28 replies to this topic

#1 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hi all,

First off, I know there is a ton of these threads already, but they're a bit old so I figured I'd revisit this.  I'll be in the market in a few months for a good loader, and I think I've narrowed it down to a Rotor or a Z2.  Originally I was sold on the Rotor for the simplicity, durability, and reliability.  I've read in a few forums that the Z2 is similar but doesn't have jamming issues, and that the Rotor is plagued with jamming issues.  Is this true?  Has this been corrected since the last few years?  Most of the complaints I've read about were in 2012  If it helps, I plan to pretty much play rec ball, so I won't be shooting any great paint.

Thanks!

#2 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Edit:

I just read that the Virtue Spire combines the best of both of these hoppers and fixes the bad parts.  Is this true????  I'm not a fan of the look of the Virtue Spire, but it sounds slick as hell.

#3 Lyxtwing

Lyxtwing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have two rotors and have yet to have a jam that wasn't user error.  Some may have had issues, but my rotors have held true for the last two years without any.  Of the three you ask about, any of them will do.  If you go rotor, used may be worth looking into as they are bullet proof and can be had for pretty darn cheap.  There is one local for $80 that I am tempted to pick up just because I have a hard time skipping out on a deal (black rotors in Canada are $225).

Edited by Lyxtwing, 23 May 2014 - 03:17 PM.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

PM8 I Alias I Marq 6 I A4 Fly I E1 I eNMey I Hammer 7

#4 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Rotors can jam with some paint. Its pretty much random but large or low grade paint and warm, humid weather are definitely factors. On average youre probably looking at a handful of jams on a really bad day. On average I would get one jam every day or every other day I played.

I despise the lid on the Z2. Unless you tape or glue down the speedfeeds (except for the HK Epic) they will fling open all the time. Also the tabs that hold the front nose piece on can wear out and it can fly off when you bring your gun up off the break.

The Spire is great but I had the button cover break on mine (which was promptly replaced by Virtue) and some friends have needed replacement paddles from Virtue. Make sure you use GOOD batteries for the Spire (Energizer or Duracell lithium are best) and you wont have any issues. The 260 has amazing capacity and is the same size as a Rotor. Still lighter (without paint) as well if I remember right.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 23 May 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#5 r45vt

r45vt

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Rotors can jam with some paint. Its pretty much random but large or low grade paint and warm, humid weather are definitely factors. On average youre probably looking at a handful of jams on a really bad day. On average I would get one jam every day or every other day I played.

I despise the lid on the Z2. Unless you tape or glue down the speedfeeds (except for the HK Epic) they will fling open all the time. Also the tabs that hold the front nose piece on can wear out and it can fly off when you bring your gun up off the break.

The Spire is great but I had the button cover break on mine (which was promptly replaced by Virtue) and some friends have needed replacement paddles from Virtue. Make sure you use GOOD batteries for the Spire (Energizer or Duracell lithium are best) and you wont have any issues. The 260 has amazing capacity and is the same size as a Rotor. Still lighter (without paint) as well if I remember right.

Rotors are durable as hell and are good loaders.  Just so we don't go into the fan boi's saying I've shot 2 cases through mine and it hasn't jammed lets clarify this.  Bad paint will cause a jam in a rotor.  Not cheap paint.  Bad paint.  (Bad paint as in squishy, swollen, etc).

The difference?  The Z2 has the auto unjam and will adjust before you even know.  The spire has a slick system, bar having defective parts they are amazing.  Can they jam from bad paint too?  Sure.  They just aren't as sensitive as the rotor.

That being said some people never have problems with their rotors.  Has to do with improperly stored paint / environment.  Cheap paint does go bad faster than good high quality paint for the most part.

Z2 is more complicated than the others, and if you tore it down and tried to put it together in a hurry you could make a mistake leading to a jam.  It has the worst battery life of all 3 loaders mentioned here.  Normally just the nose cone needs to come off for cleaning.  The lid is magnetic.  Best speed feed is the HK one.  It has magnets and clip.  It won't fly open on you.

