Photo

I have started to research cars and since my brother is also about to get a car which should I recommend?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ThePBnewbie

ThePBnewbie

Homework kills trees!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Recently my older brother has been looking for a car and my dad is helping. So while they were doing there thing i got interested in cars. I have focused on them a lot lately. I found out my budget car price and although I am years behind i don't see how it can hurt to find out which car I should get in advancer or prior to the time i should be thinking about it.

So our dad set our car budget at maximum 100,000 but he recommends around 75,000. So far I have been looking at the

Lotus evora

porsche 911 carrera 

porsche cayman S

maserati ghibli

porsche panamera

and more if you can find any

answers are appreciated,

thank you,

ThePBnewbie

#2 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

get an old beater. Don't be the 16 year old douche that drives an expensive vehicle because his parent's can pay for it. 

I'm not nocking on you if you have the money, if your family does, great. However, a sense of independence is acquired from driving an old beater regardless of if your parents are paying for it or not. Also, if you wreck or damage (which is highly likely) a vehicle while you're a teen, it's no big deal. You also learn to fix the problems, and it's always fun to yell at the small quirks a beater has.

A nice car would be a more suitable gift for graduation, or something of the such, when you actually know how to drive somewhat well.  

#3 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

Dont get a new car. Get an old, beat up car and learn values and safety and actually learn how to drive before getting a sports car that will get you or others on the road killed if you're inexperienced. Dont be stupid and dont be that kid like klub said.

#4 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:37 AM

Agreed, find something older. You WILL want to drive fast, and a new fancy sports car wont help at all. Hell I've take the minivan I drive to 106, no faster since that's it's top speed. No I dont recommend it, but that's just how it is. It's also highly likely you'll be in a wreck. Even if you're a good driver, you dont have a lot of experience. Older cars are also better to learn how to keep maintained, since it probably will need it. I can change the oil, refill my ac coolant, change the power steering, change filters etc.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#5 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

You're just gonna get 100.000 and go buy a car with it? Right, I believe it when I see it.
Getting any of those cars at 16 isn't a good idea. Insurance and maintenance is gonna be wicked expensive.

Just get an older, but still a nice car. I started in an old Audi, which I was happy with and suited my purpose at the time quite well.

#6 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

buy a older car they are fun you can do stupid shit and not worry about wrecking a expensive car
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#7 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,116 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

100k first car?

bwahaha

Edited by cockerpunk, 27 January 2014 - 09:58 AM.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#8 ThePBnewbie

ThePBnewbie

Homework kills trees!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

I just want something good quality and people say about that range is really good. What good cars can you recommend that are below that. But since our budget is high I don't want the car to be that low.

#9 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

I just want something good quality and people say about that range is really good. What good cars can you recommend that are below that. But since our budget is high I don't want the car to be that low.

No. Just stop. Dont even listen to what people are telling you.

Those cars you listed are european sports cars. Quality doesnt matter for them. Its about speed and luxury. You WILL get yourself killed if you get one. I can already see it. Those cars you listed have multiple sport settings with traction controls and if you have zero clue how to even drive a car yet, you're gonna screw up.

Just because a car is european doesnt mean its high quality. They have an expensive price tag for a reason. Ive driven and ridden in prosche's and maserati's before and you will have zero clue how to use a paddle shifter. Stop looking at european sports cars and luxury cars and look at something practical. 

If you want style I suggest looking at subaru's. They are great starter cars and most if not all people like the look of a subaru wrx impreza rally'd out. 

#10 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

$100k? Get an old BT-R from Russia. Safest thing on the road. I can almost guarantee it.

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 28 January 2014 - 09:20 PM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#11 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Most everyone crashes their 1st car.Spending that much on a Porche,European car etc.is just the beginning,wait untill you have to maintain it

Save your money for college

#12 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Wanna know what happened to my first car? I totaled it. I was a good driver too, I made one mistake and it was gone forever and I was left with broken bones. Had I been in a sports car I would have died, no question.  

Get something like a subaru wrx if you want a nice, fun, practical car that costs 1/4th the price if not less than all the stuff you've just listed. Plus you'd learn to properly use a stick. 

It's just a bad idea to get a super car like that at 16, some adults can't even drive them. Let alone someone who probably doesn't even know how to drive a stick shift. Honestly, it's not even cool for a 16 year old to have a super car. It just makes them look spoiled and it really is unsafe. 

