• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

I have an ion now and I was looking into buying a proto rail 2011 with upgraded feedneck and macro line not braided line for $150 and I was wondering if it would be worth buying that or just Save up for a more expensive gun and if there's one you have in mind leave it as a suggestion please. Try to keep it under $300. Thanks!

#2 LE rambo

LE rambo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:38 PM

I say save up on a high end gun. I start out with an tippmann A5 and upgraded it, then I got a Etek3, upgraded it. In the end, I got my self a CSL, and it out outperformed both of them, so all money I drop into the entry-level gun is basically a waist.  

Edited by LE rambo, 16 March 2014 - 11:45 PM.

Planet Eclipse CSL
ninja 50/45
Dye Rotor

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:54 PM

I say save up on a high end gun. I start out with an tippmann A5 and upgraded it, then I got a Etek3, upgraded it. In the end, I got my self a CSL, and it out outperformed both of them, so all money I drop into the entry-level gun is basically a waist.  

Obviously a $1800 marker will have luxuries an Etek doesn't.  However as long as you have a marker that can shoot PSP 12.5 and works what else do you really need?

OP I would suggest trying out some markers at your field and/or proshop.  I would not say a Rail is an upgrade from an Ion much at all.  They operate nearly the same.  Once you have an idea of a price range, features and qualities in the you like in the future we can give you some good suggestions here.  For now spend that money on paint and entry. :)

#4 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Alright thanks. Would a invert mini be a good upgrade? I'm gonna see if my shop has one to hold it in my hands and see if I like it. If I like the feel of it, is it a good upgrade?

Edited by TristanV33, 17 March 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#5 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

More efficient and simpler/less frequent maintenance. What exactly are you looking to improve upon from your Ion?

#6 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'm just looking for a newer easier to switch modes, easier to clean, and one that looks better

#7 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

How often do you switch firing modes?

#8 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Well I never really switch them when I'm playing right now because I have to take the grip half way off then mess with the settings and its a pain so I just keep it on one setting

#9 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Im just trying to ask why you need to I guess.

#10 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

I guess I don't need to I'd just like having the luxury of being able to.

#11 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

My advice would be to say up a little more for a used supergun like an older Ego, Vice, DM, Marq etc. Way more bang for your buck while staying around the same budget.

#12 Toxin PB

Toxin PB

California Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

If you can't come up with 5 legit reasons to upgrade you shouldn't , wait until you need to and save money up to do so.

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

So I came from a similar situation not too long ago. I first had this old JT Tac-5m Recon. Then I got an old 98 from a friend. After that, I got an old Ion from a friend's shed that I got for helping his dad paint a room is his new office. It worked pretty well, despite being rusty looking and stuck in a shed for years. I know what's on your mind when you go to the field and see all those nicer, newer, more tech. advanced markers out there while you have an Ion. I got an eXTCy out of just plain preference. My cousin is a local gun whore, and later let me use his drone DX. MAJOR upgrade from both those guns. No little things to worry about, and no annoyance at the plasticky look and feel of my marker. I was with the locals in having a nicer gun. The eXTCy is a great gun, don't get me wrong, I played in local tournies with that and played rec for quite a while with it. But had I decided to save up, I would have gotten a mid end marker instead and went from there.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#14 PaintballShotUp

PaintballShotUp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

what type of mask and hopper do you have? upgrade those first

#15 TristanV33

TristanV33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

I already have a good mask and hopper. I found a g5 for $180 on Craigslist. Should I pick it up or get an Etha? It seems like a really good deal

Edited by TristanV33, 24 March 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#16 Ninjaafro

Ninjaafro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

I would get a g5 but people hate it. I love them personally but you just need to put different lube on the bolt other then the stock lube.

#17 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Just stick with your Ion for now.

#18 PaintballShotUp

PaintballShotUp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

save up

#19 tcheekdye

tcheekdye

Bitch im just bustin at em

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:57 AM

Go on pbnation and low ball the shit out of people and get an ego

giphy.gifTECH PB HEAVY METAL FAN CLUB  http://www.techpb.co...metal-fan-club/

#20 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket. Look at new soft gear. How are you set on pods, pod pack, pads (knee and elbow), pants, cleats (other footwear), clean towels, lube, tools (for maintanence). Is your mask really what it should be? Which loader are you using? How old is your tank?

I've built several Ions and keep wanting to build more. Two of them now belong to my son. They are great little markers and upgrades (other than boards, those aren't cheap) are inexpensive and plentiful. Unless, you're just looking to be the Next Big Gun Whore, there's no real reason to upgrade.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users