• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Four_Feather1

Four_Feather1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

So i'm just starting to get into paintball but I don't plan on joining a team or playing competitively. I'm looking for a reliable gun around $350 that i can use for woodsball and occasionally speedball. Im a big guy (6'5") so the mini probably isn't the gun for me. I have look at a few guns, the Etha and the Proto Rail MaXXed, but i want to know what you guys think. Do you recommend either of the two or would you get something different? 

I don't want a used gun. (i'm looking at you axe...)

#2 mr34727

mr34727

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

I recommend going to hold a few at a shop- I recently helped a friend into the sport. While I love my Etek, he liked the way Dye guns felt in his hands better so he went with the PMR Maxxed. 

When you say woodsball- are you just referring to playing some rec with friends in the woods, or do you want the shoulder stock, milsim look, etc?

#3 Four_Feather1

Four_Feather1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

I recommend going to hold a few at a shop- I recently helped a friend into the sport. While I love my Etek, he liked the way Dye guns felt in his hands better so he went with the PMR Maxxed. 

When you say woodsball- are you just referring to playing some rec with friends in the woods, or do you want the shoulder stock, milsim look, etc?

the closest shop is a couple hours away so im not gonna be able to hold anything. im not looking for the milsim look, just something thats gonna work for woodsball with friends and some events like living legends at cpx (im a couple hours away from joliet.)

#4 Lyxtwing

Lyxtwing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

GoG eXTCy for $200 is one of the best bang for the buck markers out there right now.  That gives you $150 left over for paint and/or other things you may need (better mask, HPA tank, ext).

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

PM8 I Alias I Marq 6 I A4 Fly I E1 I eNMey I Hammer 7

#5 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:29 AM

I would recommend the Tippmann Crossover.  It's much more efficient than the eXTCy, Etha, or Rail Maxxed, though it's on the larger size like an axe it won't feel too big in your hands, and it's perfect for alternating between rec ball (in mech mode) and speedball/scenarios (in electro mode).  It's also has internal hoselines, so no rubbing up against that steel-braided hoseline like on the eXTCy or Rail Maxxed.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#6 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

If I were just starting out, I'd look very seriously at the Gog eNMEy. Yeah, it's a mech. It's reasonably fast, but no, it won't shoot as fast as any of the electros people are recommending. But it's cheap, it's dependable, it's waterproof, it's light, and it doesn't come with any of the headaches that come along with batteries, motors, boards, solenoids, eyes, and the like. If you eventually move on to electros or pumps or whatever, it will make a great backup or loaner, and if you want to sell it, you'll get most if not all of your money back. The other great thing about mechs is that when the open/electro turnout at your field sucks, you can usually play with the renters and walkons with no drama.

Edited by Old Dude PB, 13 July 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#7 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

If I were just starting out, I'd look very seriously at the Gog eNMEy. Yeah, it's a mech. It's reasonably fast, but no, it won't shoot as fast as any of the electros people are recommending. But it's cheap, it's dependable, it's waterproof, it's light, and it doesn't come with any of the headaches that come along with batteries, motors, boards, solenoids, eyes, and the like. If you eventually move on to electros or pumps or whatever, it will make a great backup or loaner, and if you want to sell it, you'll get most if not all of your money back. The other great thing about mechs is that when the open/electro turnout at your field sucks, you can usually play with the renters and walkons with no drama.

Seconded

gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#8 kknieriem8

kknieriem8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

Ive have a etna and they are amazing and very reliable and feel good in the hands even if you are a big guy (I'm 6'3)

this may just be my bad experience but i had a proto rail and every time i played something broke!

yes i also agree you should take a look at the got eNMEy it looks like a very reliable marker

#9 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

First things first, you NEED a good mask. Go to the shop, try on ALL the masks, don't even looks at the price tag. Buy whichever one feels and fits best.

Next, go out and buy a decent tank. For your height, I would say get a 77/4500 carbon fiber tank. I personally like ninja best, but most carbon fiber tanks will suit their purpose just fine

Then get a hopper. I recommend a "superloader", so you will not have to upgrade later. Even though the z2 is cheaper, there is a reason. IMHO it is a joke. It is flimsy. I even saw a video where the entire nosecone just flew right off, off the break. I prefer the spire, but the spire, rotor, pinokio, and pinokio speed will all be great loaders.

