28 replies to this topic

#1 AoSpades

AoSpades

I'll poop on your parade with big, stinky, liquidy facts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Heads Up Display is the name of the game for this topic. It's becoming a reality for many different applications, whether it be the noteworthy Google Glass or some of the more below the radar specs like BMW's mechanic glasses that allows pretty much anyone with common sense and a sense of directional following to fix their own car with the help of 3D imaging overlays.

Now, Oakley has come out with a HUD for Ski/Boarding goggles that you can sync with your mobile device and gives you a HUD that allows you to play music, see your speed, check Facebook statuses and can even locate your friends, all displayable on a heads up display that is the equivalent of viewing a 14" screen from ~5 feet away.

I for one will more than likely be getting the Oakley HUD goggles as I love snowboarding and find it a very, very nifty feature when I go with my family or friends. Moreover not having to fiddle with my phone whilst wearing gloves trying to change songs and what not.

While, yes, they are expensive for now, I'd LOVE to see something like this implemented in high end paintball masks. The JT Proteus was kind of a precursor to this type of technology with the implementation of the integrated communications. What do you all think about this?

Oakley HUD linky

Edited by AoSpades, 22 January 2014 - 08:44 AM.

2012 G6R || 2010 VICTORY || CROME 2 || ROGUE || LEGEND || THRESHOLD || G3

SPLASH ANNO'D CUSTOM PUMP || BLACK AKA'D KARNIVOR PUMP

Step up your game: Go A.P.E.

#2 Sin_Ister611

Sin_Ister611

Dude with a gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

Paintball is like camping, the last thing I want to do when doing it is check facebook messages.

Though I see where you're coming from and I agree it would be cool, I'm unsure if the time and money a company would have to dump into this would be worth it for them in the end. I could see markers being used to know how many from what team are left in a game, rough ball count in your hopper, but that would require a ton of money and research thrown into hoppers as well. Outside temp., but if you're outside in it you have a pretty good idea how hot or cold it already is, speed would not be so important as a lot of paintball I've been seeing is just locking down a bunker and laning, unless you're the tontons and down points.

I'm sure I'm not thinking about all the other possibilities that could be integrated though.

Those goggles are BA and I wanted a pair, but there aren't many places to snowboard or ski in Kansas and our snow is usually gone by the afternoon it snows anymore.

#3 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,312 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

Oakley isn't the first to design goggles, but it is a major company jumping into it and others will probably soon follow.

I can't really we it becoming a huge thing in paintball. The only useful things I can really see in a paintball HUD is approximate paint, team location, balls per second, and a game timer. Motion tracking technology would be cool, but is probably quite a few years off.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#4 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,898 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

I'm still waiting for a pair of Google Glass that are actually useful and don't make you look stupid while wearing them.

#5 bowmasta

bowmasta

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

https://www.facebook...Project?fref=ts

He's been doing it for a while now on multiple different brands of masks with all types of different systems. 

He was using the same control pad as well.

Funny how this topic pops up ever few months.

What?! I'm all out of powdered toast?!

#6 AoSpades

AoSpades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

Implementations I think would be nice could be a map overlay that can pinpoint your location and your friends / teammates locations through the pairing of your mobile device via bluetooth. Using that you can get a birds eye view of your location and your buddies locations on a map. That, for me, would work wonders for larger fields or scenarios that have VERY large fields of play. The implementation of a microphone and ear piece in one or the other sides of the mask, as well as a 'popup on the HUD when you or a teammate is speaking into it to show who exactly it is that is talking.

BPS and chronographing I can see as a possibility as well, again with the availability of bluetooth syncing with the hopper and in turn being displayed on the HUD. However G.I. Sports has already come out with a hopper that gives you the chrono reading, moreover chronographing your marker is a bit of a moot point in the middle of play seeing as your markers should have been chronographed before walking onto the field to play.

BPS is also a bit of a moot point seeing as you have the availability of OLED boards readily and easily showing you what BPS your marker is shooting at.

Edited by AoSpades, 22 January 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#7 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

You'd need something more powerful than bluetooth, since bluetooth doesn't have the kind of range you'd need for that AO.

Plus, the knowledge of what your marker is currently shooting mid-game gives you the ability to realize something is wrong if you're suddenly getting massive spikes or drops in fps.

#8 AoSpades

AoSpades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

You'd need something more powerful than bluetooth, since bluetooth doesn't have the kind of range you'd need for that AO.

Plus, the knowledge of what your marker is currently shooting mid-game gives you the ability to realize something is wrong if you're suddenly getting massive spikes or drops in fps.

Well, bluetooth pairing to the HUD would mean you would have to take your phone with you. But, using 3G/4G off the phone in tandem with an application such as buddy finder, or an even greater expansion to something like a completely custom application specifically for HUDs, creating customizable combinations of displays such as having the buddy finder/map constantly displaying and when someone is trying to communicate something, the map disappears momentarily and is replaced by a name to show who is on the comm. I can see this being a possibility.

