5 replies to this topic

#1 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Today's ansgear.com deal of the day is a 32 Degrees Rebel 02 Bottomline paintball gun for $29.95. Why should I not buy this gun?

I figure it is crap, garbage, not even worth that low amount of money, worse than a rental, etc.

I am hoping that you guys can educate me on what technical aspects of the marker's design make it a bad purchase?

A few that I a guessing at:

• angled feedneck (need an angled adaptor to fit any kind of reasonable hopper)
  • no front handle (the hose goes right into the bottom of the gun, meaning that you will hold and eventually fray the hose)
  • No regulator (not even sure if this is true).

Thanks!

...um...I have another stupid question...

#2 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

The things you listed are spot on, and it's also a Spyder-type blowback gun. It's going to be VERY loud, it will kick a lot compared to other guns. And probably the biggest issue is that it's 32 Degrees, which was bought out in 2006 by Kee, and then discontinued and the products were rolled into the Extreme Rage brand. This means that this gun is old stock, found in some warehouse somewhere, and I have no idea if they are refurbished, or that they have just been sitting for years and they may or may not have issues.

#3 r45vt

r45vt

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

They probably have o-ring rot...

Last time I was at ANS I heard one of them mention that(they might have been joking).  It's not like o-rings are expensive or anything.  

If you wanted a spare marker for a friend it might not be horrible.  Oh wait, it is.  It really is a bottom of the barrel marker.  For the price to have one kicking around might not be bad, but it really would be a waste of money.    Rental guns are a step up from this.

Edited by r45vt, 24 January 2014 - 01:18 AM.

#4 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Imagine putting an elbow on that wonky feedneck. The very bottom of your loader would be two inches above the top of the gun. That's a tall setup.

#5 Kjimenez

Kjimenez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. They're Spyder clones, so just about anything from an older Spyder should fit. O-rings *should* all be tank o-rings, if I remember correctly. But I have Spyders from the 1990's that have the original o-rings. These aren't that old, and are probably fine. Yes, you'll need a 7/8" elbow. Get an APP Atomic Elbow or Pro Team Products Pro Feed. 

You're correct that there is no gas-through grip, expansion chamber, or regulator. Just a standard bottomline. If you feel the need to add one, you can pick up a used one for a few dollars. Or you can hold onto that hose. It's stainless steel, you're not going to hurt it or "fray" it. It's better than macroline.

Yes, this is a discontinued marker, but it's exceedingly common and a clone of the most common gun out there. You won't have any trouble finding parts for a long time, and it's so simple that you shouldn't need to replace anything other than o-rings, springs, and maybe a ball detent.

This is leaps and bounds ahead of some poorly-maintained rental and would pay for itself in 2-3 trips to the field. At the very least, it's worth having as a backup or loaner. They don't get much simpler than this so it's a good backup.

If you're really adventurous, you can even turn it into a pump.

#6 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

I would buy one of every model they display just for the nostalgia factor.. And the fact they are dirt cheap.. They are new and have no complicated parts, you may just need to replace orings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users