• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

there is essentially no need, on any level, for a gun with more capablities then this one to be effective and have fun playing paintball:

IMAG0363_zps7034c856.jpg

its smaller and lighter then a classic mag or cocker

more effenct then a mag, smoother then a cocker

simpler, more reliable then just about anything, no complex loader required

more firepower then a pump
not so much firepower that you are tempted to waste paint

and way way cheaper then anything else.

i have spent thousands of dollars and hours of testing, only to return from which i started.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Cute. 

I will always have cockers or splatmasters once I sell my electros but I do get where you are coming from. Now if only multimillionares did the same thing. 

Edited by kingJurzy, 18 January 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#3 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

I wish everyone had that understanding. I believe if more people thought like this the paintball community would be a lot bigger. The idea out there is the better your marker the batter you are, which is completely untrue. This turns a lot of people away from our sport/hobby, which is quite disappointing. This is a really good and 100% true, unbiased conclusion. Yes, some people like the best thing out there (i'm kind of like that) but thats just because I like shiny, new things. I'd be just as capable out on the speedball field with that marker as I would my luxe. Great post!

Kaiserslautern Legion -Captain- All American Team Ballin in Germany! (Members from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the DoD)
Sponsored by: DXS, Oringmonkey, MAXS, HK Army
-DPL: Deutschland Paintball League & European Millenium Series-
Luxe Mob! (Reverse Poison Luxe 2.0 & Dust Black/Gloss Black 1.0 w/ ALL 2.0 Up's)
If You Haven't Already Please Like My Teams Facebook Page! http://www.facebook....tballKL?fref=ts

#4 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

i have spent thousands of dollars and hours of testing, only to return from which i started.

Is this primarily a philosophical or a practical insight? Are you really saying "it's possible to get by with a mech stacked tube blowback," or are you saying that you'll be playing with one of these from now on? If it's the latter, I might have some soul searching to do...

#5 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Is this primarily a philosophical or a practical insight? Are you really saying "it's possible to get by with a mech stacked tube blowback," or are you saying that you'll be playing with one of these from now on? If it's the latter, I might have some soul searching to do...

i love all my guns, and enjoy playing with them too. thats because some of the fun of paintball to me, is using different kinds of guns. this does not mean they are nessisary to have fun playing paintball, or in any way give advantage.

there is something excellent though about playing and winning with essnetially the same gun you started with so many years ago.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

#6 PostalTwinkie

PostalTwinkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

It really doesn't take a lot to get into the sport, I played for a long time with a $110 Spyder and a few simple ups to it. Although having not played in many years and just coming back I am looking at several far more expensive options....

Still, point stands, a lot isn't needed to actually play the game. 

#7 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,916 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Cockerpunk has it right, you don't need a $500+ marker to be competitive at paintball. Look at all the people who use a $100 Tippmann and do just fine. I used to have a warped Automag, and even though I suck at paintball I did just fine against $1000+ electros. It's less about the marker and more about the skill, which is what so many people don't understand. Too many people think you can't be good in paintball unless you have the newest and the greatest marker that is offered. As long as a marker will reach about 10bps, and 300fps, and be fairly consistent about it, then you can stand up against anybody. You could hand Houston Heat a bunch of setups exactly as Cockerpunk has pictured, and they'll still be able to wipe the floor with people using Egos, and Geos, and Rotors, and whatever else super duper expensive equipment they like to use.

Old Dude, not only can you get by with a stacked tube mechanical blowback with an old school Revvy on top, you can even excel with one and stomp the floor with people using $1000+ setups, because it's less about the marker and more about the skill.

#8 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

We can talk about Skill > Gear all day and as much as I agree... when the other 5 guys at the opposite end of the field are at least as good as you you're gonna want to put as much paint as possible at them and have something youre comfortable with. That doesnt need to mean "latest and greatest, most expensive, etc." but there is a difference between having fun and being competitive. There are times to put yourself at a disadvantage equipment-wise and times not to.

#9 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

It looks like your ideal model is slightly off.  It should've looked more like this one.

70sUDif.jpg

Edited by cockerpunk, 19 January 2014 - 07:25 PM.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#10 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,949 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

I have an aversion to mechanical sear trippers. If it's a mech Ion/Enmey then I share your sentiment.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 18 January 2014 - 07:43 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#11 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,916 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

We can talk about Skill > Gear all day and as much as I agree... when the other 5 guys at the opposite end of the field are at least as good as you you're gonna want to put as much paint as possible at them and have something youre comfortable with. That doesnt need to mean "latest and greatest, most expensive, etc." but there is a difference between having fun and being competitive. There are times to put yourself at a disadvantage equipment-wise and times not to.

