#1 XPB

XPB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

Written By Sacintimidator06

http://www.camerahob...m/EBook-TOC.htm
Photography "e-book" to get you all started.

Q: "I want to get a camera but don't want to spend so much on a DSLR or an SLR, what point and shoot should I get?"
A: We need to know your budget! Without that, we don;t know what to tell you. I'd go with the Nikon Coolpix series, but I'm biased since Im still in love with my 3200. Please, don't make a thread asking this question, just post it in here and we'll answer it.

Q: "I want a lens, but don't know which to get! Help!"
A: Tell us your budget, and what you want to shoot. If you want to shoot wildlife or sports, I suggest getting a zoom telephoto lens. Look around other forums and maybe go to your town's Photography Club(if you have one) and ask some pro's for their opinion. 200mm is sometimes too long for portraits yet too short for wildlife... but, for landscape shots, 200mm can be wonderful to work with, providing the perfect range. 50-60mm macro lenses are the most cost effective but also the most restrictive. Their performance for general subjects is somewhat limited as their qualities have been set up for real close focusing and not for infinity focusing that normal lenses excel at.

Post all of your questions concerning cameras and/or photography in here and we will do our best to answer them.

Check back a few pages before you post a new question to see if it has already been answered. Chances are it will have been answered at least a couple of times.

#2 Grammaton

Grammaton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

hello I am an amature who has taken two photography classes one in high school and another in college and love it as a hobby however am not considering become a fully professional photographer. I am looking at getting a digital slr in the upcomming months and was wondering what your opinions were on the Nikon D80, is this camera enough of a step above the D60 to make it worth the extra money?

#3 chad

chad

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:39 PM

d80 is much better than the d60. but honestly, i would go with the d70. cheaper, unlimited flash sync, better than the d60 and cheaper i believe.

#4 STEED

STEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

If you're not (thanks Chad) looking to go pro, the D60 is enough for the average ameture, high-end consumer, above the D60 you have the D80 and now D90. If you consider yourself a "prosumer" (high end goods) the D90 is ideal. It has resolution that will keep you happy for the life of the camera, it's fast, versitile and easy to use with loads of accessories. If you're looking for a well rounded camera that gives you solid control the D60 will also keep you happy for years, is light weight and very user friendly. Nikons hold good value and this generation has alot of cool accessories that the D70 didn't (that's what I have and I feel left out)...

The D70 and D70s are out of production, the D80 replaced it and having tested a D90, I say go with that, it's fast, takes great pictures, has options the D70/s doesn't and is solid in your hands.

For the record the D700 is the best camera I've ever held, I cried inside putting down...
Reflex Photography
Providing Quality Service to Fields & Teams

#5 chad

chad

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

he said he does not want to go pro.

#6 STEED

STEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

Damn ADD... 1 sec... Fixy
Reflex Photography

#7 JU993RNAUT

JU993RNAUT

Terminally Chill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

i have a nikkon coolpix now but i hope to get a dslr soon
right now im in a photography class at my school
ball me blazer

#8 chad

chad

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

haha steed i wasnt trying to be a ignorant, just in case it came off that way. and yes, for the record, d700>life.

#9 paintballa87

paintballa87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

i have a camera and whenever i take pics it seems to be shaky in the pic,like the pic blures
idk what it is cause its a great camera
Setup: custom closer white and purple
velocity
got a crossfire 48/4500
white events

#10 chad

chad

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

put your shutter speed up.

#11 RTodd

RTodd

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

Go for the D80. I bought mine earlier this year and love it. I have been into photography for about twenty years (hobby).

#12 RTodd

RTodd

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

Can anyone tell me the best way to protect my camera and lens on the paintball field.

#13 chad

chad

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

you can get a camera rain cover to protect from splatter. but from actually getting hit, i am not too sure.

