12 replies to this topic

#1 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hi guys, it's coming up to the point where I need to start figuring out what car I need to save for.

I snowboard, so I will be driving on snowy roads quite a bit.

I do not want a little car, I want a pickup truck/jeep/hummer type car. Something that will go through anything, while still being cool and aggressive.

I talked to my dad. Jeeps don't drop in value much, so they will be pretty expensive. Hummers (h3 or h3t only) are hard to find and therefore also expensive. Trucks on the other hand can be had for very cheap. Problem is, my dad said to stay away from anything over 8 years old when looking at trucks, because they have leaf suspensions which tend to sag and die a bit when they get older.

So what do you guys think? What's a nice first car to look at? What would you be looking at if you were in my position?

Thanks!
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#2 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

the whole leaf suspension thing on trucks over 8 years old is a little irrational thinking in my opinion. I've driven trucks with leafs that are hitting 15 years old and they are fine for me. 

Jeep cherokees are great, and can be had cheap, and they are tanks. Not a truck, but it does the job. 

I drove a toyota 22re around till she died, because the previous owner sucked at putting the motor back together, and it was a great little truck, about 20 mpg, but power was lacking, you wouldn't want to pull anything. 

1st generation tacomas and t100s are great, I'd stay away from anything newer though, older yotas are beasts.

Right now i have a 1984 ranger v6, and it is my favorite truck i've had, parts are dirt cheap, and it always starts up. 

For larger trucks, chevy 1500s are nice, depending on the year, and can be gotten for really cheap. 

There's also the little geo tracker/suzuki samuri, they are a little 1.6 liter motor, get about 30mpg and will go through a swamp like a muskrat. My buddy has one that is lifted and has 33s, super sweet little rig, goes everywhere you'd want it, just don't put a fat kid in it. 

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,997 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

forfun2.jpg

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#4 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Ya, I thought the same about leaf suspensions, I just don't want it to die out on me. I plan on getting something I will drive for a while without issue. Good gas consumption would be great, but anything over say 15 mpg city/17 mpg highway should be fine, as it will mainly be driving around town, which for me is like a diameter of maybe 3 miles.

I kind of like older tacomas, yet I also like the comfort a bigger truck gives you in terms of interior space, especially since I'm a pretty big guy
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#5 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'm 6'1 and my yota fit me nicely, but some tacomas seem small with bucket seats. How old of a vehicle are you looking at getting? and whats your budget?

#6 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

Well age wise, nothing over ~10 years old. Price range? Probably around $6-8000

#7 -Taz-

-Taz-

Mahna Mahna!

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

In Oregon half of the boarders driver subarus up to the mountain year round. Better mpg than most 4x4s that are around the same price

I personally like 4.0L Cherokees because they are practically wranglers without a removable top. You can do so much to those trucks, and the engine is bulletproof
Don't Be A Chump! Buy a Pump!

"Oh my god! Zombie Horses! We'd be fucked!"

#8 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:00 AM

4.0 comanchees make me moist. 

But jeep did an awesome job with their inline 6 4.0s, they are tough as nails. My girlfriend's mom has one, has 208k on it, drove it about 90miles with the motor overheated and it still runs fine, for now atleast.

6-8k though, that's alot. Wranglers are sweet, but at that point, get whatever looks cool, aside from nissan :dodgy:

Edited by Klub, 08 September 2014 - 02:02 AM.

#9 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

Lol i'd rather have a bronco, you'll plow through pretty much anything. If you really want a jeep just look around man because when they're cheap, they're CHEAP. If you really want a pick up though, look at a 4 x 4 ranger super cab. Or even a RAM long bed, rams are cheaper than the f series and silverados and aren't at all bad.

A first car should be a cheap piece of shit so if you're thinking of Subaru's, think twice because you can get a DSM (eagles, eclipses, etc) for much less and get much more for your money. An AWD eagle talon tsi turboed will run you around 4-5 k and has parts readily available, not to mention the DSM community is very much alive. You also save on insurance because technically it is an domestic even though its pretty much a rebadged eclipse and..... BOOOOOOOOSSSSTTTTT

TurboChargeLogo.gif

Edited by Jawz, 08 September 2014 - 06:24 PM.

109.gif

#10 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Ya, I may just go with a Cherokee or jeep. I like both jeeps and trucks equally so I think I will go with one of them. At my price point, I'm kind of leaning towards a jeep simply because a newer style truck (less wear on that leaf suspension will run me more than I think I can afford, but I will look around and see

#11 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

But you get no respect points in a GC lol, has to be a wrangler or maybe a liberty haha, I actually drove a Cherokee today and it wasn't bad! Only thing that annoyed me was how much you had to sink the peddle in when reversing other than that it was nice :D
109.gif

#12 -Taz-

-Taz-

Mahna Mahna!

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:23 PM

You lose respect points in a liberty, they are almost as bad as (not exactly 4x4) 4x4 Patriots. They are shitty compact "SUV's" that are garbage. Any ZJ or WJ Grand, which i believe is 92-05 are the way to go. 06 and later have Active 4wd which is utter garbage because you can't lock it in high, only low

Watch out on older cherokees, because if I remember right they have leafs that are prone to sagging in the back. We haven't had a cherokee in for a few weeks so my memory is a tad fuzzy

Edit: Random note: I work at a Mopar Dealership and can tell you every issue to look out for with whatever setup you choose. Throw me a PM if you get a Jeep and I'll hook you up with some Mopar filters.

Edited by -Taz-, 11 September 2014 - 11:29 PM.

Don't Be A Chump! Buy a Pump!

"Oh my god! Zombie Horses! We'd be fucked!"

#13 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Liberty has some respect at least in and around where I live because of their performance in snow, it's just fantastic.

Random response: Mopar
Move
Over
Pontiacs
Are
Racing
109.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users