• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 btbam006

btbam006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

Hey everyone, so a little upset that right after I purchased all these parts, I started having issues and the a5og site is down and has been for about a week now :/

Basically I had a stock A5, pre-2011. I bought all TechT stuff and decided to upgrade it. Got the Vortex mod, Lightning rod, QEPH, Squishy Paddles, Zero-Kick Hammer and an E-Grip from Tippmann.

I installed it all, as well as polished the internals while it was all apart. The next day I test fired it, no leaks at all, one thing I did notice though, it was shooting very hard and loud. I don't have a chrono so I have no way to check it unless I go to a field. I did adjust it so it was a bit better.

The issues I am having though are as follows:

E-Grip misfires/doesn't shoot sometimes. Let me explain, I press the trigger, the gun shoots, paint comes out, sometimes though (actually very frequently), I press the trigger, I hear the E-Grip click trying to move the sear, but the sear never releases the rear bolt.

Breaking paint, a lot of it.

------------------

I have come to the conclusion that it could be a couple things, for one, which I think is most likely, the rear spring was never changed, not sure if the tension is too high, which would explain it shooting hard, breaking paint, and not allowing the sear to release, too much pressure against the sear I guess?

Also, thinking it's possibly the E-Grip is not building enough charge in the capacitor and not sending enough power to the sear to be release the bolt. I also blew through batteries very quickly, at least where I noticed the light was flashing red after only about 100 - 200 shots. Have changed the battery 3 times.

Or could it possibly be something with the QEPH, which might be more to the issue that it is not cycling paint into the chamber quickly enough, I know it cycles air more efficiently, at least what I have read, not entirely sure what this effects though.

Sorry for the book, I am going to the pro shop tomorrow to get an opinion from them and also purchase a spring kit and give that a try. But I would like to get an opinion from anyone that has experience on the A5 or a similar setup, any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,000 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:48 AM

Did any other main springs come with the Zero-kick hammer? I'm still not sure if it's too much tension, my e-grip does fine with the stock A5 spring. Also, I believe TechT now ships the new hammers with a stronger mainspring. This is to overcome the reduction in opening force on the valve from the hammer. A smaller mass requires a larger force to open the valve the same as a higher mass with smaller force. When you installed the new hammer, did the velocity change at all?

Draining batteries after only 100-200 shots definitely sounds like a symptom of the main problem, which sounds like a board issue.

As for the breaking paint, that may be due to the QEPH. It doesn't act more efficiently, rather what happens as soon as the air pulse that pushes the piston forwards reaches the exhaust holes, it can vent. This means that only the momentum of the moving piston continues to move forwards all the way, and it is free to retract as soon as the spring force overcomes the momentum, rather than waiting for the power pulse from the air to reduce enough to allow it to retract. Also, the exhaust holes allow it to close much faster without a cushion of trapped air being forced back through the piston housing, which means faster spinning cyclone arms. Even with squishy paddles, the paint is still being thrown into the breech harder than it was with the stock piston housing. So basically the QEPH is cycling the paint fast enough, possibly even too fast.

Overall I think the board in the e-grip is bad, and maybe try the stock piston housing with all the other parts and see if anything changes.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 21 August 2014 - 12:50 AM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#3 btbam006

btbam006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

Another spring did come with the zero kick hammer. That was when it was the worst, I swapped it back over to the stock hammer and spring and it helped a little bit, but was still skipping shots and not releasing the rear bolt. I honestly did not get enough test shots though using the zero kick hammer and spring to determine if that was actually an issue or not, as I was still having issues even with the stock hammer. I will have them possibly swap out the e grip tomorrow if they have another one, and see how that works, hopefully no more issues after that. If that doesn't fix it, I will try different springs and possibly try putting the stock piston housing back on to see if that makes any changes.

Thanks so much for the info on all of this, especially the QEPH, that makes perfect sense to me now, just allows the air to vent rather than create a back pressure, preventing it from cycling as fast as it could. I will get back with some updates as soon as I get them! Hopefully this is fixed by next weekend so I can go out and play!

#4 btbam006

btbam006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

So i wanted to reply so everyone is updated and hopefully this may help someone else down the line with a similar issue. I went to my friends shop to work on the gun this morning. Swapped out triggers to the factory mechanical trigger, but left everything else in. Shot the gun, fired perfect, not a single issue. Put the egrip back in, to double check, back to the same issues, balls breaking, misfiring, etc... Decided to try to tune it a bit, uped the dwell to 12 thinking that might fix the misfiring, it did somewhat, but now I had a new issue, multiple shots. Tried the second option, cant remember the name, but basically time between recognized trigger pulls, uped that a bit, didn't help at all, by this time, the other new battery, blinking red.

Gave up and decided I would much rather rely on a hefty mechanical trigger than some electric board already giving me issues and batteries. Luckily I was able to return the trigger, no questions asked, I ordered a TechT Fang trigger setup, a tippmann parts replaceent kit (one bolt was stripping so just preparing!) Also, some cosmetic stuff, a rail adapter and going to install a red dot and flashlight (MP5 look).

Thanks again for the advice andrewthewookie! Very much appreciated! Only concern I still have and cant determine if it's even an issue quite yet is if the QEPH is double loading the barrel or not, I will find out soon enough though!

#5 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,000 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:45 AM

Good to see you at least have a reliable gun now. I can't see how the Cyclone is able to double feed, upgrades or not though. The design makes it impossible to feed more than one paintball per cycle of the system, unless the paddles are somehow rotating past what the ratchet system does when it cycles. It could be that the speed of the paddles is enough to get them to overcome the spring in the ratchet so they keep rotating even though it's not moving the paddles. An easy way to test this is to take the hopper off and just fire it a bunch and see if the paddles are actually moving only one time per shot, or if they're slipping and rotating more than they should.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#6 btbam006

btbam006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

Well, they are brand new and they fit very tightly, couldn't imagine them slipping, so it must've just been some bad paint. I am extremely happy it's all fixed now and I can go play! Thanks again for all the help!

#7 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Is the magnet for the egrip there?

Make sure you don't torque the casing too tight. The screws should be snug but not tightly screwed in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tippmann, a5, techt, misfire, egrip

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users