15 replies to this topic

#1 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Anyone else a tiny person even though they lift?

I'm 5'10, 150 and my wrists are crazy thin. Ive been lifting for a while to improve my soccer and paintball skillz. Ive seen some growth which is encouraging, but being tiny sucks.

Is this pathetic?
(1RM)
Back Squat - 195
Bench Press - 105
Power Clean - 130
Deadlift - 210

What should my goals be?

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#2 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#3 Zer0psi

Zer0psi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

nawh that is just fine. it takes time to build and time to increase strength. Age can also have a lot to do with it. depending on your age and what point your body is in with developing, that could slow the rate of muscle growth due to your body focusing on changing to an adult. By the way I am not talking about puberty or anything like that. Teens (which I am only guess you are) are constantly changing and developing. So don't get discouraged. When I was in high school I was 6'1 150 slim. I weight trained and got cut up, but strength and muscles were slow going. Just keep at it and lift smart. Also there is a lot of info on teen body building on bodybuilding.com.
Posted Image

#4 Talucci

Talucci

Canadian Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

You can lift a lot for deads, good job with that. Those aren't pathetic numbers for your body size. Just keep lifting, rest, and eat clean you'll see results.

#5 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Eat more. The absolute most important factor in getting big or getting stronger is eating. Eat 500 cals above your TDEE each day, adjust your intake weekly so that you gain 0.5lb/1.0lb a week. Note that the first few weeks will have a lot of water weight gained, so don't freak out when you gain 4lb in a week. Hit your macros too. (iifym.com/iifym-calculator)

Regardless of what your after in terms of size or strength, building a strength base is very important. You should run a strength based or beginner program until you can bench/squat/deadlift 225/315/405. BLSS and ICF5x5 are both great, but I think ICF5x5 is the best. (http://www.muscleand...-novice-workout) Start with 75% of your 1rm and add 5lb each time you do that exercise. When you fail to get 5x5 for 2 workouts in a row, deload that exercise by 10%. This is called progressive overload, this is your friend. Progressive overload is the second most important thing, next to eating.

Feel free to ask any questions. If you stay consistent with one of those 2 programs and eat a lot of food, you should be squatting 225+ within 4 weeks (depending on how consistent/advanced you are now). When I started eating more, my monthly progress more than doubled. I went from a 185x4 squat [atg] to 235x1 [atg] in about 2 months.

#6 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

I was too lazy to read Baconboys post.

Here are my current maxes:

Bench: 185

Squat: 295

Clean: 180

Dead: 300

I'm not trying to show off, but I weight  about 10ish pounds less than you so I guess you kind of have a goal now, and that's where I'm at right now. My numbers aren't really that good, but if you lift consistently you'll be getting big in no time. What kind of workouts have you been doing?

#7 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

Monday (Week 1): 5,3,1,1 (65%,75%,85%,95%) Deadlift and Squats/ 4x10 one leg squats / 4x10 front squats

Tuesday (Week 1): 5,3,1,1 (65%,75%,85%,95%) Powerclean and Benchpress / Incline DB BP /  4x12 DB Rows superset with wide grip pull downs

Wednesday (Week 1): Cardio day (changes everytime)

Thursday (Week 1): I forgot

Friday (Week 1): 5,3,1,1 (65%,75%,85%,95%) Snatch and Clean plus Jerk / 4x10 Military press/ 4x10 DB rows superset with DB shoulder press

Workout is the same every day:

Week 2: 5x5 (65%,75%,85%,85%,90%)

Week 3: Forgot :/

Week 4: 3x5 plus AMRAP (65%,75%,85%,65%)

Current Goals: (Hoping to achieve in a year or so)

Bench 225

Squat 300

Clean 185

Dead 325

Edited by The Recballer, 05 April 2014 - 03:56 PM.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

#8 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

Here is my schools program:

Week 1 ______ 6x2 (80%) ______ 6x3 (80%) ______ 6x2 (80%)

Week 2 ______ 6x4 (80%) ______ 6x2 (80%) ______ 6x5 (80%)

Week 3 ______ 6x2 (80%) ______ 6x6 (80%) ______ 6x2 (80%)

Week 4 ______ 5x5 (80%) ______ 6x2 (80%) ______ 4x4 (90%)

Week 5 ______ 6x2 (80%) ______ 3x3 (95%) ______ 6x2 (80%)

Week 6 ______ 2x2 (100%) ______ 6x2 (80%) ______ NEW 1RM (105%)

We use this for our workout which is all of our core lifts (bench, incline, squat, clean) . On the days of 6x2 or other low rep days we add in other lifts in addition to all the core lifts. Usually we would add overhead squats at 4x8 (60%) straight leg dead lift (50 reps 50%) curls (3x21) 21s are 7 partials halfway up, 7 halfway down, and 7 full. Then hammer curls or something along those lines. These "axillary" lifts change from day to day but will always be 4 lifts and 2 will focus on arms and 2 will focus on legs. This might not be the best way to do weights, but I've easily increased 100lbs+ in total on all my core lifts since school started.