#14 STEED

STEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

There are rubber cases and rain covers but both seriously effect the use of the camera. Most higher quality DSLR have seals that protect most of the openings, the most vulnerable areas are the mount and back side, only a rain cover will protect them but not from a direct shot where the pressure could cause damage. Best thing you can do for your camera to protect it, quality insurance.
Reflex Photography

#15 Grammaton

Grammaton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

thanks guys, ya i do consider myself the "prosumer" ill never do it for a living to make a d700 worth the money to me but the d80 is somethin ive looked long and hard at...hadnt really looked into the d90 ill have to check that out. Thanks for the advice it was just what i was looking for.

#16 chad

chad

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

if its between the d80 and d90. the d90 rips it to shreds. but my friend has a d80 and i love it. its a great camera. and not too expensive.

#17 STEED

STEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

I'm almost positive the D90 is the D80 succesor but we'll to wait till next year to see if the 80 is put down.
Reflex Photography

#18 Captain Hollywood

Captain Hollywood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

Good Thread, I will hopefully be doing a "Tip of the week" Kinda thing for this..

#19 justin l

justin l

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

im have about $400 to spend and im looking for a dslr. I've used a 35mm slr for a while now and just want to go digital.

#20 Playonpics.com

Playonpics.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:14 AM

Sadly with a lower price range your better to save up some more. You can look at photography-on-the.net for a used Canon XT and get a 75-300mm lens. It would be a great starter. Myself the Canon XT was my starter body. Used you can probably get the body for 250-300 and then the lens about 150 or so.
Really i would save up abit more tho.

#21 core423

core423

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

intrested in photography and want to do professional style photos at local fields.
What type of camera do you reccomend?
Best price and quality?
Something moderate for price and quality?

#22 ryan_m

ryan_m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

intrested in photography and want to do professional style photos at local fields.
What type of camera do you reccomend?
Best price and quality?
Something moderate for price and quality?

there is really no cheap way of getting high quality photos. you should get a dslr it doesnt matter if its canon or nikon, its all personal preference. as for quality, the most important thing about picture quality is the lens, you get what you pay for.

#23 Playonpics.com

Playonpics.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

Tell us your budget and maybe we can help out from there.

#24 core423

core423

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

budget is about between 250-500

#25 STEED

STEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

Ok, to keep it short, drop the $250 and your in the super low end range. $500-$600 will get you a decent DSLR with a not so decent lens. Unfortunately DSLR is cheaper and yet not as cheap as 35mm. My field kit is roughly just under $2k and that's dirt freakin cheap in the "Pro" realm.
Reflex Photography

#26 core423

core423

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

then its time to start saving :P

is there a company you like the most?

#27 STEED

STEED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

Personally I like Nikon, selection is reasonable, great lenses and quality. The biggest thing when buying an DSLR or any highend photography gear is how you like it in your hands. With digital you have to be able to use the camera and its features on the fly, especially in paintball.
Reflex Photography

#28 Playonpics.com

Playonpics.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

Go CANON! hahah. Um really though. My first setup was a Canon XT n a 70-200mm F/4L
You can get a nice USED setup for really cheap. I wouldn't if i were u for your first setup go used since your so low on funds.
Canon Xt or XTi is about 300 or so used and then the lens above 450$
Your looking around 900$, with memory cards and shipping for a decent setup.

#29 JackPalombo

JackPalombo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

Deff go canon. I went Nikon first and now im making the switch to canon at the moment.

#30 core423

core423

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

is an upgraded lense a neccessity when getting Cannon Xti or can i wait a little?

#31 Playonpics.com

Playonpics.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:01 AM

Depends, are you just getting the one 18-55? and what are you shooting? like are you doing sports or just random crap? If sports then yes you will need something more... like say the 75-300...

#32 Mike Deep

Mike Deep

The Fun Machine Took a Shit & Died

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:57 AM

18-55 IS, Sigma 24-60 are good budget standard zooms. 55-250 IS, used 70-210 USM, Sigma 70-300 APO are all good budget telephotos.

Adorama's selling refurb 30D's for $575 right now... Much better deal there than any of the Rebels.

#33 core423

core423

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

will be for sport

Is there a Website you guys prefer to buy from?