But if the other team is limited to 12.5 bps, and your fingers can put 12.5 or 13 bps in the air, then the amount of paint the super fancy markers are slinging doesn't matter. That's the single most important point that so many people miss entirely. Most fields limit walk-ons to 10bps, and PSP limits teams to 12.5 bps. It's really not super difficult to shoot at those kinds of speeds with a mech marker. So the amount of paint flying through the air is exactly the same, whether they're shooting a $1000 Ego or a $150 Azodin.

And I'd be more impressed with someone consistently shooting 12.5-13 bps on an Azodin than I would be when someone is shooting 5-6 bps on an Ego and the marker ramps it up to 12.5 bps, because shooting the Azodin would take more skill, since it's a smidge harder to shoot 12 bps than it is to shoot 5, or whatever entry point the Ego needs before it ramps up.

So what little disadvantage you'd put yourself in, with using a mech as opposed to an electro, would easily be made up by having the skill to consistently shoot 13bps in semi-auto. And the supposed disadvantage would be so slight that it might as well not even exist.

Edited by TK-421, 18 January 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#12 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

But if the other team is limited to 12.5 bps, and your fingers can put 12.5 or 13 bps in the air, then the amount of paint the super fancy markers are slinging doesn't matter. That's the single most important point that so many people miss entirely. Most fields limit walk-ons to 10bps, and PSP limits teams to 12.5 bps. It's really not super difficult to shoot at those kinds of speeds with a mech marker. So the amount of paint flying through the air is exactly the same, whether they're shooting a $1000 Ego or a $150 Azodin.

And I'd be more impressed with someone consistently shooting 12.5-13 bps on an Azodin than I would be when someone is shooting 5-6 bps on an Ego and the marker ramps it up to 12.5 bps, because shooting the Azodin would take more skill, since it's a smidge harder to shoot 12 bps than it is to shoot 5, or whatever entry point the Ego needs before it ramps up.

So what little disadvantage you'd put yourself in, with using a mech as opposed to an electro, would easily be made up by having the skill to consistently shoot 13bps in semi-auto. And the supposed disadvantage would be so slight that it might as well not even exist.
Yeah Ill be impressed when I can actually see someone edge or lane at full ROF with a sear tripper. The point of things like ramping is so you dont need to think about or expend effort on shooting at that ROF. Sitting in back center someone might be able to hit 12BPS easily with an Azodin by fanning the trigger or similar but just wait till theyre moving, getting shot, communicating, reloading, etc.

Cockerpunk, since you are such a proponent of people buyer better (therefore more brittle) paint, can you deny the benefit of an operation thats softer on paint than a blowback or eyes that prevent chops?

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 18 January 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#13 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

He's got a regulator and the zero system on his blowback.  Plus he is underboring with the Lurker eigenbarrel, so his overall operating pressure has dropped from 600-700 down to under 300 psi.  His ability to shoot more brittle paint will therefore be increased, at least grades like premium, formula 13, 3 star, and similar.  I don't think the eyes really matter at newer, lower field speeds (I'm looking forward to 10.2 as a new standard) or are worth the cost of a battery generally.

#14 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,916 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Yeah Ill be impressed when I can actually see someone edge or lane at full ROF with a sear tripper. The point of things like ramping is so you dont need to think about or expend effort on shooting at that ROF. Sitting in back center someone might be able to hit 12BPS easily with an Azodin by fanning the trigger or similar but just wait till theyre moving, getting shot, communicating, reloading, etc.

Cockerpunk, since you are such a proponent of people buyer better (therefore more brittle) paint, can you deny the benefit of an operation thats softer on paint than a blowback or eyes that prevent chops?

See, that's the problem with today's paintball world, most people don't have the skill to do that. Ramping has taken a large majority of the skill aspect out of the game, which makes a lot more boring to watch. You don't get to see good trigger work like you do if people were allowed to play uncapped semi-auto. You're not rewarded for having any trigger skill, so why bother learning it? Soon being able to walk the trigger faster than 10bps will be a lost art, because we have ramping, which sucks.

People should be able to play based upon their skill, and what they can do, not what their marker can do. We should play uncapped semi, and if you don't like it that someone shoots faster than you, then step up and work on your trigger control, and learn how to shoot faster. Don't just wuss out and make your marker's board shoot faster, make yourself shoot faster.

And as long as your loader feeds faster than your marker will shoot, you don't need eyes. Chopping happens when the bolt moves forward when only half the ball is in the breech. If your hopper feeds faster than your marker fires, then you won't have to worry about that.

