Photo

Should I play pump? If yes, what should I get

Bob Saget Pump Your six pack Your right eyebrow That mole your hiding Paintball Help Advice That geo you could give me

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 XballMan01

XballMan01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

So I've been playing paintball for about 2 years, and I've only owned 2 guns. A tippy and my beautiful titan white etha. The thing about pump that has gotten me so interested is that pump forces me to hone in on skills I need to work on. Such as snap shooting, personally I'm comfortable with snapping in and out but I feel like when I shoot, the shot completely misses the target. Another benefit I see in playing pump is how cheap it is in the long run. Sure I need to put in some money to get a gun, but instead of shooting a case every day I head out, I could use a bag. Simply I'm trying to save paint and work on skills I think needs working on. One more thing about pump that interests me is the satisfaction of eliminating a person with a pump gun. With a semi marker getting a guy isn't a big deal because you can lob 50 paintballs out in a matter of seconds. But a pump player has to be accurate and quick. I want to be a faster more accurate player and pump seems to be a way where I can work on these skills while still saving some money. Or do you think there's another way I can work on my skills.

#2 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

take off your pad pack and play with just a loader full. focus on movement and communication. when you do get further up the field you have to be able to play tight enough and snap well enough to win gun battles, you'll learn quickly. 

i would suggest playing a game with a pump before going out and buying one. that being said, if you do want to buy one i suggest an old sniper (autococker with a pump kit) anything with a centre feed, clamping feedneck, high quality pump kit (CCM preffered by me) and you're pretty much good to go! another thing is that unlike other markers pumps tend to hold onto their re-sale value extremely well, because companies don't really make them anymore theres no factor driving the prices down. so if you buy one then decide a while later its not for you, you'll most likely get a 100% return on your investment. 

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock1 of 100 XSV axe pro. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#3 OMGitisZMD

OMGitisZMD

Maryland Paintballer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

take off your pad pack and play with just a loader full. focus on movement and communication. when you do get further up the field you have to be able to play tight enough and snap well enough to win gun battles, you'll learn quickly. 

This is what I've been doing instead of playing pump & I've found that it's a lot of fun and saves paint :)

Maryland Paintballer

#4 P.A.N

P.A.N

Techpb to the front!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

Pump changed my paintball life man. I currently run an azodin kaos pump and I cant complain about it. Shoots awesome and the ball retention system is awesome. My snap shooting is crazy on point now. I changed from the traditional snapping style to the Russian Legion style and its been working great. I have a rep at my local field because I flanked all the way behind the other team and shot from their side to 3/4s of the way up the field to hit an enemy in the back of the head. Its always a great time. When you go out for the first time, dont get discouraged. I got mad that I wasnt getting my normal amount of eliminations but eventually I was able to get the same amount that I can with an electro.

#5 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

so if you buy one then decide a while later its not for you, you'll most likely get a 100% return on your investment. 

Not a single product will retain its original retail value, paintball markers of any kind are no different in this regard. And also. There are companies making new pump marker model in this day and age..

#6 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Used market is like that....
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#7 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

so if you buy one then decide a while later its not for you, you'll most likely get a 100% return on your investment.

Just to be a pain about the language for a second: a "100% return on investment" means you double your money. I think Luxor meant a "100% return of investment," meaning you get all your money back when you sell...which certainly might be true if you buy used and get a good deal. I do think that it's a fair point that pump markers, especially those bought on the used market, don't depreciate as quickly as many of the more popular semis. The availabilities and lead times are such that prices stay high. I'm thinking of the CCM pumps...good luck finding one in good condition for a lot less than retail.

Not a single product will retain its original retail value, paintball markers of any kind are no different in this regard. And also. There are companies making new pump marker model in this day and age..

Like any other niche market, paintball equipment can be funny. The mass-market stuff will surely depreciate. Low volume, build-to-order guns like CCMs and Phantoms won't depreciate as much. And then there are weird situations like Sandanas and Winchester Pocket Hoppers where the prices go nuts.

#8 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

*cough* SL91 *cough* 

Edited by LUXOR54, 28 August 2014 - 11:46 PM.

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock1 of 100 XSV axe pro. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#9 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

*cough* SL91 *cough* 

sl91 is a special edition, besides, the topic here is pump gear.. 

special limited edition gear tends to keep or increase in value, like the philly american`s luxes, and someday gsl markers will have a steep price too.

would you recomend the guy in the original post a limited edition ccm super high end super expensive setup just to give pump a try?

sure! spend 800 bucks plus shipping and give pump a try! instead of an azodin kp for 150.. that would be real smart.

#10 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

*cough* SL91 *cough* 

sl91 is a special edition, besides, the topic here is pump gear.. 

special limited edition gear tends to keep or increase in value, like the philly american`s luxes, and someday gsl markers will have a steep price too.

would you recomend the guy in the original post a limited edition ccm super high end super expensive setup just to give pump a try?

sure! spend 800 bucks plus shipping and give pump a try! instead of an azodin kp for 150.. that would be real smart.

which is why instead of buying something like a CCM i told him to buy an old autococker with a pump kit.

#11 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Yep, luxor isn't telling buddy to drop the $500+ for a ccm...

Used snipers will usually fetch what you bought for them.

Alternatively the empire sniper is a pretty good pump for under $300.

Also obviously you have not heard of a ccm j12, production was indefinitely suspended after 1 run of 50 they are usually $1000+ used even though ccm sold them for about $800. Like shit actually do some research...
gnUDL.png

#12 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Also obviously you have not heard of a ccm j12, production was indefinitely suspended after 1 run of 50 they are usually $1000+ used even though ccm sold them for about $800. Like shit actually do some research...

again.. talking about limited edition guns.. 

i see now that there are some topics not up for debate here. ppl just wont let go.

