18 replies to this topic

#1 BiggieCheez

BiggieCheez

TechPB's Cheeziest player of 2014

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hi, I am 16 and in NJ, you have a permit when you turn 16 and get your POS license when you are 17 and than your real license when you are 18. My question is, does anyone have experience with the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (P71)? I am very interested in purchasing one (not to imitate a police officer, I can use the lights it comes with as emergency lights for EMS). My parents want to give me their 2013 Civic EX-L, but I really don't want to have that low powered engine. Thanks for those who own P71's or civic's for this advice

Ebay feedback  http://www.ebay.com/usr/biggiecheez

BST Feedback 3/0/0

#2 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,898 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

I've got experience with the Grand Marquis, which is close enough to a police interceptor. Police interceptor will have a better engine, but it should be plenty reliable, it won't be that great on gas, it's an automatic so it will be really boring to drive, it's big, it's heavy, I don't like how long the nose is past the front wheels, so you have a tendency to drag the nose on the ground if an entrance to somewhere has a bit of steep climb going in, and you can drag the nose if it has a bit of a steep descent that levels out onto the road all of a sudden.

Honestly, I'd get a beater car for your first car, I wouldn't get a police interceptor, and I wouldn't get a 2013 Civic either. Get a piece of junk car that runs well enough, because the statistics show that you have a very, very high probability of being in a wreck, so high it's almost a guarantee. And you'd probably feel better wrecking a pos car than a nice car.

Fortunately when I wrecked I was in my Uncle's Excursion, so the damage was minor and easily repairable, and I was safe since it's a huge SUV. Plus it wasn't mine. But if I had wrecked in my car, I would've been pissed, since I was driving a semi-nice car at the time.

But get a junk car for your first car, and then if you wreck you won't feel bad about totaling a pos car, instead of a car you actually like, and then feel free to get a nicer car after you wreck. And if you wreck, make sure to think about why you wrecked, and if you can make sure to not make that same mistake again. That's what helped me become a better driver. I figured out why I wrecked, figured out a way to avoid that, and haven't wrecked since. I've gotten to be a better because of it too.

#3 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

I have an I-4 Camry with 121 horsepower and it is good enough. I smoke cars on mountain runs and get alright gas millage. First thing I did as soon as I got off provisional was drive like an asshole and I still do but just barley and smarter about it. You will ADORE good gas millage because I am filling up $60 every week and that is with a family sedan. 

#4 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

I have an I-4 Camry with 121 horsepower and it is good enough. I smoke cars on mountain runs and get alright gas millage. First thing I did as soon as I got off provisional was drive like an asshole and I still do but just barley and smarter about it. You will ADORE good gas millage because I am filling up $60 every week and that is with a family sedan. 

Man, your gas prices must suck then. I'm filling up with 93 octane probably about one and a half times a month, maybe twice a month, for under $50, and am pushing almost 280 horses. :P

#5 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:13 AM

93 octane? I can't get anything lower than 95, next full tank on my car might be 98 Though. :D

One thing I don't get with the US. If the accident rating for 16 year olds are so high, why isn't there better training to get a licence.

#6 BiggieCheez

BiggieCheez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Yes NJ gas prices suck. Like $3.19 around me. So my neighbors also want to sell me their 1998 ford expedition for $500 (they are a family friend) which I think would be good for me. I has a lot of power (V8), leather seats, everything power controlled, full tints, and I can beat it up without the fear of having to go home and my dad chop my head off with the keys. What do you guys think

BST Feedback 3/0/0

#7 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

93 octane? I can't get anything lower than 95, next full tank on my car might be 98 Though. :D

One thing I don't get with the US. If the accident rating for 16 year olds are so high, why isn't there better training to get a licence.

I think it has more to do with the mindset and marturity of the person driving. I'm not saying that the training and education doesn't matter. But as soon as you are on your own behind the wheel feeling like you are the king of the road is not uncommon. People tend to take risks they are not ready to handle and drive more slopply in general because there is no one sitting next to them watching their every move. I have a friend that drives like an absolute moron (i'm sure i do as well but holy fuck, he is a bad driver). He got his license like two or three weeks after me and his parents even spent more on his education than my parents spent on mine (more lessons). He doesn't brake in time forcing him to slam the brakes way to fucking late. He plays loud as fuck music so that you can hear him coming from a mile away. I imagine that many teenagers like me and him drive like this. And i can imagine that since you can get your license at a much earlier age and a lot easier in the states that contributes a lot to the accident rates at a low age. 

o8qo.jpg

#8 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

It's also not just kids that drive like morons in the states, it's adults who should know better too. You always have to be on the lookout now it seems cause you never know if some dumb bitch and/or dickhead will run a light or stop sign cause they're tweeting about how they don't wanna go to work that morning.

#9 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

It's not the lack of training that's a problem, it's that kids are generally idiots, no offense meant to OP, not saying you are, just saying the majority of kids are. Doesn't matter how much training you give them if they're just going to be a moron and believe themselves to be invincible. Can't count the number of times I've given advice to new drivers and told them they have to be extra careful and vigilant, because they're more likely to wreck than anybody. And the most common response is "No I won't, I'm a good driver, I can do anything I want while driving and I won't wreck." And then they wonder why they wreck.

