28 replies to this topic

#1 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Doing the final test tomorrow. Did the first part last Thursday, and i scored 53/65 on the questions with 52 being the limit. The nervousness is starting to creep up on me, but as of now i'm not worried too much. It's the little things most people fail on. Like missing a one-way sign or what have you. 

Hope i pass, my parents will be out of town from wednsday to sunday and they are leaving the car at home, and they said as long i pay for gas i can use it to my heart's content.

Funny thing is that we have been pretty much snow free this winter, but mother nature decided it would be a good idea to dump a ton of snow on us right now. The day before the test. Why? Because fuck you, that's why. 

Anyways, i'll report back tomorrow and let you guys know how it went. 

Edited by Carolus Rex, 12 January 2014 - 02:26 PM.

o8qo.jpg

#2 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,917 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

Make sure you physically turn your head when you check your mirrors, make it really obvious that you check all of your mirrors often, that's one major thing that most driving test people check to see that you're checking your mirrors, and checking your mirrors by moving your eyes isn't something they can see, so move your whole head so they can see you checking your mirrors.

Make sure you have smooth pedal control, it'll be a bit harder since you'll be nervous, but you don't want a ton of jerking, that's a good way to upset the tester.

It's better to be slow and steady than fast and jerky, it's not a race, so take your time and try to be calm.

That's how I passed my driving test with flying colors on my first try.

#3 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

They have extra mirrors in the car setup so they can see your eyes without having to directly look at the driver. But still, you are absolutely right. One of the things i've struggled with is checking my blind spots and always keeping my head on a swivel. They want you looking in every direction at times. 

I usually handle stress quite well, so again i'm not too worried. But this time might be different. I'll make sure to drive slow and steady to avoid/make up for any mistakes i might make. 

The Volkswagen Golf I'll be driving is really forgiving with the clutch compared to other cars i've driven, especially compared to our 2004 Volvo V70. Although the brake can be really touchy some times.

One of the great thing most schools do is letting you have a 45 minute warm up before the actual test. Which is great considering the nuances between driving our V70 and their Golf.

And the test starts at 11 am. So there won't be much traffic.

But i better head to bed now, gotta be well rested before a test like this!

o8qo.jpg

#4 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Make sure you come to complete stops when you're supposed to. That's a big one. And make sure you stay at or under the speed limit, and follow the caution signs for curves and such. At least where I live, driving the way you have to for the test, isn't quite like everyday driving. So you just have to drive for the test, and when it's over with, you can drive normally. Cause driving is just really common sense, knowing the rules (such as right of way), and knowing the signs and signals. Have fun and be safe yo!

#5 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

Complete stops, smooth acceleration, NEVER go above the speed limit, keep adequate distance from cars, etc. etc.

My test was stupid easy. Once I did the parallel parking I just drove around about a 1/2 mile area in a big loop and passed.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#6 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:21 AM

15 degrees this morning, fucking freezing i tell you! Hopefully this won't cause to many problems.....

Thanks for all your tips guys. 

o8qo.jpg

#7 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

If half of the idiots on the road somehow got their license, I see there's no reason why you'd fail at getting yours.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#8 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:03 AM

I did it! I fucking did it!

o8qo.jpg

#9 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

I have to say though, it was easy as fuck. Easier than i could've ever imagined. Checked some stuff inside the car, drove for 25 minutes and passed.

o8qo.jpg

#10 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

I had to check almost everything inside the car and outside the car then answered some quastions and drove for 45 minutes.
It was easy though.

#11 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

Haha you would probably be offended how easy the US driving tests are compared to the European ones. We also have much less class and instructor drive time.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#12 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,917 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

I have to say though, it was easy as fuck. Easier than i could've ever imagined. Checked some stuff inside the car, drove for 25 minutes and passed.

Yup, doesn't surprise me it was easier than you thought. My test was pretty easy too, way, way easier than I thought it would be, based upon what the class was like.

And yes, it's much, much easier to get a license in the US than in most European countries.

#13 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

Yup, doesn't surprise me it was easier than you thought. My test was pretty easy too, way, way easier than I thought it would be, based upon what the class was like.

And yes, it's much, much easier to get a license in the US than in most European countries.

Not to mention cheaper as well....