#13 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

oh, before get.lit.up and luxor mention it! there is the action markers limited edition gold plated william shetner's trophy marker (only 25 made) that also goes for a shit ton of money, even more than it originally retailed if it actually did retail.

http://www.vintagere..._trophy_gun.jpg

here.. there is the url for it! :angry:

any other? bet there are more.. 

#14 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

But the ccm j12 wasn't a limited edition... They were suppose to be continued for more than 50 markers
gnUDL.png

#15 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

oh, before get.lit.up and luxor mention it! there is the action markers limited edition gold plated william shetner's trophy marker (only 25 made) that also goes for a shit ton of money, even more than it originally retailed if it actually did retail.

what about nexus autocockers? those go for a pretty penny now a days.

#16 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

oh, before get.lit.up and luxor mention it! there is the action markers limited edition gold plated william shetner's trophy marker (only 25 made) that also goes for a shit ton of money, evenu more than it originally retailed if it actually did retail.

what about nexus autocockers? those go for a pretty penny now a days.
You made your point several post ago, just let it go already..

#17 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

again.. talking about limited edition guns.. 

i see now that there are some topics not up for debate here. ppl just wont let go.

it's not that some tpoics aren't up for debate here. any and all things paintball related are up for discussion on TechPB. it's just when people are wrong about certain things, we correct them. like in this topic you stated something that was false, so i corrected you and gave you examples of why you were incorrect. now you can leave this topic knowing more than what you came in with.

#18 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

And how is it not for debate, we are arguing right fucking now!

And to be honest with you I think that GSL price will keep on dropping, it was only Uber high until the Geo 3.5 came out

Edited by get.lit.up!, 31 August 2014 - 01:01 PM.

gnUDL.png

#19 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

And how is it not for debate, we are arguing right fucking now!

And to be honest with you I think that GSL price will keep on dropping, it was only Uber high until the Geo 3.5 came out

what makes me mad, as someone mentioned, is not the fact that i could be worng about something, the original subject changed form, giving some guy advice wether he should or should not go in to pump or what should he get, wich some people answered, to "hey, lets get this guy (me) a hard time because he doesnt know shit about limited edition/production markers and how they keep or increase their value over time, like everything else collectible.

that being said, my original arguement was that regular gear loses its value no matter what, then some guy replied that some geo prototype that only 7 were made off, was crazy expensive yata yata yata.. and so on.. then ppl just kept posting examples of how i was wrong because this or that marker still sells for more than it originally did when it first came out.

i just dont need the same two guys to tell me how "wrooooong", in their own opinion, i am with the same arguement over and over again.

#20 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Don't you think that "these guys" may have flipped a few markers? And I dunno may know a thing or 2 about market value of stuff? Or even how to make some side cash buying and selling markers? Who knows right? Not to mention you misunderstood markers and ran with it (buying $800 ccm to try pump, he meant get a sniper and put ccm parts on it....)

Yeah me and luxor, before you derailed the thread was saying snipers (pumped autocockers or Empire ones) would be a great starting point for pump. Heck I would even throw in a phantom to the mix now that I think about it.

Personally even with pump some can shoot basically the same amount of paint as an electro. Picking your shots better and playing hopperball before diving straight into pump would be advised.

Also so we are clear:
Sniper with ccm parts =/= ccm marker

Edited by get.lit.up!, 31 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

gnUDL.png

#21 Lyxtwing

Lyxtwing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:27 PM

To answer the OP, try pump.  It's fun, and it's cheap.  Ironically the debate here seems to be about higher end markers, but lower end pumps hold their value pretty well, especially if you buy used.  Pick up a Kaos for $100 used, slap everything you already own on it and try pump a couple times.  Not your thing?  Sell the Kaos for $100 and you have a story to tell.  Hang on to the Kaos for five, ten years and it drops in value?  Sell for, well, anything.  Lose less than $100.

Edited by Lyxtwing, 05 September 2014 - 12:08 AM.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

PM8 I Alias I Marq 6 I A4 Fly I E1 I eNMey I Hammer 7

#22 SeanPB1029

SeanPB1029

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

i would suggest playing a game with a pump before going out and buying one. that being said, if you do want to buy one i suggest an old sniper (autococker with a pump kit) anything with a centre feed, clamping feedneck, high quality pump kit (CCM preffered by me) and you're pretty much good to go! another thing is that unlike other markers pumps tend to hold onto their re-sale value extremely well, because companies don't really make them anymore theres no factor driving the prices down. so if you buy one then decide a while later its not for you, you'll most likely get a 100% return on your investment. 

I agree with LUXOR54 100%. Whenever I play recball I NEVER bring a pod pack onto the field. Just one hopper full. Ever since I started doing that my skill has greatly improved.

Playing pump is fun, and if you still want to get into it, I recommend the Azodin Kaos Pump. The pump handle is smoother that both the Trracer and Hammer 7, and it is such a comfortable gun.

Edited by SeanPB1029, 24 September 2014 - 11:08 AM.

Eclipse Geo2-Empire Helix-Megabrand 68/45-Empire Z2

IFyouAREunder18andYOUpayFORyourGEARputTHISinYOURsig

giphy.gifTECH PB HEAVY METAL FAN CLUB  http://www.techpb.co...metal-fan-club/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bob Saget, Pump, Your six pack, Your right eyebrow, That mole your hiding, Paintball, Help, Advice, That geo you could give me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users