Edited by A&MBaller, 05 April 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#9 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Monday (Week 1): 5,3,1,1 (65%,75%,85%,95%) Deadlift and Squats/ 4x10 one leg squats / 4x10 front squats

Tuesday (Week 1): 5,3,1,1 (65%,75%,85%,95%) Powerclean and Benchpress / Incline DB BP /  4x12 DB Rows superset with wide grip pull downs

Powercleans 1 day after deadlifts with no break. 1 day of legs in the entire week. Goodnight sweet gains. Not to mention that the weights for the rep work is WAY too low.

A&M's program looks solid, but some of it looks a little weird, like going from 5x5 to 6x2 without changing the weight at all. I'd honestly just recommend a beginner's program, linear progression, and food. BLSS or ICF5x5.

I'm currently at 131lb with the following lifts (because everyone else is doing it):

S- 225 5x5

B- 170x1

D- 310x1

My squat is a weakpoint, but it's been going up very nicely. Is that squat with wraps A&M? If not that's a pretty solid squat compared to your other lifts.

#10 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Its actually with a squat suit and wraps, but I suck at squat and the deep squat for powerlifting is insanely deep. So... But I do agree our coaches program is a bit odd but I've seen good results so I figured its worth recommending.

#11 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

New Maxes:

BP: 110

Deadlift: 250

PC: 135

#12 AaronAlso

AaronAlso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

I"m not a small or buff guy so don't take my word as gospel. However, I have had my fair share of experience with lifting and weightloss over the years. The first thing to keep in mind is that muscle is so much more difficult to build than body fat. There has been a drastic change in thinking about how to build strength in the past few years. Where once it was thought that we needed to lift 3-4 days a week continually stressing the muscles to keep them growing. Today, science is slowly changing that paradigm. It is becoming more accepted that stressing the body to the edge of failure and then allowing 5-7 days for complete recovery is more effective at building muscle mass. I know it sounds completely contrary to logic, but it is more atuned to human physiology.

https://www.youtube....h?v=2PdJFbjWHEU

This video covers the subject in much better detail than I can explain. While I'm not convinced about the whole paleo diet thing, the workout techniques he covers are in line with something known as Interval training which has been very effective for me at times in my life. There is also a well known phenomena of muscle acclimation. That is to say that if you do the  same exercises regularly, your muscles will become used to those specific stresses and will develop more slowly. It is reccomended that every 30 days, at minimal, you change things up while still working the same muscle groups. [i.e. squats to lunges, bench press to fly press, ect.]

With all that being said, you should also note that some body types have a much harder time bulding muscle than others. My body type can build muscle fairly easily, but has a hard time lossing the body fat; Endomorph. From your description Im guessing you are an Ectomorphic body type. Don't be discouraged by this as nothing is written in stone, just be aware of it and work that much harder to overcome the challenges ahead.

Good Luck!

BTW: here is the follow-up to the video I posted above.

Edited by AaronAlso, 08 May 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#13 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:22 PM

Just going to jump in here. We lift for football every day of the offseason. Since I am a freshman and this is my first year lifting, I am not nearly as strong as others. When my lifting first started, here were my maxes. Also don't forget, I am 6 foot

Bench-95
Squat-155
Cleans-95

After about 4 months of weight lifting 4 times a week for about one hour per day following my school's football workout

Bench-215
Squat-345
Cleans-165

I know 2 things that get you results.

1) Fully extend and have prefect form. For example, when squatting, make sure your back is straight, you pull your shoulders back, and you sit down and get up, touching the boxes every rep.

2) Good posture is key. I know what you think, what does posture have to do with anything? We'll look around. Did you ever notice that the jacked guys have perfect posture. Don't ask me why, because I don't know why but good posture means a lot
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#14 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

^^ Agree with #1 to an extent. You shouldn't have improper form (lumbar spine rounding, not squatting to depth, etc) but you should NEVER sacrifice weight for perfect form. There are so many people that are afraid to jump from say 225 to 230 because there form isn't perfect. When they do make the jump, they find out that they have 255-260 in them. Unless there is a legality/safety issue, keep increasing. Linear progression and food are the two best things

#15 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

I always squat past even and always fully extend my arms on the presses.

#16 epikfailpaintball2.0

epikfailpaintball2.0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Its not about how much weight you can lift. I thought the same thing in high school, but now I play college lacrosse and I found more satisfying and noticeable results when you focus on form and trying to isolate the muscles you're trying to lift with. Using that knowledge I went from 185 lbs to 205 in a year and a half.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users