• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ragu

ragu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

I put a lot of effort into my latest video and it took forever until Windows Live Movie Maker said enough and started crashing: 

But analytics for it fair relatively poorly not quite sure how accurate it is but it is discourging I didn't expect rock star status but would expect somewhat of a higher audience retention time especially for a music video.  I have a bunch of other unedited footage from last year but most of my other videos which are normal game play video cuts have worst analytics on them, despite trying different things like making duel prespective videos by merging 2 seperate camera steams into one continous real time video (made harder by me oblitering a good camera and being forced to use an older generation one), splicing out boring bits, trying to add funny quotes etc.

I am not sure if I want to spend more time editing and cutting them if they haved such a low rention time and the audience drops out realitvely quickly.  I have also tried making some diy help videos when trying to expand a bit and those are even worst but I kinda expected that would only be of intrest to a limited audience didn't have to be physic to predict that so I stopped after the 2nd one.  Maybe I should just revert back to uploading raw files instead of editing.

Watch my Paintball Music Video Mag-fed chain-fed action

Walk Away:

https://www.youtube....h?v=a9UzZUCgkqI

#2 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

I don't know your personal goals as far as a paintball filmmaker but if your goal is for more followers you just have to promote yourself a bit more. Maybe you can make a Facebook page, and try and garner interest for your videos on there. My fan page currently has 600+ likes in just over a year. I don't think you should quit making videos but maybe not invest quite as much time. I'd upload gameplay videos with just easy cuts here and there of the boring stuff. Other than that I personally like your videos and would like to see you continue to make more! Don't quit on us! :P

Kaiserslautern Legion -Captain- All American Team Ballin in Germany! (Members from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the DoD)
Sponsored by: DXS, Oringmonkey, MAXS, HK Army
-DPL: Deutschland Paintball League & European Millenium Series-
Luxe Mob! (Reverse Poison Luxe 2.0 & Dust Black/Gloss Black 1.0 w/ ALL 2.0 Up's)
If You Haven't Already Please Like My Teams Facebook Page! http://www.facebook....tballKL?fref=ts

#3 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

Just to be honest here is what I think. Paintball videos on YouTube are generally very unpopular because of the small target audience. That being said you can't expect to get many views, likes, and subscribers. I personally know your frustration. I put 4-6 hours in my Christmas Montage, but it only has 20 views eventhough it's my best video by far. Another one of my videos has 2,000+ views when my average view count for my other videos are around 100. I just don't know.

Overall I would suggest just uploading less edited game plays and so montages once in a while. Just remember, if you dont enjoy making videos then why do it at all?

Edited by epic woodsballer, 11 January 2014 - 09:29 AM.

Ohio Raiders 

#4 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

ragu, 

I watched your music video when you first dropped it, and I honestly thought that was your first video... (not because it was bad, actually it was really good) but I had never heard of your stuff, I was shocked when I realized you have 100 videos. Think about it like this, there are TONS of guys out there with action cams filming their paintball games now. But, there are a few guys that everyone has heard of. Those tons of guys put out content quite often, and that is like making something cool and putting it in your front yard. Sure you made something cool, but it is sitting there and only cars that drive by and happen to be looking towards your house will see it. Of those, only people that are interested in what you built will even be interested in looking at it. But, they have to take effort to stop and get out of their car and go see it... 

You need to figure out how to get your content in front of the people that would want to see it. And that is done by "advertising" your content. 

Because a youtube video maker is a content producer, and if you don't advertise that content, it won't go anywhere no matter how good it is...

How many forums do you post your content on? I put mine on pbriot, reddit "paintballvideos", pb"youknow", a50g, x70g, paintballforum, facebook, Tippmannforum, and of course here. I like some forums more, so I put my content there first. Other forums i don't like that much so I rarely put my content on there, but I still put a video or two there every so often. 

Another key is to do a better job "branding" your videos. Right now, most of your video titles are VERY specific and short, and hardly any of them say what they are PAINTBALL. You play in the woods a lot, so WOODSBALL should also be part of your "branding". Then you need to label the title of the video with these terms.

One big problem with your content is that it isn't "yours". This is a HUGE problem if you want to grow your channel. You can only use content YOU own. Putting in transformers content/logo/video/music is a giant red flag, and will keep you from ever being high end youtube partner... As youtube won't promote any video maker that uses other peoples content. 