Then take whatever you have left, and invest in a marker. If you have nothing left, that's okay because a tippman 98 with a spire, ninja 77/4500, and a great mask will be MUCH better and more enjoyable to use than a luxe with a gravity fed, co2, and a rental mask.
My Setup- 2k11 G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#10 Jeep4Life

Jeep4Life

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

I personally recommend the Tippmann Crossover. Is a good size for someone your stature. Its been a durable marker for me, mostly playing woods ball. The mech mode is great for slowing things down, honestly I've used it as a mech more than anything. They are easy to maintain and take apart, if you have to. With mine I use a Halo Too loader, works well and keeps up with now issue, and can be had for $40 used in most cases. As far as good barrels to pair with it I now use a J&J Edge kit, price varies, though a one piece J&J ceramic, $30-$40, will do quite well. But I also stand behind the stock barrel too, if you're not interested in getting a barrel at this point. Another good option is the Deadly Wind Null, $60 new. Second the suggestion on ninja products when going for your air supply, go with either a 68ci or 77ci as mentioned above. And yes, do get a good, quality mask, its not a good area to cheap out on.

If you get a Crossover you will not be disappointed.

#11 ClayCallison

ClayCallison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

First things first, you NEED a good mask. Go to the shop, try on ALL the masks, don't even looks at the price tag. Buy whichever one feels and fits best.

Next, go out and buy a decent tank. For your height, I would say get a 77/4500 carbon fiber tank. I personally like ninja best, but most carbon fiber tanks will suit their purpose just fine

Then get a hopper. I recommend a "superloader", so you will not have to upgrade later. Even though the z2 is cheaper, there is a reason. IMHO it is a joke. It is flimsy. I even saw a video where the entire nosecone just flew right off, off the break. I prefer the spire, but the spire, rotor, pinokio, and pinokio speed will all be great loaders.

Then take whatever you have left, and invest in a marker. If you have nothing left, that's okay because a tippman 98 with a spire, ninja 77/4500, and a great mask will be MUCH better and more enjoyable to use than a luxe with a gravity fed, co2, and a rental mask.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  A gun I would highly recommend is the azodin blitz evo.  It's basically the poppet equivalent of the gog eXTCy.  The original blitz had some issues with the board but the evo has an updated one that fixed all of the problems.  It's quite loud so maybe not perfect for woodsball but it is really efficient on air so when you are playing scenario games a 68/4500 will last you a long time.  Also it comes in really sexy colors and look super badass compared to the eXTCy because if it's metal body and milling.  It is also cocker threaded and comes with a really good barrel for a gun in its price range.  It is under $200 and will leave you with money for gear.

If you're under 18 and pay for your own stuff, put this in your signature.

#12 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

I would recommend not a STBB and go to a extcy or an enmey

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#13 Four_Feather1

Four_Feather1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

I already bought a mask, an e-flex. im happy with it. i also bought a valken pod pack. i am currently saving more money for a used rotor (is that a good idea?) and a tank. Just trying to get some ideas. im still leaning towards the etha though. i have probably watch and read 24 hours worth of various paintball advice, mechanics, gun reviews, etc and have gained so much more knowledge about the sport. im going out next weekend again to the field and planned on getting some more advice from the guys there.  

#14 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:29 AM

Not to discredit any people locally to you or me, but personally I take in whatever advice people at my fields give me in little regard, and recommend you'd do the same. Or at least come back to the internet where the knowledge has been constantly peer reviewed and confirmed or disproven so you get your facts straight.

#15 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

Not to discredit any people locally to you or me, but personally I take in whatever advice people at my fields give me in little regard, and recommend you'd do the same. Or at least come back to the internet where the knowledge has been constantly peer reviewed and confirmed or disproven so you get your facts straight.