Edited by TK-421, 18 January 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#15 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,949 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

I said it in my earlier post, but I'll say it again. In my opinion, an Enmey or mech Ion is a better choice than a sear tripping blowback. Same benefit characteristics without any of the blowback issues. If the gun hiccups or has an issue, it automatically resets itself due to the fact that it's fully pneumatic. No need to recock it, soft paint handling stock, better trigger pull due to not needing a robust sear, small and light.

Paintball needs more sear-less pneumatic mech guns.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#16 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Old Dude, not only can you get by with a stacked tube mechanical blowback with an old school Revvy on top, you can even excel with one and stomp the floor with people using $1000+ setups, because it's less about the marker and more about the skill.

I get it. I mostly play pump these days. I was just worried that cockerpunk was settling down with just one marker

#17 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

See, that's the problem with today's paintball world, most people don't have the skill to do that. Ramping has taken a large majority of the skill aspect out of the game, which makes a lot more boring to watch. You don't get to see good trigger work like you do if people were allowed to play uncapped semi-auto. You're not rewarded for having any trigger skill, so why bother learning it? Soon being able to walk the trigger faster than 10bps will be a lost art, because we have ramping, which sucks.

People should be able to play based upon their skill, and what they can do, not what their marker can do. We should play uncapped semi, and if you don't like it that someone shoots faster than you, then step up and work on your trigger control, and learn how to shoot faster. Don't just wuss out and make your marker's board shoot faster, make yourself shoot faster.

And as long as your loader feeds faster than your marker will shoot, you don't need eyes. Chopping happens when the bolt moves forward when only half the ball is in the breech. If your hopper feeds faster than your marker fires, then you won't have to worry about that.
Because firerates when NPPL were uncapped were based entirely on trigger walking ability and not bouncy triggers/cheater boards. :rolleyes: Your argument against ramping (using a board to do the work for you) is exactly why VERY few leagues today still have uncapped semi as their regulation mode.

Why people think moving two fingers faster is a skill that takes precedence over accuracy, laning, running and shooting, etc. I frankly dont think Ill ever understand. Ramping has changed the game in far more drastic (and I would argue positive) ways than causing a mass loss of trigger skills.

An agitating hopper like a revvy doesnt keep tension on the ball stack in the feedneck which means paint can bounce around in the feedneck and breach causing cracked shells, especially if used on a marker without eyes where you might be clipping the next ball in the stack.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 18 January 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#18 PostalTwinkie

PostalTwinkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Because firerates when NPPL were uncapped were based entirely on trigger walking ability and not bouncy triggers/cheater boards. :rolleyes: Your argument against ramping (using a board to do the work for you) is exactly why VERY few leagues today still have uncapped semi as their regulation mode.

Why people think moving two fingers faster is a skill that takes precedence over accuracy, laning, running and shooting, etc. I frankly dont think Ill ever understand. Ramping has changed the game in far more drastic (and I would argue positive) ways than causing a mass loss of trigger skills.

An agitating hopper like a revvy doesnt keep tension on the ball stack in the feedneck which means paint can bounce around in the feedneck and breach causing cracked shells, especially if used on a marker without eyes where you might be clipping the next ball in the stack.

I would almost argue that Ramping is bad for the sport. I know back when I played and electrics started to take off a lot of players quit; they didn't want to get nailed 15 times each game. It went from one or two well equipped and fairly experienced players per game, having high rate, to anyone that picked up an electric. It also introduced the whole "Well, I can't compete because they shoot three times as fast" mentality, which further drove people away. 

I guess I look back around 1993, and what the field of play was like, and compare that to now or even ~10 years ago. An entirely different game.

#19 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

When I started playing I got a Tippmann A-5. Today, I STILL use the Tippmann A-5. I play semi auto only, and have never felt "outgunned" when playing. I have no clue what my bps is, and I've never used a battery powered hopper. I just like playing for as little cost as possible. 

#20 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,949 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

To be fair, the Cyclone feed isn't in the same class as a gravity feed hopper, since it's linked to the ROF of the gun. You are essentially using a force feed hopper without batteries.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 18 January 2014 - 11:39 PM.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#21 saintnoir

saintnoir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

my two most used markers are a blazer and a cocker(yah its a 1500 dollar twister but itd still a cocker) ill go out with a smg 60 using a 68 special sear to make it semi and still hold my own we are way way to gear oriented

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java the thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion"
2k3 dark angel,2k1 c@c angel,dark ir3,2k1 angel,99 led,2k2 lcd,2kad,05,06 speed,g7,A1,A1 fly......yup i like angels

#22 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

I would almost argue that Ramping is bad for the sport. I know back when I played and electrics started to take off a lot of players quit; they didn't want to get nailed 15 times each game. It went from one or two well equipped and fairly experienced players per game, having high rate, to anyone that picked up an electric. It also introduced the whole "Well, I can't compete because they shoot three times as fast" mentality, which further drove people away. 