I've been making videos for YEARS, and it takes a LONG time before you see any type of response, unless you just get lucky... (jjron for example, he dropped his scopecam sniper video and it blew up on reddit, gaining over 800,000 views in under a week... that is EXTREMELY rare...). But, it CAN happen, and it was a GREAT video... He is now a youtube partner. I did it the hard way, just putting out new content often, and slowing gaining viewers. I've been making content since 08, and THIS year I started the year with 300 subscribers... That's it. 300... Today I have over 3,700 and it is growing by 20-50 per day (I had to turn off my subscriber notification this summer as I was getting them so often it was filling up my email inbox). AlabasterSlim was in a similar situation with a relatively low subscriber count at the beginning of this year, today he has over 60,000 subscribers!!! Now youtube is promoting him, and he is also a member of a youtube community so they get a portion of his profits, in return for promoting his content. 

I got my youtube partnership after about a year of making videos, because I had a video that had 45,000 views. (lookup on youtube "paintball accuracy test" and you can see it for yourself as it is #1). I made that 4 years ago. Youtube looks at content you produce, and how it performs, if you have lots of views, but they don't actually stay watching it (the audience retention in your analytics tab) it will rank low on youtubes recommendations. Look at your content, and figure out why people are clicking off. You have to remember, most people will watch a 2 minute video max... If you don't grab them in the first 15 seconds, they are GONE! 

Conversely if you have a video with very high audience retention, youtube will heavily promote that video (if you are a youtube partner), and you will get TONS of views from that. I have a few of those videos, and if you search on youtube normal paintball related searches, often my videos will be on the first page of the search. That is due to audience retention, and views, and my partner status, and the fact that I have only ever used my own content in all my video work. I also don't use music I don't have permission to use, that is another key stumbling block. Sure lots of people do it, but if you don't have permission from the band, you can't "legally" use it in a video... Unless it is creative commons content. So don't do it, as it will put your partnership possibilities at risk. And I look for keywords that people interested in paintball will search for and use those in my titles. 

Money...

Yes, you can make money on youtube videos, but it is like catching lighting in a bottle, unless you have a MASSIVE subscriber base it is hard to make any kind of decent money. When you get into the 50,000 subs, or more, then you start making enough to have it cover the cost of your paint/entry to play...

I don't do this for money, I do it because it is fun. I also HATE ads on youtube videos, so I don't put them on my content... I do have a channel with ads, (my blip account) and I used it quite a bit for a year, and made enough money from it to buy the tennis shoes I am wearing... That's it, and they were on sale... It typically makes a few pennies a day if you have good content... They have changed their setup now, and they don't have me searchable, so I haven't been using them as much lately because it is a hassle...  And youtube is much more popular, and I don't really care about the money, as it is too little to make it worth filing the taxes.

So all of that was to say, if you enjoy making content keep making it. Don't make it for other people make it for yourself. And if YOU don't enjoy watching it, then why would other people like it? 

Most paintball youtube content is hard to watch, it isn't edited, the cameras are too far from the target to see who you are shooting, and it is hard to follow. If you can figure out how to make content that the viewer feels like it is THEM playing the game, that is where fps is most successful. Especially if the viewer at home can SEE what you are shooting. Which is why I developed my ZoomCam system, as I wanted to be able to SEE the hits. Without having to get 30 feet away or closer...

here is how I built my Zoomcam, it is easy to do, and very low cost. (on blip)

http://blip.tv/trail...he-hits-6543575

#5 Exile308

Exile308

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

I have watched a lot of your video's.  I have found though that I do not like  paintball video's with music.  Would rather have it narorated.   Also I stopped watching they ones in this thread with the transformer stuff.  Just don't want to see all that type of stuff in a paintball video.

#6 ragu

ragu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

I only use 2 forums but didn't think about that before I only vaguly remember hearing redit.  Right now I'm working on audience retention and with the last comment I got the idea for a Skip Button just in case transformers isn't your thing I hope that works out better than in the past. Before I was using tf clips as bumpers and I even lined them up so they somewhat repersented the situation I was in for the movie.  I disabled ads too as they are annoying I don't really care for ad content money because I know I have to be big to get anything.   I thought the branding was done with youtube tags window, paintball woodsball medic canada etc. I kept the titles short so it was consise.  I already watched the zoom cam one but I will not be needing it though my wrecked gun cam sorta worked simallarly in right/left side footage. I prefer to push forward and get closer so most of my actions will be recorded, as for firing at range only when I need to make a connect and the recent videos I haven't edited yet may not show where it hit but I think calling out where it landed on camera and it should be fine, usually it doesn't matter much just as long as they're out and no medics are around or else it has to be a head shot.