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#13 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,116 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

miata.

always.

cheap. fun. reliable. useful.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

#14 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,917 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

He's young, he needs a backseat. ;-)

#15 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I love me a used Subaru!

You can get to the field even if the road is deep wet mud: you can plow right through with 4wd and you won't give a shit that your car is muddy (they actually look BETTER all messed up).

...just sayin'...

Edit: I also gotta give a +1 to the Miata. Fun as hell to drive (I had one in British Racing Green years ago).

Edited by Brook, 27 January 2014 - 02:59 PM.

...um...I have another stupid question...

#16 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

A miata is cool if you wanna look like a girl. ;)

#17 Shonz-On

Shonz-On

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

My first car was a 1990 Signature series lincoln contenental. 600$ The power windows didnt work at first, the muffler had to be tied up with some steel wire, and needed some new vacuum tubes. Ran like a champ for years. Till gas went up. Sold it for 1100$, bought a Dodge minivan 98'. A year later.. a lawn company wrecked it in a parking lot. Their trailer took out the front passanger quater, lights, panel, tire, hub.. everything came off. Got a 1,200$ check. It sat on desk for a month, then I got a 4cyl Ford Ranger.

You don't even have to drive a car to wreck it. You could be in the store buying a sub from the deli when someone comes in looking for the owner of a ...

Always first car, used.. Best idea ever.

#18 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,917 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

The Miata, like the RX-8, is one of those cars that can go either way, depending on how the owner accessorizes it. It's not a girl car from the get go like the new VW Bugs, it's neutral at the start.

#19 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

2005_mazda_mazdaspeed_mx-5_miata_2_dr_gr

Mazda-RX-8_2009_1600x1200_wallpaper_04.jI actually dont see a similarity. Sure they both are a sporty look but... idk...

Also I think the Rx8 is ugly. The rounded wheel wells just look.... ew.

Edited by Cloakedsphere, 27 January 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#20 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,917 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

2005_mazda_mazdaspeed_mx-5_miata_2_dr_gr

Mazda-RX-8_2009_1600x1200_wallpaper_04.jI actually dont see a similarity. Sure they both are a sporty look but... idk...

Also I think the Rx8 is ugly. The rounded wheel wells just look.... ew.

The similarity isn't in looks, but people's perception. With both the Miata and the RX-8, girls have more of a tendency to think "Oooh, that's cute, I want one." Rather than "Boys have silly toys, why do they need a silly sports car?"

#21 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

My 2007 Foresters XT Sport will outrun a Porche Boxter and most pony cars on the road and it has a 5star crash rating and AWD plus it hold 3 ballers and their gear and I played 10k for it used with under 100k miles.What more could you want

Edited by Punisher068, 27 January 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#22 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,116 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

and its the only car that works on girls.

My 2007 Foresters XT Sport will outrun a Porche Boxter and most pony cars on the road and it has a 5star crash rating and AWD plus it hold 3 ballers and their gear and I played 10k for it used with under 100k miles.What more could you want

3 less seats
2 less driven wheels

1 less roof

oh, yeah, a boxster. ;)

Edited by cockerpunk, 27 January 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#23 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Those cars you listed are european sports cars. Quality doesnt matter for them. Quality doesnt matter for them.Quality doesnt matter for them.
european. Quality doesnt matter

German are like, I don't know, known for their quality? :huh:

In my opinion get an old Audi with Quattro, they're fun in the snow, and I mean really fun.
Even though I drive a Porsche I still want an old 80 Quattro. Fuck Subaru, this is where it's at! :wub:
857295_10151323920014065_584216723_o.jpg

#24 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,116 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

mmm german quality is very different then other kinds of quality.

quality to the japanise is an engine that last 250,000 miles without oil changes. to americans its the frame being rated for towing 2,500 lbs, but handles 3,500 without much issue. for germans it is far more complex .....

its like attention to detail on a scale you have to be pretty anal to notice. after 30 years, there is no rattles in my porsche, and my less then 10 year old toyota has dozens. but, maintinace? pfft, you better fucking change your oil at 5,000 miles, you better fucking do it. you better memorize that maintinace schedule and do all of it. reliable? well, did you treat it right? you better have, otherwise its your fualt i broke, not the cars!

that being said, when used properly, german cars are simply the best IMO.

