21 replies to this topic

#1 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

One of my friends is getting into paintball and I have been helping him out and trying to point him in the right direction as far as equipment goes.

This is what he is getting so far (keep in mind he doesn't have any paintball equipment atm)

GOG eNMEy

Proto Primo (I have one that  I can give to him to save him a little bit of money)

Guerilla 48/3000 (I recommended a Ninja 48/3000 but he wants the Guerilla because it is cheaper)

NXe 4 Pod Pack

Jerk Squeegee & Flex Swab Squeegee

Dow 33 Lube

As far as masks, I told him to go to a shop and try some on but he is leaning towards the Sly Profits.

Any advice/changes to the setup would be appreciated! 

Edited by OMGitisZMD, 15 April 2014 - 09:45 PM.

Maryland Paintballer

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

Only thing would be to avoid the Profits like the clap haha

#3 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

But if the Profits fit best, they are still 89% better than scratched up, foggy rental masks.

great advice to ur friend, BTW

Edited by Brook, 15 April 2014 - 10:16 PM.

...um...I have another stupid question...

#4 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

Only thing would be to avoid the Profits like the clap haha

I've tried to steer him towards Profilers, Grillz, i4s, and Eflexes but he seems set on the Profits.
From what I've heard the Profits are comfortable on some people but the communication/ability to hear is not great and the breathability/venting isn't great either.
Other than the above masks, what should I steer him towards?
Also, would you recommend the Ninja 48/3000 over the Guerilla 48/3000? Would you say its worth the extra $15?

Maryland Paintballer

#5 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

Steer towards proflex, eflex do not fit all so I've learned. Also ninja is my go to, could not use anything but ninja after coming from guerilla
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#6 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Steer towards proflex, eflex do not fit all so I've learned. Also ninja is my go to, could not use anything but ninja after coming from guerilla

Alright thanks! The reason I said Eflex over Proflex is because of the poor ear protection of the Proflex - sure you can get different ears for it but that is just more money :/

Maryland Paintballer

#7 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

The new Proflexes come with ears tgat are even better than the Eflexes. That said a set of hardears is like $7 so itd still be way cheaper than an Eflex if you did need new ears.

Some people think Profits are comfortable and ususally I say masks are personal preference but... when you cant breathe, cant hear, and the lens foam separates after a month I absolutely cant recommend them. Tgey fot really weird on me too, nkt sealing on my cheeks/nose at all unless I wear the strap super high.

#8 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

The new Proflexes come with ears tgat are even better than the Eflexes. That said a set of hardears is like $7 so itd still be way cheaper than an Eflex if you did need new ears.

Some people think Profits are comfortable and ususally I say masks are personal preference but... when you cant breathe, cant hear, and the lens foam separates after a month I absolutely cant recommend them. Tgey fot really weird on me too, nkt sealing on my cheeks/nose at all unless I wear the strap super high.

Alright I'll definitely warn my friend! Thanks for the help!

Maryland Paintballer

#9 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Yeah I have the limited edition ones that recently came out. I love the rubber ears on those better than the eflex, or anything with the moulded foam fabric thing
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#10 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Vio/Flexes/Profilers/Grillz/Everything Else 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#11 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

If you're playing anything other than speedball in an environment where air fills are easy and convenient, I'd be tempted to go with a higher capacity tank, like a 68/4500. Small tanks are a pain in the ass, unless you're playing pump. I know that adds between $50 and $100 to the cost of the setup, but consider that a tank could easily be used for 10 years or more...short money on an annualized basis. The Crossfire 68/45 I bought with my first setup is still going strong...only piece of that setup I still use.

Edited by Old Dude PB, 16 April 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#12 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

If you're playing anything other than speedball in an environment where air fills are easy and convenient, I'd be tempted to go with a higher capacity tank, like a 68/4500. Small tanks are a pain in the ass, unless you're playing pump. I know that adds between $50 and $100 to the cost of the setup, but consider that a tank could easily be used for 10 years or more...short money on an annualized basis. The Crossfire 68/45 I bought with my first setup is still going strong...only piece of that setup I still use.

I've also told my friend that but he doesn't even want to buy the Ninja 48/3000 because the Guerilla 48/3000 is $15 cheaper.

Maryland Paintballer

#13 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

Vio/Flexes/Profilers/Grillz/Everything Else 

He is trying to save money so I have recommended the Proflexes and Profilers - but I also told him not to skimp out on a mask.

Maryland Paintballer

#14 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

What masks will fit most faces? My friend has a pretty average sized head, I guess...

Maryland Paintballer

#15 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

What masks will fit most faces? My friend has a pretty average sized head, I guess...

There arent any. It depends on the person.

#16 Gameboy

Gameboy

Soccer+paintball=my life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

I would suggest he buys a used extcy if he can, its the same price as a new enmey and get an electronic loader, as far as tanks go, i would suggest going to a 45 scince as old dude said, they keep going for 10 years, and he will probably end up buying one anyways. Also if he has any money left, good elbow and knee pads are good along with pb pants.
If you are under 18 and pay for your gear put this in your sig

#17 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

Reming him that with the steelie, he will have to get it hydride every 3 years instead of 5, so he can spend that extra $50 ($30 for hydro and $20 for shipping), and have a better, lighter, higher capacity tank rather than just hand somebody the money for nothing pretty much. Also, go with ninja. They are by far the best and he will not regret it one bit
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#18 Lyxtwing

Lyxtwing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

I doubt he will ever notice a difference between a ninja and a gorilla.  If he wants to save the $15, let him.  If your friend is tall remind him that a 68/4500 will more than likely be more comfortable.  If he is buying local, make sure he holds his marker with with both as that may sell him on it.  The rest of the set up sounds good with a good mask.  If you lend/give him a primo as you say you can, down the road he can decide if he wants to start involving batteries.

I really like the enmey and really like mech set ups for beginners.  If he finds the stock barrel looks short, make sure he tries playing with it before buying a longer one.  I put a longer one on mine simply because I am accustomed to longer barrels, but it wont make any difference performance wise.

Edited by Lyxtwing, 17 April 2014 - 10:36 PM.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

PM8 I Alias I Marq 6 I A4 Fly I E1 I eNMey I Hammer 7

#19 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

I would suggest he buys a used extcy if he can, its the same price as a new enmey and get an electronic loader, as far as tanks go, i would suggest going to a 45 scince as old dude said, they keep going for 10 years, and he will probably end up buying one anyways. Also if he has any money left, good elbow and knee pads are good along with pb pants.

He said he doesn't want to buy used - didn't say why, just said he didn't want to buy used.  I told him that buying used is better the majority of the time but I think he's set on buying the eNMEy new.

Edited by OMGitisZMD, 18 April 2014 - 01:02 PM.

Maryland Paintballer

#20 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

Reming him that with the steelie, he will have to get it hydride every 3 years instead of 5, so he can spend that extra $50 ($30 for hydro and $20 for shipping), and have a better, lighter, higher capacity tank rather than just hand somebody the money for nothing pretty much. Also, go with ninja. They are by far the best and he will not regret it one bit

Alright, I'll let him know that.  At the moment, he is pretty much set on buying a steelie because it is cheaper & better than a CO2 tank.

Maryland Paintballer

#21 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

ANS has some really cheap CF tanks

#22 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer