• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

So... I used to play a lot a few years ago but stopped playing due to no place to play the kind of paintball I wanted to play. Im now in college and have an airball field to play at now so I went and bought some new gear. Since I had NO gear at all I decided to buy all of my stuff at once so it was a decision I made to buy some stuff that matches. Got a black empire mask, black red and white empire jersey/pants combo, black and red hk gloves, black and whtie hk head band, black nxe pack, black/red nxe tank cover, and a white and black freak to go on my black axe. (also bought all my PE pads but since you cant see them I didnt put them in that list) Im a big guy already (225 lbs) so I deal with weird looks already in any sort of sport that requires some athletic ability, because I have none. I really dont want to look like a "poser" or a "tryhard". From what I have described, how would you see people are your local fields reacting to what for all intensive purposes is a learner with matching gear. I really shouldnt care what people think but its hard to have fun and care free when being judged and im a very self consious person. Is what I have described too "poserish"?

EDIT: its this jersey (http://www.ansgear.c...eyransomred.htm) with matching pants, I just got this until I can get my college teams jersey from Kohn.

Edited by gtarman8d, 20 January 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#2 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

It's funny, I am certainly not the most skilled player out there. But, I have a sexy blue and black jersey from PE. My Profilers are in like new condition. I have my pod pack and Invert pants. Then there's my Rotor, Rail and carbon fiber tank. When new players come to the field they look at me like I'm a professional baller. Other players who dress as though they may be part of a team look at me the same. But then I start talking. Not talking shit or anything, but about how I just look good. I'm not a great player at all. Then everyone starts laughing, we head out to the field and play the game we all love.

I think, for me, not making a big deal out of how cool my gear looks, not being a loud mouth (ok one who brags, without the skills to back it up) and can joke about myself. All of this puts people more at ease and they seem me as a guy who loves the sport and wants to play. Perhaps, here and there a few will see me as a poser. It happens.

#3 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

It shouldnt bother me but im just human and nobody likes to be judged.

#4 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

As long as you arent the guy who talks like hes the next Ollie Lang but sucks you have nothing to worry about. Wear what YOU like and find comfortable.

#5 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Oh I know im learning and am VERY willing to learn from experienced players, im not going to get better if im not. Im not the most noobish person in the game as I know to an extent what im supposed to do, but im certainly not "good" by any means, just not horrible. My stuff was on sale and happens to match.. so... I did rofl

#6 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

who cares what you look like, just go out and have fun. 

Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#7 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Go out and look fun. Play well. Just dont talk or act like a poser, and you'll just be the guy with cool gear. Like me.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#8 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

What is acting or talking like a poser? Is it reminiscing about old mech WGP cockers with the skilled players even tho I only used it when I was still in my scared to get hit phase? lol

#9 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

No its being the guy that says "Oh I smashed their team last game" when you got shot off the break. Juat dont be an asshole basically lol. Not a problem for most people out there but theres always that one person.

#10 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

A poser (in anything) is someone who does something to simply fit in. The sport, game, activity or situation is not something they necessarily want in their lives, but doing, usually badly, just to fit in. You know, those guys with the gear in the world, yet no skill or talent, but the first to tell you how bad ass they are. There's a great thread on Paintball Steriotypes. http://www.techpb.co...ll-stereotypes/ You'll find a lot of poser types listed.

Edited by Wolfe, 20 January 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#11 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

Those situations honestly make me feel quite uncomfortable. We were playing a winter game a few weeks back with myself, my fiance, sister, her boyfriend, etc.. and I was the only one with my own mask so I was the only one that wasnt fogging up constantly. We were playing a group of 15-17 year olds that just got new guns for xmas (ethas, axes, etc..) and we were all using rental guns. They had the ramping going and shot my little sister and her friend right away. Eventually, being the only one that could see anything, I took out the last of their players and my team had told me that I shot the entire team because they might as well have shot into the sky since they couldnt see anything. It was cool to know, but made me feel kind of uncomfortable because im not a spot light type of guy and I play games competitively but humbly at the same time.

#12 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

I think you're obcessing too much. Go, have fun. Let the posers, the wipers and know-it-alls do their thing. Long as you're playing your game and having fun, nothing else matters.

#13 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

I think you are absolutely correct! Ill go play as soon as I can, but... I think ill wait until the 2 feet of snow is gone off of the field. It was fun, but man, turns out its hard to run in that much snow lol

#14 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

If someone making a comment or laughing at you would ruin your day, then you might want to back off the matching a bit. If you can just laugh it off and keep playing, then go for it. All you really need to do to lose the power ranger look would be to replace the jersey with a long-sleeve T shirt, and maybe replace the headband with a no-name beanie or hat.

