• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nate1340

Nate1340

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

After a three year hiatus from paintball I've decided to get back into it. I truly have missed the sport a ton and was just wondering if there was any advice that any of you have to offer about getting back into it after such a long absence. 

#2 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

I took a 15 year hiatus myself.  The first rule is to always remember to have fun first.  If it's not fun, then many of the other recommendations (which can often to translate to more financial investment) will feel even worse.

A few things I would do if I could jump back into the sport all over again:

1) Try as many things as I can before committing money back in.  It helps if you have a nearby field and a nearby shop so that you can both see what other players are using to play and what equipment your shop is (at least, should be) better at supporting.

2) If you buy a marker, try to find a used deal through your shop.  That way you're not paying a premium price while still getting warranty support from the shop.  The margin of difference in today's modern equipment is such that variation in the price you pay has more to do with cosmetics and your comfort than anything else.

3) Buy the best mask for you.  There are lots of choices, and I find as many different preferences as there are masks.  Buying a good mask that limits fogging and provides wide visibility will contribute more to your fun experience than almost any other factor.  Honestly, I should've mentioned this before a marker.

4) If you buy your own equipment, when it comes time to play you should purchase the best paint that your marker will shoot.  There's a limited correlation between expensive markers shooting expensive, fragile paint, but beware that is not always the case.  Better paint has less curves in the air and is more likely to break when it hits the target.

5) More than anything, your ability to move around the field and see your opponents are the key to better play.  I don't know what you'd call this but I'd say "field sense".  You will have more fun when you know your field better, and are comfortable moving between cover areas while opponents are shooting.  Remembering the sensation of getting hit will help control anxiety at being shot at again.  If you can master this aspect, it won't matter if you're shooting a rental marker, holding a foam sword, or if you've spent thousands on gear.

Good luck, and welcome back.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#3 PostalTwinkie

PostalTwinkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

As someone that recently got back into Paintball myself, after about a 10 year break, I feel comfortable saying this....

I second the good mask! 

There are reasons some masks are $25, and other masks come in at $100+. From a safety aspect all the certified masks are going to offer at least the same minimum level of safety as one another, some masks MIGHT exceed those standards. What you run into are function and comfort advantages in some masks that simply don't exist in other. Anti-fog, weight, how they fit, a good mask really shines in these areas, I have fallen in love with the Dye i4 myself. Expensive? Yea for a mask it is, do I feel it was worth it? Yup! It really takes comfort and function to a new level, one not previously seen back when I played. 

Don't go cheap on the rest of the gear, but don't go crazy overboard as well. I found in my search and entry back into the sport that for about $250 you can get a really nice clean used marker. I picked up an Etek 3 with Kush bolt, and a 60/4500 Ninja HPA tank on this site for about $300! I did check first with my local shop, and they just didn't have anything that could compete with the price. I would recommend you do the same, check with the local shop and see what they have, if they don't have anything then look elsewhere. 

#4 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

3 Years ago the ego 11 came out.

not much has changed. but the highends of 3 years ago are dirt cheep thats about it. 

Hop back into it and kill em.

Edited by bigx, 03 February 2014 - 11:32 PM.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#5 r45vt

r45vt

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Do you still have all your old gear?

My youtube channel:

https://www.youtube....QgnGna7lWBK-c3w

Watch some paint splat on people!

#6 scpb5696

scpb5696

Non-member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

You don't need the most expensive gear to have fun, and that is the important thing to remember. There is only one thing that you should buy high end, and that is a mask. buy a good mask like a pro flex, i4, eflex, klr, or VIO. Once you have that look around on the forums here or on pbnation there are lots off good used guns that you can pick up in the sub $500 range, just take your pick. Then you just need to get a tank and sometimes you can get a good deal on a tank and gun at the same time. Then just go enjoy your self.

"It costs me more than $3,000 to play paintball every year, therefore I'd get a used highend for around $300- $600 and use the rest towards paint, gas, food, hotel costs, alcohol, and cheap hookers." SOUP on March 31, 2014

#7 Nate1340

Nate1340

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I actually still do have a bit of good gear from before such as my I4's and my Rotor I just need a new gun and tank really.

#8 r45vt

r45vt

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I actually still do have a bit of good gear from before such as my I4's and my Rotor I just need a new gun and tank really.

After I took a few years off I was happy to find I still had most of my gear as well.  It was much easier to pick and chose a new marker because I already had hopper, mask and tank.  

What markers are you interested in?

And if I could do things over I would buy a used tank instead instead of a new one.  There are some pretty good deals on CraigsList.  

My youtube channel:

#9 Nate1340

Nate1340

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

I'm dead set on buying a brand new gun so I was thinking maybe an Etek 4 

#10 r45vt

r45vt

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Lots of people dog on the Etek 4 here.  Be prepared for to use a flame shield.  

Not sure if you are buying new or used.  See if you can't test it out first.  At least hold it in your hands and see if it fits you.  Another marker in the price range to check out and compare would the Empire Axe.

I don't think you could wrong with either.  

My youtube channel:

#11 Nate1340

Nate1340

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

New and I'm kind of leaning towards it because it's reliable from what I've heard and I want a good gun that's not gonna require a ton of maintenance I know people say it's loud and all but I don't think that would be an overly big deal on the field during a game     

#12 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

I managed to scoop a BNIB Ego 11 on Consignment for $500 be patient find a good deal before you commit. 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Well no marker is any more reliable as long as it's of good build quality. I've seen just as many tippmanns and eteks go down as azodins and reflex rails. Which is to say not as much as both. And maintenence is nothing for guns like the axe and etek. Really with the axe you take the bolt out. Lube it. Put it back in. Done.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#14 r45vt

r45vt

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

I play in a very dirty environment so I like enclosed bolts.  Less breech wear.  My open bolt SR looked 2 years old after a few weekends.  

Just a thought. 

My youtube channel:

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

How dirty?^

#16 r45vt

r45vt

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

How dirty?^

hehe.  If you have to ask....  

You are probably in the same boat with the AZ dust.  Playing rec ball out here all you do is roll in dust pretty much.  Probably the biggest difference is your dust is red.  

My youtube channel:

#17 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:41 AM

Southern Arizona, in Tucson man. Dust and dirt. Plus the main field I go to is right in the midst of cotton fields and mining quarries. Everything gets dusty. Not grassy stains or slight mud smears. No. Freaking dirt and dust, head to toe, no matter where you go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users