• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 datballer

datballer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

I kinda feel weird asking this question but I really need to know. I have been into paintball and I feel really serious about it and I'm even trying to start a team. I'm fourteen and I make at least 20 bucks a week helping a neighbor with gardening and about every other week I watch another neighbors dogs about every other week. All in all I make a ton of money, but my parents aren't as supportive as I want them to. They sponsor a fraction of my paint and my admission to the park, but whenever I plan to sell some of my old gear to buy something new, they always turn me down. I try to explain to them about how getting a team together will take the place for a sport. How can I make them more supportive? They see it as a hobby, but I feel like I could go to the more professional side of the sport.  

#2 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:54 AM

Treat it as a hobby rather than wasting time and money trying to turn it into something serious.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:36 AM

Believe me, you dont want to start a new team. Second, it will cost you $100-150 a month minimum to play competitively. Wait till youre older and have more income and time to focus on paintball rather than school.

#4 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

There isn't much you can do other than make more money.

#5 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

The number one thing you can do is get one or both of your parents involved. Invite them to come out and play. Moving any activity from "kid's hobby" to "family time" will immediately increase the funding. I'd happily pay for either or both of my kids to play paintball with me multiple times per month, but unfortunately, they're not that into it. Paintball's a tough pitch to uninterested parents, because there isn't any big payoff like college recruiting, scholarships, or lucrative pro careers. It's not an NCAA sport, and even PSP Champions division pros aren't making a ton of money at it. To most parents, paintball is simply a cost: money out of their pocket, and time that could be spent better doing something else like school work, a "real" sport, or a job.

If you can't get them involved, you'll probably need to get a job and pay for paintball yourself.

Edited by Old Dude PB, 10 February 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#6 Jeramiej22

Jeramiej22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

As a father myself, do just as old dude recommended, pitch as family time.
Open the conversation with "dad will you spend some time with me?" Rather than just asking him to join in paintball, he will self commit before even knowing what he is committing to. Worst case he says no, and you in the spot you are now.
Best of luck!

#7 scpb5696

scpb5696

Non-member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Have your dad come out to the field and play with you. 

Me and my friends have looked into playing tournaments before and the amount of money it costs is just ridiculous.

Wait until you can get a job and a car because it does cost some serious cash.

But in the mean time use the times you do go play to get better, but until you have a job and steady flow of income you have no hope of starting a team

oh one

other thing the way i got my dad to come play with me was to make him think that if he spent more time with me it would keep me out of trouble and away from drugs, after that he went out within the week and bought him self a gun so he could play with me, it was a great strategy

Edited by scpb5696, 10 February 2014 - 04:22 PM.

"It costs me more than $3,000 to play paintball every year, therefore I'd get a used highend for around $300- $600 and use the rest towards paint, gas, food, hotel costs, alcohol, and cheap hookers." SOUP on March 31, 2014

#8 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

They sponsor a fraction of my paint and my admission to the park

What more would you want than that...

#9 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

Protip: Get good grades. Parents love good grades.

o8qo.jpg

#10 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

The number one thing you can do is get one or both of your parents involved. Invite them to come out and play. Moving any activity from "kid's hobby" to "family time" will immediately increase the funding. I'd happily pay for either or both of my kids to play paintball with me multiple times per month, but unfortunately, they're not that into it. Paintball's a tough pitch to uninterested parents, because there isn't any big payoff like college recruiting, scholarships, or lucrative pro careers. It's not an NCAA sport, and even PSP Champions division pros aren't making a ton of money at it. To most parents, paintball is simply a cost: money out of their pocket, and time that could be spent better doing something else like school work, a "real" sport, or a job.

If you can't get them involved, you'll probably need to get a job and pay for paintball yourself.

You live in Lexington, I live in Peabody, My father hates everything paintball... Wanna adopt a son for the weekends granted I'm not a minor anymore and other than living at home im nearly entirely self sufficient? I can drive and I always bring snacks. I would love to be able to play with my father, hell I even offered to pay for an entire day for him to come out and play in the woods with me, but it will never happen. 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#11 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Wanna adopt a son for the weekends

Heh. Not adding more dependents at this time. My wife has been very clear on this point. Well, at least until we get the ones we already have through college.

#12 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Wanna adopt a son for the weekends

Heh. Not adding more dependents at this time. My wife has been very clear on this point. Well, at least until we get the ones we already have through college.

Excellent I'm already paying my way through college. Hurts the whole paintball thing. Now someone to bankroll paintball for me that would be prime. Ill go every sunday?  ;)  :tup:

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#13 ForcePlate

ForcePlate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Get your dad to play with you that's what i did and as long as i get good grades he covers me and himself for paint and are admission is free because we are members at are field. Its a lot of fun doing a father son tag team in paintball as well.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users