148 replies to this topic

#1 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Okay, so last year during football season, I got a crap helmet being a freshman and all. I didn't think much of it until I got a concussion. I was going to buy a riddell revo speed, but I figured I'm going to be out for the majority of the rest of the season, so why not just wait, especially since the team is getting revos next year.

So now it's next year. Equipment collection happened. Of course they didn't get enough large revos, so no sophomores got any, including me. That being said, it's not going to be another year of this heavy, uncomfortable schutt helmet. I need a revo.

That being said, I talked to my mom, and she said "I don't know anything about this, talk to your dad. Well I did. I don't have $300 for a new revo. I was hoping my parents would help me by covering a bit of the cost. (Disclaimer: I said a BIT of the cost, not $300). I ask my dad if he wants to give me an early Chanukah present (#jewish), and he looks at me like I have four freaking heads and says "didn't you get enough Chanukah presents this year?" I wanted to say "What are you talking about", since Chanukah didn't happen this year and I didn't even attempt asking for something for Chanukah up until this point, so no. I got nothing, but I thought saying that wouldn't go over that well...

Anyway, I show him what it is, and he then again looks at me like "what the hell do you need this for", without saying anything, and then he turns back to watching tv.

Long story short, yes. $300 is a lot of money. I asked for $100 TOPS. It's not like I'm buying some shit I don't need. I mean to me, my head and avoiding brain trauma is worth $300, but apparently it's not to my parents. I guess maybe I'm just pissed because I was expecting some sort of sympathy/reaction for lack of better words. Maybe even if they didn't want to help pay, I would at least like for them to treat me with respect rather than looking at me like I'm freaking retarded for caring about my safety.

Don't freaking look at me and talk to me like I'm stupid for wanting to buy something that can potentially not only save my body and athletic carrer, but also pay for itself 10 times over with god forbid concussion doctor fees.

Fuck that

/rant
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#2 AoSpades

AoSpades

I'll poop on your parade with big, stinky, liquidy facts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

So tell them. Sometimes you have to be brutally honest with your parents.

2012 G6R || 2010 VICTORY || CROME 2 || ROGUE || LEGEND || THRESHOLD || G3

SPLASH ANNO'D CUSTOM PUMP || BLACK AKA'D KARNIVOR PUMP

Step up your game: Go A.P.E.

#3 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

I'm a Senior and I didn't get a Revo, build a bridge and get over it.

I want a Revo myself, but crap happens. Revos weigh 4.2 pounds. I weighed my helmet at 6.4 yesterday.

EDIT: My school only has 10 Revos, and three of them are on freshman, three sophomores, and three seniors. The tenth belonged to a Senior, but he tore his ACL in the spring game and they aren't giving it to anyone for some reason.

Edited by The Recballer, 09 August 2014 - 07:04 PM.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#4 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

I'm a Senior and I didn't get a Revo, build a bridge and get over it.

I want a Revo myself, but crap happens. Revos weigh 4.2 pounds. I weighed my helmet at 6.4 yesterday.

EDIT: My school only has 10 Revos, and three of them are on freshman, three sophomores, and three seniors. The tenth belonged to a Senior, but he tore his ACL in the spring game and they aren't giving it to anyone for some reason.

With the amount of money my school gets, they should have a revo for every player on the team just as they promised. They have 50 revos, and 50 Schutt Dna's.

Now the biggest issue is that the crown on my helmet is popped, so that a big issue.

What pisses me off the most however is that seniors who just joined the football program, and are 3 or 4 the string got revos, but me, who has been playing since 6 grade, and is a starting jv OG/DT and second string varsity OG/DT gets a 7 year old Schutt DNA helmet with a popped crown
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#5 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,001 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

I spent my entire football career with an old school no frills helmet. None of us got concussions, because it's not the type of helmet that matters, it's the fit of the helmet. Also, the weight only matters for the first few days of helmets, after you get used to it. Besides, dat neck strength.

So yeah it might suck you don't get the new toys, but suck it up and worry about helmet fit before you worry about helmet type.

And for the love of the gods, don't lead with your head.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 09 August 2014 - 08:21 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#6 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

I don't lead with my head, I keep my head up and go shoulder first... That's sixth grade football knowledge :P

Honestly, ya, I get it. The fit matters. I think the reason the speed is more safe is simply for the fact of the liner. The schutt helmet I have has the padding all the way around, and then forehead and crown padding. There are big gaps however in which it doesn't let me get as custom of a fit.

The liner lets the helmet mold incredibly to your head, and also gives a bit more padding. To add to that, it will also let me have a bit more air in the helmet, because the comfort of the liner will help make it more comfortable, regardless of being a bit tighter. This may not seem like a big deal, but definitely makes a big difference considering I'm nearly between sizes, and therefor I go for the smaller size, and I need some air in my helmet.

#7 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

#wholeteamhadrevospeedswhenwewonthestatevocbowlin2k11

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#8 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

My school only has 60 kids in the program. I wish we had 50 Revos. 

