• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous 8

Anonymous 8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

I can't decide which of these markers to get.
-Empire Axe
-2012 Proto Reflex Rail
-Macdev Drone dx

At this level, there's not much of an overall quality difference. It's just that each marker has it's drawbacks.

I really like the proto rail. It has nice ergos and the color coded o rings are nice. I just wish it had the lever clamping feedback and Asa that the axe has.

I like the axe for it's simplicity and lever Asa and feed neck. The toolless bolt out of the back design is nice too.

I like how small and simple the drone is. It's good and feels like a high end. The trigger and lack of a true psp (as mike says) is discouraging, though.

Keep in mind that I'm not going to be tinkering with these markers. The only thing I'll be doing is maintenance and maybe a barrel upgrade. Which of these markers is the best out of the box. (Just because you've heard the axe is good, don't recommend it. Only say things out of personal experience. Either that or state that you haven't handled the gun but you've heard it's good.) Thanks for the advice.

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,321 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

The PSP mode on the Drone has been upgraded. Id take the Axe if its comfortable to you followed by the Drone.

#3 Anonymous 8

Anonymous 8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Thanks. Any particular reason as to why the axe is your choice? I've heard the others are better unless the axe is tuned.

#4 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,321 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

It literally takes like 30 seconds over a chronograph to tune the Axe.

#5 SplatSplatOrange

SplatSplatOrange

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

I would look int used super guns for a little more but my teammates like the axe.

G6R Red/black Ninja slp 45/45 Grillz halo v35

#6 Anonymous 8

Anonymous 8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

I just figured there was more fine tuning. I'll probably pick up the axe if the ergos on a different gun doesn't sell me on it.
If it's true that it's 80% player and 20% gun, the player should have a comfy gun in his/her hand:)

#7 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

I liked the axe over the drone. Much better trigger. The axe to me felt like a high end too, but I guess so does the drone. The axe has just weird ergos, but if you can get past that, go with the axe.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#8 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

I vote reflex rail, I haven't owned the drone or axe but, I have owned a FX and a Etek. I like the reflex alot.I think the feedneck is actually superior to the axe feedneck, its tooless, and I also think the asa too, the Relay is alittle finicky, if you air up your gun too fast it can lead to a shot being fired or degassing too fast can give you a rollout and the only user serviceable part is really the bolt, of course you can go to home depot and buy tools and make custom tools to open up your reg but, that voids your warrenty. Abeit Kee has great CS and they are awesome but, they might not help you with a broken reg/asa that you broke trying to open it up.

Edited by zecrom_89, 17 February 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#9 Anonymous 8

Anonymous 8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

I'm just really big about the little things. I love things like nice triggers, lever feed necks, lever Asa's, color coded I rings, and nice ergos. I think I'll go with whichever is the smoothest and quietest. I'm assuming the axe wins that one? Out of the box, that is. Remember I'm mostly playing out of the box.

#10 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Also, Kee wont care if you do near anything. They'll fix it up for you.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#11 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

I personally would go with reflex rail. 

trigger: Tied, I really like both triggers

feedneck:Reflex, its tooless and doesnt have teeth to scratch your hopper

asa: reflex

ergos: reflex, 

shot: axe is smoother and quieter by a tad, im not sure its just what everyone says

effiency: Axe gets a pod extra on a 68/4500

packaging/barrel: The reflex comes with a nicer barrel and packaging

#12 meh

meh

Screw you guys, I'm goin' home

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

AXE all day. Some say that the axe has bad ergos but this is false!! The people who say this have not held the gun! Mikes vid on the axe shows how easy it is to grip, whether you have small hands like me or bigger hands. Plus no macro line to worry about. The ASA on the axe is great as well. Easy flip on off while the reflex rail is a bit hard to use when wearing gloves. You mentioned maintenance. The axe takes little to no maintenance, no joke. The bolt comes straight out the back w/o tools, then just lube the orings once in a while and youll be fine. Hope this helps!

Meh

#13 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

The Axe has well more than a pod in efficiency on the Reflex from my experience, more like 2 at least or 3 when tuned.

#14 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

The Axe has well more than a pod in efficiency on the Reflex from my experience, more like 2 at least or 3 when tuned.

I used mikes reviews on both gun, the reflex got 7 1/3 pods off a 68/45 and the axe go 8 1/2 off a 68/45.