Edited by Carolus Rex, 15 January 2014 - 02:22 AM.

o8qo.jpg

#14 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

I drove about 250 miles yesterday, which is by far the longest i've driven in one day. Where as at most i've driven for about an hour at a time, this was driving four hours straight, a one hour break, and another two hours of driving. And i have to say, it's freaking difficult not only keeping your attention on the the road and other traffic around you, but not nodding off while driving. I am a absent-minded person as it is, so monotone driving for long periods of time I find is pretty hard, at least for me as a beginner driver. While i am talking to a person our dissucsion can start a trail of thought in my mind that makes me completetly zone out, and i catch myself maybe 30 seconds later, having missed a good portion of our conversation. This, in relation to driving, can be very dangerous, and is something i really have to improve upon. One of the things that i have noticed helping, is oddly enough listening to music. My own theory is because it keeps my mind occupied in such a way I don't start to zone out. 

I guess this is one of those things you can't learn at a school. It comes with time and as you get more experienced. Me coming from a small town where traffic is never really bad and going to the biggest city in sweden also makes it alot harder. 

We will be making the trip back tomorrow, and i will be driving again. We'll see how it goes now that i got an idea of my limits and capabillities. As well as having a better understaning of highway/interstate driving.  

Edited by Carolus Rex, 08 February 2014 - 05:06 PM.

o8qo.jpg

#15 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,917 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

School can only teach you so much, as you're finding out. The real world teaches you a lot more. I listen to music a lot when I drive, unless my passenger is the kind of idiot who just has to sing along. If that happens then I turn the music off, since it's rude to punch them in the face.

Just finished the first half of my motorcycle class, the final day is tomorrow. Imagine your driving class but so much worse, and more aggravating, because you have so much more to learn in such a short amount of town. And then you have people who cant keep a decent pace and the entire rest of the class is forced to slow down because we have to keep single file. At least in a driving class you're usually out on the road and allowed to pass.

#16 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Oh i can imagine. I took a license for driving moped when i was 15, and yes that's a thing and yes it's quite silly but there is swedish law in a nutshell for you. So whenever i would be doing something with other people i had to restrain myself a little. Because i knew a decent part of what we were going through. You want to show that you have the knowledge, but at the same time not take up a huge amount of space and look like giant douchenozzle. 

That sucks with the whole same pace thing. But good luck with your motorcycle license!

And my parents don't really appreciate heavy metal and that kind of music. Especially not for six hours straight  :P

o8qo.jpg

#17 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,917 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Tell your folks they should be happy you don't have acidic sweat. I destroyed the cover on my mom's steering wheel in the places I held onto it all the time, because that's what my sweat does. She had to get a steering wheel cover to cover up what I did to her steering wheel, and I proceeded to destroy that too. xD

Now she has a new steering wheel cover, and I have my own car, and I try to move my hands around more so I don't do the same thing to my car.

#18 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Lol no my hands are fortunaly sweat free for the most part. At least as long as you don't turn up the heat enough for me to start sweating dad! :P

o8qo.jpg

#19 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

All this talk about Sweden and driving makes me remember I have to go on a roadtrip to Sweden again soon.
Haven't done any border shopping in a while. Only issue is I'm not exactly diving the most practical car these days.

Edited by Nobben #44, 08 February 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#20 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

All this talk about Sweden and driving makes me remember I have to go on a roadtrip to Sweden again soon.
Haven't done any border shopping in a while. Only issue is I'm not exactly diving the most practical car these days.

If you do make sure to stop by and play at my local field. :P

o8qo.jpg

#21 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,917 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Well, I passed my motorcycle class. Your turn. :P

#22 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

It's in that part of the country? Around Svinesund or around Strömstad?

#23 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

It's in that part of the country? Around Svinesund or around Strömstad?

Unfortunately no, i live in the southeast.  Just a bit outside of Kalmar.

o8qo.jpg

#24 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

Well, I passed my motorcycle class. Your turn. :P

Congrats TK! That's awesome!

o8qo.jpg

#25 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,917 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

Why thank-you. :) Going to see about taking my written test tomorrow. If I pass that, then I'll have my motorcycle license.

#26 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

Why thank-you. :) Going to see about taking my written test tomorrow. If I pass that, then I'll have my motorcycle license.

My Bike will still be better then yours :P

Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#27 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:35 AM

Nothing beats this little thing  ^_^

26364221494732521605114.jpg

1958 (iirc) NSU Quickly

Really fun to drive and surprisingly comfertable.

o8qo.jpg

#28 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,917 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

That bike would get you some goofy looks here in the US. :-P

But I got my motorcycle license today. Now I just need to get the money for protective gear and a bike.

#29 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

They just jelly of my baller as fuck moped. 

Congrats again TK! Drive safely.

o8qo.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users