32 replies to this topic

#1 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hi all,

Without buying a paintball neck protector, what are other suggestions of how to protect your neck? My buddy got a nice shot in his Adam's apple once, I never want to have that happen...

Thanks!

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Many masks like the Proflex, Profiler and Flex 8 go low enough on your face that they will cover the front of your neck unless you have your head tilted upward for some reason. Honestly though Ive gotten blasted in the neck a few times and it nearly as bad as I tbought it would be. Getting shot in the ribs hurts way more IMO.

#3 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

I plan in getting an i4, so there's little neck protection

#4 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

It sounds like a great idea, but anything you do will get hot and scratchy and feel in the way. I feel like pain from getting hit is easily overlooked. Trust me, I've been there. I've had my knuckles pouring blood from getting my hands shot to shit. You get over it in a few minutes. Be more concerned with injuries from diving and such. Knee and elbow pads are a thousand times more important.

#5 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:47 PM

A shemagh maybe?

shemagh-1.jpg

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#6 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:23 AM

Rofl, not exactly what I had in mind. I wonder if those things you can put around your neck for winter, I think it's called a buff, would be good? It's pretty inconspicuous and not too cumbersome.
It sounds like the majority of players choose to not protect that area? I never did, but I always had a mask that covered it mostly.

#7 JMA86

JMA86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

I just wear a bandna it protects your neck well plus you look like a badass like this guyAttached File  51jxorI+EkL._SY300_.jpg   22.33KB   1 downloads

#8 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Skin.

A shemagh maybe?

shemagh-1.jpg

Real-Men-Grow.jpg

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#9 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

How about a travel neck pillow?

#10 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

I kinda like the balaclava approach: thinly covers my head and neck (and looks a little seal team 6 or royal marines).

...um...I have another stupid question...

#11 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

True. Well heck, in Wisconsin I'll probably be wearing one out of necessity anyways lol. I just wasn't sure what other folks had down to protect their neck, if anything.

#12 meh

meh

Screw you guys, I'm goin' home

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

I plan in getting an i4, so there's little neck protection

then at that point a neck protector is the main way to go. Either always stay tucked in and never lift you head up too far out of the bunkers, buy neck protection, or buy a profiler/proflex and any mask that gives that little extra plastic/rubber around your neck!!! The i4s are the smallest full face masks out there so be careful in your decision. Or go Ron swanson and grow you own protection

Meh

If you're under 18 and pay for your own stuff, put this in your signature.

#13 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

I wore an i4 for almost a year and was never hit in the neck, even when reffing.

#14 Justin B.

Justin B.

One Nation D5 EPL Paintball 2014!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

I agree with what BurningPlaydoh said, I have been hit everywhere under the sun pretty much and getting hit in the neck most of the time isn't really bad at all. Honestly, it is worse to get hit in the chest area and the neck isn't an issue. The only time your going to really feel a hit to the neck is if your playing something like airball/Speedball and someone bunkers you on the neck. I have had that happen only once and it was because he shot my soft ear on my mask and then there were a few after shots, due to the 12.5 PSP ramping that we shoot, and I turned into the after shots leaving my neck bleeding and a nice scar behind my ear. Now if someone bunkers you on the neck on purpose that's a real issue and you should tell a ref or something because that is dangerous.

One Nation

Bob Long V1 Victory in **Titanium and Red W/Pressure tester and extras! 9/10 Cond.**: http://www.techpb.co...-910-condition/

My Feedback: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210995

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#15 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Well my main attraction to the i4 is it's superior anti-fogging ability, but yeah, that comes with a price. True, I've never been shot in the neck, nor my nads either, so I've lucked out in regards to sensitive areas too. Since I'm diving back into paintball again, I figured I'd leave less to chance and be a bit more padded now that I'm older. Plus with my line of work, I need to try to avoid coming into work visably welted up lol.

#16 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Pretty much every mask above $60 won't fog.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#17 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

This.

In my experience any Spectra or Flex mask is best at not fogging anyway but Ive never had my i4 fog either. I would never choose between a mask based on fogging issues unless I had glasses, in which case Id still pick a Flex.