#15 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

My awesome (or not so awesome) paint skills at work! lol

2rc2zbl.png

Edited by gtarman8d, 20 January 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#16 Honest joe

Honest joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

That setup looks awesome. Don't worry about what people think, just go play.

#17 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

That setup looks awesome. Don't worry about what people think, just go play.

More truth in this reply than many realize.

Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#18 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

I'm jealous now. Ass.

#19 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

Really does it matter what people think? I also have matching gear but instead of red I have blue. I also have the axe but upgraded to deadly winds barrel, and use a pinokio with the extended nose. I constantly get asked questions about the nose and my experience since I am 1 of 2 people that own that hopper. I brush off the comments because I go there to have fun and waist paint or let out my frustrations on $#!t talkers. One day I bought a shemagh because I got hit in the neck and it really hurt, some random poked fun at me saying that I look like im going into battle, I shot him in the neck and he asked me where he could get one after the game ended. Also some people look at you differently (with the gear you posted) because they're jealous and can't buy what you have. Just keep that in mind, you earned what you got whether it be self earned money or gifts, but you got the gear you liked/wanted and that's what it all should come down too

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#20 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

It really doesnt matter, in fact, kind of  embarrassing to even considering what other people think. Im 24 damn years old in a business college for accounting... what the hell do I care what people (who are supposed to be grown ass adults) think or say. Got into this game because I like it, not because other people like that I like it, so im going to play it like that just as an adult should.

#21 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,919 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

I used to wear totally matching black and white 2010 PE gear, and nobody gave me any weird looks with it. Not like I would've cared if they gave me looks, I don't care what other people think or say about me. I do what I want because it's what I want, I don't do stuff because I'm worried about what someone else might say.

#22 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

I show up to play in old as shit OD Green and Black angel airtime pants whichever mask I feel like wearing that day, a cut off T-Shirt and my Armpads. 

I get no looks from anyone. I am fat, and nobody pays me any attention at all until the horn blows and I take D2 off break and wreak house. 

The truth is nobody cares what you look like, if you can ball you can ball. Nobody will question you.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#23 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Well, my paint picture isnt as far off as I had imagined it would be lol Just got everything in the mail so I thought id post a REAL pic of it

mcbtyt.jpg

Edited by gtarman8d, 23 January 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#24 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Nothing wrong with it, it's better then newbies trying to look OG

109.gif

#25 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Sent the pants back anyway, they looked cool but made me feel like a hockey goalie when I wore them. Most likely going to get a pair of black (because they match everything) hk army pants. I like my stuff to match and when I get my college jersey (gold and maroon) it will match better with black pants.

#26 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

I wouldn't get the HK pants honestly. Our team had some issues with tearing/riping in the crotch

#27 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Whats your recommendation for black pants?

#28 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

The ones you sent away haha, I'm a lover of Dye pants but everyone has a polar opposite experience with them, some say they suck and others swear by them. Also try G.I. pants

109.gif

#29 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

They dont made the pants I sent away in black, also, they didnt fit right. Im a big guy and im losing weight so im looking for something that I can use now but also use when I drop a few lbs.

#30 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

Like I said, G.I pants are pretty bad ass and so are dye, if you want a better variety check out planet eclipse, and of course you can never rule out exalt either. All these pants are well adjustable and should do well, I would suggest looking for store that stocks them to try them on because paintball pants are notorious for running too small or too large. 

109.gif

#31 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Exalt pants are the best Ive ever used for what its worth.

#32 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Which ones? The exalt thrashers? What did you like about them?

#33 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Yeah Thrashers. Light, breatheable, perfect amount of padding to have with kneepads, THEY COME IN TAN <3<3<3

#34 hyoung41

hyoung41

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

I have the old valken crudade pants. the only reason I'm getting new ones is because I've drown out of them. not sure if they come if black. I know the new crusade pants do. also, whenever i went to the field when I was just starting out and there was someone in matching gear, I felt awesome whenever I shot them. it just made me think that I was so good because I shot someone with matching gear, even though they weren't that good. you're just getting back into the sport and probably won't leave any time soon (based on the amount of money you spent on gear), but someone is just starting and if they shoot you, they'll feel great and probably get into the sport for good. 

#35 gtarman8d

gtarman8d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

How do the exalt pants fit? Do they run big, small, or an accurate sizing? The reason I had looked into the hk army pants was their double sizing thing (xl/xxl). It was appealing because it was such a wide range of sizes surly there wouldnt be any second guessing as to the size. I would have assumed to check the sizing char (which is what I did for my pants that didnt fit..) but it didnt go so well for me in the past. Wish I had a paintball place within 2 hours of me to try things on.

#36 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

Exalt pants run slightly long in the inseam and have a HUGE range of waist adjustment. Im skinny so the drawsting waist adjustment works a lot better for me too.

#37 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Disruptive Gen 2 pants are pretty great as well. Still pretty cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users