30 replies to this topic

#1 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

How does everyone feel about colleges that have co-ed dorm buildings? Where girls and guys are in the same halls.

I just got finished taking a tour of Florida Gulf Coast University, and the fact that they allowed girls in the same buildings as guys, was enough to turn me entirely away from the school. Up until I knew that, I really liked the school, but now I'm not even going to apply. I think it's pretty obvious what the issue is. What do you think of this?

Interested in DMs, NTs, and Dye Cockers

- Dye Owners Club -

South Florida Shockers #16

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Just the tip?

I'd love it and hate it, don't let co-ed dorms turn you off, they invented ear plugs for a reason.

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Pull start me and I'm yours ;)

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,644 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

Why does it matter?

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#4 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Yeah really what's the big issue with that?

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#5 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

College is for learning. Not having sex.

"But if you dont want to have sex, then dont"

I don't want it around me. I don't want that atmosphere.

- Dye Owners Club -

#6 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Get into a fraternity or live in an off campus apartment, and if its an option just commute. . 

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#7 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Whether the dorms are coed or not wont make any difference, you're still gonna have it there. And there's nothing wrong with it. Just, for the sake of the rest of us, close your window. Cause hearing some girl faking for like 10 minutes I just can't take it anymore lol...

#8 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,778 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

College is for learning. Not having sex.

"But if you dont want to have sex, then dont"

I don't want it around me. I don't want that atmosphere.

I'll be perfectly honest with you. If you don't want it around you, and you don't want that atmosphere, then don't live on campus. Heck, don't even go to college. If you don't want that around you, and you don't want that atmosphere, then you're going to have to take online courses in the safety of your bedroom to get away from it.

Coed dorms are the norm. When I went to an actual college, instead of a community college, every single dorm was coed. The only unique one was the freshman dorm, where girls lived in one wing and guys lived in the other wing. But for the other five dorms, girls were on one floor and guys on the next.

I highly doubt you're going to easily find a college where they have guy only and girl only dorms. Plus the fact that if you do, you'll see the occasional girl in the guy dorms, and the occasional guy in the girl dorms.

Why? Because it's what people do. You get guys and girls together and they have sex, it's a proven fact. If it's strictly forbidden, people do it anyways. Guys have no problems sneaking a girl into their dorm room to sleep with them, it's just a fact of life.

So plan on taking online classes if you don't want to be in that kind of atmosphere, because if you're going to live on campus, or even step foot on campus, you're going to be surrounded by it, and you're going to be in that kind of atmosphere.

Honestly I think you're massively over-reacting and blowing things way out of proportion. It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Just bring a set of ear plugs if you want quiet at night, or use headphones and turn some music on. And make it clear to your roommate that if he wants to sleep with a girl, then you would appreciate it if he did it somewhere other than your dorm room. But expressly forbidding it just means he's going to do it anyways, unless you've got a super cool roommate.

You could try living off campus, but you'll still be surrounded by it the moment you set foot on campus. But, again, you're massively over-reacting and blowing things out of proportion. Unless they're super duper loud, it's pretty easy to ignore. The walls are generally cinder blocks, most likely reinforced with concrete and rebar, and the sound proofing is pretty good. So you really have to get loud to be audible to people in other rooms. And if that happens, then you walk down to your RA's room, knock on the door, and politely ask him to talk to the RA on the floor the noise is coming from and request that those people turn it down.

Not going to a college simply for the reason of co-ed dorms is extremely silly and you're over-thinking things way too much, seeing as how it's not exactly going to be easy to find a college you like that doesn't have co-ed dorms.

#9 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

This school had girls and guys in the same hall which I find to be a bit too convenient. Also these are freshman dorms I'm talking about.

My number one choice for college actually has entirely different buildings for guys and girls. So I'll likely be happy there.

- Dye Owners Club -

#10 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,644 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

If you think separate buildings are gonna stop freshies from fucking, you're gonna have a bad time.

Fear is the mind-killer

#11 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

Honestly, the freshman co-ed buildings during my stay on campus were quieter than the all male dorms.  If you want to remove the sex situation from college, don't go to college.  Just saying.

#12 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,778 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

My number one choice for college actually has entirely different buildings for guys and girls. So I'll likely be happy there.

No, no you won't, not if your goal is to avoid sex and a sexual atmosphere. You just can't avoid that on a college campus. Like I said, if your goal is to avoid sex and a sexual atmosphere at college, the only way you're going to do that is by taking classes online.

Trust me, my freshman dorm had entirely separate quarters for guys and girls. Guys in one wing and girls in another, and you had to swipe your ID to gain access, so guys couldn't get into the girls side, and girls couldn't go into the guys side. Basically the same as your two separate buildings for guys and girls. And guess what? There were still a lot of girls in the guys side, there were a lot of guys in the girls side, and there was sex everywhere.

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

I agree with your mindset about college. But no need to be that bitchy about sex to the point that you decide to drop that school completely just because of it. It sounds like you're exaggerating or overreacting to the fact that sex exists on college dorms, regardless of whether or not they're separated,according to TK and XG.

Also, excuse my word choice, I just couldn't find the word that was hanging off the tip of my tongue

#14 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,778 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

I agree with your mindset about college. But no need to be that bitchy about sex to the point that you decide to drop that school completely just because of it. It sounds like you're exaggerating or overreacting to the fact that sex exists on college dorms, regardless of whether or not they're separated,according to TK and XG.

Also, excuse my word choice, I just couldn't find the word that was hanging off the tip of my tongue

He's not exaggerating, he's just overreacting. Yes sex is everywhere at college, but the parties are what you need to watch out for, not sex. Parties have a lot more people, they're usually super drunk, and super stupid. And they're way louder and more likely to disturb your studying than people have sex.

