• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering what is the best speed ball gun under $500? I currently have a 2011 Proto PMR which is with dye right now because it's getting repair. If dye doesn't fix it I plan on getting a new gun. I was looking at the Planet Eclipse Etek 4. I saw a bunch of video and reviews and some people say to get it and some say not to. I'm very confused. Is there any better gun than the etek 4 thats under $500? If so please help me out, I'm sort of new to paintball. I've only been playing for nearly a year. Thanks!

#2 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

Yes, buying new it would be an axe, however buying a used super gun would be your best bet. I would suggest looking into one of these markers used: 

proto pm8, dye dm9 and up, fep quest, alien independence, alien invasion, dye nt, planet eclipse ego, bob long vice, macdev droid, macdev clone, macdev cyborg rx, planet eclipse geo 2, and etc.

These markers will all be better than any new marker in your price range, so if you're willing to buy used I would highly suggest it.

#3 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Yes, buying new it would be an axe, however buying a used super gun would be your best bet. I would suggest looking into one of these markers used: 

proto pm8, dye dm9 and up, fep quest, alien independence, alien invasion, dye nt, planet eclipse ego, bob long vice, macdev droid, macdev clone, macdev cyborg rx, planet eclipse geo 2, and etc.

These markers will all be better than any new marker in your price range, so if you're willing to buy used I would highly suggest it.

I'm not a huge fan of buying used markers but I'll sure look into it. Thank you!

#4 Wonderland84

Wonderland84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

I'm not a huge fan of buying used markers but I'll sure look into it. Thank you!

If used isn't your fancy, MacDev Drone DX is a perfect choice; Was my secondary at all my tournaments (Only because I had it's big brother the clone GT)

Completed Technical Certification for:
Virtue Spire and Virtue Clock Chronograph
Macdev Clone GT/Drone DX
Planet Eclipse Geo/Etha and Planet Eclipse Etek/LV1
GoG eNMEy/eNVy/eXTCy

#5 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

If used isn't your fancy, MacDev Drone DX is a perfect choice; Was my secondary at all my tournaments (Only because I had it's big brother the clone GT)

I've never thought about the Drone. I'll look more into it.

#6 irish727

irish727

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

I've been using a drone now for a couple of months and have probaly put 10 cases thru it and it shoots perfectly i would highly recomend it for anyone getting a mid end marker.  

#7 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

Id recommend a Drone or Axe but the Etek is better than a lot of people give it credit for IMO. Shot one when my Clones feedneck was being a fucker and didnt really notice a difference when playing honestly.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 02 March 2014 - 12:09 AM.

#8 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

There are a lot of markers between $400 - $500 that I would recommend, certainly the Axe, Etek, Crossover XVR, and Drone DX are on the list.  The Etek and Axe are particularly soft on paint if you're looking to play tournaments.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#9 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I'm stuck between the Drone DX and the Etek 4

#10 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

No axe? Personally, unless you really wanted a poppet style marker, I'd look at the drone dx and the axe.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#11 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

No axe? Personally, unless you really wanted a poppet style marker, I'd look at the drone dx and the axe.

I don't know, I don't really see myself using the axe.

#12 RadioactiveRampagePB

RadioactiveRampagePB

D5/D4 Player for Pekin Prestige

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

Drone or Axe are very good options IMO.

Check out Battlefield 217 Paintball and ANSgear!

https://www.facebook...eld217Paintball

www.ansgear.com

#13 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

What does that mean...

#14 Wonderland84

Wonderland84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Between an ETEK and a Drone it's really a question of do you want to go prematurely deaf (yes they are that loud, no i don't care what anyone else says, shot it and felt like i was going deaf.) or not.

Both have a nice case, Parts, Lube, Easy to maintain, Efficient, Two Piece Barrel, Company, 'Bigger Brother'.

Wait no. Also the Etek if you're saving money, you're not getting a full metal vs the drone dx which is 100% metal (outside of eyecovers/grips obviously) But that's absolute preference still.

Macdev Clone GT/Drone DX
GoG eNMEy/eNVy/eXTCy

#15 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

What does that mean...

I'd rather go with a drone dx or an etek

#16 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

What does that mean...
Im trying to ask you WHY so we can give you good suggestions.

#17 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

What does that mean...
Im trying to ask you WHY so we can give you good suggestions.
I don't like the gun overall. The looks and the feel don't suit me. I've tried shooting it before.

Edited by Hex, 03 March 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#18 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Generally, people like the Axe trigger much better than the one on most other markers, and people like the Drone DX trigger much worse than the one on most other markers.  The Etek grips and trigger generally fall somewhere in the middle.

The downside to the Axe is the uncomfortable/cosmetically-unfriendly foregrip.  The downside to the Etek is the kick/noise/vibration associated with each shot (and worsens in rapid fire).  The downside to the Drone DX is the terrible trigger (and the board may not have psp ramping if you get an older, used one).

