• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 biev10

biev10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

I recently played paintball with my friends and borrowed a friends marker to play (It was a Tippmann A5). I really enjoyed it and I am contemplating what entry level marker to get since it will be my first gun. I am looking at getting a project salvo. If you know of any good markers let me know. I am looking for a milsim type marker since we generally play woods ball, plus I enjoy the look of the guns better than the speed ball guns. Leave your suggestions and please try to keep it under $250.

#2 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

So I'd like to let you know, despite how cool they may look initially, experienced paintballers know that milsimish markers and the like are very bulky and large, and not suitable for playing paintball, at least very well. Youre going to find yourself always at a disadvantage with milsim guns. To start, I would recommend not looking at a marker completely, and instead looking into a high end mask. High end masks are a necessity for playing paintball, as it is the ONE thing you absolutely need to play the sport.

Go look and try on all the masks at your local store, and don't look at the prices. Dont go for looks, go for comfort, both feel wise and protection wise. Look for something with thermal lenses. Then buy it. If it's a Vio that's high end at 100+, then get that. If it's a Grill at around 80, gget that. Get whatever feels best to you.

As for markers, I'd say to start off look at gog markers. They make the best under 250 markers out there. The enmey is especially one of the most widely accepted best beginner marker to get. It is very smooth shooting, very quiet, pretty efficient, easy to use, lightweight and durable, and cheap. And it comes in colors if you so please to stray away from black.

Now when you look at markers, here are things to avoid listening to when the manufacturer or store owner or even peer players say: accuracy claims and durability/reliability claims. All of that is 99% bullshit, as in mostly bullshit. All markers, all barrels, all types of markers have the exact same accuracy. Accuracy comes in paint quality. Reliability is all the same, because as long as you maintain your marker (very, very easy, especially with the enmey), it's reliable. Durability is the same.
No difference between woodsball markers and speedball markers either.
There's small light fast markers and large bulky heavy slow markers.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#3 biev10

biev10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

Thank you for your helpful advice I am currently looking into that marker. Also on the topic of the mask I already own a Vforce pro-vantage and I like the feel of that mask. Also any good starter air tanks or co2 tanks you could recommend since I do not have one yet, and do you know of any good pod belts or holders for in the field. 

#4 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

pro vantages are okay masks, but i highly recommend getting a high end mask. it'll make a huge difference on the field.
also for air tanks, go ninja 

#5 biev10

biev10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

I was looking at ninjas but they do not fit my budget, I am trying to have a set up for under $250. Should i just go co2 for a little bit and save my money or look for a tank on ebay or something. Also what would be a good hopper other than a gravity fed to start out with?

#6 tcheekdye

tcheekdye

Bitch im just bustin at em

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Well if you like your mask then don't worry about it. If you don't mind it go used. Buy a ninja tank for about 90, get a rotor for around 80, and then get the sp1. If you want to play milsim then go for it, its a lot of fun.

giphy.gifTECH PB HEAVY METAL FAN CLUB  http://www.techpb.co...metal-fan-club/

#7 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

If it were me, for $250 I'd look for someone on eBay, Craigslist or one of the forums who was quitting the game and looking to sell a full setup based on a decent late model low/mid-range marker for one price. Invert Mini, Proto Rail or PMR, one of the Gog guns, with a Halo Too or Reloader...something like that. If you're not comfortable buying used, a Gog eNMEy or Smart Parts SP1 with a Proto Primo loader and a 48/3000 steelie would be a lot of fun and fine for woodsball.

#8 ClayCallison

ClayCallison

Vatican Assassin Worlock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

A project salvo is literally a spyder victor with an m4 shell on it.  If I were you , I would go on Craigslist and try to find an Ion XE.  They didn't actually make many of those but if you can find one, it's the exact same gun as the GOG eXTCy and you can get it for much cheaper.  If you can get one with a blackheart board in it, that's icing on the cake.  As for a loader, whoever sells you the gun will most likely have a halo or reloader b which is fine for woodsball.  Don't get a rotor because 1) it is not necessary for woodsball, 2) it's expensive as hell, and 3) it doesn't hold a whole lot and in the woods you don't want to reload every five seconds.  As for the tank, go with a 48/3000 aluminum until you can afford something lighter.  There's no snake to dive into in the woods so having a cf tank isn't crucial.  As with the loader, the seller of the marker will most likely have one.  You should be able to get all of that for $150 if they ask for more they better have a rotor, cf tank, or a virtue oled board in the Ion XE.  That should leave you plenty of budget to get yourself some knee pads and a good mask!  Both are 100% must haves!

If you're under 18 and pay for your own stuff, put this in your signature.

#9 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

The Salvo is not a spyder internally, it uses the same blowback system as every other blowback tippmann.

Used Rotors arent a whole lot more expensive than new mid-range loaders and its not like they hold any less paint than others loaders except for high-caps. Also, its not like its any more harmful to reload in the woods. People use all kinds of loaders in all kinds of paintball and have success.

A used CF tank is a MUCH better value and performer than an aluminum one. Im not sure where you got the idea that playing snake or speedball in general would change the benefits of a CF tank. It is highly beneficial to have a lighter setup in the woods too since youre lugging it around for so long.

#10 The Rec-Baller 217

The Rec-Baller 217

GET SOME PAINT IN THE AIR!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Rotor holds about ..... 185 to 195, give or take....195 divided by 5 seconds equals 39 (i think) So unless your shooting 39 balls a second then you shouldn't run out off paint too quickly, 

rotors can be picked up used for 90 to 110 dollars, you might even be able to find a deal online where some one is selling a complete set up in your price range that comes with marker, tank, and loader. 

And i think having anything lighter would be better so yes if your able to get a CF tank then do so. 

#11 Frogman

Frogman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

Tippman 98 FTW

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users