Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

#2 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

Alright Gord here is my situation/idea. 

First off I'm starting a tournament team this summer which is going to be awesome. So then I realize how am I going to afford to practice and will the field even allow my team to practice there because the speedball field isn't always up. So that got me thinking of asking the field if my team helps ref on Saturday, could we practice for free or at a much lower price the second day. Then I realized a problem, a field doesn't need that many refs and reffing is fairly boring. So, I then thought of the idea of lessons.

What if instead of reffing one day and practicing the other, we would offer lessons one day and practice the next day. I know my field wouldn't just agree to this without seeing a gain as any other field would so I though of a few "selling" points. We would take a group of new players out to one of the 4 different fields at the facility and teach them how to play the different fields and a long the way teach them the basics of paintball. We would effectively be teaching them the key positions and how to play each specific field while teaching them the universal tips of the game. 

They would be taught...

-How to hold there gun

-How to play a bunker

-How to move up

-How to aim accurately

-How to work as a team to win the game

-How to snapshoot (This may be two advanced for some players so we wouldn't get to into detail here)

-General Safety procedures (Not overshooting, etc)

-And other miscellaneous stuff as well as answering questions

The lessons would probably last for about an hour to an hour and a half depending on how fast things are moving and what the field owner wants. Once the lesson part is over we could have the players have a basic game with just the people that took the course. 

The points the field owner would want to know is that having lessons is a good hook for players that may be on the fence about playing because they don't have any experience or if they're nervous. When the time comes for them to actually play they will already be comfortable with the field and have confidence to do well. This will mean that they will be willing to make better moves and overall have a better time, almost ensuring that they will come back, or even get there own gear one day and become a regular. 

I'm by no means an expert at paintball, but I'm one of the better players at my field and have a lot of knowledge I can give. 

Also I have noticed that most new players at my field get overshot by other new players and not by regulars. I have been overshot (even bunkered and overshot at the same time) by renters more than a regular has done it to me BY FAR. But since us regular have faster guns the finger is always pointer toward us...Its sad.

Ohio Raiders 

#3 gmore70

gmore70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Alright Gord here is my situation/idea. 

First off I'm starting a tournament team this summer which is going to be awesome. So then I realize how am I going to afford to practice and will the field even allow my team to practice there because the speedball field isn't always up. So that got me thinking of asking the field if my team helps ref on Saturday, could we practice for free or at a much lower price the second day. Then I realized a problem, a field doesn't need that many refs and reffing is fairly boring. So, I then thought of the idea of lessons.

What if instead of reffing one day and practicing the other, we would offer lessons one day and practice the next day. I know my field wouldn't just agree to this without seeing a gain as any other field would so I though of a few "selling" points. We would take a group of new players out to one of the 4 different fields at the facility and teach them how to play the different fields and a long the way teach them the basics of paintball. We would effectively be teaching them the key positions and how to play each specific field while teaching them the universal tips of the game. 

They would be taught...

-How to hold there gun

-How to play a bunker

-How to move up

-How to aim accurately

-How to work as a team to win the game

-How to snapshoot (This may be two advanced for some players so we wouldn't get to into detail here)

-General Safety procedures (Not overshooting, etc)

-And other miscellaneous stuff as well as answering questions

The lessons would probably last for about an hour to an hour and a half depending on how fast things are moving and what the field owner wants. Once the lesson part is over we could have the players have a basic game with just the people that took the course. 

The points the field owner would want to know is that having lessons is a good hook for players that may be on the fence about playing because they don't have any experience or if they're nervous. When the time comes for them to actually play they will already be comfortable with the field and have confidence to do well. This will mean that they will be willing to make better moves and overall have a better time, almost ensuring that they will come back, or even get there own gear one day and become a regular. 

I'm by no means an expert at paintball, but I'm one of the better players at my field and have a lot of knowledge I can give. 

Also I have noticed that most new players at my field get overshot by other new players and not by regulars. I have been overshot (even bunkered and overshot at the same time) by renters more than a regular has done it to me BY FAR. But since us regular have faster guns the finger is always pointer toward us...Its sad.

What a brilliant and simple idea. I love it!

If you do this...please keep in touch. I would like to share it.

Also, do put it on the Online Lessons Directory: http://www.socialpaintball.com/lessons so others can see what you are doing and so family, parents, kids and players can find it and join. 

Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea! This best ideas are always the simple ones

#4 SnapShooter4

SnapShooter4

Not actually that good at snapshooting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

My field separates players by experience. But you still get the older guy with a rental, over shooting somebody every now and then. As I'm watching this I'm thinking.... maybe we should do age groups. Much like baseball or football. 10 year old's play with 10 year old's. Just an Idea.. And maybe when that 10 year old kid gets the skills to play with the older kids or experienced players via playing the game, OR lessons. Here's my idea I guess: 

Beginners ages: 8-10

Beginners ages:11-15

Beginners ages: 15-17

18+

Experienced Players: 8-10 (those with gear and play a lot)

Exp: 11-15

Exp: 15-17

18+

Now I do see this could potentially be a problem. It eliminates fathers and sons playing together or mothers with daughters together.Maybe there could also be a specific group just for occasions like this? Just an idea I threw together while watching this IDK.