I guess I look back around 1993, and what the field of play was like, and compare that to now or even ~10 years ago. An entirely different game.

But for the majority of the time since 1993 most electronics markers were limited to semi by fields and leagues. I completely agree with your sentiment that the volume of firepower electros offer is not neccesary in recball/open play and even harmful. But does that mean that assisted fire modes have hurt the sport since their introduction and later, their induction into league rules? Correlation doesnt equal causation. If people truly believed skill > firepower would they have been intimidated out of the sport as electros became common?

If someone overshoots someone who shouldnt be, that is a failing of the player. If it is because of the fire mode they used, that is a failing of the player. Unfortunately there is no test or license that prevents some buffoon from buying an electro and planning to stroll into walk-on play with it set to full auto and destroy rentals. What there IS however is a community of players and refs/employees that SHOULD prevent that kind of behavior. Markers (including their boards) are tools - not inherently beneficial or destructive. Should the minoritie's misues prevent the majority (of players with electronic markers) from benefitting from proper use against equal opponents? I say a resounding no.

#23 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Yes I can play just fine with any $100 marker. But I have been cursed with American Consumerism and the ability to fund a habit. 

Due to events outside my control I have at least for a while "Culled" my high end whoring for the immediate future. I have only my Sniper Pump, my 05 Dynasty SFT and a Project Salvo for a beat on gun. 

Paintball can be cheep and inexpensive, however at least in my case the gear aspect is a big draw to it for me. Marker collecting, tuning, and trading is in many ways a hobby in its own right. Different strokes for different folks, if everyone has a different marker that has a particular hold over them and once they find it thats what they stick with.

2 Years ago I bought my little brother a Kaos for his birthday, he still shoots that gun over anything I have when we go play. To this day its his favorite gun and it has never once given him any issues. 

Edited by bigx, 19 January 2014 - 12:14 AM.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#24 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,115 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

indeed

It looks like your ideal model is slightly off.  It should've looked more like this one.

70sUDif.jpg

if you notice, this is koas body with the zero system installed, basically a koas D ;)

#25 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

Too bad Spyders have no character or soul, Tippmann master race.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#26 Simiballer

Simiballer

Professional Pillow Fort Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

there is essentially no need, on any level, for a gun with more capablities then this one to be effective and have fun playing paintball: IMAG0363_zps7034c856.jpg its smaller and lighter then a classic mag or cockermore effenct then a mag, smoother then a cockersimpler, more reliable then just about anything, no complex loader requiredmore firepower then a pumpnot so much firepower that you are tempted to waste paintand way way cheaper then anything else.i have spent thousands of dollars and hours of testing, only to return from which i started.

Thank you! I currently use this same setup, just with a Halo Too hopper, and I was able to outplay a FULL TEAM of Dye sponsored players, with the other four with me using rentals. My field doesn't even allow ramping, unless you're doing a team only practice sort of thing.
If you're under 18 and pay for your own stuff, put this in your signature.
On a side note... Royal Highlanders rule!

#27 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

I felt this was fitting, 

manual-new.gif

Edited by SOUP, 19 January 2014 - 07:40 PM.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#28 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

I shoot an eNMEy with a Prophecy and a Disruptive 68/4500, and a Deadlywinds barrel. Due to my ankle problem that arose during last years season, and that it's off season at the moment, I've been content with using only that the past couple of months. And I still excel with that setup. Smooth, quiet, lightweight, cheap.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#29 walk on pro

walk on pro

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

doesnt matter about your gear just matters that youre happy

Horizontal Stock Class CCI Phantom

2011 Proto Rail, Draxxus 68/45 with Ninja Pro Reg, Halo Too with Exalt Speedfeed, CP .685 14 inch 2 Piece Barrel.

#30 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

You know, I can't believe I missed this the first time around, but what on earth are you doing with those springs sitting behind the sofa?

#31 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,115 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

You know, I can't believe I missed this the first time around, but what on earth are you doing with those springs sitting behind the sofa?

wouldn't you like to know ...

#32 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Well, I have two guesses.  The first is that you change out your shocks for racing.  The second is that you're building a ridiculously large projectile launcher.

#33 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,115 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Well, I have two guesses.  The first is that you change out your shocks for racing.  The second is that you're building a ridiculously large projectile launcher.

what about both?

#34 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

I'll stick to shooting high-ends and 10bps Ramping. It's a more interesting game than the "sit in the corner and shoot 17bps semi" thing.

Now slow shooting mechs on the other hand, that's fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users