• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kvndrby

kvndrby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

Hi all, I'm coming back to paintball after a ten year hiatus and I have to say, I don't even recognize the industry.  Technology has really changed the face of paintball, I never thought I'd see kids shooting 12 bps reliably and consistently out of $200 guns.. amazing.

Anyway, I'd like some help with my "budget baller" set up. I will list what I've got and some initial thoughts on what I might get. Please comment if you have any ideas on how i can improve this set up. keep in mind I'm trying to stay on the cheap.

Mask- Purchased some Empire E-Vents on ANSgear "deal of the day" for $47

Loader- Got a Halo Too brand new for $60 (I think that's a decent deal?)

Air System- I want a 68/45 for sure. I love the price of the HKArmy tank ($115) but cant find many reviews on it. I know Ninja is probably most recommended reg on market but I've never had problems with any of the old crossfires and nitro ducks i used back in the day so i find it hard to justify the premium price tag. I was looking at some used tanks but prices are crazy for used tanks! if the difference between new and used is only like $30, I'll go with new every time.

Marker- I'm thinking a GOG Extcy (new)... but i do like the axe (used)  and the idea of getting an old ego 7 or 8. (I suppose I'll just lurk online until an awesome deal pops up). Trying to stay around $200 but I'm mostly looking to get the best bang for my buck.

apparel- After I've got the above items I will probably just lurk around ansgear for an (on sale) pro quality pack and jersey. As far as pants are concerned, I've always used army surplus camo pants with volleyball knee pads and shin guards.

What do you think? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

#2 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

E-Vents are a good mask. You'll be happy, provided they fit your face.

Halo TOO is a good loader. $60 isn't a bad price.

Any 68/4500 HPA tank with a hydro testing interval of 5 years will be perfectly fine. Markers have their own regulators, so even if the tank regulator isn't perfect, it's a non-issue. Ninja is the best, but you'd be paying $50 extra for practically zero gain.

Getting a used marker will be way better than anything new. That said, The GoG eXTCy or Proto Rail are both fine for $250 (I prefer the extcy due to the 14" barrel and on/off ASA).

My suggestion would be to try to find a used Proto M8 (otherwise known as a "PM8", that would be your search term). They are by far the best performance for the dollar out right now. PM7s are fine as well, but in my opinion a PM7 should have an upgrade, whereas a stock PM8 is just fine (like you really want an ultralight frame for a PM7, and it comes stock with the PM8). The biggest problem with going used is it won't have all the stuff that a new marker would have, like a case, a barrel sock, tools, lube, and often markers are sold without spare parts. That's usually fine as most people either already have all that stuff, or if not getting your own is super simple.

Edited by Lotus, 03 February 2014 - 11:27 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

With gear, I'd recommend getting a good pair of pants from ans or other site. Personally I'd recommend Empire, Dye, or Disruptive pants. However, many people on techpb agree that exalt pants are great, so I'd take a look at those as well. Disruptive and Exalt are about 100, while Dye is nearing 200. Empire is in the middle.
Look at pants instead of jerseys, because they'll serve a much better purpose. Jerseys are for bounce, and looks, and uniformity for a team.
Pants are made of tough stuff, that protect and have venting/stretch points to enhance your flexibility and to keep you cool.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#4 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Yeah I wouldnt worry about a jersey. Arm pads + a t-shirt is way more comfortable not to mention cheaper. Arm pads actually protect along with getting bounces unlike the paddong in jerseys which is just meant to supplement elbow pads for bounces.

#5 kvndrby

kvndrby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

Thanks Lotus for introducing me to the PM8. Honestly that marker wasn't even on my radar. I saw your review on youtube as well :) That might be the way to go.

#6 meh

meh

Screw you guys, I'm goin' home

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

In regards to your marker, i highly recommend just going with a high end used gun, like the axe or maybe and ego08. The xtc is not the best gun. If you really dont wanna get something used, just get the proto rail maxxed over the extcy. Its backed by dye, it has a great clamping feedneck and a great ul asa plus basically a dye ul barrel as well. Plus its proto so you know its quality.

Meh

If you're under 18 and pay for your own stuff, put this in your signature.

#7 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

In regards to your marker, i highly recommend just going with a high end used gun, like the axe or maybe and ego08. The xtc is not the best gun. If you really dont wanna get something used, just get the proto rail maxxed over the extcy. Its backed by dye, it has a great clamping feedneck and a great ul asa plus basically a dye ul barrel as well. Plus its proto so you know its quality.

What's wrong with the eXTCy? It's a great gun for 250 dollars, and as a starter gun I highly recommend it. 

#8 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Someone mentioned "a used gun is the best way to go" i.... Dont think so, go with the best you can afford new. That is the best way to go.

#9 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Someone mentioned "a used gun is the best way to go" i.... Dont think so, go with the best you can afford new. That is the best way to go.

Based on what? Every single marker Ive owned has been used and Ive yet to have a problem yet.

#10 meh

meh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

What's wrong with the eXTCy? It's a great gun for 250 dollars, and as a starter gun I highly recommend it. 

Well a few months ago when i went to ansgear's warehouse in CA, my friend was in the market for a woodsball and had settled on a g1. When we got there, and the salesman aired up the display model g1, it immediately started to leak. Ok w.e., its the display model, probably a return or something. So the guy went to the back, got a brand new g1, aired it up and it also was leaking, out of the box. Well, when i got my first xtc, it also was leaking immediately out of the box. GOG doesn't have great quality control imo. In comparison to proto/dye, GOG is left in the dust. And this happening to a newbie to paintball can completely limit how much time they play (shipping to get fixed and back etc.) or even just turn someone totally off from paintball.

Edited by meh, 08 March 2014 - 10:28 PM.

Meh

#11 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

My Dad bought a SP-1 that had sat for years from ANS and it shot flawless out of the box... with the original battery and lube.

#12 meh

meh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

My Dad bought a SP-1 that had sat for years from ANS and it shot flawless out of the box... with the original battery and lube.

well in my personal experience, it turned out to be that way, turning me away from GOG products... lucky you though for the working gun!

Meh

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Well your personal experience turned out to be a rather unfortunate one. Mine has been nothing but great from GoG. None of my GoG guns (Trust me, a good 80% of my stuff is GoG), have yet to have ANY problem with them, be it out of the box or used for 3 years. The eNMEy has been such a hit locally mostly because of me using it at the field. Being one of the more regular regulars, and one of the better ones out there, people have been asking about my gun. I told the owner Ryan about it, and he liked it so much he started selling the GoG eNMEy at the store, along with other GoG products. Recently I've been seeing more vibes and eNMEy's and even a few eXTCy's amongst the intermediate group than any other marker. One of my friends purchased a G1 and absolutely loves it, and uses it with the Advanced group for shiggles all the time.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#14 kvndrby

kvndrby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

What does everyone think about the DP G3 or G4?

Edited by kvndrby, 17 March 2014 - 12:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users