• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

So I go to a public university, and I don't get any financial aid or have any scholarships. I understand that the money in my college fund is money my father has earned through working many years for the federal government, plus interest. I know I don't have quite enough to make it a full four years (trying to graduate in three), and that makes my parents and me concerned, obviously. I'm looking to live in an off-campus apartment, because it saves money. And my mother never believes me when I tell her that. She's convinced it will cost more. Let me break it down for you.

Living on campus is $4,500 per semester. A semester is 4 months long. So I'm paying out $9,000 for 8 months. This includes the meal plan though, which is about $1,000 of that.

The off-campus apartment complex I'm looking at is $425 a month plus utilities for a 4-bedroom. Living in an apartment dictates that I live in it year round, even during breaks. Some people move out for the summer, to save money, but I would probably stay just to keep from going back to my family. (Yes I am an asshole blahblahblah. My relationship with my parents isn't very good, I really don't need to get into it.) So $425 for 12 months is 5,100. Plus utilities, which get split evenly with the roommates, so you're looking at like 20-30 a month, maybe less? And then I also have to buy food. But groceries would also be split between everyone, so that wont be too bad either.

I feel like there's a few thousand I could easily save going that route. That's money I can spend on maymester or summer classes to try to pack in as many credits as possible in minimal time. Also, if I live in town year round, I will be able to hold a steady job (many of which either wont hire if you aren't here 12 months a year, or only hire like right as the semester starts.) What this means is even more money, which can be used to pay for rent, classes, food, a car, and really any other expense.

To me this sounds like an easy decision and I don't understand why my parents (read mother) try to fight me over it around every corner. I dunno. I'm angry and want to blow something up and I need to go grab my laundry./rant

TL;DR FUCK COLLEGE

#2 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

1. dropout

2.invent something

3.???

4.profit

#3 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Well, i have this idea for a website, where you choose who is hotter, from a set of two pictures of people you go to school with, but I don't think it will catch on.

#4 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

Ea = ________1_________
1 + 10 (Rb -Ra) /400

Eb = ________1_________
1 + 10 (Ra -Rb) /400

I have come up with a formula you can use.

o8qo.jpg

#5 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

In general living off campus is a lot cheaper

#6 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

In general living off campus is a lot cheaper

By a lot typically.  It's also much cheaper to stay away from meal plans and make your own food.

#7 Frisky Tugboat

Frisky Tugboat

Purple is my favorite animal in the alphabet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Wasn't there someone called The Economist on here for a long time? He laid out a whole plan when I asked what it would be like to live on minimum wage.

Edited by Frisky Tugboat, 13 March 2014 - 12:00 PM.

Empire Axe, Invert Halo Too, Ninja 50/4500

#8 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

Sit down with your mother and show her the math. Show her how much it will cost to live on campus, show her how much money you can save by living off campus, show her how much money you'll be able to make by having a steady job, show her the overall savings, show her just what you can do with those savings, and hopefully she'll see the light. Just make sure to be respectful and treat her like an adult.

#9 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Wasn't there someone called The Economist on here for a long time? He laid out a whole plan when I asked what it would be like to live on minimum wage.

He's a mod now I think, haven't seen him in a while though.

#10 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

I'm literally fucked at this point since I've been wait listed for housing and I can't live off campus so I honestly don't know what the hell is going to happen and I'm kinda freaking out. I'm totally not commuting from home though, I can't live in my house anymore. I'll stay on someone's couch before I live at home again.

#11 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

I'm literally fucked at this point since I've been wait listed for housing and I can't live off campus so I honestly don't know what the hell is going to happen and I'm kinda freaking out. I'm totally not commuting from home though, I can't live in my house anymore. I'll stay on someone's couch before I live at home again.

Yeah, if you've been wait listed then I'd go ahead and assume you're not getting a dorm room. And if you do, it'll be really cramped.

When I was in college and lived in the dorms they stuck three, and sometimes four people, into two person dorms, with the promise of reduced costs to make up for it, and it'd be like a month max. Generally, the people were sill crammed into the room by the end of the semester four months later.

It's not something I'd find enjoyable. And with living off campus being cheaper, I'd try and find a way to make that happen.

#12 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

Well, i have this idea for a website, where you choose who is hotter, from a set of two pictures of people you go to school with, but I don't think it will catch on.

WRONG

TAKE INTO CONSIDERTION

HOT OR NOT

BADOO

AND VARIOUS OTHER DATING APPLICATIONS

#13 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

Hey, my Facebook reference was funny okay?!? Okay.

But really, as an update, i got in a dorm, and its on the same quad as the dorm I'm already living in, so that's nice. But I looked my new roommate up on facebook and he looks/sounds like a total fucking weirdo. I'd rather have some douche-ass frat boy as a roommate lol... And that's saying something. Ugh. maybe he'll drop out at some point or change rooms, and I'll have the whole room to myself...

#14 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

Or he'll come at you in your sleep with a knife.  Should be a good time!

Or

Having+Roommates+is+great+sometimes..+De

#15 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

Hey, my Facebook reference was funny okay?!? Okay.

But really, as an update, i got in a dorm, and its on the same quad as the dorm I'm already living in, so that's nice. But I looked my new roommate up on facebook and he looks/sounds like a total fucking weirdo. I'd rather have some douche-ass frat boy as a roommate lol... And that's saying something. Ugh. maybe he'll drop out at some point or change rooms, and I'll have the whole room to myself...

As long as he doesn't bother you I think you'll be fine.

Look at it this way, he won't bother you with girls over all the time and he'll leave you alone for the most part.

#16 ecoballer

ecoballer

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Just hope he doesn't watch you sleep with his hands in his pants.

#17 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Speaking of, third update, finally convinced my mom on a place right off campus, two bedroom townhouse, super spacious, $300 a month, under 4 with utilities/cable/internet/etc.

And I can still get my deposit back from housing!

#18 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Sick. Get a dog and a rifle and go hunt for your food, will save tons
3_zpsxumdj9dm.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users