24 replies to this topic

#1 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

im looking to add a new element of fun and challenge whenever i go to play recball. i also want to save on paint costs a little bit as paint here can be quite expensive. 
which of the two would you guys recommend? 

#2 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

I would recommend magfed because I like getting that hopper out of my face and I like the challenge of being limited to 20 rounds at a time. 

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#3 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,899 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Depends on how much you want to spend. Magfed can be more expensive as you'll need magazines and a way to hold them. If you're looking at saving money then a pump will generally be a cheaper way to go. I personally prefer magfed because I find it more enjoyable, but I also enjoy pump. If it were me I'd pick up a Scarab Arms TGR-2. But if you don't have much money then I'd pick up a cheap autococker pump.

#4 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Milsig m17 rules the magfed market right now. Only $300 for the basic model. The other models are more expensive because they have all aluminum construction and more accessories that come stock. All the things you need are in the CQC package, though.

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#5 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

Sr1 or hammer 7

Pumps/bolt action and they are either hand loaded or magfed
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#6 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Sr1 or hammer 7

I feel like that is too much of a handicap unless you are using first strikes. Those guns have a magazine size of around 7 right? So you have 7 rounds (13 less than normal) and you need to pump it every shot.

#7 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Sr1 or hammer 7

I feel like that is too much of a handicap unless you are using first strikes. Those guns have a magazine size of around 7 right? So you have 7 rounds (13 less than normal) and you need to pump it every shot.

the sr1 is way out of my budget and i like the concept of the marker but i feel that it is too much of a specialty gun that only serves one purpose.

as for the hammer 7, i did consider it originally but the small mag capacity (9 rounds) and the asa that goes out the back of the marker instead of a bottomline kinda turned me away from it.

if i were to go with pump, which is the more likely option, then i'd be looking for something that is center feed, has a bottomline asa and is around $200-$300 
for magfed i would be able to go a little higher on budget, it would just take me longer to accumulate the extra mags and other things i might need for it. 

if you guys have any other suggestions i would love to hear them. :)

#8 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

I bought a Hammer 7 exactly for this reason,don't usually play public fields but when I do I leave my electros at home

It's been a great gun for me especially for the price.I realize I suck at pump but it's still fun

The First Strike option is awesome.I didn't believe the hype untill I used them myself.My 1st scenario I got 4 confirmed hits and 2 potential with around 30 rounds.

I think the H7 is a great cheap introduction to pump AND magfed,plus if you don't like it it won't depreciate in value too much unlike the flavor of the month magfeds.I've bottomlined mine using brake tubing and fittings and a CP on\off ASA

Edited by Punisher068, 08 March 2014 - 01:13 PM.

#9 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yep you can bottom line a hammer 7 if the back bottle doesn't suit your fancy. It's also dual feed compatible so you can turn it into a center fed open class marker.

Pump wise at that range you can pickup a used Empire sniper
gnUDL.png

#10 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yep you can bottom line a hammer 7 if the back bottle doesn't suit your fancy. It's also dual feed compatible so you can turn it into a center fed open class marker.

whats the pump stroke like on the hammer 7 compared to something like the sniper or a cocker pump?

#11 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

whats the pump stroke like on the hammer 7 compared to something like the sniper or a cocker pump?

Hammer pump action isn't nearly as nice as a nice Cocker pump.The stroke doesnt have much play and its fairly smooth but much stiffer.It does have a forward bolt lock which helps with double feeding and understroking but it still has an autotrigger.Not the best magfed or pump out there but a good compromise for both.

#12 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

thanks for all the help so far guys! i really appreciate all of your input

ive decided i want to go the route of pump play

i narrowed it down to either a new hammer 7 and parts for a bottomline , a new kaos pump, a used empire sniper, or a used cocker pump.

which would you guys recommend out of the 4, and why would you chose it over the other 3?

