• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 America86

America86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

I just got into paintball and picked up a Project Salvo marker (mostly just because I like the milsim look to be honest).

I also picked up a Sly Annex MI-7 mask. It was the cheapest thermal lens mask I could find.

I was given a CO2 tank from a buddy, as well as bottom-barrel plastic gravity fed hopper.

I mostly want to know if the Annex is a good mask, if it's worth upgrading to the Profit, or if there is a better entry-level kind of thermal lens mask available that anybody would reccomend?

Also, I really only plan on playing recreational woodsball, so should I just stick with the CO2, or upgrade to one of the 3000/48 air tanks? Does it really make that much of a difference?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate any help.

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

Profits suck compared to every single high end mask IMO. Check out Profilers and Proflexs

#3 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

If you think its a good mask, its a good mask, masks are 100% preference. Definitely don't 'upgrade' to a 48/3000, on a Tippmann its a step in the total wrong direction, a 3000/48 has half the capacity of a 20oz C02 tank, and because the Tippmann operates at such a high pressure your gun will stop working below 800psi or so, meaning if you can get maybe 6 pods off your C02 tank you'll be lucky to get 3 off a 48/3000 tank. Theres really no benefit of HPA on a Tippmann, in my opinion if your gun works with C02 just use C02.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#4 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

My son loves his Proto Switch FS mask (the "FS" is critical as that ensures you the thermal mask) that I got him for $45. Doesn't fit me worth a damn. So, as has been said around here before, try a bunch of thermal masks on...one will feel perfect...buy that one and don't look at the price.

At the fields where I go, your entry comes with all day refills on air, or a single refill on CO2. That clinched it for me, I got 3000 psi aluminum tanks. I have also heard that the CO2 varies more radically with temperature. Oh and HPA tanks have cool gauges. If you do not run into any of these problems, then the CO2 will prolly work fine; if you do then step up to HPA.

Your marker will be a blast: looks right and sounds amazing! But if you are thinking about adding upgrades to it, you may be better served by thinking about a different marker. Something like an old Smart Parts SP-1 or new GOG G-1 look great but are really a modern electro in military garb (and you can loan your Salvo to newbies...and grow our sport!)

Welcome to TechPB!

EDIT: Oh crap, I did not know about the Tippmann operating pressure problem.

Edited by Brook, 21 April 2014 - 06:33 PM.

...um...I have another stupid question...

#5 America86

America86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

I really appreciate the input guys! Thank you very much

#6 illixus

illixus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

There isnt a best mask, I learned that the best mask is the mask that is most comfortable to wear and breath in. I use a Sly Pofit for a couple days of playing and I love how they fit me, but usually the best bang for your buck in masks will be the proflexes IMO. but others will say differently. and as a couple people have said, stick with CO2

#7 sorawiz23

sorawiz23

Apple butter off the chain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

it is all up to you. i like my Proto Axis pros but it is all you.
OH MY GOD THEY'VE GOT ION'S RUN!!!!!!!!

sweet freak barrel system used once!!!
http://www.techpb.co...d/#entry3316073

#8 Ranger

Ranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

CO2 is not the way, get an HPA!!! Much more reliable, work in the cold and work with a wider variety of markers. CO2 will freeze if you plan on playing winter ball and it is more expensive to manufacture than HPA which leads you to pay more in the long run. Refer to the following thread under the "Tanks" section: 

http://www.techpb.co...e-newbie-guide/

A.E.K.Δ.B.

#9 Cyk101

Cyk101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

CO2 is not the way, get an HPA!!! Much more reliable, work in the cold and work with a wider variety of markers. CO2 will freeze if you plan on playing winter ball and it is more expensive to manufacture than HPA which leads you to pay more in the long run. Refer to the following thread under the "Tanks" section: 

A 20 oz co2 tank is going to give you the same number of shots as a 68/4500 hpa tank. You shots won't be as consistent, which will affect you ability to " aim" but a 20 oz co2 tank is less than 30 dollars, a new 68/4500 is around 150. Just play paintball, if you decide down the road to get more into it, then sink more money in.
As for your mask, play in it, if it's comfortable it's fine, if you having problems with fogging or it doesn't protect you enough then look into something else.

#10 ScaryfatkidGT

ScaryfatkidGT

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

A 20 oz co2 tank is going to give you the same number of shots as a 68/4500 hpa tank. You shots won't be as consistent, which will affect you ability to " aim" but a 20 oz co2 tank is less than 30 dollars, a new 68/4500 is around 150. Just play paintball, if you decide down the road to get more into it, then sink more money in.
As for your mask, play in it, if it's comfortable it's fine, if you having problems with fogging or it doesn't protect you enough then look into something else.

As he is only playing rec woods ball I would say stick with Co2 for now, if you start going to any fields (which I think you should just to try) you can pretty much get "free air" as in just top off your tank before you leave, but a Co2 tank is a lot lighter than a HPA steelie so I would keep the Co2 and save up for a good loader and a 68/4500 HPA tank.

With that said you sort of got off on the wrong foot and sucked in to the tacticool mil-sim stuff but thats ok for now, just make sure you learn how to clean and take care of the thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)