16 replies to this topic

#1 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hi guys, I was thinking of getting my 2011 Bob Long G6R anodized. I was wondering if there are any problems with anodizing I want to know about. I heard that anodizing can screw with tolerances, and I also heard Bob Long markers have super tight tolerances. Is it too risky? What tolerances really change? I wanted to get it done with caustic customs or fx anodizing so does that reduce risk? This is also the first re-ano after the factory ano. I am planning on getting a dust black main with polished teal accents and a polished orange splash on the teal accents. My marker is currently all polished. Does making the marker dust in certain parts also affect tolerances?

So basically I just want to know everything I need to know about anodizing, especially related to a 2011 G6R. Thanks
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,064 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

If done properly, there will be no effect on the tolerances. As long as you use a reputable shop with a good track record, you should be fine. Caustic and FX are both excellent choices. The surface finish you choose will not have an effect on the internal tolerances.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#3 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

If done properly, there will be no effect on the tolerances. As long as you use a reputable shop with a good track record, you should be fine. Caustic and FX are both excellent choices. The surface finish you choose will not have an effect on the internal tolerances.

So I have nothing to worry about? Especially since on the accent parts have a splash so I believe that means a double ano
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#4 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,064 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

The anodizing process itself is not supposed to add or remove material, rather it changes the surface structure of the aluminum to become oxidized, which grows micropores down into the surface. It's these micropores that will accept a colored dye. What they do for splashes is anno a part to get it ready for the dye, then dye the whole part the splash color. They then splash the body with a blocking of some kind to protect the color they want, then remove the color from the rest of the part, then re-dye the color that will appear as the "base" color. Remove the blocking over the splash portion, then seal the color into the metal.

#5 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

The anodizing process itself is not supposed to add or remove material, rather it changes the surface structure of the aluminum to become oxidized, which grows micropores down into the surface. It's these micropores that will accept a colored dye. What they do for splashes is anno a part to get it ready for the dye, then dye the whole part the splash color. They then splash the body with a blocking of some kind to protect the color they want, then remove the color from the rest of the part, then re-dye the color that will appear as the "base" color. Remove the blocking over the splash portion, then seal the color into the metal.

Ok and what about the barrel? Will the bore size get changed or will the honing inside the barrel get screwed up?

#6 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,064 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

No, it will be fine.

Also, most anodizers will seal off the internal parts of a gun anyway when removing the old anno.

#7 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

No, it will be fine.

Also, most anodizers will seal off the internal parts of a gun anyway when removing the old anno.

On ok, thanks for all your help wookie, just don't want a $500 paperweight

#8 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

BLAST guns that use Dow 55 dont have super tight tolerances anyway. If anything its the other way around, the orings sometimes need to be swelled to get a perfect seal.

#9 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

BLAST guns that use Dow 55 dont have super tight tolerances anyway. If anything its the other way around, the orings sometimes need to be swelled to get a perfect seal.

Really? I heard they did. Huh. Well either way, it just makes it even more reassuring that it's safe

#10 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,064 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, tight tolerances ≠ tight fit and likewise loose tolerances ≠ loose fit. A part can fit really loosely and still have tight tolerances, and vice versa. Where tolerances come into play as being loose is if you take two of the same gun and dimensions of the finished product vary quite a bit, but are still within tolerance. Tolerances are just what an engineer/designer specifies to the machinist that a part can have without being rejected; like saying a part needs a .2" diameter +-.002". That means the part can be measured between .198-.202 and be acceptable to the design standards.

You need see the designs from the engineer/designer before you can make any declarations of tolerance.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 28 March 2014 - 09:36 PM.

#11 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Where can I find these designs from the engineer?

#12 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,064 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

You can't.

#13 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Oh... But anyway, I've found out that the ano is safe so when I get a new marker, I will send it in for ano so I don't destroy a custom ano

#14 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

The problem with annodizing is not the actual act of annodizing, it's the stripping off of the old surface. Basically you're bathing the parts in acid to remove the outer layer. This will ALWAYS mess with the dimensions, but if a shop is good and only leaves them in for as little a time as possible, the change is negligible. Usually it only matters if a marker has been re-annodized several times and gone though an acid bath several times. Sometimes though there are irreputable annodizers who just leave it in there too long (usually on accident or by negligence) and you're fucked. Make sure you go with a good company and you'll be fine. This is why the first time a marker is annodized usually the best, because there wasn't a layer to strip off to make it. You were starting with perfect unblemished aluminum in the first place.

Edited by Lotus, 29 March 2014 - 10:20 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

The problem with annodizing is not the actual act of annodizing, it's the stripping off of the old surface. Basically you're bathing the parts in acid to remove the outer layer. This will ALWAYS mess with the dimensions, but if a shop is good and only leaves them in for as little a time as possible, the change is negligible. Usually it only matters if a marker has been re-annodized several times and gone though an acid bath several times. Sometimes though there are irreputable annodizers who just leave it in there too long (usually on accident or by negligence) and you're fucked. Make sure you go with a good company and you'll be fine. This is why the first time a marker is annodized usually the best, because there wasn't a layer to strip off to make it. You were starting with perfect unblemished aluminum in the first place.

Well I was thinking of going with fx or caustic but probably fx so I think I should be okay

Edited by Pvlacrosse14, 29 March 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#16 evosamurai

evosamurai

Pumperton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

caustic customs is legit, all my parts fit snug and he even corks the barrel backs so the bore wont change.

Posted Image

#17 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

caustic customs is legit, all my parts fit snug and he even corks the barrel backs so the bore wont change.

Do you think he's worth $50 more than fx anodizing? I hear Mario at fx is just as good as stephen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bob, Long, G6R, Anodizing, FX, Effects, Tolerances, Leak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users