In regards to fps spikes, i can see this being an issue to newer players, but for people who have been playing paintball for a while, it is easy to visually see when you are spiking and experiencing dramatic FPS decreases or increases... And again, if it is that much of a concern, I think the G.I. hopper would be an easier fix than implementing a chronograph into the HUD, especially considering the mask is the furthest point from the barrel of the marker.

#9 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Bluetooth paired to your phone makes more sense, I thought you were talking about using bluetooth to communicate between the masks themselves, as opposed to bluetooth talking to your phone which then talks to other phones.

#10 AoSpades

AoSpades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

That's just silly talk.

#11 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Less complicated than getting a phone involved. :P

#12 AoSpades

AoSpades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

FOr smaller, regular weekend play or speedball sure. But for larger games, who doesn't take their phone with them. Deadboxes last for up to 30 minutes in some cases and after you've filled your tank, paint and camelback, what better way to pass the time than hop on your phone? Hell, I've got a beefy case on my phone and a safe, zipup pouch on my podpack that I don't really have to worry about messing it up during any kind of play, whether it be speedball or otherwise. So my previous assertion of phone pairing is quite feasible in my eyes, maybe not for others though.

#13 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

HUD plus an Intellascope would be cool

#14 The Rec-Baller 217

The Rec-Baller 217

GET SOME PAINT IN THE AIR!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Maybe it will be like how the NFL has radios inside the QBs helmets to where only one person in each squad may have them. Like only a few people on each team have them but not everyone. Just my 2 cents....

#15 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

I think it would be too temperamental, people like light masks, I'm 100% sure an HUD system would add noticeable weight to a mask.

109.gif

#16 Vlocityfan104

Vlocityfan104

:O la gasp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

i think it would be cool for tournys to put layouts and such in the hud with lanes that each person should shoot etc

#17 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

i think it would be cool for tournys to put layouts and such in the hud with lanes that each person should shoot etc

actually it wouldn't be that bad if maybe coaches used it to tell players to do things? That would be pretty bad ass, probably would be banned fast but would be cool while it lasterd.

109.gif

#18 AoSpades

AoSpades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

I think it would be too temperamental, people like light masks, I'm 100% sure an HUD system would add noticeable weight to a mask.

I don't think so. If a HUD can be implemented in shades and Goggles, it clearly doesn't weight enough to be overly noticeable. Moreover people run HD camera on their masks all the time and I'm sure that the HUD would weigh as much, if not less than, the cameras currently on the market.

#19 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

I don't think so. If a HUD can be implemented in shades and Goggles, it clearly doesn't weight enough to be overly noticeable. Moreover people run HD camera on their masks all the time and I'm sure that the HUD would weigh as much, if not less than, the cameras currently on the market.

Problem is, the companies that develop that tech have alot more money to do so then paintball companies, especially when the profit on the masks is very minimal

109.gif

#20 AoSpades

AoSpades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Problem is, the companies that develop that tech have a lot more money to do so then paintball companies, especially when the profit on the masks is very minimal

Unless that company is the first to do it. There is no profit gouging or market saturation when you are the first company to do it.

Hell it doesn't even need to be an entire mask replacement. The HUD could be built separately and could be made as a drop in feature. For the Flex it could be an addition to the bottom or top piece of the mask, E-Vents it could be a replacement for the ear piece. Or it could run along the addition space some masks have underneath the lens pane on the inside. Or it could be an outward addition that displays on the outside portion of the mask. There are several possibilities that allow for a company to save very much time and money on ditching an entire mask built around it and instead making it an add-on accessory.

Edited by AoSpades, 23 January 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#21 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Fair enough, I also just googled it and came up with a thread from pbn, alitt old but still relevant 

http://www.pbnation....d.php?t=3894938

109.gif

#22 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

I'm definitely going to be looking into doing something like this by myself as soon as I get my long waiting list of mods done.... :(

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#23 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

I would love to be able to see bps, fps, approximate balls left and approximate air left.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#24 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

You guys are gonna freak when you see the HUD system I've been developing...

I've already cracked and bent my iphone 5 during the in game testing... DOH! 

It turned out to be a good thing as the broken glass gave me easier access to the iphone motherboard so I could make some needed hard wired modifications to make my Sony HD camcorder "speak" with the software I've been hacking to get it all to work together. 

#25 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Lol "hacking"
109.gif

#26 AoSpades

AoSpades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

You guys are gonna freak when you see the HUD system I've been developing...

I've already cracked and bent my iphone 5 during the in game testing... DOH! 

It turned out to be a good thing as the broken glass gave me easier access to the iphone motherboard so I could make some needed hard wired modifications to make my Sony HD camcorder "speak" with the software I've been hacking to get it all to work together.

Not sure if srs...

#27 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

I will drop a video on my channel when I am ready to show it to the world.

I'm working through all the issues currently... It will probably be a month or two before I'm ready.

#28 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

You gotta break stuff to make stuff... 

PaintballHUD2.jpg

#29 Adventure Guide

Adventure Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

I could definitely learn to love HUD that had a compass, and could be synchronised with the gun's board to view bps, firing mode, fps, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users