Here's what's great about walking up to a guy at your local field and asking about his marker (or whatever.) #1: He has experience with the gear. I'd love to know the percentage of opinions posted on this forum that are based on exactly zero playing experience with a particular piece of equipment. Half the time, I wonder if they've ever even held the item in question. #2: You know that he actually plays paintball. Again, how many people giving internet paintball advice don't actually play (much) paintball? I bet it's more than you think. Also, you probably have some idea about what kind of a player he is. That's relevant. #3: You can tell how old he is. Not to downgrade the youth here or anywhere, but I take advice from a grownup with a full time job more seriously than advice from a kid spending his folks' money. An adult's free time and disposable income are more valuable to him, so his decisions will be informed accordingly. Also, the older he is, the more experience he'll likely have with other products in the same category. I'm an old guy, so yeah, I'm biased. #4: There's a better than decent chance that the guy at the field will say "You want to try it out next game?" Ten minutes spent playing with a particular piece of gear is worth 100 posts on a forum.

I realize it's ironic for a guy on an internet forum to be arguing against the relative value of advice from guys on internet forums, but paintball happens in the real world, not the internet. Consider any advice accordingly.

Edited by Old Dude PB, 14 July 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#16 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

I laughed

#17 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, this thread even disproves itself.  It's like some kind of paradox where information and disinformation collide, sometimes in the very same comments.

So, uh - original poster what'd you like about the Etha?  It's kind of like a higher-end Rail/eXTCy but with worse vibration and better components.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#18 J3R3MY

J3R3MY

I know nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Here's what's great about walking up to a guy at your local field and asking about his marker (or whatever.) #1: He has experience with the gear. I'd love to know the percentage of opinions posted on this forum that are based on exactly zero playing experience with a particular piece of equipment. Half the time, I wonder if they've ever even held the item in question. #2: You know that he actually plays paintball. Again, how many people giving internet paintball advice don't actually play (much) paintball? I bet it's more than you think. Also, you probably have some idea about what kind of a player he is. That's relevant. #3: You can tell how old he is. Not to downgrade the youth here or anywhere, but I take advice from a grownup with a full time job more seriously than advice from a kid spending his folks' money. An adult's free time and disposable income are more valuable to him, so his decisions will be informed accordingly. Also, the older he is, the more experience he'll likely have with other products in the same category. I'm an old guy, so yeah, I'm biased. #4: There's a better than decent chance that the guy at the field will say "You want to try it out next game?" Ten minutes spent playing with a particular piece of gear is worth 100 posts on a forum.

I realize it's ironic for a guy on an internet forum to be arguing against the relative value of advice from guys on internet forums, but paintball happens in the real world, not the internet. Consider any advice accordingly.

+1 on this...

but even the guy at the field might not know as much as he/ claims... best to ask everybody, trust nobody implicitly, and evaluate what seems legit and what doesn't... whenever possible try before you buy, but if you cant(which happens all too often) then asking as many different people as you have access to is your best route...

etha, rail maxxed, extcy are all viable options, but the maxxed i think is your best bet imo... extcy if you want to save some cash.

#19 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

To be fair, at least it gets criticized by people quite openly on the internet. Plus theres a larger network of people to claim bullshit and to question bullshit. At my field, people come from all over the state because it's one of the better places to go to in Arizona. Most of what I hear sitting at the staging area is some kid thinking about what marker to get for his birthday, talking with his friend about it. Some guy a table down is saying stuff like don't get a Dye, they're overpriced and they always break down. Guy at the table across him says "oh really" and the other guy goes into a lengthy discussion about how he heard or he had a friend who's DM9 kept on going down on him so never trust a dye. The kid listens, and no one there is questioning that guy (unless I decide to), and that shit spreads like wildfire. Another guy on the other table says that he agrees, cause fuck it, why not? and goes on about how to only get eclipse. The owner is friends with eclipse, and has convinced everyone Planet Eclipse markers are THE only way to go. A kid hearing this from an owner is going to hold onto that information with him.

