• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

I like both of these guns. I have heard that the drone's trigger is HORRIBLE and I don't want to have to pay 20-50 dollars for a new trigger. Between these 2 guns, which is better in all ways (no axe or etek 4).

#2 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

The Drone DX is still better in nearly every way, even with a poor trigger.  The Reflex Rail is overpriced for it's features, and is largely giving you similar to a Rail or Rail Maxxed for nearly $500.  In nearly every category you will enjoy the Drone DX more - reliability, efficiency, shot characteristics, board adjustment, etc.  Are these really your only two choices and why?

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

I dont mind the Drones trigger at all. Just as good as that on the Reflex IMO.

#4 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

A lot of ppl say that the etek 4 is louder and kickier (although its super effecient and reliable). I have tried out the axe and do not care for the feel for the gun. If I get a new marker, I would prefer smoothness to amount of maintenece (but both would be fine)

#5 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

I think you would be very pleased with a Drone DX, then.  The other comparable priced spools (XVR and Etha) are not as smooth as the Drone DX, while maintenance and price are similar.  The used market has a few choices as well (DMs, v1 victory with spool engine, shocker, quest, droid, etc.) if you decide to skip new for new-to-you.

#6 DasJaco

DasJaco

TIGER STYLE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

I think you would be very pleased with a Drone DX, then.  The other comparable priced spools (XVR and Etha) are not as smooth as the Drone DX, while maintenance and price are similar.  The used market has a few choices as well (DMs, v1 victory with spool engine, shocker, quest, droid, etc.) if you decide to skip new for new-to-you.

Etha and Drones are not spool valves. And I don't believe the XVR is either.

Lakeville Ambush #3

DLX Luxe 2.0

Dye Rotor

Ninja 77/4500

#7 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

What?  All three of those are spools.  Check out here: http://www.zdspb.com...animations.html

#8 DasJaco

DasJaco

TIGER STYLE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

What?  All three of those are spools.  Check out here: http://www.zdspb.com...animations.html
There inline poppits not spools.

Lakeville Ambush #3

DLX Luxe 2.0

Dye Rotor

Ninja 77/4500

#9 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

You're completely wrong.  All three are spools.  A poppet valve has a very distinct, quick opening mechanism.  The only two inline poppets on the market right now are the Axe/Mini platform and the Marq/Victory platform.  You can go to the website linked and look at the animation for the Droid to see the similar function of the Drone, look at the X7 Phenom to see the Crossover function, and then check out the Etha animation.  All spools, man.

#10 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

The Drone operates nearly the same as a Geo and the Crossover and Etha are similar to Automags IIRC. All spools yo

#11 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

If I get a drone dx, would there be any upgrades that would be needed (like how on my mini i had to get a new trigger cuz of my long fingers)

#12 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

It's up to you, but there are no upgrades required or needed.

#13 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

Also is this a new drone and is this site trustable?

http://paintballpunk...CFTFk7Aodb0oAiA

#14 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Buy from Aggressive Sports. They are guaranteed to have the fully 2013 updated Drone.

#15 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

It says there is such thing as a Drone GTI?!?!? I thought it was a CLONE GTI 

#16 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

The Drone GTi is a Drone DX with the OLED board from the Clone. The pressure readout is only on the Clone GTi though.

#17 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Oh. Is the OLED board the only difference??

#18 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

The grips are also different on the DX vs GTi Drones but the new grips can be bought separately as well.

#19 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Is the barrel on the Drone compatible with shift backs

#20 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

No. It's just the old two piece barrel Macdev used prior to the RX.

#21 Justin B.

Justin B.

One Nation D5 EPL Paintball 2014!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

I highly recommend that you buy a used high end marker on TechPB's BST or PBNation's BST. You will be much happier getting a used high end in the same price range as the Drone. I have never bought a marker brand new to this day. Some markers in the price range of the drone that are used high ends would be the Bob Long V1 Victory, Dye DM9, 2011 Bob Long G6R, and even a Geo 2 or 2.1. Once again, I highly recommend buying used. It is very safe as long as you use Paypal and you NEVER gift the payment, only send money as goods/services.

- Justin B.

One Nation

My Feedback: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210995

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#22 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

What would be a smooth high end marker that doesnt require a TON of maintainence

and dont some of those used markers have problems????

