

He means to lack of heavy weight in your marker/pack.  Playing pump guns are typically a little lighter (you can use 50-100 round hoppers etc) don't really "Need" to carry a pack if you use an AKP you may not need extra paint outside your hopper for each game.  Thus your gear is lighter.  "lightness". 

Anyways, though typically with pump this may be true (for me it is for sure, playing stock class, no bulk tank or hopper at all) for you using an AKP, it is quite possible you have a 200 round Viewloader hooper, and a 20 oz CO2 tank, so your gun may in fact not be lighter then anyone elses.

Regardless of all this, what people are trying to get to is that playing pump (in any sort of speedball or close quarters or confined field) it is typically a good idea to close the gap, and be close to the opponent, this is because from far away, if you miss you can't "hone in" on your target by just shooting repeatedy each shot closer then the next until you hit them, at long range semi's have advantage for that.  Also If you are snap shooting, often you may get in a "snap shoot off" or fire fight with 1 other opponent, and if they are semi, the longer the range they have the more the advantage, they can dodge your 1 ball then pop out and fire a rope off.  The closer you are the faster the ball gets there, harder it is for them to dodge, this is why most (stock class) pump speedball players do well in the snake, they are so close and the opponent has much less time to "dodge" if you will the shot.

If it's any indication of importance of closing distance to the opponent, the blowfish had only 2 (out of 7 )non pump players, and they both played backman (for holding down lanes and cover fire mostly) and the rest of the 5 were very aggressive mids (who had INCREDIBLE snap shooting) and front players.  Playing pump in what you seemingly are playing (airball, speedball, any close quartered play) it is best for pumps to be close to the enemy.

Work on snap shooting, I practice in the mirror, popping both left and right, making sure your elbows are tucked, and only your hands, gun and a small bit of your mask are revealed behind what ever cover you are using.

here is a good video of Sonny Lopez of the LA Hitmen (a very respectable pump team at one time) talking about snap shooting and not going "all the way back into" the bunker

I wrote up an entire thread of pump tips, if you have time to read they may help with all the tips I have gathered over the years below, your amount of kills on the day is actually the first thing I address

http://www.techpb.co...0734-pump-tips/

tribs wrote a really good one for woodsball also if that pertains to you at all.

http://www.techpb.co...g-in-the-woods/

hope this helps, any other questions don't hesistate to ask, either here, or you can send me a PM (private message) here on the forums

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!
If you show me an inch, I'll show you the dead-box.

-Brett

#9 P.A.N

P.A.N

Techpb to the front!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

Lightness?

He means to lack of heavy weight in your marker/pack.  Playing pump guns are typically a little lighter (you can use 50-100 round hoppers etc) don't really "Need" to carry a pack if you use an AKP you may not need extra paint outside your hopper for each game.  Thus your gear is lighter.  "lightness". 

Anyways, though typically with pump this may be true (for me it is for sure, playing stock class, no bulk tank or hopper at all) for you using an AKP, it is quite possible you have a 200 round Viewloader hooper, and a 20 oz CO2 tank, so your gun may in fact not be lighter then anyone elses.

Regardless of all this, what people are trying to get to is that playing pump (in any sort of speedball or close quarters or confined field) it is typically a good idea to close the gap, and be close to the opponent, this is because from far away, if you miss you can't "hone in" on your target by just shooting repeatedy each shot closer then the next until you hit them, at long range semi's have advantage for that.  Also If you are snap shooting, often you may get in a "snap shoot off" or fire fight with 1 other opponent, and if they are semi, the longer the range they have the more the advantage, they can dodge your 1 ball then pop out and fire a rope off.  The closer you are the faster the ball gets there, harder it is for them to dodge, this is why most (stock class) pump speedball players do well in the snake, they are so close and the opponent has much less time to "dodge" if you will the shot.

If it's any indication of importance of closing distance to the opponent, the blowfish had only 2 (out of 7 )non pump players, and they both played backman (for holding down lanes and cover fire mostly) and the rest of the 5 were very aggressive mids (who had INCREDIBLE snap shooting) and front players.  Playing pump in what you seemingly are playing (airball, speedball, any close quartered play) it is best for pumps to be close to the enemy.