And 93 is the highest we can easily get at the pumps. 87 is low grade, 89 is mid, and 91 or 93 is high, but my car doesn't like 91 as much as it likes 93.

#10 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Yes NJ gas prices suck. Like $3.19 around me. So my neighbors also want to sell me their 1998 ford expedition for $500 (they are a family friend) which I think would be good for me. I has a lot of power (V8), leather seats, everything power controlled, full tints, and I can beat it up without the fear of having to go home and my dad chop my head off with the keys. What do you guys think

As long as nothing major is wrong with it, that's not a bad deal. I'm honestly wary of such a low price, thinking there must be something fairly majorly wrong with it, or they suspect something fairly big will go wrong with it soon. It's 16 years old, you have to remember that, so it's entirely possible it's past its prime and will crap out before two long. You want a beater car that will generally last two years or so, because that's how long it usually takes for a new driver to wreck. Generally in the first 6 months to a year of getting their license, but might as well play it safe and try for two.

#11 BiggieCheez

BiggieCheez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

It is not that it has been mistreated, they just got new cars and just don't need it anymore. They wouldn't sell me a car that was about to crap out. I do all of their landscaping and snow removal for free so I guess this is a gift for doing that through out the years. Also a correction, it is a 2001.

Edited by BiggieCheez, 06 March 2014 - 12:04 PM.

BST Feedback 3/0/0

#12 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

It is not that it has been mistreated, they just got new cars and just don't need it anymore. They wouldn't sell me a car that was about to crap out. I do all of their landscaping and snow removal for free so I guess this is a gift for doing that through out the years. Also a correction, it is a 2001.

If you've got a mechanic buddy then I'd have them check it out, make sure it's sound. And if it is then I'd get that. Just make sure you have really good insurance on it, from a quality insurance company that won't flake on you and leave you holding the bill if you wreck.

My number one piece of advice is to either put your phone on silent, or, preferably, turn it completely off when you get into the car. Other advice is to don't drive friends around, and don't drive someone around who is likely to try and push you past your ability. If I had to guess, I'd say the number one cause of kids wrecking is cell phones, and number two is trying to show off for their friends. If you can avoid those things, then you have drastically reduced the likelihood that you'll wreck.

Just make sure you always carry your cellphone when you're driving, that way you can call for help if you do wreck.

#13 BiggieCheez

BiggieCheez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Yea I'm not the type to have my cell easily accessible to me. The only time I have taken my phone out while driving was to turn the vibration off (at a red light) because it was annoying me

BST Feedback 3/0/0

#14 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

For 500 bucks, do it. Even if it does crap out, it's only 500 bucks. As soon as something breaks that costs you more than 500 bucks, you can probably part it out or sell it as is and make money in the end.

#15 BiggieCheez

BiggieCheez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

For 500 bucks, do it. Even if it does crap out, it's only 500 bucks. As soon as something breaks that costs you more than 500 bucks, you can probably part it out or sell it as is and make money in the end.

That's what my thought process is, and even then, I know a guy who can get me pretty much anything for a HUGE discount. The only problem is that it hasn't started in 2 years so I will have to do a lot to get it ready for the road/ emissions test

BST Feedback 3/0/0

#16 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

It's not the lack of training that's a problem, it's that kids are generally idiots, no offense meant to OP, not saying you are, just saying the majority of kids are. Doesn't matter how much training you give them if they're just going to be a moron and believe themselves to be invincible. Can't count the number of times I've given advice to new drivers and told them they have to be extra careful and vigilant, because they're more likely to wreck than anybody. And the most common response is "No I won't, I'm a good driver, I can do anything I want while driving and I won't wreck." And then they wonder why they wreck.

And 93 is the highest we can easily get at the pumps. 87 is low grade, 89 is mid, and 91 or 93 is high, but my car doesn't like 91 as much as it likes 93.

I would say actual training would help, a lot. It wpn't fix the problem, not at all, but when the 16 yeart old behind the wheel actually know somewhat how to handle a car on slippery roads. The outcome would be improved at least.

#17 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

Generally, the majority of wrecks caused by young drivers are caused by a distraction of some sort rather than losing control of the vehicle due to adverse conditions.

#18 BiggieCheez

BiggieCheez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

Generally, the majority of wrecks caused by young drivers are caused by a distraction of some sort rather than losing control of the vehicle due to adverse conditions.

now here is a question that I really would like answered... If my parents have a lease on our Honda Civic and for some odd reason I were to total or in any way wreck it, how does the insurance work on a lease? Do they give the money to the bank, you or the Honda dealer to pay off the rest of the car? Thanks

BST Feedback 3/0/0

#19 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,898 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

That's something should be spelled out in the lease I believe. Generally the insurance will pay whoever owns the vehicle, and your lease should specify what happens with the remainder of the lease and however much money you still owe under the terms of the lease. Ask your parents, they should either be able to look it up in their lease or call the people who actually own the vehicle and they should be able to answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users