24 replies to this topic

#1 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Hello,

Let me first start off by saying I am new to paintball and have only went 3 times and I fell in love since the first time I went. I love the sport and am ready to make my first big purchase. I was looking into the GOG envy and I was really impressed. My budget is $400 and under and I know that can be done because I have seen it on YouTube and websites all around. The package needs to include the marker, mask, air system, pod pack and pods, and electronic hopper such as the halo invert too.

#2 r45vt

r45vt

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

Do you have any local stores close to you to try on a mask and figure out what is best for you?

Will you consider used?

Edited by r45vt, 26 July 2014 - 11:52 PM.

My youtube channel:

https://www.youtube....QgnGna7lWBK-c3w

Watch some paint splat on people!

#3 WiiMint

WiiMint

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

Here's what I'd do and in what order I'd do it in.

1) Mask - V-Force Profiler - $80 NEW

2) Tank - Any brand 68/4500 - $80 USED

3) Loader - Proto Primo (For a beginner, it'll work fine until you have enough money to get a better one) - $15 NEW

4) Gun/Marker - Proto Rail (NOT REFLEX RAIL) - $100-$170 USED

5) Pod Pack/Pods - Valken Fate 4+3/Proto Alpha Pods x4 - $30/$4x4 NEW

Total: ~$321-$391

For used items, try looking here: https://www.facebook...Paintballbst.1/

Did you ever notice how Valken Graffiti smells like chocolate? Then, when you leave some in a pod on a hot day, they smell like melted chocolate!

#4 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Good loader+good tank+good mask+crappy gun > good gun+crappy everything else
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#5 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Response to WiiMint:

Thanks so much for that great information! Here are the prices I found below for those items:

V-Force Profiler Mask: $74.99 (New)

Ninja 48/3000 HPA Tank: $50.00 (New)

Invert Halo Too Loader: $73.95 (New) - I want this hopper.

Valken Crusade Hatch Harness 4+7: $44.95

Proto Rail: $249.99

Total: $500

Now my additional options:

GOG Envy: $199.99

Invert Halo Too: $73.95

Valken Annex MI-7: $32:99

Ninja Tank 48/3000: $49.99

Valken Exile 4+7 Harness: $34.95

Total: $392 ( Now I can buy a bottle of lub and swigiee.  

#6 Cyk101

Cyk101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

If you're buying the envy, just get the extcy for the same price for one of the colorful options on ansgear. Better board and better stock barrel.
I also wouldn't really recommend buying used when you're new to the game, for a number of reasons. 1) you're more likely to get taken advantage of. 2) you don't know enough to know what you need vs what you want. 3) you can inherit someone else's problems, and you won't know enough to fix them, or decide if the problems are worth it in the first place.
Last, the mask and the tank are probably the two top things not to skimp on. Mask because of the protection and comfort, because that really can make or break your day. And tank....a 48/3000 tank is maybe going to give you, in general for 10 shots per c.i. so 480 shots for a 48/3000. A 4500 psi tank is going to give you 15 shots per c.i. If you're at a field that offers all day air then it's not so much of a problem. If you're playing with buddies in the woods it can be a pain. That's up to you to determine what you need.

#7 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Response To Cyk101:

I would like to thank you for the advice you gave me. That is a INSANE price for that gun, only $199.99 thanks so much! Yeah I don't buy used items unless there brand new and never opened. Thanks so much.

#8 DasJaco

DasJaco

TIGER STYLE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

Why ask for advice if you don't take any.

Lakeville Ambush #3

DLX Luxe 2.0

Dye Rotor

Ninja 77/4500

#9 Forrest99

Forrest99

2spooky4u

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Response To Cyk101:

I would like to thank you for the advice you gave me. That is a INSANE price for that gun, only $199.99 thanks so much! Yeah I don't buy used items unless there brand new and never opened. Thanks so much.

Buy used, just try it. I've used a dm6, vlocity, empire 68/4500, and a nice pair of events for less than 260$. And that is a very competitive setup, it is about on par with any other new setup

Any one with a B2k pds board?