Happy hunting.  All 3 are great.  

#6 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Do you have any sort of proof that only "bad" paint is the causr if jams? Why then, did last year my friend and I have serious jamming issues with a case of fresh Marballizer. It was FAR from a bad batch as well.

#7 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

Buy rotor, call it a day
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#8 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

I've heard a lot about rotors jamming with good paint in tournaments. It doesn't sound like it's often, but it cost some teams a game. Not that this is a concern for me, that's not the kind of paintball I play. Still, if I plan on spending over $100 for a loader, I want the best and don't want to deal with it not working. That's why I'm second guessing the rotor now that I learned about jams.

Edited by Ahunt01, 23 May 2014 - 09:52 PM.

#9 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

For the money I would also still say a used Rotor is your best bet. New theyre overpriced unless you find one on sale for $100 and theyre basically indestructible. If you were playing tourneys Id recommend the Spire.

#10 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

Unless you are playing d2 or better jamming isn't even a big deal.

Like holy shit nit pick over the smallest things, if a jam is that bad grab a pod save as much paint as possible, split and dump it all out, reassemble and get back into the game.

If you want to nit pick over small things like jamming just buy an Empire magna and be done
gnUDL.png

#11 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:28 AM

Shouldn't you not pick if your considering paying over $100 for something? I don't think it's not picking over a possible jamming issue. That's part of why I use an electro hopper, so my shit DOESN'T jam. I only raised the question about jamming because I didn't know how serious it was or how frequent it happened, hence my questions. I have no problem disclosing that I'm getting back into paintball after taking a 15 year break. I've only seen a rotor and all of these electronic paintball products twice in my life bro...

Seriously though, yes the durability of the rotor was what I liked about it before. I think I'll just go that route since it doesn't sound like the jamming is a wide spread thing. Probably most of the anti-rotor folks who hate them for their jamming probably lost a game or something due to an isolated hicup, which isn't really applicable to me playing rec ball.

Thanks again everyone for your insight!

#12 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:55 AM

Unless you are playing d2 or better jamming isn't even a big deal.

Like holy shit nit pick over the smallest things, if a jam is that bad grab a pod save as much paint as possible, split and dump it all out, reassemble and get back into the game.

If you want to nit pick over small things like jamming just buy an Empire magna and be done

Yeah, youre right. Only D2 players actually need to shoot thier guns duromg a match.

And jams are not "nit picking". You shouldnt even have to rip open your $100+ loader during a match. IIRC you play tourneys so you must know what can happen in just a few seconds of having your head down.

#13 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Zero times have I had the rotor jam at all while in an actual playing situation. (with the 3 Rotors I've been through)

Worst comes to worst, 3 words: low profile rotor

But hey if you want to buy a z2 and fun cleaning it when someone shoots you through the speed feed, do it. I ain't got time to deal with cleaning a z2 and the plethora of issues of trying to cram every single fucking piece properly.

Not to mention how many times we've seen nose cones flying off z2s because they've been improperly secured, speaking of ripping loaders in half while playing.

Edited by get.lit.up!, 24 May 2014 - 12:00 PM.

gnUDL.png

#14 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

So... because you havent had a jam while playing its a non-issue for others? You talk like having ti hold a pod on top on your loader during a game is not an issue either. Which implies that doing so would actually FIX a jam. Ive seen some people have to take the entire "rotor" arm assembly out ti fix a jam before.

#15 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

No I've seen some jams before, heck even saw a guy tossing the damn thing cross field as a result.

And I've never had a jam in game so I've never had to low profile a rotor or dump paint.

But if you wanna buy a z2 go ahead. Like I've heard different folks different strokes
gnUDL.png

#16 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

I'm honestly not leaning towards any particular loader more than another. What I like about the Rotor was the simplicity and durability, and what I like about the Z2 is the anti jam. What I don't like about the rotor is the reports if frequent jams and what I don't like about the Z2 is the tear down.