AXE all day. Some say that the axe has bad ergos but this is false!! The people who say this have not held the gun! Mikes vid on the axe shows how easy it is to grip, whether you have small hands like me or bigger hands. Plus no macro line to worry about. The ASA on the axe is great as well. Easy flip on off while the reflex rail is a bit hard to use when wearing gloves. You mentioned maintenance. The axe takes little to no maintenance, no joke. The bolt comes straight out the back w/o tools, then just lube the orings once in a while and youll be fine. Hope this helps!

No there are plenty off people who dont like the Axe ergos, but on the flip side it is a very small minority of people who dislike the ergos of the reflex or any ultralite framed gun.

#15 BDFresh

BDFresh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

I own an AXE and a 2014 Proto Reflex Rail; I absolutely love the AXE.  However, the Rail is a full spoolie which has an incredible, quiet shot (the Axe is quiet as well, but really doesn't matter once you start shooting anyway). 

In my opinion, the AXE fits perfectly in my hands.  I'm 6'2" and with a 77/4500 tank, shouldering the marker feels great.  The grip is comfortable and the extended fore-grip is nice...  The Reflex Rail has a shorter fore-grip (Hyper3 Reg), but wasn't too bad comparing the grip from the AXE to the Reflex Rail--however, when I'm holding the Reflex Rail, I want to get a smaller tank (i.e. 50/4500) to just run and gun with it.  That's how easy it is to hold Reflex Rail (def. no where in size as a DM14 grip).

As far as programming goes, hands-down the AXE takes it--you can program on the fly (even while in game--if needed).  With the Reflex Rail, you have to pull off the grips, mess with the dip switches, program the marker, and piece everything back together.  With the AXE, power it on while holding the trigger, set your modes and turn it off--DONE.  On top of that you have a lot of programming options with the AXE.

[SEE AXE TUTORIAL]  [SEE REFLEX RAIL TUTORIAL]

I used the stock AXE (12") barrel for a few months, but I prefer running with a 16" two piece instead--which makes the AXE that much more fun to play with.  The UL barrel that's on the Reflex Rail is pretty nice--was getting spot on shot-on-shot which was nice; but still plan on upgrading to another 16"--simply because it's easier for me to get on target with; but no issues with the barrels.

Maintenance wise-- AXE again.  Press of a button, remove entire bolt assembly, lube a few o-rings and pop it back in.  The Reflex is easy too, but just takes a few extra steps to clean the entire assembly (removing the can, removing o-rings to completely dissemble, more o-rings, etc).

They are both machine guns when it comes to shooting... With the low 3ms trigger sensitivity on the Reflex Rail, you'll have no problem shooting quickly (great trigger too) in semi-auto.  Bump these guns in MILLENNIUM RAMPING, watch out! :D  I mainly shoot semi, but when there are guys on the field ramping at you--it's nice with the AXE to quickly change modes on the field and rain hell...  Again, that is a big plus with the AXE.

Oh and far as ASAs go--the AXE flip ON/OFF is pretty nice.  The airport on the Reflex Rail is small and you def. have to make sure you turn it all the way on so that it doen't back out on yea (check out the tail end of the Reflex tutorial above)--but with the AXE, the marker fully purges; not so on the Reflex, yes the gas will purge allowing you to easily remove your tank, but all the air behind the bolt is still there, meaning you will have to cycle the marker to completely degas).

The are both amazing markers--but if I had a choice knowing what I know now and had to choose as a first time buyer, I'm purchasing an AXE.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by BDFresh, 19 February 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#16 Anonymous 8

Anonymous 8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

Thanks a lot, guys! Your comments have given me much insight on this. It seems as though empire did a good job with this one. I just think it's a shame that if they ever decided to make another gun with improvements, it'd have to be more expensive, thus ruling it out as an option to us budget ballers. With the sales they're getting from the axe, I doubt they even want to make another gun similar to the axe. I'd love to see them make a spoolie. Then you'd have reliability, good quality, and much more softness and quietness.

#17 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,321 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

Empire did make a high end spoolie, the Vanquish.

...and it sucks.

#18 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

Empire did make a high end spoolie, the Vanquish.

...and it sucks.

Yup, its tried to compete with the Luxe and just got its ass handed to it. I think 2.0s are going for more used than vanquishes :P

Edited by zecrom_89, 21 February 2014 - 04:58 AM.

#19 bronybros

bronybros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

I would take the axe i had one for a while and it worked perfectly. No problems with proto, it would be my second choice.
Axe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users