That said, all are very fine markers and would suit a speedball player well.  Pretty much the only markers I would definitely steer people away from in the 400-500 range are the Proto Reflex Rail (overpriced Rail - better suited to get a Maxxed) and the modern line of Dangerous Power guns.  I wish you'd try out the Crossover XVR, but that's a plea I make to absolutely everyone in paintball.

#19 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

Generally, people like the Axe trigger much better than the one on most other markers, and people like the Drone DX trigger much worse than the one on most other markers.  The Etek grips and trigger generally fall somewhere in the middle.

The downside to the Axe is the uncomfortable/cosmetically-unfriendly foregrip.  The downside to the Etek is the kick/noise/vibration associated with each shot (and worsens in rapid fire).  The downside to the Drone DX is the terrible trigger (and the board may not have psp ramping if you get an older, used one).

That said, all are very fine markers and would suit a speedball player well.  Pretty much the only markers I would definitely steer people away from in the 400-500 range are the Proto Reflex Rail (overpriced Rail - better suited to get a Maxxed) and the modern line of Dangerous Power guns.  I wish you'd try out the Crossover XVR, but that's a plea I make to absolutely everyone in paintball.

How bad is the trigger for the drone dx?

#20 Wonderland84

Wonderland84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Not even a factor.

I'll never get why people say 'X trigger is bad' or 'X trigger is awesome'.

If you have the time to be focusing on how a trigger feels compared to another while playing paintball, You're not playing paintball right. All it is; is just a lever to push on a tiny button for you, it's not like a foregrip or anything where your hand is on that 24/7, your finger should really only ever be on the trigger when you're actually firing, and as I mentioned previously, Noone should have the time to go in their head 'Oh well this trigger is nice, But the XXX is a little off' while playing.

Though if triggers seriously matter, The ETEK trigger feels slow and clunky, versus a drone which feels short and crisp.

And just so it's fair, ETEK Grips are nice and thick with the drone being a dead ringer for the clone gt's grips. (Thin and hard, but clearly durable feeling)

Edited by Wonderland84, 03 March 2014 - 08:46 PM.

Macdev Clone GT/Drone DX
GoG eNMEy/eNVy/eXTCy

#21 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Triggers can be harder to walk and some may be more annoying to use. Any little thing that bothers you is going to keep you off your game that much more. For example, an Axe trigger is superior to an Ion stock trigger. When I used to play with my Ion, it bothered me to no end that the trigger sucked and just wasn't good enough. Too wobbly. Too loose. Not responsive enough. Not in the right shape. Had a bit of drag. G6R and d3fy triggers. D3fy triggers (seem) to be pretty bad and stiff, whereas a G6R's trigger is godly great.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#22 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

Not even a factor.
I'll never get why people say 'X trigger is bad' or 'X trigger is awesome'.
If you have the time to be focusing on how a trigger feels compared to another while playing paintball, You're not playing paintball right. All it is; is just a lever to push on a tiny button for you, it's not like a foregrip or anything where your hand is on that 24/7, your finger should really only ever be on the trigger when you're actually firing, and as I mentioned previously, Noone should have the time to go in their head 'Oh well this trigger is nice, But the XXX is a little off' while playing.

Though if triggers seriously matter, The ETEK trigger feels slow and clunky, versus a drone which feels short and crisp.
And just so it's fair, ETEK Grips are nice and thick with the drone being a dead ringer for the clone gt's grips. (Thin and hard, but clearly durable feeling)
I mean the trigger has to be easy and comfortable to walk. I'm going to be using this marker for the next maybe 3-5 years. If it throws me off my game then that's obviously a bad thing.

#23 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

If you are worried about maintaining a stream of paint you might as well use PSP.

#24 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:00 AM

If you buy brand new and you plan to use PSP, the Drone trigger will be fine.  To some extent this comes down to preferences, but again - most people find the Drone trigger too short in its movement and difficult to walk in semi-auto.  My impression has been that all MacDev triggers are the same in this regard.  If you've tried one on any of their markers then you know what you're getting into.

It's not nitpicky, but it's close.  The MacDev triggers bother me, and have discouraged me personally from buying any of their markers.  I've heard a similar complaint repeated from other paintball players frequently.  That said, the Drone DX feels very smooth and is easy to use.  I'll go back to my previous statement that you'll be happy with either the Drone or the Etek.  Both are great markers at the price point.

#25 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

Alright I've made my final decision and I'm going to go with the drone dx. Thanks everyone for the help.

#26 kornerkutz

kornerkutz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

if u like the feel of your rail, then go wuth the reflex

#27 Hex

Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

if u like the feel of your rail, then go wuth the reflex

I'd prefer not to get with the reflex.

#28 Harry

Harry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

An Axe would be solid. Probably the only under $500 dollar marker that is used by pros. Keep in mind theirs may not be stock or may be an LE PDD, but its still an amazing marker for the price.

LL8 couldn't come any faster.

#29 SplatSplatOrange

SplatSplatOrange

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

also look at a used g6r

<p>G6R Red/black Ninja slp 45/45 Grillz Spire
Member of Chi-Town-Rampage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speedball, gun, under, $500, etek4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users