#10 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Dont waste money of an aluminum tabk when you can spend like $20-30 more and get a carbon fiber tank that is much lighter, higher capacity and 4500psi.

#11 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

In response to Blow-Dough'ed:I really do want the 4500 but I don't know what it means when is has like a 68/ before the 4500? Could you explain what the 47/3000 48/3000 or 68/4500 and these things are?

#12 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

Alright I have come my conclusion after all the advice people have given me. I have learned ALLOT in the past 2 days about paintball and I thank each one of you for taking the time to read and reply to this forum.

Here is what I am getting:

Hopper: Invert Halo Too Hopper (20 Bps) - $73.95

Marker: GoG eXTCy w/ Blackheart Board (Racer Red) - $199.99

Mask/Google: V-Force Armor (Black) -  $24.95

Air System: 47/3000 Cyclone HPA Tank (High Output) - $39.95

Pod Harness: 2014 Valken Crusade Harness 4+7 (Hatch Red) - $49.95

Speed Feed: Gen X Global Lightning Universal Speed Feed (Red) - $4.95

If anyone else has suggestions please leave them in the comments, once again thanks to everyone!

#13 Cyk101

Cyk101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

I'd suggest putting more into the mask and less into the loader. A gog extcy works just fine with something like a tippmann ssl-200 which is around 50 and feeds as fast as you should need in just about any situation, unless you want to waste a ton of paint in your back yard. If you're playing speedball you only shoot at 12.5 bps. I had one and it's an easy,simple little loader. That should give you a little more cash to put into a good mask. Also you really don't need a speed feed, unless you're playing competitively and need to load paint as quickly as possible on an xball field you can take the time to flip the little lid open.

In fact I take back some of what I said about buying used. A used mask can be a good option, since pictures are provided, and most masks are largely modular, allowing you to replace parts as needed pretty simply. Check the Facebook forums, pbnation or ebay for sellers with good feedback. Don't gift if you use paypal. You can also check craigslist, which can be easier since you can check out what you're buying before you actually buy it. Basically the goal here is to get you to buy a decent mask...it really is that important.

Edited by Cyk101, 27 July 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#14 OFWGKTA666

OFWGKTA666

Felicia the goat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

I'd put your speed feed and pod pack money into your mask. Giving you room to play with and save up for a pod pack later

"I'm a F*cking unicorn. and F*ck anybody that say im not"
Heroes-para-ninos-Troll-face-F-ck-Yeah-3

#15 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

Do NOT cheap out on your mask.

#16 AoSpades

AoSpades

I'll poop on your parade with big, stinky, liquidy facts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

Don't forget about a barrel. A barrel is the single most important upgrade for your marker.

I would recommend THIS for a first barrel with .685 or .689 being the bore size and 14 inches being the overall length. A very solid and reputable barrel for $30.

I also noticed you were asking what the numbers meant for air tanks.

The first set of numbers 68/4500 is the cubic inches(ci) of the tank, basically the overall size of the tanks air storage.

The second set of numbers 68/4500 is the pounds per square inch(psi) of the tank, basically the amount of pressure the tank is rated to.

With  the tank you are wanting to get, 47/3000, you will be needing to get air MUCH more often than with a 4500 tank. Moreover, your tank is made of steel, vice carbon fiber, making the tank much more heavy and cumbersome.

Roughly averaging, your marker with a 47/3000 will get about 10 shots per cubic inch, meaning you will have roughly 470 shots before your tank is COMPLETELY empty. Taking into account that at about ~ 700psi on most high pressure markers/tanks is when you start to see a drop in pressure, you have roughly 400 shots before you start to experience drop off from your marker not getting enough air pressure to shoot a paintball at ~280 feet per second. Too put it into perspective, that is basically a hopper and *almost* 2 pods.

