8 replies to this topic

#1 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

So my father in law just purchased a MilSig M17 CQC.  His dilema now is that he can't decide between an Apex 2 or a threaded barrel back and he's defenitly not liking the miniature barrel that came already on it.  He only intends to use FS rounds part of the time.  I am up in the air on this one and can't make up my mind on what to tell him.  I have an apex 2 and love it, but I'm not on that magfed game. (I guess I am, but pistol only)

I had an Armson rifled barrel back in the late 90s but don't recall if it was that much better or me just talking shit back in the day.  From what I've been understanding in the punkworks forum is that a rifled barrel will help pre-spin FS rounds and make them more consistent.  I like this, but what is its affect on a regular paintball?  Is it worth the extra benefit on a FS round to have your regular rounds (Which will be the majority) affected?

I personally like the idea of an Apex because of the consistency, its easy to shoot and adjust aim to be on target with at least the 2nd or 3rd shot, but going magfed means you're on limited paint and can't always do that.  Also, on my Apex 2 I can still see the bumper when looking down the barrel even when the ramp is turned all the way off.  This would severely mess with the FS Rounds in the instance when he does want to use them. 

Thoughts? 

#2 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

An apex will not work correctly with FS rounds, flat out.  I would suggest he uses a regular honed barrel versus relying on the effect of the Apex whenever he's thinking of using FS rounds.  When I ran T9.1 Longbow I had to always use the Flasc barrel I had for both FS and regular balls.

This explains everything you need to know on rifling and FS rounds. http://www.techpb.co...ed-barrel-test/

TLDR: Rifling works for FSR, not regular balls.

#3 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

So, Apex works well with regular paint, but means no FS rounds period. And rifling works well with FS, but not well with regular paintballs. 

so to get that happy medium a standard barrel would work best.

Thanks, Cheevo.

#4 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

should be able to "turn off" the apex completely. so there is that option too.

the rifled barrel might be fine, it wont help normal paint (not much can) but it will help FS rounds.

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#5 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

Very true Gordon, however if I was shooting 40 cent rounds I wouldn't want the chance of one hitting the rubber of the apex ramp.  The FSRs can be brittle and I'd rather not have a barrel break at the tip or the chance of one being thrown off course.

Another thing I forgot to mention is an underbore is pretty much required to get the rifling to work to its full extent.  I know when I had my t9.1 I used a .684 Flasc unrifled barrel and it worked ok, but I believe UV Halo swears by his .683 and that is shown on the chart from Bryce.

#6 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

So the rifled barrel wouldn't hurt normal paint, but would help FS rounds.  That definitely helps the situation.  The one downside to a rifled barrel that I have not forgotten from when I had that old Armson is that if you break a ball in the barrel/breach, just walk off the field.  Because you need to fully rinse that paint out otherwise you'll never get 2 balls to hit within a foot of each other. 

I do have to agree with Cheevo on this one, if there's a chance that the bumper will hit I wouldn't want him to risk it.  FS rounds are too expensive for that risk.  I've only seen a few Apex's where the bumper is fully out of the way to where I would feel comfortable.

Cheevo, are you talking about an underbored rifled barrel or just an underbored barrel with the rifled FS rounds? 

What I've been considering telling him is to go with the backs in the link below.  That way hes got some underbore and he can just install it inline with the stock barrel.

http://milsigdirect....cs-set-683-686/

#7 henchman

henchman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:37 AM

I use a deadlywinds 8" with a 689 insert, and it works great.

#8 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

So the rifled barrel wouldn't hurt normal paint, but would help FS rounds.  That definitely helps the situation.  The one downside to a rifled barrel that I have not forgotten from when I had that old Armson is that if you break a ball in the barrel/breach, just walk off the field.  Because you need to fully rinse that paint out otherwise you'll never get 2 balls to hit within a foot of each other. 

I do have to agree with Cheevo on this one, if there's a chance that the bumper will hit I wouldn't want him to risk it.  FS rounds are too expensive for that risk.  I've only seen a few Apex's where the bumper is fully out of the way to where I would feel comfortable.

Cheevo, are you talking about an underbored rifled barrel or just an underbored barrel with the rifled FS rounds? 

What I've been considering telling him is to go with the backs in the link below.  That way hes got some underbore and he can just install it inline with the stock barrel.

The .683 rifled barrel is underbored, and the FS rounds themselves have rifling on the skirt.  But yes the barrel itself needs to be underbored AND rifled for full effect.

#9 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

Very true Gordon, however if I was shooting 40 cent rounds I wouldn't want the chance of one hitting the rubber of the apex ramp.  The FSRs can be brittle and I'd rather not have a barrel break at the tip or the chance of one being thrown off course.

Another thing I forgot to mention is an underbore is pretty much required to get the rifling to work to its full extent.  I know when I had my t9.1 I used a .684 Flasc unrifled barrel and it worked ok, but I believe UV Halo swears by his .683 and that is shown on the chart from Bryce.

The .683 rifled barrel is underbored, and the FS rounds themselves have rifling on the skirt.  But yes the barrel itself needs to be underbored AND rifled for full effect.

Actually no, I don't swear by the .683 rifled barrel.  I used one until Bryce and Cockerpunk found that the Hammerhead performed nearly as well (at the very least to within statistical noise), and without the complications of the barrel fouling/jamming/inconsistency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users