Another example. I take a friend out to the field all the time. He's only played 3 or so times, but is always eager to play with me. He seems to love playing with my KP2 pump, and keeps telling me his parents are going to get him one for his birthday. I tell him about the used market, blah blah blah..., and then he gets to asking why pump people are so good. This is all during the walk to one of the fields mind you, so one of the pump players jumps in saying that their markers are more accurate than my axe. Another guy jumps in by saying that it's because it's a closed bolt marker, and then goes along telling him about how true that is. Some guy with his cocker jumps in, telling us that that's what makes the autococker so great, about how it's semi auto and closed bolt. This happens on multiple occasions throughout the day, maybe at the waiting area, maybe walking towards the field, maybe when we're taking a few pot shots at a pole only to complain that our marker sucks when we miss. And no one questions it, because the experienced guys are the one spewing this stuff to newbies.

I remember at the end of the day, I tried explaining to him how I said marker doesn't matter, and I started to recommend some pumps that he could look at. But he refused to listen to me, saying how one guy said ccm's are more accurate, how another said that empire snipers suck and don't have that flat of a shot, and in general stuff that more people said that were against what I had to say.

Yes I agree, local stuff is useful. I ask guys around when I haven't been to the field in a while what paint is currently good, or their experiences with certain markers from the only store in town. When they share about forms and ways to play that I haven't heard of before, I listen, maybe even try it out just to see for myself. But when it comes to things I know that are bullshit, it's hard to take anything they say honestly.

#20 Four_Feather1

Four_Feather1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Yeah, this thread even disproves itself.  It's like some kind of paradox where information and disinformation collide, sometimes in the very same comments.

So, uh - original poster what'd you like about the Etha?  It's kind of like a higher-end Rail/eXTCy but with worse vibration and better components.

I like that most people i have talked to said that its a very durable guy. I saw the video of the guy who threw it down the gravel path and into a creek. Like i said i plan on using it mostly for rec/woodsball but i still want something that can hang with other guns if i were to go to cpx or other places like that. I also like all the praise planet eclipse has been given for their customer support. Being that i have never owned a marker before, the vibration issue with the etha doesn't seem like its going to bother me all because i have nothing else to compare it to (other than the rental tipmans). Im just looking for something thats not going to give me problems and will last me for a while.

#21 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

Any electro marker should be able to take the abuse the Etha does in that video. People drag their guns through puddles at national events and beat them up that bad regularly.

That said I dont think youll be disappointed with the Etha. The kinks have long since been worked out.

#22 ClayCallison

ClayCallison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:12 AM

To be fair, at least it gets criticized by people quite openly on the internet. Plus theres a larger network of people to claim bullshit and to question bullshit. At my field, people come from all over the state because it's one of the better places to go to in Arizona. Most of what I hear sitting at the staging area is some kid thinking about what marker to get for his birthday, talking with his friend about it. Some guy a table down is saying stuff like don't get a Dye, they're overpriced and they always break down. Guy at the table across him says "oh really" and the other guy goes into a lengthy discussion about how he heard or he had a friend who's DM9 kept on going down on him so never trust a dye. The kid listens, and no one there is questioning that guy (unless I decide to), and that shit spreads like wildfire. Another guy on the other table says that he agrees, cause fuck it, why not? and goes on about how to only get eclipse. The owner is friends with eclipse, and has convinced everyone Planet Eclipse markers are THE only way to go. A kid hearing this from an owner is going to hold onto that information with him.

Another example. I take a friend out to the field all the time. He's only played 3 or so times, but is always eager to play with me. He seems to love playing with my KP2 pump, and keeps telling me his parents are going to get him one for his birthday. I tell him about the used market, blah blah blah..., and then he gets to asking why pump people are so good. This is all during the walk to one of the fields mind you, so one of the pump players jumps in saying that their markers are more accurate than my axe. Another guy jumps in by saying that it's because it's a closed bolt marker, and then goes along telling him about how true that is. Some guy with his cocker jumps in, telling us that that's what makes the autococker so great, about how it's semi auto and closed bolt. This happens on multiple occasions throughout the day, maybe at the waiting area, maybe walking towards the field, maybe when we're taking a few pot shots at a pole only to complain that our marker sucks when we miss. And no one questions it, because the experienced guys are the one spewing this stuff to newbies.

