16 replies to this topic

#1 brokepballer

brokepballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Let me explain the whole story...

got an etek 4 for xmas, used it on the field one winter weekend with stock barrel. Trying to check the bore, the balls were getting stuck in the stock .693 but they shot fine anyway. Yesterday i take the gun to the field with a new stella barrel .685 back .689 front and 14" tip. I was able to blow dart the paintballs so i figured it was a good match. played one game with maybe 1 barrel break (used a full rotor and 4 pods). the next game i chopped a ball and my gun turned to soup so i cleaned it and found that one of the detents was broken so i replaced it. Played another game and it shot fine for half a rotor then i got what i believe to be barrel breaks since the breach and loader where clean this time, but i had to walk off the field to clean it. thinking the bore size may have been inconsistent i switched to the stock .693 barrel, but i was still getting barrel breaks not letting me finish the game.

i was using the field paint which is dxs basic training, which i read is not a delicate paint to be using.

anyone have any suggestions to what the problem might be? should i be buying better paint?

#2 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

I'm not sure, usually barrel breaks are caused by under boring, but if I was you I'd check the detents again, clean the eyes (I think this might be your problem), clean your rammer and relube it, and clean the breach and the bolt itself, also you may want to raise your dwell slightly (for winter play you sometimes want to do this), if you do all that it should work fine. Try that and see if it works.

#3 brokepballer

brokepballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'm not sure, usually barrel breaks are caused by under boring, but if I was you I'd check the detents again, clean the eyes (I think this might be your problem), clean your rammer and relube it, and clean the breach and the bolt itself, also you may want to raise your dwell slightly (for winter play you sometimes want to do this), if you do all that it should work fine. Try that and see if it works.

iv cleaned my detents at least 3 times already, as well as cleaning the eyes (tested them afterwards too rammer breach and bolt, ill try the dwell thing but i have played with the factory settings in the winter before with no problem.

#4 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be the dwell, as there tends to be more bolt stick in winter (usually for spools) so raise the dwell and make sure you lube the rammer (not too much, just enough) and completely clean the bolt, barrel and the breach and then try shooting, also make sure there isn't any leaks in the gun, after that shoot it and tell me if it worked or not.

Edited by SPARTAN1147789, 24 March 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#5 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

Also is it making an odd sound when break paint, like a hiccup or something?

#6 brokepballer

brokepballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Also is it making an odd sound when break paint, like a hiccup or something?

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be the dwell, as there tends to be more bolt stick in winter (usually for spools) so raise the dwell and make sure you lube the rammer (not too much, just enough) and completely clean the bolt, barrel and the breach and then try shooting, also make sure there isn't any leaks in the gun, after that shoot it and tell me if it worked or not.

no hiccups or anything. shoots fine without paintballs in it lol... ill try raising the dwell.

#7 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

I think what's happening is that the rammer is getting stuck so it's not making full contact with the poppet, so the paintball will be pushed towards the barrel without enough pressure to leave the barrel, the rammer for next paintball then makes full contact with the poppet which applies full force to the paintball causing it to collide with the paintball in the barrel, causing a barrel break. This is just a theory, though if this is the case having a lubed rammer and raising the dwell should solve the problem, here's a bolt animation of an Etek/Ego firing normally to help illustrate the concept:

ego1_large.gif

#8 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Likely just bad paint. It doesnt have to be brittle to break like that.

#9 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

True, that is a possibility, try different paint if you can.

#10 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

It could just as simple as a bad case of paint, or having the torque settings too high on your Rotor. 

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#11 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,066 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Proper underboring does not break paint. 95% of the time, it's the interaction between the bolt and ball stack that's the issue, whether it be weak detents, too strong of a force on the stack from the loader, or just bad paint that can't handle normal use.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 24 March 2014 - 04:29 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#12 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

It could just as simple as a bad case of paint, or having the torque settings too high on your Rotor. 

That would cause a break in the loader or a break in the breech, not in the barrel. So I think it's either bad paint or the dwell is too low due to winter conditions.

#13 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,066 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

That would cause a break in the loader or a break in the breech, not in the barrel. So I think it's either bad paint or the dwell is too low due to winter conditions.

Nope. If a ball gets a weak spot or fracture before it is shot, it can still manifest as a barrel break. PE did extensive testing on this, which is how they came up with their cure bolt system.

http://youtu.be/WXM6MpEsalA?t=1m41s

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#14 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

Not really, the loading cycle (feedneck to breach/past detents) can put a small crack in the ball. When thr air pulse occurs it blows the paint out of it and can totally shatter it.

#15 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

Nope. If a ball gets a weak spot or fracture before it is shot, it can still manifest as a barrel break. PE did extensive testing on this, which is how they came up with their cure bolt system.

http://youtu.be/WXM6MpEsalA?t=1m41s

Interesting. So check the torque setting for the rotor, raise the dwell, and make sure everything is clean and the rammer is lubed. If you're still breaking paint it's probably the paint.

Edited by SPARTAN1147789, 24 March 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#16 brokepballer

brokepballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

i shot the rest of that case so im hoping it was just a bad case lol i will consider what everyone has said if it happens with a different brand of paint.

#17 brokepballer

brokepballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

just as an update, i bought a case of crappy sports authority paint. shot about 1/4 of it without break. I'm assuming the problem was that when replaced/cleaned my detents, i wasnt putting them in properly causing them to move around when i shot. just realized that the dentents actually press into the "slot" milled into the body under the eye covers, instead of what i was doing which was just resting them in those "slots". anyway i hope that was the problem.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: barrel, breaks, etek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users