• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Colter

Colter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

Teflon Tape Mod for the Sail O-ring on the Threshold and G3 marker.

This mod is for anyone that is having problems with bolt cycling issues with EITHER the Threshold and G3 due to the Sail O-ring.

I got fed up with replacing the none standard O-ring (#3 Sail O-ring) on the bolt of my Threshold. First I was going to try and find my own source online, to the none standard O-ring. Rottensquad (on the other pb site) was kind enough to give me the size that DP uses for the Sail O-ring. Unfortunately I found out that this none standard O-ring to be difficult to locate. I was about to replace it with a 2 x 16mm O-ring as that's just slightly bigger than the stock and would be a usable substitute.
I tried a 2 x 16mm O-ring, I just so happen to have, and wal-la. Fixed my bolt cycling problem. The problem was, that the bolt had tons of friction when cycling it. This would decrease the efficiency and possibly increase the heat created when cycling do to excessive friction. I didn't like the feel at all when cycling it by hand.

SO I tried what I'm going to give you directions to. Seals better than the stock oring with less friction than the 2 x 16mm oring. IMO it's the best of both worlds using what most people have readily available to them in there toolboxes.

First here's the O-rings side by side.
Left is 2 x 16mm
Center is Stock DP O-ring (old worn one)
Right is tank buna 70 duro
Posted Image
Here's how the bolts would look with the orings on them.
2x16mm
Posted Image
Stock (used and worn)
Posted Image
Tank without Teflon tape
Posted Image
Here's what you need. I didn't include the pic of the Tank O-ring, but that is what you will be using to put on the bolt after.
Posted Image
Wrap the Teflon tape so that the width of it goes completely into the slot. Helps to turn it sideways as in the pic.
Posted Image
Wrap only 2x and cut it.
Posted Image
This is what it should look like.
Posted Image
Put the Tank O-ring back on.
You can see how much the tank O-ring has stretched and protrudes.
Posted Image
Lube and your done. Doesn't matter what lube you use. Just use what you have.
Posted Image

You can do this with the stock O-ring in a pinch at the field. Just wrap the Teflon 1x instead of 2x.

The oring will hold the Teflon Tape in place. I have tried the mod and shot quite a few cases through it with no problems at all. Teflon Tape was still in the same place with no signs of coming out.
If you cycle your bolt by hand you will feel slightly more resistance than the stock O-ring, but not a lot. If there is too much friction, take some of the Teflon off of the bolt and then recheck how it feels when cycling.

This is suggested as a quick fix at the field if you don't have a replacement oring. The 2 x 16mm oring Oring Monkey uses would be a more dependable substitute than the stock sail oring. If the teflon does unravel it could be because you over pressurized it a bit. Redo the mod or replace the oring with the stock or 2 x 16mm oring. Don't play with it if it starts to unravel. Another substitue oring is a 2 x 15mm oring. Oring Monkey used these orings in his initial kits for the Threshold. Since then I've been told that he uses 2 x 16mm now. Just an FYI.

#2 vibee

vibee

Fuckin' Smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

I did this but not like wut u did it for. I used it for my ref b/c the oring i used was to small and I put telflon tape on it and it works great now. i guess thanks!

#3 StandingCow

StandingCow

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

Just curious, but isn't that too much lube? Aren't you just supposed to lube the orings? Not the actual bolt itself?
DP G3
A-5 w/flatline
http://www.techpb.co...w...=16685&st=0 <- Donate to Punk Works for high FPS camera!

#4 meMYSELFnI

meMYSELFnI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:30 AM

Nope. Nope. Nope.
That part of the bolt is suppose to be lubed on the G3 and the Threshold. It's the portion that makes contact with the internal oring in the body. If you don't lube that part of the bolt, the oring inside the body will wear down faster and could case a leak down the barrel.

You can see I just have a film on the bolt surface. It's not gobbed on.

#5 StandingCow

StandingCow

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

Nope. Nope. Nope.
That part of the bolt is suppose to be lubed on the G3 and the Threshold. It's the portion that makes contact with the internal oring in the body. If you don't lube that part of the bolt, the oring inside the body will wear down faster and could case a leak down the barrel.

You can see I just have a film on the bolt surface. It's not gobbed on.

Cool, thanks for the info. :)
DP G3
A-5 w/flatline
http://www.techpb.co...w...=16685&st=0 <- Donate to Punk Works for high FPS camera!

#6 Ringwraith

Ringwraith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

Your a GENIUS! hahahaah That fix worked like a charm on my stock oring when it puffed! 1 wrap and it was back to life! Oh, and got your springs..will check em this weekend to see if I can get a fix on the run away trigger APE board issue. You are a GOD in the DP realm my friend. I wil name all of my children memyselfandi, even the girls. (wink)

#7 Oakley9

Oakley9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

couldnt u just use one of the extra o rings they give u??? (im new, be nice)
George Mason Paintball
Clone VX F/S/T

#8 meMYSELFnI

meMYSELFnI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

Your a GENIUS! hahahaah That fix worked like a charm on my stock oring when it puffed! 1 wrap and it was back to life! Oh, and got your springs..will check em this weekend to see if I can get a fix on the run away trigger APE board issue. You are a GOD in the DP realm my friend. I wil name all of my children memyselfandi, even the girls. (wink)

lol
Man,I sure hope you don't or I wouldn't be the only one with that name. lol

Glad you got the springs. I think I put the one I cut in there. Slightly larger dia on the springs but you might be able to make them 1 work for your problem. Also check out my fusion thread in my sig on the other forum to see how I did the valve spring. So far it's working great with the eigenram. Reduced kick, but also efficiency. Oh well. Can't have everything.

couldnt u just use one of the extra o rings they give u??? (im new, be nice)

I think one of the orings is the sail oring, but they are prone to wear out quickly and your bolt will stop cycling. If that happens this is a quick fix that will allow you to keep playing.

Edited by meMYSELFnI, 13 January 2009 - 01:50 AM.

#9 meMYSELFnI

meMYSELFnI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:33 PM

This mod will still work for the G3 and the Revi if you have the puff puff from your grip frame.

BTW if you think that this and my other tutorial should be stickied, voice it and even PM a mod to get it done.
I made these to help people. If you think they're worth keeping please post "Sticky", if not I'll let this die again.

Edited by meMYSELFnI, 21 November 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#10 chewiestmonkey

chewiestmonkey

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:08 AM

This Helped me a ton. Got the puff puff, looked here, tefloned that oring, and bam- it worked!
deffinatly should be stickied!
My BST feedback thread: http://www.techpb.co...&mode=show&st=0
If you'r too busy getting even, you will never get ahead.

#11 CrazyLittle

CrazyLittle

That's 65% more bullet, per bullet.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,117 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:23 AM

Agreed. This is a very good quick-fix.

Feedback | Everything you need to know about Loctite | I have too many guns to list. Click here to see them.
Posted Image
PrometheanFlame - If I had to pick one of us to survive the rapture/nuclear apocalypse, I'd choose you.

#12 nando729

nando729

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

Great information. my G3 is having that same problem and im about to send it in but, i was wondering if i were to just purchase solve the techt engine bolt would it solve my problem. Thanks -nando729-

#13 250 cal pntball

250 cal pntball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

or u could of used dow 55 which causes the orings to swell slightly enough to make a better seal

I play anything.

My setup ~ Dangerous Power Revi with a Techt bolt, 68 4500 empire tank, Dye Rotor, Dye I4s with amber and mirror lense, valken redemption pants, Empire 2012 Contact Jersey, Nike Cleats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users