9 replies to this topic

#1 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi all,

I'm getting back into paintball from many many years, and I'm stumped as to what upgrade path I should follow.  Of course if I had more money, I'd just get it all at once, but that isn't an option at the moment, just acquiring piece by piece as most of us do. 

My gearbag currently includes a stock Empire Mini GS, extreme rage overdrive sonic db loader, pure energy 68/3000 HPA tank, I4 mask, pod pack with pods, jersey and pants, knee pads, and gloves. 

My HPA tank will need to be re-hydrod in Feb next year, so I either keep it and rehydro or upgrade to a CF Ninja.  My extreme rage sound activated loader cut it on a $hitty Spyder, but I'm guessing it won't be able to keep up with my Mini if I really let the paint fly.  I'm planning on upgrading my HPA tank, get a Rotor, and a Disruptive death touch barrel, but am not sure the best order to do this as I'm probably going to do this over the next 1.5 years due to other priorities.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Edited by Ahunt01, 05 May 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#2 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

definitely upgrade your loader first. that seems to be the lowest point of your setup at the moment. next then i would recommend upgrading your tank. after that you should get a decent set of elbow pads. honestly the new barrel isnt worth it. theres nothing wrong with the stock mini barrel other than its a little short for some peoples liking. if you really want to upgrade it though, do it last.

#3 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

I hadn't thought of elbow pads. Probably worth doing. I learned that I need knee pads after the first day of play... I didn't play aggressively when I was younger, but I play totally more aggressively and wrecked my knees after my first day lol. No longer an issue with my dye pads.

#4 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

elbow pads are a life saver. they will save your arms when you're sliding and playing snake especially. you will also get a lot of bounces which are helpful

#5 Cyk101

Cyk101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

Uh what are you playing? Woodsball, recball, trying to get into tournaments? Does your field have a bps limit? I think that mostly determines the order of your upgrades.

#6 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

I'm playing probably 80% woodsball and the rest some form of speedball.  No, I wish I had the time and money for tournaments, but I really don't have the time at the moment.  In 3-4 years, maybe???  My fields aren't very strict as some walk-ons play PSP fine while others are going semi uncapped.  Not too formal oddly, but nothing crazy otherwise I'm sure they'd say something.  Half the time at the field it's not reefed... 

#7 Lyxtwing

Lyxtwing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:45 PM

Upgrade your loader first.  If you are thinking of a rotor, I would look into a used one as they tend to be built like tanks and can be had for $100 or so.  Some colours pop up for $150 new some times as well.  Also, a pinokio is a great deal at $100 new.

I take it the 68/3000 is still a CF tank?  I would just get it tested and stick will it for the time being.  If you find yourself running out of air, grab a 4500.  Some fields air barely makes it past the 3000 mark (I suspect this is due to rental tanks being 3000), so you may not really get your moneys worth.  Check with you local field to see what they fill to, but again, if you are not running out of air on the field it may not be worth upgrading.

As for a barrel, I would stick with stock.  If you are set on getting one, I would spend the extra couple bucks and grab a lurker barrel kit.  Nothing against the disruptive barrel, but to me it would be worth the extra $34 to have a kit.

Edited by Lyxtwing, 05 May 2014 - 10:45 PM.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

PM8 I Alias I Marq 6 I A4 Fly I E1 I eNMey I Hammer 7

#8 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:45 PM

Soft gear (to whatever makes you feel comfortable) then tank for me
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#9 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:06 AM

The tank is a steelie, not a cf.

#10 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

definitely upgrade your tank after you upgrade your hopper

Edited by smurfinator22, 06 May 2014 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users