#25 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

mmm german quality is very different then other kinds of quality.

quality to the japanise is an engine that last 250,000 miles without oil changes. to americans its the frame being rated for towing 2,500 lbs, but handles 3,500 without much issue. for germans it is far more complex .....

its like attention to detail on a scale you have to be pretty anal to notice. after 30 years, there is no rattles in my porsche, and my less then 10 year old toyota has dozens. but, maintinace? pfft, you better fucking change your oil at 5,000 miles, you better fucking do it. you better memorize that maintinace schedule and do all of it. reliable? well, did you treat it right? you better have, otherwise its your fualt i broke, not the cars!

that being said, when used properly, german cars are simply the best IMO.

Everything you said I can back up 100%

Well except that my 22year old Porsche has some rattles in it, not much and nothing that isn't easily fixed but it was there when I bought it.(It has 277k kilometers on it though) :P

#26 ThePBnewbie

ThePBnewbie

Homework kills trees!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

you are right i won't go that expensive for my first car I will get a bmw I hear the do service all for free besides tires.

#27 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

so does the ford dealership on my 07 Escape
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#28 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

you are right i won't go that expensive for my first car I will get a bmw I hear the do service all for free besides tires.

You heard wrong. There's no such thing as free with cars. EVER.

#29 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

I'm detecting a troll thread. But if op's parents would actually spend 75k on a car for him, good luck in life kid.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#30 tcheekdye

tcheekdye

Bitch im just bustin at em

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

100,000 for first car, why not buy a luxe 2.0 for first marker? Or eat at red lobster for lunch everyday? Or pay your way through school? If you're able to even 10,000 for your first car budget then consider yourself lucky
100,000 for first car, why not buy a luxe 2.0 for first marker? Or eat at red lobster for lunch everyday? Or pay your way through school? If you're able to even 10,000 for your first car budget then consider yourself lucky

giphy.gifTECH PB HEAVY METAL FAN CLUB  http://www.techpb.co...metal-fan-club/

#31 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

Yeah, you're so full of it.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#32 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

This thread gives me an even bigger adopted-sister-supermodel-girlfriend feel than the last one :D

#33 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

They do limited service up to a certain mileage point. They wont repair your car after anywhere from 50,000 to over 150,000 mile warranty. Its called warranty work for a reason.

If you're trying to sound cool, just stop. Some of the cheaper, low end cars are the best. OH yeah, have fun paying for gas in a Porsche or a Maserati. 

#34 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:54 AM

A BMW?
Better hope nothing goes wrong with it, lest you be out 5 grand and put on a waiting list for the importation of parts.

I've owned one car in my life: A 2004 Subaru Impreza that I bought used for $7500 and it's never failed me whatsoever.
You certainly don't need to spend 100k to get a good car. In fact, I don't even know a single person who has spent anywhere close to that for their car. 99% of cars on the road don't even come close to that price and a vast majority of them do just fine.
Hell, many used cars for less than 10k are just as reliable and will certainly not give off such a douche image as a kid in a Porsche.

There are so many great cars on the market that come from all over the world and have such a large price range that it's often difficult to say what car is right for whom. My suggestion is to drop your max price on a first car to 20k (I wish I had that much to spend on a car), find a few you like, and read up on their reviews on Edmunds and KBB to find one that's right for you.

Edited by Antonious, 28 January 2014 - 02:56 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#35 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:15 AM

3 less seats
2 less driven wheels

1 less roof

oh, yeah, a boxster. ;)

Yeah I know a Boxter isn't a REAL Porche :), I had  67 912 for a bit,worth too much $ to keep it

#36 ThePBnewbie

ThePBnewbie

Homework kills trees!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

my dad does not really like the sport of paintball so my budget is low. But I just want to pick a good car.

#37 DamianE

DamianE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

I have a feeling your car budget is going to be much smaller than you think after your parents are finished paying for your older brothers wreck/insurance/maintenance/funeral.

OP:Please just pretend for a second that you have a brain between your ears.

You are going to look like a complete asshole with more money than sense as a 16 y/o in one of those cars you listed. 

Also, I assume that your dad has approved of your choices of vehicle? Have you even found out what your brother's budget is?

Edit:

Our definitions of budget seem to differ...