#13 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

For an all out pump you can't beat a Cocker.Again I'm newer to pump play but I've shot plenty.Sterling's are my favorite

Snipers are basically  pre pneumatic Autococker.The options for Cocker pumps are endless,parts are still common ,they're very smooth and consistent when tuned right.For a dedicated pump they're hard to beat

.There are good and bad ones,I'm far from a Cocker expert

I like the Hammer for the options.It got me interested in pump,magfed and First Strikes.While it's not as consistent or smooth as Cocker pumps I've shot and it has minor quirks(last FS round not always feeding) it does everything and more I could hope for in a $120 gun

.It like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Lexus IS,both will get you ther reliably but ones much nicer to drive

#14 ForcePlate

ForcePlate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

There is a autococker pump for sale on trademygun for 150$ http://www.trademygu...ocker-pump.aspx

#15 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,112 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

never seen a mag fed gun actually work.

so, if you want a gun that works, buy a pump.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#16 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

Don't be so biased and condescending.

#17 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:26 AM

He's being honest, every mag fed marker I've seen has either chopping or leaking issues.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#18 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I'd agree about most magfeds not working correctly,IMHO is think it's the build quality of most available magfeds(except the SR1)most use older tech for the bolt&engine design.Feeding the last FS round in my Hammer is the only issue I've had with it,oddly if I load 8 rounds instead of 9 in the mag it works fine.My homemade magfeds don't have feeding or breaking issues,attribute this to using Ion low force bolt setups with eyes

Keep in mind magfed is newer tech to paintball,given some time the kinks will be worked out

#19 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

He's being honest, every mag fed marker I've seen has either chopping or leaking issues.

He's also assuming that no magfed marker works because he has never seen one that works. 

#20 khorazy

khorazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

My milsig k Series mk3 with he heatcore has never Skipped A beat although i did have A problem using 48/3000 chopping paint but i think he output pressure was too high, with he 13/3k it works flawlessly, now my riends a5 and mkv both with rap4 magfed conversions to use dmags is A iff. story hes always having problems, my milsig has been good to me, cant say anything about tiberius or scarab as iv never seen or shot any.

#21 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

My milsig k Series mk3 with he heatcore has never Skipped A beat although i did have A problem using 48/3000 chopping paint but i think he output pressure was too high, with he 13/3k it works flawlessly, now my riends a5 and mkv both with rap4 magfed conversions to use dmags is A iff. story hes always having problems, my milsig has been good to me, cant say anything about tiberius or scarab as iv never seen or shot any.

chopping wouldnt be caused by the tank, you would've either had bad paint or something wrong with your mags

but with all that said im gonna get a pump :)

thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it  :tup:

Edited by smurfinator22, 10 March 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#22 khorazy

khorazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Well it was paint from sports authority.. not the best place for fresh paint.. and GL with the pump always wanted a pump cocker.

#23 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Yea I personally think some manufacturers put too strong of a spring in the mags which can make things messy.

A hammer 7 will for sure be rougher to pump. I would buy a Empire sniper since you are new to pump and limited paint
gnUDL.png

#24 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

Yea I personally think some manufacturers put too strong of a spring in the mags which can make things messy.

A hammer 7 will for sure be rougher to pump. I would buy a Empire sniper since you are new to pump and limited paint

not really that new to limited paint. i have an sa-17 that i like to mess around with sometimes, but co2 cartridges are not the most convenient things ever

#25 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

ive decided i want to go the route of pump play

i narrowed it down to either a new hammer 7 and parts for a bottomline , a new kaos pump, a used empire sniper, or a used cocker pump.

which would you guys recommend out of the 4, and why would you chose it over the other 3?

I'll go with what I have read and what I have been told locally on 3 of the choices. First off a new Kaos pump I've hear you'll have issues and end up just up the pump until it's to what you'd like or for short you get what you pay for. For a cocker pump I've heard they're tough to get used to when you first start off as you have to sweet spot and all that jibberish people say. Then lastly the empire sniper is what a lot of people tell me to start off with pump as it's in the mid rand for pumps.

One suggestion I would try to say and it the route I am currently taking is get a used CCM pump as it's like the top of the line pump and you can find some for under 600 on PBN if your really lucky. I personally bought a new one and have to same some case, but in total I'm spending just shy of 800 because I got the different backs and a specific ano. Just  try any pumps/cockers out on the local field and see what you like the best and reference off that, I did that with a T2 and fell in love and now digging a deep hole in my pocket HA!!! But so worth it in the long run

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users