Work on snap shooting, I practice in the mirror, popping both left and right, making sure your elbows are tucked, and only your hands, gun and a small bit of your mask are revealed behind what ever cover you are using.

here is a good video of Sonny Lopez of the LA Hitmen (a very respectable pump team at one time) talking about snap shooting and not going "all the way back into" the bunker

I wrote up an entire thread of pump tips, if you have time to read they may help with all the tips I have gathered over the years below, your amount of kills on the day is actually the first thing I address

http://www.techpb.co...0734-pump-tips/

tribs wrote a really good one for woodsball also if that pertains to you at all.

http://www.techpb.co...g-in-the-woods/

hope this helps, any other questions don't hesistate to ask, either here, or you can send me a PM (private message) here on the forums

THANK YOU

#10 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

no problem, that's what we're here for! glad to have another person in the pump community... welcome to the darkside, we have cookies

EDIT: to add bit about being "outgunned" loosely related quote of myself as response to a different topic, but it feels somewhat appropriate to apply here

"

Being outgunned and needing more firepower is part of pump.  But replace the idea in you're head from "I need more firepower" to "I need better positioning"  or "I need to be a better snapshooter and a smarter player"

If you have the idea you are losing because you are being outgunned, then pump may never be satisfying for you.  Whether it's a T2 or a PGP pump action pistol.  If you have the thought in your head that the reason for your shortcomings is that the other person has an advantage based on what they are using, that is not going to change unless you have the most up to date, expensive high end gun.  You may perform a little better using an open class high performance pump (such as a T2, or any of the CCM line) in 'brute force' style firefights, but you will still be outgunned, and still lose the majority of heads up matches if you are trying to go shot for shot with people.

I play stock class, and almost always get picked before at least 1 person with a gun that shoots faster then mine.  Not because I can shoot faster, or because my gun shoots further, but because knowledge of the game, experience and playing technical and using good communication are far more important then the amount of balls you can rattle of per second when you are shooting at the chrono range.

So as someone who plays stock class, I am always out gunned, or at least equally the lowest rate of fire on the field.  I only refer to the disadvantage jokingly when I get picked to a team I don't want to be on (like saying "you sure you want me man? I'm only using a pump?!?" because I want to be on the other team, never works by the way, they end up always sticking with their pick).  The few disadvantages to playing pump when looked at in the most basic sense, are having to pump for each shot while others just need to pull the trigger (DUH) and for stock class (in my set-up, could vary) having to rock and cock (so taking the barrel off the target between shots) and reloading.  PRETTY SHORT LIST!

So if there is only 3 disadvantages, how do they play into you losing.  I admit, I am not perfect, at times I have wanted to blame my gun for my downfalls and losses and shitty days on the field.  BUT! When you look back and think about the times you were eliminated, where you playing perfectly?  I was down on stock class for a while, but when I thought about myself being eliminated on "bad" or off days, I could rarely, if ever think of a time where I was shot out while changing 12 grams or reloading paint.  I may be able to say "well I could have got that other guy out if I didn't have to rock and cock, or if I had a little more fire power he was a goner!"  But the fact that I missed, or bounced a shot, doesn't inherently mean I got eliminated.  So what usually leads to my eliminations is poor snap shooting, moving wrecklessly, not playing aggressive enough and allowing the other person to lay into your bunker while another person slowly advances carefully to an angle to shoot you out of bunker you.  There is always something I did wrong, along with usually the other guy not doing something wrong along the way that they were playing well.

It's usually not the gun man, it's tough to accept, and a lot of times losing in what feels like a situation where you have more skill and are losing to an "inferior opponent" who has a faster shooting gun, is usually just little mistakes that after you come down from the anger of losing you can look back and think, well what did I do to end up in a situation where that mattered?"

Edited by The-Phantom, 04 January 2014 - 12:33 AM.

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!
If you show me an inch, I'll show you the dead-box.

-Brett

#11 P.A.N

P.A.N

Techpb to the front!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Thanks man, these tips really helped me out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users