• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

My capacitator is bad on my old spyder e99 avant and I was trying to find another one but couldn't find one anywhere. Could anyone add a link if they could find one? Thanks for anyone who tries to find it!

Edited by TristanV33, 13 February 2014 - 10:35 PM.

#2 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

Googled this: http://www.ansgear.c...ancapacitor.htm

Maybe?

#3 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

Yeah, that looks like it. Thanks man, I took it up to a guy for him to look at it because I didn't know what was wrong with it and he said it was the capacitator and said it would be better for me to just buy a new gun so I was just double checking the price and that's a hell of a lot cheaper lol. Thanks

#4 bowmasta

bowmasta

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

You may be able to get it much cheaper, Mind telling me the rating? There should be a white strip down one side with it printed on there. Cap's are super inexpensive if you buy them from an electronics store. like $.50 - $2.00.

You'll also need some basic soldering skills. It's not hard but you could ruin your board if you don't know what you're doing. (Lifting a pad will make it almost useless.)

Cap's have a tendency to explode if you put them in backwards. In one of my first Avionics classes a classmate wasn't paying attention and sent one through the ceiling. The small ones are the ones that'll do it too, big ones just kind of fizzle.

Edited by bowmasta, 14 February 2014 - 12:10 PM.

What?! I'm all out of powdered toast?!

#5 Rmartin2

Rmartin2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

From the research I did it's a 6800uF 16v.
http://pboutfitterz....p?productid=583

If you have a radio shack close you can see if they have one in stock.
http://www.radioshac...ductId=12457719

Bowmasta, what branch did you serve? I was 6322 Avionics in the Marine Corps. I was O level so we didn't get to mess with internals.

#6 bowmasta

bowmasta

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

Civilian. I studied Avionics because I was worried I wouldn't pass the FAA's flight physical. (My branch of the family has somewhat bad eyes). I was honestly really surprised when I passed in less than 15 minutes. Its always good to have a backup plan, plus an NCATT plus other certs look good on a resume. 

My dad was in the Army though, 1-44th ADA for a number of years. Both my American granddads were in the service too towards the end of WWII, one was in the Army and the other was in the Navy.

#7 Rmartin2

Rmartin2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

Avionics was a fun job, but I didn't stick with it when got out. I became an electrician then went on to be an electrical designer.
I'm not sure I would have had the same satisfaction working on aircraft in the civilian world.

Sorry for the thread hijack TristanV33. Keep us posted on getting the E99 fixed.

#8 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Alright, I bought the capacitator off of ansgear and now I need to take it off and solder it back on. Does anyone have advice or know how to do it?

#9 Rmartin2

Rmartin2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Tin your soldering iron. Make sure your iron tip is hot and clean any excess solder with a wet sponge or something similar. Wet paper towels work ok. Solder flows well when your wires are hot so you don't need to glob it on. Don't get solder all over your board. If you do don't turn it on until you clean it off. An extra set of hands might come in handy.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=BLfXXRfRIzY

Edited by Rmartin2, 18 February 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#10 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thanks. I have it resoldered on here and it still isn't shooting so I don't think the guy that told me it was the capacitor knew what he was talking about. I don't know what else it could be though. Any suggestions? It does make a sound wen you pull the trigger now though. The sound when no air is screwed in but it has the firing sound (I don't know what it's called obviously lol) but when I screw air in it it still won't shoot

Edited by TristanV33, 18 February 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#11 bowmasta

bowmasta

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

So the solenoid clicks but it doesn't shoot?

Make sure your battery is good, it needs a 9.6 volt for it to work. We had a spyder with the same problem, my coworker worked on it for probably 30 minutes before I just grabbed a different battery and it worked great.

I just did some research and its either the Cap or the battery, since you replaced the cap its the battery.

Make sure its a 9.6volt, they run like $13.

#12 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Alright, I'll try that next. I have one of those crappy battery's that come with almost all new guns. RadioShack will have good 9.6v batteries right?

#13 bowmasta

bowmasta

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

I'm not sure, I haven't visited in a while. I know there are Spyder branded ones though that are rechargeable.

#14 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Thanks bowmasta! I got it working now, that battery was the problem.

#15 Rmartin2

Rmartin2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Good stuff. Glad your up and running again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users