#34 Playonpics.com

Playonpics.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

photography-on-the.net for used stuff

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ for new

#35 Mike Deep

Mike Deep

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

Also

http://www.adorama.com/

and

http://www.keh.com/

#36 katspix

katspix

KATSPIX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:10 AM

i have a camera and whenever i take pics it seems to be shaky in the pic,like the pic blures
idk what it is cause its a great camera

What type of camera are you shooting with?

Can anyone tell me the best way to protect my camera and lens on the paintball field.

There is no perfect way to protect your camera and lens~paint splatters and gets into the smallest of places~
I use body armor to protect the lens~an arm band at the base of the lens where it meets the camera body~I then wrap a bandana around the lens~down far enough that it doesn't interfere with my ability to zoom~

I hope this helps a little~
:)Kat
<a href="http://www.katspix.com/" target="_blank"><sup><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro--><div align='left'></a><a href="http://www.paintballx3.com" target="_blank"><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#00ff00--><span style="color:#00ff00"><!--/coloro-->www.paintballx3.com<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></a></div><div align='left'><a href="http://www.katspix.com/" target="_blank"><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro-->www.katspix.com<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></a></div><div align='left'><!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro--><!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro--><!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro--><a href="http://www.myspace.com/katspix" target="_blank"><!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro--><!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro-->WANNA BE MYSPACE FRIENDS??<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></div></a><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

#37 theoflow

theoflow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

For sports you pretty much need to get a DSLR. Regardless of whether you look at the various manufactures, you have to know that when you buy a camera, your really BUYING INTO THE LENS SYSTEM of that company.

DSLR's were created so you can change lenses. And guess what, the lenses cost more than half the cameras out on the market so you have to be careful about what you want. At professional events, those big white Canon lenses you see on the sidelines? They are about 2 grand and up. Nikon is as expensive if not more. There are 3rd party companies that do make lenses for less so you have to look at the lens offerings to see what you really want. Ideally you want something more than 200mm at the very least. You could get some teleconverters to add a bit more zoom, but there is a minor sacrifice in image quality and autofocus capability.

Here are some generalizations about the cameras out there:

Canon & Nikon dominate, be it from marketing hype and advertising dollars but they have been in the game for decades. It isn't all fluff since generally both companies have excellent image quality throughout their product range. The Canon EOS 1D series has been a pinnacle of sports photography for quite a while and is built like a tank. The new Nikon D300, D700, and D3 have been dominating in recent months though. Bad thing is you have to pay for it all, the lowest camera here starts at $2000 just for the body.

Sony, new to the DSLR game they are making great strides but their lens system isn't really in place yet to compete with the big two. HOWEVER, the majority of image sensors found in your point and shoot cameras as well as Nikon DSLR's are made by Sony. Their a350 is pretty awesome for people transitioning from point and shoots to DSLRs.

Olympus. This might apply greatly for paintball since Olympus DSLRs are VERY weather proof. They also make a sensor debris removal system that works.

I think someone asked about how to protect a camera on a field? I've never done it but they make a thick custom rubber skin called camera armor that people like, although I would still drape a thick canvas sheet over the camera. I think taking 2 hours of your time you could make one that works pretty well.

Do yourself a favor and get a lens filter so you don't ruin your new equipment as well.

Hope this helps and I'll try to answer any questions if needed.

BTW....better camera equipment does not make you a better photographer. If you suck with a $300 camera, your going to suck with a $8,000 camera. Paraphrased from Mike.
Gotta pay to play

#38 Mike Deep

Mike Deep

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

FWIW Sony has the Konica Minolta pedigree and lens catalog to back it up, so make sure to take that into consideration when looking at Sony.

#39 theoflow

theoflow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:26 PM

I forgot to mention that part about Minolta lenses working on Sony alphas. I don't have any first hand experience with that, but aren't they a little expensive relative to performance? I could be wrong.
Gotta pay to play

#40 BobLong

BobLong

Fracture

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:10 PM

so i have an ok camera at the moment and im just wondering if this any tips or tricks to take better pictures or is it just practice practice practice
B and E paintball supplies
bob long closer
Fracture paintball team

#41 Johnny G

Johnny G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:26 PM

i take it you go to X from you pics there all great to man good job

#42 theoflow

theoflow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:15 PM

so i have an ok camera at the moment and im just wondering if this any tips or tricks to take better pictures or is it just practice practice practice

Yeah man. It really is all about practice.

