Photo

Future Field Owner (Please give advice and knowledge)

paintball field Owner advice tips

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sall

sall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Reason why I wanted to build a paintball facility is to create an experience that brings joy until the next on coming weekend with good food, entertainment and tournaments. I just need to have everything planned before I commit into a plan of action. 

1. Where are most of the competitive players?

2. Best state to build a paintball facility

3. Advice when setting up a paintball field (speedball)

4. Recommended Companies for: Turf, Netting, Bunkers and Air Compression stations

Anything I missed above please include in your response.

Thank you for your time!

I did post this to pbn, just gathering perspectives.

GA Balla ;p

#2 Yankee Paintball

Yankee Paintball

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

Check out the Field Owners forum on PBN. Read the stickies a lot before you post any questions. We'll answer specific questions but we're not going to do all the work for you. In general if you want to make money stay away from speedball.

Connecticut's woodsball field! Bookmark www.yankeepaintball.com Closed for the winter, reopening April 7th, 2012.
Authorized Dealer for CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE,APP and Procaps.
Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email.

"That blew so hard all my old Nintendo games started working again."~Dstyles75

#3 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

Check out the Field Owners forum on PBN. Read the stickies a lot before you post any questions. We'll answer specific questions but we're not going to do all the work for you. In general if you want to make money stay away from speedball.

I was going to jump in with a comment that was very pithy, but this was great advice.  I've still got one foot in the camp of people that believe .50 cal speedball can make money.  The biggest obstacle there is light, reliable .50 cal markers.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#4 Yankee Paintball

Yankee Paintball

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

I'm waiting for a reliable .50 Cal rental marker. I have high hopes for the Tippmann FT50. The market is there if you play it right. 

Connecticut's woodsball field! Bookmark www.yankeepaintball.com Closed for the winter, reopening April 7th, 2012.
Authorized Dealer for CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE,APP and Procaps.

#5 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

In general if you want to make money stay away from speedball.

I'd be interested in an expanded explanation.  I know a couple of big scenerios is needed by some fields to survive.

#6 Yankee Paintball

Yankee Paintball

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'll speak in generalities,  anything can work in a specific situation.  In general speedball players want high cost services including new bunker sets every year, low cost but quality paint, turf etc....  All these things cost money to obtain and maintain. Again generally,  you need a higher ref to player ratio and there is often a demand for a team discount.  With the already low margins in paintball and the competition from online stores it can be very difficult to make an acceptable profit. 

In general parties and the occasional (3-5 times a year) players are more profitable per player and less of a headache to the staff and management. Like I said I'm speaking in generalities,  in another situation speedball may be the best business plan. In my case it isn't. 

#7 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

I hadn't thought about the staff-intensiveness of speedball vs woodsball. That makes a lot of sense.

#8 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

And it's not so much that you need more refs for speedball, though generally you'll have 2-3 on the field, but that you're capped on the number of players per side.  Usually no more than 14 and often just 10 (7v7 or 5v5).  Whereas it's not unheard of for my local woodsball field to have 30v30 with just 3 refs.  This generally does require more responsible players to play honestly about getting hit (which is often the case) as well as keeping their markers below the field limit for the whole day (which is often not the case). 

#9 Yankee Paintball

Yankee Paintball

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Your insurance will dictate the minimum ratio they want for refs/players.  Setting up and cleaning/breaking down a speedball field is a very time consuming process. Even if you just leave it on the field it still should be cleaned up and we had lots of critters that really enjoyed chewing holes in them. Apparently Valken Graffiti tastes like chocolate. 

Edit- Unfated, you out should check out Horizon /Reiner Schafer's blog and posts on the various forums. I modeled my business philosophy off of his and feel like we give a good recreational experience to our customers.  http://reiner-schafe...ogspot.com/?m=1

Edited by Yankee Paintball, 04 July 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#10 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Yeah, I understand about the insurance limits for minimum players (though I'm not quite sure what they are exactly), but I meant more that speedball has a soft cap on the maximum numbers that can play effectively, and this tends to be lower than the number of players you can get into the woods.  I didn't even think about setup/teardown and cleanup for a speedball field.  I watched a pair of refs do that at the end of the day on one field and did not envy them for the amount of work it took to do.

I've run across Horizon a few times on PBNation, but had no idea about his blog.  That was a great read - thank you!  His personality seems very in tune with mine.  Of course, the more I peel back the layers on what it would take to run a field or store, the more I feel like its not the right time for me to take on that kind of challenge.  I'd love to give it a go, but the capital and personal investment of hours is quite a mountain.  I have a lot of respect for you and all that do it.

#11 Yankee Paintball

Yankee Paintball

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

If you have any questions hit me up in a pm. I talked with TagRoland from California Before I made The decision to open a field.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paintball field, Owner, advice, tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users