#5 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

"Would've helped kid" 

Fuck that, if a kid ask me for help he aint getting it, although that's because where I play paintball renters aren't allowed (yes an actual airball field) If you buy your shit to play and then ask help from someone else mid game, nope.

Overshooting is always going to happen, I overshoot all the time. It's just a habit I've picked up from playing airball and events, now if I go to a renter field I still put an extra couple of balls on people I shoot out. 

3_zpsxumdj9dm.gif

#6 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

"Would've helped kid" 

Fuck that, if a kid ask me for help he aint getting it, although that's because where I play paintball renters aren't allowed (yes an actual airball field) If you buy your shit to play and then ask help from someone else mid game, nope.

Overshooting is always going to happen, I overshoot all the time. It's just a habit I've picked up from playing airball and events, now if I go to a renter field I still put an extra couple of balls on people I shoot out. 

This is why nobody likes you. 

Im the guy who runs out with a pump, pistol or a random stupid setup with new players or in rec play. I play a lot of high level airball too but I know when to turn it off. Its all knowing whats appropriate in a given situation. 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#7 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Will do :)   Now I just need the cooperation of the field owner and we can start doing this. If my plan does work I plan on eventually documenting it by making a video and written response as you suggested.

Ohio Raiders 

#8 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

"Would've helped kid" 

This is why nobody likes you. 

Im the guy who runs out with a pump, pistol or a random stupid setup with new players or in rec play. I play a lot of high level airball too but I know when to turn it off. Its all knowing whats appropriate in a given situation. 

Everyone likes me, I'm almost the only one who doesn't bitch about getting overshot :D

3_zpsxumdj9dm.gif

#9 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

"Would've helped kid" 

I hope you forgot a dodgy... :(

#10 SnapShooter4

SnapShooter4

Not actually that good at snapshooting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

"Im the guy who runs out with a pump, pistol or a random stupid setup with new players or in rec play. I play a lot of high level airball too but I know when to turn it off. Its all knowing whats appropriate in a given situation."

This is what everybody should do! Like I said before, I no longer play with renters because my field separates groups by experience and how often they play, but if a renter wants to play with "A" group then they can at their own risk.

#11 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

My field separates players by experience. But you still get the older guy with a rental, over shooting somebody every now and then. As I'm watching this I'm thinking.... maybe we should do age groups. Much like baseball or football. 10 year old's play with 10 year old's. Just an Idea.. And maybe when that 10 year old kid gets the skills to play with the older kids or experienced players via playing the game, OR lessons. Here's my idea I guess: 

Beginners ages: 8-10

Beginners ages:11-15

Beginners ages: 15-17

18+

Experienced Players: 8-10 (those with gear and play a lot)

Exp: 11-15

Exp: 15-17

18+

Now I do see this could potentially be a problem. It eliminates fathers and sons playing together or mothers with daughters together.Maybe there could also be a specific group just for occasions like this? Just an idea I threw together while watching this IDK.

I honestly think this isn't a viable option for MOST fields out there.

- First off, age doesn't really determine skill much at all. I've seen plenty of 15 year olds shred through older guys because they have speedball or team experience and know how to play the game.

- It will it take much more refs to run separate games at the same time. (therefor costing the fields more money)

- If the field doesn't pull massive numbers of people to every walk on, then this method would likely break up a good size woodsball game into a whole bunch of less fun small games. Shooting at 30 people is a lot more fun then having it broken up into a bunch of small groups playing 5 vs 5s or something Personally I would much rather play games with a lot of people than just a few. If a field did this I don't think I would enjoy playing as much. I really enjoy playing games with newer players, teaching them how to improve and getting them excited to be getting into the sport.

#12 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

I have two shockers and a pump. The pump serves 4 Purposes. 1 When the Shockers get sad in the cold. 2 When im too lazy to carry a pod back so I play hopper ball with a pump. 3 When im playing with people who dont know what they are doing. 4 when I want to play all pump games.

This is why I think its good to have multiple guns at your disposal. 

Its much easier to change your state of mind when you are not going to gun someone down with the same gun you use in tourny play. 

Edited by bigx, 21 January 2014 - 11:11 PM.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#13 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'm just being honest about what I do on the field, if i go on a renter field and some kid is scared it's a different story but not some kid with brand new everything on an owner only field. 

3_zpsxumdj9dm.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users