#18 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

Maybe masks have came a long way? I had so much fogging issues before that I really want a mask that will pretty much never fog again. I know I'm kinda getting off topic lol. From a bit of research, I've read that in humid conditions expensive masks have fogged eventually, with only the players with i4s not having any issues. Don't know if there's any truth to that though.

#19 SOUP

SOUP

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

proflex will always be my "go to" mask. I've had em all, but the flexes always come back for more.

Anyway, when you get shot in the neck, you wear that "hickey", scab, welt, or scar with pride. It's part of being a baller lol.

"Silence is a plus, violence is a must"-Tupac

---Indiana Baller---

#20 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

Masks have had good antifog lenses since the 90s. If people are having issues its because they arent taking care of their gear.

#21 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

Lol I know, but it could scare away my clientele in my clinical setting lol.

I do like the look of other masks, esp the profit and the HK Army KLR. I have a smaller head, so I really think the i4 will fit my dome like a glove :)

#22 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

I got my first mask before the internet so I had no way to know better existed (God I'm showing my age). It was probably before or right around the early 90s...
Maybe that's why they fogged, I don't know. It's just something I read. They all do look like they have awesome venting though so it's odd that they had fogging issues. Honestly, the i4s look like they have the least amount of venting to me.

#23 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Dual pane lenses are mostly what prevents fog. If you get a cheap mask now (generally less than $50) it will still have single pane lenses and fog up like a room full of Colorado college students. I actually think the i4 have pretty good venting. Better than my Grill and Profilers Ive worn. The Profit has a horrendous lack of good venting though.

#24 Talucci

Talucci

Canadian Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:18 AM

Profits? 

Great lens, bad venting

#25 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

I guess you really have to try them on to know

#26 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Profits? 
Great lens, bad venting
I said pretty much, not all.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#27 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Which is what we normally recommend to people looking into masks. The nest way to do it is to not look at the price tag, go to your local pro shop or field, and try on ALL the masks you can. At the field some players like their mask so much theyd let you use theirs for a round just to prove it's a good buy.
Just make sure it's a high end.
I give this same advice for my friends looking to get into the sport. We went to the shop, tried on masks, and I never told them the price until they decided they liked it. One guy loves the profilers: he loves the fit and visibility of it. One of them loves her Grills: the aggressive look at the slimmer feel appeals to her. Now another friend of mine just got the I4, because he liked the profile and how tight it was to the face. All them were not aware of the price and instead looked at how much they liked that mask

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#28 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Which is what we normally recommend to people looking into masks. The nest way to do it is to not look at the price tag, go to your local pro shop or field, and try on ALL the masks you can. At the field some players like their mask so much theyd let you use theirs for a round just to prove it's a good buy.
Just make sure it's a high end.
I give this same advice for my friends looking to get into the sport. We went to the shop, tried on masks, and I never told them the price until they decided they liked it. One guy loves the profilers: he loves the fit and visibility of it. One of them loves her Grills: the aggressive look at the slimmer feel appeals to her. Now another friend of mine just got the I4, because he liked the profile and how tight it was to the face. All them were not aware of the price and instead looked at how much they liked that mask

I think I will take this advice regarding the masks! Thanks!

As for neck protection, I'll just use a balaclava until I get an empire neck protector. Thanks guys for your thoughts & suggestions! It's been really helpful :)

#29 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

I have had my jt neoprene neck protector since i started playing in 2k4.. My best investment after ofcourse.. My mask.. Wich by the way i also have since 2004.. Its not low profile or tight by any means.. Not quick lens replacement but i love it since y have not seen another one like it not even online.. Is a jt radar, gray almost metsllic in color.. And the lens frame is clear.. Awwwwsome..XD

#30 AnthrisBPearl

AnthrisBPearl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

The first time I ever played, I got hit right in the center of the neck protector. If I had had something thinner it could've hurt like crap. I highly reccomend getting one.

PS: I have a Dye performance neck protector

#31 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

I normally wear a shemagh and this saturday was hot for SoCal so I took it off and the first thing that happens is I get hit on the neck and now I have a big as bruise that looks like a hickey... 

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#32 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Neck protector.. Kingan or gxg

Edited by foxx0440, 11 April 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#33 Ranger

Ranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

The tactical turtleneck.. The tactleneck (must either be black or slightly darker black)

A.E.K.Δ.B.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users