I remember at the end of the day, I tried explaining to him how I said marker doesn't matter, and I started to recommend some pumps that he could look at. But he refused to listen to me, saying how one guy said ccm's are more accurate, how another said that empire snipers suck and don't have that flat of a shot, and in general stuff that more people said that were against what I had to say.

Yes I agree, local stuff is useful. I ask guys around when I haven't been to the field in a while what paint is currently good, or their experiences with certain markers from the only store in town. When they share about forms and ways to play that I haven't heard of before, I listen, maybe even try it out just to see for myself. But when it comes to things I know that are bullshit, it's hard to take anything they say honestly.

No matter if its the internet or real life people are going to claim that their gear is the best because nobody wants to look stupid by admitting that they made a shitty purchase.  I actually suggested my friend get and Ion when I had mine just because I secretly didn't want him to have a better gun than me.  Pump players think their better than semi players because they save paint just like semi players think they are better then ramp players because they think they are doing the sport a service and like how ramp players think they are better then airsofters because paintballs mark their hits.  Anyone you ask will tell you what they would want you to tell them.  There is plenty of good advice out there just remember to not buy the first thing you are recommended. Consider what is best for YOU.  If you can't hold the gun yourself don't ask questions like "Which gun is better?" ask questions like "Which gun has a larger grip frame?" to gauge if it will fit your hands.   Keep in mind that you don't need to take all of the advice you get and some of it will be bullshit just decide for yourself which of it is.  When I had my Ion, I loved it.  It ramped 15bps just like every other gun on the field and it was only until I started watching Mike's videos that I sold it for an old 06 ego because I was so convinced that it was a piece of shit even though I had fun with it.  That ego shoots 15bps just like the Ion did and performs exactly the same for all I can tell.

#23 AoSpades

AoSpades

I'll poop on your parade with big, stinky, liquidy facts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

Curious as to why you wouldn't want a used marker. You can get a killer deal from very reputable people where a marker has had little to no use and save a bunch of money simply because it was aired up and shot a few times.

2012 G6R || 2010 VICTORY || CROME 2 || ROGUE || LEGEND || THRESHOLD || G3

SPLASH ANNO'D CUSTOM PUMP || BLACK AKA'D KARNIVOR PUMP

Step up your game: Go A.P.E.

#24 ClayCallison

ClayCallison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:37 AM

Curious as to why you wouldn't want a used marker. You can get a killer deal from very reputable people where a marker has had little to no use and save a bunch of money simply because it was aired up and shot a few times.

This is the only reason why I didn't recommend an old Smart Parts Impulse.  Those things go for like $100 now and they are so good!

#25 Four_Feather1

Four_Feather1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

Thats a question that I im not sure about myself. I guess I just have trust issues. I would be more inclined to buy a used marker if i was able to meet the person selling it to me compared to just buying it from a guy i dont know over the internet. I know a lot of people buy used markers and have no problems with them, but if I were to buy a used one myself and something went wrong with it, in the back of my mind i would think the first owner is responsible for it, even if it was my fault. 

I love the way the etek 3-4 look and what i have heard about them and i would love to have one but i dont have the money for that and i have a bad feeling about buying one used.

Edited by Four_Feather1, 15 July 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#26 ClayCallison

ClayCallison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

Thats a question that I im not sure about myself. I guess I just have trust issues. I would be more inclined to buy a used marker if i was able to meet the person selling it to me compared to just buying it from a guy i dont know over the internet. I know a lot of people buy used markers and have no problems with them, but if I were to buy a used one myself and something went wrong with it, in the back of my mind i would think the first owner is responsible for it, even if it was my fault. 

I love the way the etek 3-4 look and what i have heard about them and i would love to have one but i dont have the money for that and i have a bad feeling about buying one used.

I just bought an etek 2 today for $75 and it is a BEEEEAST!  Try craigslist if you want to meet the person and test out the gun!  Better prices too.

#27 Cyk101

Cyk101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

My only issue with the etha is I don't think it's 150 better than the extcy in a number of areas. And if you need to pay that much more to feel secure about your customer service, get a better gun.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: etha, planet eclipse, proto, maxxed, rail, woodsball, electronic, marker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users