Recently my older brother has been looking for a car and my dad is helping. So while they were doing there thing i got interested in cars. I have focused on them a lot lately. I found out my budget car price and although I am years behind i don't see how it can hurt to find out which car I should get in advancer or prior to the time i should be thinking about it.

So our dad set our car budget at maximum 100,000 but he recommends around 75,000. So far I have been looking at the

Lotus evora

porsche 911 carrera 

porsche cayman S

maserati ghibli

porsche panamera

and more if you can find any

answers are appreciated,

thank you,

ThePBnewbie

Edited by DamianE, 28 January 2014 - 11:18 AM.

naimadamian.png

#38 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

3 less seats
2 less driven wheels

1 less roof

oh, yeah, a boxster. ;)

Yeah I know a Boxter isn't a REAL Porche  :), I had  67 912 for a bit,worth too much $ to keep it

Since when wasn't the Boxter a real Porsche? And why would it not be a real Porsche?

#39 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

100k first car eh?  Sounds like a major issue before you even have it.  I started driving with a 95 Mercury Sable.  Beat the absolute hell out of that car.  I would highly suggest you find something in the few thousand dollar range as it will inevitably have dings, scratches, beer stains, cigarette burns, broken plastics.

Get an El Camino, its got wheels and goes places WITH A BED IN THE BACK.

#40 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

...I started driving with a 95 Mercury Sable.  Beat the absolute hell out of that car.  I would highly suggest you find something in the few thousand dollar range as it will inevitably have dings, scratches, beer stains, cigarette burns, broken plastics.

Get an El Camino, its got wheels and goes places WITH A BED IN THE BACK.

For a first car, that Sable is a sweet ride! (For a first car, anything that gets you where you want to go is a sweet ride, bonus points for not showing damage when you back into a pole).

My first car was a 12 year old chevy pickup, you could not let up on the gas too fast or the engine would die. Rusty bed, cracked front window, bench seat, dented hood. Drove the shit outta that thing. Good times!

...um...I have another stupid question...

#41 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Seriously. Get a BTR.

http://www.sovietarm...red/btr_60.html

You can thank me later.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#42 blckninja

blckninja

Computer Tech

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

Seriously. Get a BTR.

You can thank me later.

And they're even UNDER 1K miles, you can't find a better deal.

etek.jpg

#43 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Seriously. Get a BTR.

You can thank me later.

And they're even UNDER 1K miles, you can't find a better deal.

Seriously. Nothing gets girls like an armored APC from the the height of Soviet Russia.

Crash test rating is 10/10. Stylish and safe! You also don't even have to worry about flat tires. You've got 16! 

Get those pesky drivers getting too close to back off with a 14.5mm heavy machine gun, or the secondary 7.62mm coaxial machine gun!

You'll also never get stuck in traffic again, just run the other cars over.

As you can probably tell, the BT-R60 is the perfect vehicle for anybody.

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 29 January 2014 - 01:21 PM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#44 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I prefer something belt driven. What's gonna happen when you puncture all 16 wheels on your BT-R60? You are gonna be stuck, that's when my tank will come rolling past. I might use a longer time to get there, but I will always get there.

OP, you should really consider buying a T-72. Then you could just get a Ferrari Enzo on the side or something.

#45 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

I prefer something belt driven. What's gonna happen when you puncture all 16 wheels on your BT-R60? You are gonna be stuck, that's when my tank will come rolling past. I might use a longer time to get there, but I will always get there.

OP, you should really consider buying a T-72. Then you could just get a Ferrari Enzo on the side or something.

What happens when your track breaks? Its' going to cost more, and take longer to replace.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#46 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Then 16 heavy duty tires? Oh I think we need to research that.

But if my track would break I'll have a large canon and several machine guns to protect me from any road scum.

#47 tcheekdye

tcheekdye

Bitch im just bustin at em

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

Pretty sure they'd disarm that shit before it would get to merica

giphy.gifTECH PB HEAVY METAL FAN CLUB  http://www.techpb.co...metal-fan-club/

#48 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

I'd just get some ride flats for my BT-R

Also, there are more than a few tank collectors in the US, you could probably re-arm it.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#49 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

What about an armed hovercraft? You could fit some supercars in the back.

#50 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

I think a military hovercraft might be out of his price range

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 03 February 2014 - 12:44 PM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users