6 replies to this topic

#1 adjren

adjren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

What's crack-a-lackin homebrews?  ;) 

Just wanted to start off by introducing myself; long time lurker, first time poster - budget baller extraordinaire. 

I am a slave to the grind down at the good 'ol Walmart, and when I'm not getting whipped by members of management with an internet printed business degree; I LOVE trading paint. I don't care if I'm stuck with the heavy beat to $#!% metal framed rental Tippmann's, and a pod in my cargo pants pocket; I just love being on the field. 

Well, I care a little.

I know it doesn't make a very good argument me working for the antichrist and all, then giving my hard earned money to GoG.... but it's all I can do to siphon some funds out of my budget to get a reliable marker my fiance won't have me decapitated for splurging on. 

GET THE RAIL BRO

My local paintball venue has an ENORMOUS array of multi-genred paintball fields. Having a cheap-ish 'all around' type marker is a huge deal to me, especially the whole "waterproof" board thing. 

So, theoretically speaking (since it's been out for a little while now, and there are more mod possibilities than most forums have spoken for) if I wanted to COMPLETELY TRANSFORM A GOG EXTCY TO BECOME MY ULTIMATE BOONIES BINKY BOBBING RAVER KID SMASHING BOOMSTICK, what are my options?

Bonus points for... oh let's just say for dreaming's sake, money wasn't an option... how could I max this thing out?  :ph34r: 

I appreciate any input, including but not limited to "bro, you're an idiot, here's a list of reasons why the Proto Rail would decimate your eXTCY"; or, "you use too many semi colons inappropriately, and lay off the X heads; they're just late bloomers".

#2 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Wrong way to go at it, really. Rather than buying a $250 gun and dropping another $250 on parts, a $500 gun will be far better. Water proofing may sound like a big deal but all guns are resistant to the point you need them to be, I've never had a problem throwing my guns around in puddles or washing them off in the shower. 

Axe is a good gun at that price, but if you are open to going used there are many other (and better) options.

Edited by Cookybiscuit, 23 January 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#3 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

First off, welcome to the forums.

Also, I feel that the eXTCy is a better choice than the Rail anyway, and your timing is perfect. ANS has the eXTCy on sale for 199.99, which is 50 bucks off the normal price. So, if you plan on getting an eXTCy, you better get it now.

And, if I were to spend an enormous amount of money on an eXTCy (which I don't advise, but hey, it's not my wallet), I would put on a Freak barrel, QEV, L7 or DW Hollowpoint bolt, Violent Trigger, and maybe a new ASA, reg, and macroline to finish it all off.

Like Cooky said, if you plan on dropping 250 bucks in upgrades on this gun, you would honestly be ahead to just go buy a 500 dollar gun.

#4 adjren

adjren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

=0 well thank you folks; I guess the reason I asked for a 'money not an option' response, was just to get an idea of the best quality products should I upgrade anything at all, and you didn't disappoint. I totally agree on the money point. I was originally gonna follow a friend's move and just say; eh f it, I'll get a Fenix. Once the aftermarket parts started rolling, I remembered about a year ago ruling that idea out completely in favor for the X. 

If I could bug you for one last insight;

besides weight balance, would there be a significant difference in upgrading the barrel?

#5 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Honestly, not really. Weight balance won't be noticeably different, and barrels are aesthetic for the most part anyway. I like Freak barrels because I have two different backs which allow me to use it on just about any gun out there, inserts if I wanted to play around with efficiency or prevent rollouts on pump guns, and I can put on different length fronts or an Apex barrel if I wanted.

Basically, if you wanted one, it does have some benefits, but you can totally just use the stock barrel and be fine.

Edited by PREDATOR 47, 23 January 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#6 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

L7 bolt,QEV and CP on\off ASA,some spring detents and you'll be set.If you can find a gen 3 Hollowpoint bolt even better

I've had pretty much every version of the Ion platform and several version's of the Rail,stick with GoG

Edited by Punisher068, 23 January 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#7 Gameboy

Gameboy

Soccer+paintball=my life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Buy a used supergun, there are many options for superguns starting at 250 dollars. Those would be a little older but they are still good shooters, like the droid for example. After you decide how much you want to spend, then we can help you even more.
If you are under 18 and pay for your gear put this in your sig

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GoG, eXTCY, Upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users