• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

So, im 24 years old and will be turning 25 in april. I have watched a lot of tournament paintball and played some in the woods. I did however just recently play my first game with a ref on the field. It was in january in michigan with 2 feet of snow but it was still a lot of fun even with rentals. Im looking into buying my equipment that I used to have and id like to start playing at a beginner competitive level. Paintball just seems to be one of those things that you start out really young with and get really good as you age but maybe im starting too late to play at that level. Should I practice at an airball field and work on getting better or is it just slightly too late? I see a bunch of young kids out there that have so much potential to get good through out high school and then start on a college team and as a college student, I would love to work my way up to a collegiate team but im worried I will be a bit too old for them to take seriously. 

#2 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

Its not too late to start playing competitively. Hell, the owner and back player for pro team San Antonio X-Factor is into his 40's. 

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 11 January 2014 - 12:25 AM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#3 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

look at bart yachimech
coach and owner of edmonton impact 
he has to be in his mid to late 50's and he still plays tournaments, like the nations cup in europe this past fall
the age that you're at is still perfectly fine

#4 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

Thats awesome to hear, Ive been wanting to get into paintball more seriously since I moved to a location that had more than a few guys who play woods ball (I hated that, had to run through bushy plants, yuck..). Im currently looking at getting some gear together since iv got the money for it and with that in mind, im also looking at jerseys because they are super comfortable when playing (along with pants), im just trying to get that stuff without coming off as a poser. Any advice for avoiding that kind of feeling at the field? I want the gear but dont want to be a joke if I can help it.

#5 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

Just play when you can and you'll get better. Just don't spend all of your money on gear and have none to play.

Also get nice knee and elbow pads before investing into a jersey.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#6 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

Im actually planning on getting all of it at one time. I will also have enough money to play though. Got a long list of stuff in my ANS cart at the moment including marker, loader, tank, tank cover, jersey, pants, knee pads, elbow pads, slider shorts (because sliding is fun), pod pack, pods, squeegee, and a head wrap. I already have my mask which I like a lot. Got the E-Flex, sooo much better than my old proflex imho. I dont worry that I might come home half deaf from being shot in the ear. Iv got an old pair of cleats I used to use so im probably going to use those to save some cash. Can anyone else shoot some ideas at me for stuff that is nice to have when playing?  If it sounds like I should be good then ill just roll with what ive got, but if theres just a product you cant live without that you think I should look into, im open for suggestion. 

#7 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

a large, durable bag with lots of pockets to hold your gear is good
so are pod caddy's

#8 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

Any bags in particular you can suggest? I just going to use a duffle bag that iv got laying around.

#9 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

I'm the opposite with masks, I went from grill to eflex to i4 and now to proflex. I hope I will get use to those proflex, and fast since I'm keeping them mint until my next tourney.

And those grill well let's just say they will turn into my new recball mask, the grill flex
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#10 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:25 AM

Any bags in particular you can suggest? I just going to use a duffle bag that iv got laying around.

a duffel bag will work just fine

#11 emag521

emag521

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Its not too late to start playing competitively. Hell, the owner and back player for pro team San Antonio X-Factor is into his 40's. 

He is 47 probably 48 at this point.

#12 Gameboy

Gameboy

Soccer+paintball=my life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

If you can you should look into used, marker and loader, and even the tank, those will work the same if well maintained new or used, because after the first time you use a new thing it becomes used, and you save a ton of cash. You can get a setup for 500 that would normally cost around 700-800
If you are under 18 and pay for your gear put this in your sig

#13 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

If you can you should look into used, marker and loader, and even the tank, those will work the same if well maintained new or used, because after the first time you use a new thing it becomes used, and you save a ton of cash. You can get a setup for 500 that would normally cost around 700-800

Agree with this point, I got my marker and tank for about 450 and brand new would of been like 800... Glad I got into used and didn't mind the minor tunning.

I got this bag on sale for about 120 and couldn't pass up the deal

http://www.paintball...okigebagwh.html

Also a caddy is nice as it's a quick unload to caddy and to marker instead of grabbing with hands of having them fly everywhere. Plus you can get rid of the box with just 2 caddies as they hold 1k balls. 

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#14 The Rec-Baller 217

The Rec-Baller 217

GET SOME PAINT IN THE AIR!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

there is never a wrong time to do the right thing...meaning play paintball as you wish

#15 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

I played my first tournament at 38. Had a teammate (his first tournament) in his mid 40's. So, nope, if you can run and hold your marker without breaking a hip, I'd say you're not too old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users