Carbon fiber tanks(4500s) average, with your marker about 15 shots per cubic inch. So a 68/4500 would at or above 1,000 shots off of a single fill before your tank is completely empty. When you again take into account that drop off occurs at about the 700psi mark, you'll get off roughly 8-900 paintballs before needing to refill. In perspective, a hopper and 4ish pods.

Again these are rough averages, some markers get far more from a single fill, this may be one of them. I'm simply trying to paint a picture for you so you can understand why 4500 tanks are much better than 3000s

That is at or about double what you would have for a 3000psi tank. a 68/4500 is also about or slightly shorter in LENGTH than a 47/3000, just a bit larger on the circumference.

Last but not least, steel tanks (3000s) need hydrostatic testing every three years, vice carbon fiber tanks (4500s) needing  hydrostatic testing every 5 years.

Edited by AoSpades, 28 July 2014 - 05:43 AM.

2012 G6R || 2010 VICTORY || CROME 2 || ROGUE || LEGEND || THRESHOLD || G3

SPLASH ANNO'D CUSTOM PUMP || BLACK AKA'D KARNIVOR PUMP

Step up your game: Go A.P.E.

#17 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

After More Consideration I have taken some of you advice:

Marker: GOG eXCTy w/ Blackheart Board (Racer Red) - $199.99

Air System: 48/3000 Gerrilla Air (Shaped as a carbon fiber tank for comfort, also I have all day air and play, no need for the 4500) - 49.95

Pod Harness: Valken Exile 4+7 (This includes buying 6 pods) - $43.99

Hopper: (I am debating still on what hopper to get)

Mask: (Debating, depends on how much I can lower my hopper cost and I will put that money into the mask)

Accessory's: Speed Feed $4.95 (I want this just because it takes me like 45 seconds with out it to reload.)

#18 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

You're looking at the mask situation the wrong way. It should be your number one priority.

As for a hopper I'd look at the JT Revolution or Tippmann SSL. As for a pack, it can be put off for a while and saved for later purchase. If you must have one now I'd recommend the NXe pack. http://www.ansgear.c...4podharness.htm It comes with 4 pods and is built extremely well, but is not the most comfortable pack. A speedfeed however is extremely unnecessary.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#19 meh

meh

Screw you guys, I'm goin' home

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

For an extra 25 bucks you can get a z2 over the halo too. I have both and they are both great. Just worth the mention as its alot easier to clean and maintain over the halo. 

Meh

If you're under 18 and pay for your own stuff, put this in your signature.

#20 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

Guys there is a lot of talk about the mask. Mike reviews the V-Force's and said they're great. I am confused what else should I get?

#21 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Alright I was looking around and I found a decent mask for looks, durability, performance. I selected a couple new items so take a look:

Marker: GOG eXTCy (Racer Red) - $199.99

Hopper/Loader: Tippmann SSL-200 (15 Bps) -  $49.95

Mask/Google: Tippmann Intrepid Paintball Google (Black-Grey) -  $49.95

Pod Harness/Pods: Valken Exile 4+7 Harness - $31.95 / Valken Black Pods (140 Capacity)  $1.99/each - Getting 6

Air System: Guerrilla 48/3000 HPA Tank (This tank is shaped as a carbon fiber one with rounded end for comfort, I don't need 4500, I got all day air)

So guys leave comments/suggestions below, also what is the "Pressure Kits" Guerrilla Offer's?

#22 OFWGKTA666

OFWGKTA666

Felicia the goat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

Being a beginner, pod packs aren't really necessary. If you're just starting out you wanna have money left over for paint but not break the bank every time.
Running low on paint makes you play more conservatively and forces you to make each shot count

"I'm a F*cking unicorn. and F*ck anybody that say im not"
Heroes-para-ninos-Troll-face-F-ck-Yeah-3

#23 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

Alright I picked what I wanted ! Thanks to everyone I went over my budget but it was worth it! Here is the final price and gear I bought.

Attached Files

#24 Cyk101

Cyk101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Solid mask, nice choice.

#25 Colin C

Colin C

• Members
  • Pip