I'm not poor by any means, but I'm older and I don't want to deal with problems, I just want to have fun playing. That's why I'm kinda stuck as to the best route that will leave me satisfied for years to come and not regret my decision. I guess that's why I tossed the Spire into the mix as it is advertised as having all the pros of the two and none of the weaknesses.

But yeah I don't know if I want to pay that much for a loader. Like you said burningplaydoh, it's probably overkill for rec ball. I'm guessing jamming aside, the durability of the rotor probably to me offsets the random jam. One jam a day is no concern for me, I'm not that hardcore.

With that said, I really don't want the hassle of getting a used loader. I'd rather just go new, buying used stuff always makes me nervous.

#17 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for all your help guys and honest opinions! This is why I love TechPB :)

#18 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

The durability of the Rotor is the thing that makes buying used such a grear deal. You can find them like new sub-$100

#19 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

Rotor is the best option backup or starter it does both. Z2s suck, well at least for me cause I had a ton of problems with mine. I haven't really used a spire
109.gif

#20 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Good point. Guess I'll keep my eyes peeled locally. 👍

#21 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

Rotors are so durable it's pretty safe to buy used if you turn it on and it spins. All 3 of mine were used
gnUDL.png

#22 skd1050

skd1050

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

The Rotor is the safest bet because if you clean it well it shouldn't jam badly, it is SO easy to take it part compared to the Z2, the final thing is the Rotor does have the jam fin bar thing that really does help. Do buy the Rotor new my brother bought one used and it took a little while to get it working really well. 

#23 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

If you feel confident that you can figure out basic mechanical things, the Z2 is by far the best option. I got my Prophecy used from someone who thought it was broken for dirt cheap (it kept jamming on him), and it turned out he had assembled it wrong letting something be a bit out of place and causing jams. 30 seconds and I fixed it, and it was LNIB. I had problems with the original Empire speedfeed that had the magnets exposed, but the newer on that has rubber covering the magnets has been problem free. It's lighter than the rotor, feeds faster than the rotor, and doesn't jam like the rotor. My teammate had a Rotor and kept trying to justify it to me, and after too many jams he just gave it up and bought a spire, which from what I've seen is another good choice. If you don't feel that you are competent enough to own a Z2, then go for the spire. Also, when the Rotor jams, it's usually a ball that got stuck between the two rotors, and if it was soft enough when it got wedged in there, your unjam trigger will jam too, making it impossible to fix without taking it apart. I would never want to be caught with my pants down on the field, and to say that worrying about jams is "nit-picking" is just silly.

Basically, the problems with the Rotor are oftentimes outside your control. You shoot the paint the store has for sale, and if you're playing a tournament in hot humid weather, your paint may not still be perfect by the end of the day. Sometimes you just can't control what paint you shoot. However you will ALWAYS control the abuse your hopper deals with. You are the one who would be responsible for overtightening the feedneck. You are the one who would be responsible for cleaning it and assembling it together properly. That's why I choose the Z2. All the big scary situations of "Oh noe! I put it together wrong!" are completely under your control. You just have to be competent. With the Rotor, you can do everything possible and still have a bad day.

Posted Image

#24 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

The z2 is not by far the better option. As someone who bought both at the same time and ended up using the rotor more (now permanently) even though the z2 was my starter is suggest against it. I sent my z2 back 5 times, one of those times because it caught fire
109.gif

#25 Ahunt01

Ahunt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Yeah I saw a video of the breakdown of a Z2, crazy! With that said, I have to be honest, my crappy old and used extreme rage sound activated hopper kept up with shooting 15 bps full auto yesterday...

#26 jhm99

jhm99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

How is this even a question?  The spire out preforms both loaders in every possible category.

#27 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

How is this even a question?  The spire out preforms both loaders in every possible category.

Id love to hear you actually justify this with facts. How does it objectively outperform them in "every category"?

#28 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Proof he is wrong, speed.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#29 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Try out performing the rotor on battery life.
gnUDL.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users