6 replies to this topic

#1 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

It looks like a bunch of older markers have feed tubes that are angled 45 degrees (rather than being vertical). And the accepted hack today is to get an angled feed tube that makes the final position vertical in order to use modern hoppers (at the cost of excessive height).

My question is, How were these markers supposed to be used when they came out? Did the makers expect everyone to get an angled feed tube? Or was there a different ball feed technology that works well with this angled feed system?

I am really asking because there are cool looking pumps that have this feed but I do not relish the idea of a hopper WAY above the marker...

...um...I have another stupid question...

#2 Jeramiej22

Jeramiej22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

From personal experience, I played 15+ years ago and most hoppers were gravity feed, and had a 45 degree angle on them as well to compensate for the angle on the gun. So by placing your hopper across your marker it would allow for proper distribution of the paintballs in to the feed tube, but yes they sat higher than today's hoppers do.

#3 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

it was for aiming over the barrel mostly. as this faded out, so did side feed.

also before force feed loaders, a longer ball stack ment you could shoot longer/faster bursts. this is why you see high rise feednecks even on vertical feed guns well into the 2000s

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#4 Kjimenez

Kjimenez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

It looks like a bunch of older markers have feed tubes that are angled 45 degrees (rather than being vertical). And the accepted hack today is to get an angled feed tube that makes the final position vertical in order to use modern hoppers (at the cost of excessive height).

My question is, How were these markers supposed to be used when they came out? Did the makers expect everyone to get an angled feed tube? Or was there a different ball feed technology that works well with this angled feed system?

I am really asking because there are cool looking pumps that have this feed but I do not relish the idea of a hopper WAY above the marker...

It's not a hack... they were designed to be used with elbows. Everyone had them, the best are the APP Atomic Elbow and the Armson Pro Feed.  As cockerpunk said, they're designed so you can mount a sight to the top of the marker, or at least sight down the barrel. If you're looking at an old pump it's probably going to need a 1" elbow, fyi.

#5 bowmasta

bowmasta

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

It isn't a "modern" thing people have been using elbows for as long as they have been making 45* feednecks. They have always used elbows since feednecks were invented. Also, its not really excessive, Ever seen an Impulse? No not the new one the original one, It sits super high, and its center fed. A lot of the old "classic" semi autos have massively tall feednecks.

My question is, How were these markers supposed to be used when they came out?

With Elbows.

Did the makers expect everyone to get an angled feed tube?

Yes, They usually came with one. You could always use a spring feed or a feedtube as well.

Or was there a different ball feed technology that works well with this angled feed system?

Powerfeed. Many Automags have a plug in their feedneck you turn to angle the balls into the breech

Use a Springfeed.

There are modern day Spyders that use straight feednecks that sit much much higher than a lot of 45* markers.

Its still fairly commonplace, many Spyders, Tippmanns, and BTs still use 45*.

Here is a nice old video by Sugarstump that'll show you some old school goodness.

http://www.youtube.c...2_q5QPiW8#t=139

Before feednecks were around everyone had SC guns (Then just guns) and they would put really long feedtubes on top.

Here's a picture of my PK45 on my KPMI. It was a PMI-1SC but I did work to it.

DSC00251_zpsfb50f3b2.jpg

DSC00252_zps0548497c.jpg

Hopper hits, gun hits and headshots didn't count for a long long time, so it didn't really matter. Everyplace had its own rules about hits though.

A VM68 - Probably the tallest of the bunch because of the odd feedneck detent system it used.

DSC00254_zps696019f8.jpg

DSC00255_zps56669bb9.jpg

My Sniper II, I usually use it with a spring feed.

DSC00256_zpsd298ef56.jpg

DSC00257_zpsd1cbb18c.jpg

My Sniper I

DSC00258_zpsbdbd3f54.jpg

DSC00259_zps4d992bac.jpg

A Palmers Stroker - This one sits extra high because the original Sheridan feednecks had you stuff the hopper into it. it has a sleeve so that you can use a feedneck.

DSC00260_zps152894d6.jpg

DSC00261_zpsf8cefa82.jpg

A ULE AutoMag - Probably the lowest of all the profiles pictured.

DSC00262_zpsf45850ab.jpg

DSC00263_zpsf6b1cf80.jpg

And my Friends stock eNMEy - 

DSC00264_zps2addf86d.jpg

DSC00265_zps2f6c0837.jpg

What?! I'm all out of powdered toast?!

#6 mohsin147

mohsin147

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:55 AM

ciscoccna.us http://ciscoccna.us
pass4sure download pass4sure download
bomber jackets men bomber jackets men
testking testking

#7 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Bowmasta, Thanks for the great pix! (Makes me want them all: You were right about old-school goodness)

...um...I have another stupid question...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users