#23 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

What would be a smooth high end marker that doesnt require a TON of maintainence

You have to know what your looking for, I would recommend getting a marker that is not too beat up but is a little beat up. That way when you scratch it you won't be mad because every marker is going to get wear with use. Also, I have never had a used marker that has issues. As for guns that are smooth and don't require much maintenance, that is going to be the ones I listed (other than probably the DM9 because that requires a bit more maintenance) and probably a marq series marker. Marq series markers were made by Bob Long and they are really reliable and don't require too much maintenance (its an inline poppet engine). The marq's are also fairly cheap nowadays (like $300-$350). Finally marq series markers that I know of are the marq 6, marq 7, marq closer, marq edge (special milling so they will cost more), and the Darq marq (also special milling so they will cost more).

Hope this helps!

- Justin B.

One Nation

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#24 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Just make sure you are smart when buying - ask them about any previous problems and make sure you get a video of the marker shooting 300 FPS and showing that it does not have any leaks, etc.  You should not have any problems with buying used as long as you go about it the right way and buy from a trusted seller.

Edited by OMGitisZMD, 16 March 2014 - 07:41 PM.

Maryland Paintballer

#25 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

how do i make the paypal transaction??? will they send me a link or something or do i have to send them something???

#26 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

how do i make the paypal transaction??? will they send me a link or something or do i have to send them something???

They will send you their Paypal email address and when you are logged into your paypal account you will send them the amount of money they ask for. If you have any trouble with the transaction, people on here will help you for sure. Like I said too, NEVER gift money. If you gift money then you are unprotected by Paypal meaning that if the person rips you off then you can't get your money back.

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#27 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

Im on my Paypal right now. I see a button that says "Send Money". Is that what i click when  make the transaction??? Or is that the gift money that you were talking about.

#28 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Im on my Paypal right now. I see a button that says "Send Money". Is that what i click when  make the transaction??? Or is that the gift money that you were talking about.

Thats the right option. Just amke sure you always pick "Goods and Services" and not the one about sending money to friends/family.

#29 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

Is the Drone smoother than an Ego 10 or 11???

#30 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

Most definitely.  The Drone and Geo 2/2.1 are comparable in shot quality and sound but the Geo has much nicer grips, board, milling, trigger, etc.  Maintenance is basically equal between them.  Personally I'd take a used Geo over a Drone any day due to ergonomics (much more space to wrap your hand around the reg on a Geo) but both are nice guns.  Its just a matter of new vs used.

#31 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Most definitely.  The Drone and Geo 2/2.1 are comparable in shot quality and sound but the Geo has much nicer grips, board, milling, trigger, etc.  Maintenance is basically equal between them.  Personally I'd take a used Geo over a Drone any day due to ergonomics (much more space to wrap your hand around the reg on a Geo) but both are nice guns.  Its just a matter of new vs used.

Yea, listen to Playdoh, he's a good friend of mine and definitely knows what he is talking about.

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#32 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

So whats the difference between the Geo 2 and 2.1? Is the Geo 2.1 worth the 100 extra dollars compared to the Geo 2/Drone GTI?? Also does both of the Geos have a tool-less clamping feedneck like the Drone or do you have to use the allen keys to tighten it?

#33 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

This will clarify the Geo 2 vs. 2.1:  http://www.eclipse-o...read.php?t=4568

(bottom line, I would not pay $100 more for that personally - your mileage may vary)

Both Geo models have a tool-less clamping feedneck.  Nearly all of the markers in this price range are going to have that.

#34 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

For some reason it my IP adress is banned. Is the server that the website is run on whitelisted or something??

#35 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Weird, not sure - anyway, to summarize: the only difference between the Geo 2 and 2.1 is that the 2.1 has an angled regulator collar for connection to the ASA, and it uses a POPS ASA which has the macroline tubing come out of the front instead of the side.  There's also the chance that a Geo 2 will have a purge control valve in the regulator collar (all late-model Geo 2s and all Geo 2.1s have the PCV in the marker body).

#36 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Do both Geos have LED boards or OLED boards??

#37 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Used models can have an OLED (I know Virtue made an upgrade kit), but I'm fairly confident that stock is LCD for both.

#38 yopyop1007

yopyop1007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Oh ok. Thanks for all the info!!

#39 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

I say just get whichever you can find cheaper. I have shot both and I can say that there isn't any difference. OLED boards don't matter really but I do believe that both the 2 and 2.1 have one built into the back of the marker's grip frame.

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users