• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Joshgbosh

Joshgbosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

I'm looking at two guns. The tippmann crossover xvr. And the proto reflex rail. I really like how the tippmann has a mechanical selection. But I also think that the proto shoots good. What do you guys think?

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

The XVR eats batteries so I guess its good that it has a mech mode... The Reflex is basically a Rail with some nicer external parts and a noid that allows faster rates of fire, which is pretty pointless TBH. A lot of people do like the UL frame though. I would always pick a used DM over one though, a lot more bang fot your buck.

If it were me Id take an Etek, Axe or Drone over either if these but it depends on what youre looking for.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 26 May 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#3 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

I like the way the original Crossover feels when compared to an Etek or Axe.  It's a slight bit louder than an Axe but feels smoother to me.  The Drone is nice, I just didn't like the trigger - and that's saying something coming from the Crossover trigger.  The Reflex Rail feels comfortable in your grip, but otherwise is pretty much rubbish.  It's the one mid-range marker I explicitly steer people away from.

Unless you really like the mechanical option like me, it's tough to say if the Crossover would be the right choice.  The Axe is softer on paint and more customizable; The Etek is more efficient though loud as a horn; The Drone already fits the niche of higher efficiency soft shooting spool.  And there are a lot of really good used high ends that pop up in the "under $400" category.  My favorite being the Clones and Droids, but also DMs/PMs, Egos, Quest, Rev-i, Shockers, etc.  That is so many good choices which basically only have the flaw of older board and no mechanical feature.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#4 Joshgbosh

Joshgbosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

See I used the xvr and only the xvr. But I was in the place where the batterie died so I used the mech mode and was still able to play. I heard that both of the crossovers shoot the same. So how does the axe shoot comparably? Feel-wise. And accurately.

#5 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Accuracy is going to be the same no matter which marker you choose.  It is dependent on cleanliness and paint quality and cannot be improved by the pneumatic action of a paintball marker alone.

Hmm, the Axe has a trigger that I just love, and it's fairly smooth - but I felt just a bit of shake or vibration in my hands that I didn't feel with the Crossover.  The Crossover is hard to tell it's shooting other than you see the paint fly out of the barrel and hear the sound.  For me, the difference is that I played an entire day on Saturday without a battery, had no chops, and am getting dangerously close to hitting 15bps on just mechanical mode.  It's a thrill to me when showing someone I can't be ramping because the marker won't even turn on.

I wouldn't be unhappy with an Axe, I just happen to own the Crossover.  I think most players would feel the same with the exception of some tourney players have told me the Crossover can be sluggish to get into PSP ramping unless you single finger it instead of fluttering.  Since I only ever play semi-auto at my fields, it's not an issue for me.

EDIT TO ADD: It is my understanding that TMG Effect put virtue boards into their crossovers and XVRs to both fix the ramping issue and to improve battery life (and also to meet NPPL tournament requirements).  Personally, I cannot leave a battery in the marker for more than a few days without it draining out even if I leave the marker switched off the whole time.  Again, since I can play mech all day in the woods, it's a non-issue for me.

Edited by unfated33, 27 May 2014 - 07:37 AM.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#6 Joshgbosh

Joshgbosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

So just looking at the virtue board crossovers. Where can I get one? Or is it better to do it myself?

#7 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

So just looking at the virtue board crossovers. Where can I get one? Or is it better to do it myself?

The Virtue board is an aftermarket upgrade.  To my knowledge there aren't any markers sold new with Virtue boards already installed.

#8 Jaxliam1921

Jaxliam1921

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

So I have experience with both markers. The reflex is more comfterable by a long shot. It's board doesn't have as many options as the cvs but it's 10 times easier to program. The shot on the reflex is softer and it doesn't have as much kick. On the other hand the cave was a pain to program. But you could by different sized backs from tippmann for around 90$ I think. Also then very comes with killer customer service and is more durable. Also it doesn't eat up as much air. So basically if your looking for preform acne go with the reflex if it's durability your looking for go for the xvr

#9 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

Durability is the same with both, don't buy into the whole tippmann durability thing. It's all the same, given that they're made from the same materials.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#10 Frogman

Frogman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

Reflex rail any day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users