My current helmet fits too tight and the chinstrap doesn't adjust. It's a Medium Xenith X2, but I think I'm going to ask the coach about the kid who tore his ACL's helmet. See if I can get it.

Good luck bruh.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

#9 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

@bigx: #wholeteamstilldoesnthaverevosafterwinningstatechampionshipandbeingratednumberfourinthetristatearea

@jawz: no.

@therecballer: I heard the xenith x2 is a great helmet! If it's too tight, try going to the trainer to take some air out. And my team has 100+ players in the program.

#10 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

@therecballer: I heard the xenith x2 is a great helmet! If it's too tight, try going to the trainer to take some air out. And my team has 100+ players in the program.

I'm sure it's better than the shutts we have, but it isn't very comfortable, and its pretty heavy.

#11 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

I swear I thought half of you were playing without helmets anyways.

#12 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

I just started playing football, if I have brain damage, its from soccer.

#13 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

Black Lightning Thunder Panther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Know that feeling, the smallest helmet that our high school has that is left, you know freshman get last and all is a size medium i wear a size small helmet............not that it matters if i'm not playing.

Edited by Curry Pi, 10 August 2014 - 09:39 AM.

"If you think you will give up, you have already failed." 

#14 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Honestly, freshman season, you do still need a good helmet, but you can make do with a schutt. When only being 215 pounds and playing varsity against 350 pound defenders, I kind of need a decent helmet lol.

I'm going to order a custom speed of riddell's website. Not worth getting another concussion god forbid. You can always get more money, but you can't get a new brain.

Maybe next year when I get more money, I'll save up $50 instead of the $30 to recondition my Facemask, and I'll pay the extra $20 for a big grill. That's all in the future though, ain't nobody got money for that

#15 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

I'm a benchwarmer, glorified bag holder, or my personal favorite A/1st team practice dummy so meh.

#16 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

If I wasn't a senior, I'd probably buy a speed myself. But this is my last year.

#17 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

Alright, just ordered my revo! Should be here in 2 weeks tops, as it is a custom order. Can't wait!

Now I need to go find money... At least next year, to make it like a brand new helmet, all I have to do is send it in for reconditioning

Good thing helmets can be used up to 10 years from initial year manufactured. Will take me through high school and college if I decide to play college ball. May not even be good enough for college football though.

Ehh whatever, even after I'm done playing or the helmet gets too old, I can still have it in my room looking cool

Pics of it will be up once recieved, especially comparing padding on the inside of the helmet

#18 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

Lucky, i had to go through practice with my helmet bouncing around because one of the coaches (varsity i believe) couldn't find the needle to air it up.  :dodgy:

#19 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Well my helmet will be bouncing today due to the popped air bladder. Luckily the revo should be in just before my first scrimmage

#20 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

They canceled our scrimmage, and it was under the lights too. :(  

#21 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

They canceled our scrimmage, and it was under the lights too. :(

Turns out I can't go to practice. It's still not considered practice until Thursday though. It is still conditioning. That being said, I'm having stomach problems :( My sister was sick, I hope I didn't catch whatever she had

#22 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yeah we had camp last week to install plays and what not. We are helmets only for three days i think, district rules i believe.

#23 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

We didn't go over plays yet. Just running+lifting.

Haven't been at conditioning for a month now due to a torn ankle. I want to get back. Tomorrow. If not, then preseason starts Thursday so I will definitely be going back then

#24 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Ouch, the worst i had was a hit by two people that folded me backwards that caused scoliosis in my lower back.

#25 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

Gave someone a compound fracture in his femur from a hit I laid on him. Kid thought he could bump it outside off his tackle. Quick club and rip and all of a sudden I had a shoulder pad into his fucking leg. 

Just be smart about your helmet. If you dont feel safe wearing it tell your coach, you deserve to have a proper fitting and safe helmet, head injuries are no joke man. 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

#26 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Yeah i might be forced to buy my own.

#27 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

Last year was the craziest hit ever. We have a kid on our team, we call him "the bull". He is 5'10", benches 275. He is the middle linebacker, I am a defensive tackle. Last year we both got through our gaps and went for the qb. The defensive end also got through. Me and the defensive end went low, one on each leg. Reason being he was fast and that was the best we can do.

Well sure enough here comes the bull, full sprint. He went high. Luckily I got the left leg. His right leg femur snapped clean in half, and his kneecap went to the other side of his leg, so his leg was pivoting the wrong was.

None of us meant for it to happen. We play clean. It was a freak accident. We visited him in the hospital. He was an outstanding qb for being a freshman. Threw bullets perfectly accurately. Fast too. I believe he will be back in the condition to play this year, although I don't think we will play them and sadly I am afraid to say I doubt he will ever be as good.

Anyway, of course they though we did that on purpose, so after he was taken away on the ambulance, the other team started cheap-shooting us. One speared our offensive tackle and broke his rib. Another took out our fullback with a hit to the lower back.