Edited by ragu, 13 January 2014 - 09:43 PM.

Walk Away:

#7 Talucci

Talucci

Canadian Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

Wonder if Mike has any opinion on this topic, that's the pro content maker I would ask. 

To the OP, stick with the videos its not often I find a channel right when it starts but when the channel has quite a few good videos is when I'm intrigued. Get your name out and maybe try using a different editing software in the future. My personal favourite is The Final Cut. But your videos look pretty solid, keep with it mate.

#8 ragu

ragu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'll look into final cut, getting tired of movie maker crashing like there is no tommorow.  I guess I'll just try to spend less time on them and go with quick and  easy cuts for my next video going through a back log of unedited videos right now.  I'm not sure how intrested people are in videos where your team is pretty much steam rolling over the other team due to massive numbers but lets see how that goes.

Edited by ragu, 26 January 2014 - 12:10 PM.

Walk Away:

#9 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Keep in mind Final Cut is only for mac

Ohio Raiders 

#10 ragu

ragu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Well that just ruined my parade and saved some time, I'll try to find something for pc that runs on an outdated pc.

Edited by ragu, 26 January 2014 - 12:15 PM.

Walk Away:

#11 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Check out pinnacle studio and corel videostudio. 

Ohio Raiders 

#12 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

I'm no expert, but I would suggest working with your gear a lot. I for one am very interested in what video makers are using because I might want to try and do something like that myself. Gear videos would be a good

idea.

For instance, you are using an ATS AT85 with a Goblin Deuce mounted under the barrel, no? Those markers are less well known, especially the AT85. If you can make the thumbnail of your video show off that unique marker it might pique the interest of a viewer. Of course, that will only get them to click on it, you need to make the rest of it entertaining to keep them watching.

I actually enjoyed your video quite a bit. I like your aggressive play style. I think it could be made better by getting rid of transformers (just my opinion) and by narrating your videos similar to the way AlabasterSlim does it.

P.S. What red dot sight are you using that you have mounted on top of your scope? (see what I mean?)

Edited by Scum, 01 February 2014 - 11:33 PM.

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#13 ragu

ragu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

All I get for the thumbnails is the random 3 yt selects unless there is some sorta time I can insert a picture and it would become one of the 3 I don't think I can.  I don't have a mic so captions will have to do for now, next time I'll try to self narrate on the field but you do get a sense of what is going on when I'm talking to my friend on what we should do next.  I'm going with the SKIP button to bypass tf if you don't like it for now but I haven't figured out where to place it probably the top middle might be best.   I guess if there is a greater demand for a gear video I could try one but I would need tips on what to talk about or else I'd probably be going through specs and be really short.  Right now I'm focusing on finishing up the unedited footage I got 2 full events I haven't done yet and 1 partally unfinished one.  That red dot is just a genaric cheap one, I prefer the dot reticle

Edited by ragu, 03 February 2014 - 11:15 PM.

Walk Away:

#14 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

All I get for the thumbnails is the random 3 yt selects unless there is some sorta time I can insert a picture and it would become one of the 3 I don't think I can.  I don't have a mic so captions will have to do for now, next time I'll try to self narrate on the field but you do get a sense of what is going on when I'm talking to my friend on what we should do next.  I'm going with the SKIP button to bypass tf if you don't like it for now but I haven't figured out where to place it probably the top middle might be best.   I guess if there is a greater demand for a gear video I could try one but I would need tips on what to talk about or else I'd probably be going through specs and be really short.  Right now I'm focusing on finishing up the unedited footage I got 2 full events I haven't done yet and 1 partally unfinished one.  That red dot is just a genaric cheap one, I prefer the dot reticle

Self narrate on the field probably isn't worth it. You'll be breathing hard and trying to get your train of thought together will distract you from the game.

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#15 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

if you no longer have anything to say, then stop making videos.

the problem with most paintball "celebs" is they stick around long past there usefulness.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users