Case in point, the very first weekend of my freshman year, the guys in the room next to me are having a big party. It's quite obvious, the music is loud, you know there's booze flowing, occasionally there's a drunk person stumbling down the hall and being quite loud and obnoxious. And then all of a sudden a drunk guy misses the bathroom by one door, leans into my room and pukes all over the floor in front of the door. It took me forever to clean it up, and bits and pieces flew all over the room. My roommate and I were still finding the occasional small chunk the next day.

To be quite honest with you, I would've preferred it was the two guys having sex with two girls, because at least then it would've been quieter and we wouldn't have had a guy puking in our room.

And to top it all off the guy, or a few guys, ended up finding the bathroom and basically flooded the entire bathroom floor with vomit, and one guy had to be taken away by ambulance for alcohol poisoning. And since there is no cleaning crew on the weekend, we had to go upstairs to use the bathroom, or to a different building if that bathroom was full, because the bathroom was just covered in vomit.

Again, if the people in the room next to mine had been having sex, instead of a huge party, then nobody would've known, or cared, the bathroom wouldn't have been closed for the weekend, and a guy wouldn't have puked all over my room.

#15 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • 7,649 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

oh no! people might have sex around me, better not go here... that'll defiantly keep me from getting an education... said no one ever.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#16 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Looking back, I overreacted and I'll likely apply to the school.

And I never said that others having sex would keep me from getting an education. I said I'd rather not have it be that easy for people to have sex on campus.

- Dye Owners Club -

#17 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,778 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Looking back, I overreacted and I'll likely apply to the school.

And I never said that others having sex would keep me from getting an education. I said I'd rather not have it be that easy for people to have sex on campus.

Having guys on one floor and girls on the other is no less difficult for the people than if they were in two separate dorms. It affects nothing. Sure, they have a longer walk, but that affects nothing.

#18 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

People will have sex no matter what. What does others having easier sex have to do with you? Do you feel insecure about your chances, do you not want a FWB relationship? Co-ed dorms and separate dorms would all be alike in the banging process. 

If it is not hurting you don't think about it.

You really think a 5 minute walk would stop hormone educed young adults from doing the nasty? I'm sure UofA students drive over to ASU just to get a little action no matter how much they hate eachother.  

#19 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

^^^You'd be surprised how often this happens in Tucson and Phoenix.

#20 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Do you feel insecure about your chances, do you not want a FWB relationship?

No, I do not want that kind of relationship.

- Dye Owners Club -

#21 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

Then don't get into it. State clearly what you want before you two have at it. It might scare off some but it will make it so it does not happen to you. 

#22 dragonwing7x@gmail.com

dragonwing7x@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

you know why would you care if other people are having sex in other dorm rooms around you?  Don't you know its human nature that people love to do that. You make it seem you're afraid of sex. Also if you try to break up people having sex, well that just makes you a prude.

current setup: 1 of 1 custom painted axe ninja 50/45 prophecy 1 nxe pack and jt proflex

Player of STL huSTLe             XTREME paintball park milstatd illinois home of total greif

#23 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

If there's a will, there's a way.
And college kids are always willing. So no, there's no escape, but it's not that hard to ignore either.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#24 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Porsche, there is no substitute.

• Members
  • 11,397 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

After reading this, I've figured out I have to go to an American college.

#25 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,778 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

After reading this, I've figured out I have to go to an American college.

If you do, you have to make sure to find out where people are going for spring break, because that's where it really gets wild and crazy.

#26 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,397 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

Imagine me being a bearded Norwegian around drunk American girls. 
Goddamn.

#27 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,778 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Imagine me being a bearded Norwegian around drunk American girls. 
Goddamn.

They probably wouldn't be able to understand you with your accent and would go find some pretty-boy who they can understand better. :P

#28 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

• Members
  • 11,397 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

I've got a friend who took a year in the US. He told me otherwise ;)

#29 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,644 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

It seems like any European accent does that. It almost doesn't matter what accent it is, as long as you have one you're set.

Fear is the mind-killer

#30 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

American girl + guy with accent = As much as you want. From what I can tell.

- Dye Owners Club -

#31 Uncle Eggos

Uncle Eggos

"Gosh Dangit the Skitters"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

I'm a sophomore at Virginia Tech and I'm also a university tour guide here, I get questions about this all the time. I have lived in a co-ed residence hall for almost two years now.

Here's the deal:

1. You will be in environments with both sexes in college, regardless of what building you live in. Even if it's a all guys dorm, girls will still be around.

2. You will be in environments with both sexes for the rest of your life. It's a part of growing up that you will have to get used to

3. Girls aren't stupid. Especially ones in college. I don't care how attractive you are, they aren't going to flock to you. Once again, that's life.

4. Living in a residence hall, especially with both sexes is great because it creates diversity. You will meet some incredible people in college. People from different walks of life, from different parts of the world, and all with unique views on this stage of their life. I have made some of my greatest friends, both guys and girls, living in the residence hall I do now. I have learned things from them I'd never imagine learning before. I would have never had this opportunity if I lived somewhere else.

5th and foremost: YOU HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES. You are going to be put in environments that will test what you believe in all throughout college. Running from them doesn't fix anything. Trust yourself. If you don't want to have sex with a girl then don't do it. Period. College is a great time, but also a challenging one. A lot of growing up has to happen in a short amount of time.

P.S. Having sex in a residence hall is a great way to get in trouble with an RA, and most people will respect that

Jesus, it's like someone shat in to a Kid Cuisine box after they went to Taco Bell for some fourth meal, god, and people EAT that.

Live in or visiting the Carolina's? Check out Paintball Central.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users