That was one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen, and I felt like complete crap after it happened. I mean is know it wasn't meant to happen, but I feel like shit seriously injuring another player. I get it, shit happens, but I just don't like when that happens, I don't feel good about it

#28 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

Yeah something like that happened to our qb but his leg went the opposite of where it is suppose to bend at the knee it wasn't as gruesome as what you described. 

#29 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

I wish I had money for a Revo. I'm the kind of person who likes to have things that remind me of things I did. So even though I'd only get to use it a year, I'd have it on my desk for the rest of my life, haha.

We started camp last week, two practices a day on weekdays, one practice Saturday. We have to wear helmets for 2 days, and helmets and shoulders for 3 days. So Saturday was our first day in full pads. 

#30 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

We can't have two a days in theory. So we cheated with just one long practice with classroom in the middle of the day.

#31 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

We do an hour and a half meeting, a 2.5 hour practice, lunch, hour and 15 minutes of watching practice film, an hour and 15 minute practice, and an hour long meeting.

Edited by The Recballer, 11 August 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#32 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

Ah ours are only four hours. Whats funny is today is we ran (not much at all) three 100 yards. At the end everyone was gassed except for me, thank God for soccer huh. (well i am still sore from last monday....hopefully that is not a problem)

#33 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Ah ours are only four hours. Whats funny is today is we ran (not much at all) three 100 yards. At the end everyone was gassed except for me, thank God for soccer huh. (well i am still sore from last monday....hopefully that is not a problem)

We usually run at the end of our practices. Usually about 630 yards(width of the field x12), some times more, sometimes not at all. We get about a minute and 15 second break every 212 yards.

Edited by The Recballer, 11 August 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#34 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

That's it?!? We run 8 200 yard sprints, then a 3 minute break, then 10 40 yard sprints, and then finish it off with one 400 sprint. For a fat lineman like me, it's freaking hard! Especially when sprinting next to our halfbacks and receivers.

What we do is we start off with a 2:30 offensive practice, then go lift for 1 hour, then eat lunch for 30 minutes, then go to meetings for 1 hour, then go to a 2:30 defense

#35 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Fuckin pesants. I did 4 a days for camp. 

5AM RISE 

2 Hour Conditioning

2 hour break for breakfast 

3 hours offense indys, group, team

2 Hour break for lunch 

3 Hours Defense, indus, group, team

2 hour break for dinner

1 Hour Special Teams

1 Hour Classroom 

Also try a carolina... 

Endzone to Endzone

5yards back 

gasser back

10 yards back 

gasser back

15 yards back

gasser back

20 yards back

and so on and so on and so on. 

#36 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Regular practice hasn't started so honestly with the tight schedule there is no time for long ass conditioning sessions. Plus i got a new helmet today, now it's to tight.

#37 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

Lol, take some air out. Just take a needle to use for pumping up basketballs, lick it put it in the air bladder, and squeeze the padding to your liking. Hold it where you like it while pulling out the needle

#38 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

YES! Just got an email from riddell that my order has shipped! So glad it didn't take the 2 weeks they said it might take!

#39 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Yeah the thing is i leave my helmet at the school. And lucky i might consider getting a revo attack or revo speed.

#40 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Get a speed. The attack if I remember correctly is only available in the youth, which is not legal for high school play due to the plastic shell.

I leave me helmet in a locked up locker

#41 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Yeah same, school locker. And oh yeah that makes sense like i saw the youth sizes and i figured it wouldn't work out.

#42 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Ya, actually sizing is the same. The difference is the youth helmets are made of a different shell material, therefore don't have the strength to take hard varsity hits

#43 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Youth helmets are made of ABS plastic, same stuff legos are made of.

Adult helmets are made of a polycarbonate. :tup:

#44 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Youth helmets are made of ABS plastic, same stuff legos are made of.

Adult helmets are made of a polycarbonate. :tup:

Way to know your stuff, i probably didn't read the whole thing. Day three of five in the books. :tup:  

#45 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

That turned out perfect! Instead of the speed getting here in 2 weeks, it should get here tomorrow, or in 4 days from when I ordered it! Should be in like an hour before our first practice!

Edited by Pvlacrosse14, 13 August 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#46 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Nice what time is practice? If it was me knowing my luck the mail will run late and i wouldn't be able to use it.

#47 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

Well a meeting at 2:30 and practice starts at 4

#48 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Ours start at 3 next week to prepare us for when the school year actually starts so we are in rhythm.

#49 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Lucky. This is just a one time thing. After tomorrow, it is from 9-5, 6 days a week.

Bye bye shootyball lol

#50 Curry Pi

Curry Pi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

Holy shit. I'm lucky i am just a freshman, ain't nobody got time for dat. 

Lucky. This is just a one time thing. After tomorrow, it is from 9-5, 6 days a week.

Bye bye shootyball lol

Lol, what is this strange device that shoots these paintbullets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users