If your not doing this already, DO NOT use any of the automatic settings. Try staying in the Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority settings. For sports photography, your mainly going to be concerned with the shutter priority since you need to freeze the action. That said, don't limit yourself to just sports photography because. You need to work on the concepts of how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings all effect one another.
Gotta pay to play

#43 justin l

justin l

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

is this a good deal? thanks in advance

"$475 firm or $365 without the lens.....Excellent condition NIKON D70 autofocus DX digital SLR camera body with built-in pop-up flash, battery, charger, USB cable, body cap and memory card plus autofocus Nikon / Nikkor DX 18-55mm G ED lens (including front/rear caps). Also, I have a spare new-in-the-box Nikon battery that would cost $90.39 (Nikon battery model EN-EL3a lists for $79.99 plus taxes) at the camera store and you can have that with the camera for another $30 (you really should have a spare battery). You could also take this camera with a Nikon 28-70mm lens at an additional cost instead of the 28-55mm lens listed here.

Camera has only 5679 shutter actuations, so it has seen very little use and works perfectly ( I really like this camera and have another one that I plan to keep, I just want to replace this one with another model). Warranty on the camera body until late November (warranty is supplied and supported by camera store that sold this to me as a used unit). I have a couple other lenses here that you can also try out and we can display test shots on my PC. $475 firm or $365 without the lens. "

#44 Mike Deep

Mike Deep

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Skip that... Took a quick look at KEH.com, they have EX-condition D70 bodies for $200-250 and a LN-condition 18-55 G II for $80. KEH grades conservatively too so when they say excellent condition, it's more like mint.

#45 griefer1

griefer1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

is there such thing as HD pictures ? is that what DSLR cameras use to get such good pics? is there a point and shoot that can take HD pics and would it be a good camera for personal paintball pics ? thanks

Images used in signatures are to be less than Width of 600px, and height of 160px. Only ONE image is aloud in the signature, and it must be 30k or less. Only 5 lines of text are aloud. No text larger then size 2 is allowed in the signature.

IGNORE THIS WARNING AGAIN YOU WILL RECIEVE A 5 DAY HOLIDAY FROM TECHPB

#46 HKA

HKA

Image Creator

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

is this a good deal? thanks in advance

"$475 firm or $365 without the lens.....Excellent condition NIKON D70 autofocus DX digital SLR camera body with built-in pop-up flash, battery, charger, USB cable, body cap and memory card plus autofocus Nikon / Nikkor DX 18-55mm G ED lens (including front/rear caps). Also, I have a spare new-in-the-box Nikon battery that would cost $90.39 (Nikon battery model EN-EL3a lists for $79.99 plus taxes) at the camera store and you can have that with the camera for another $30 (you really should have a spare battery). You could also take this camera with a Nikon 28-70mm lens at an additional cost instead of the 28-55mm lens listed here.

Camera has only 5679 shutter actuations, so it has seen very little use and works perfectly ( I really like this camera and have another one that I plan to keep, I just want to replace this one with another model). Warranty on the camera body until late November (warranty is supplied and supported by camera store that sold this to me as a used unit). I have a couple other lenses here that you can also try out and we can display test shots on my PC. $475 firm or $365 without the lens. "

Thats a bit much Try ebay or craigslist they tend to have the best deals. I.E on ebay you can get a d70 for around 200 and get a decent glass for another 200-300 so IMO it's better to doit like that.

I take pictures and stuff.

#47 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:47 AM

Hey, I am a photography enthusiast and I have had Photography as a hobby for about a year now and have been borrowing my friends Nikon D60x. I want to buy my own camera, and I have been looking at the Nikon D70s or D70. I was wondering if that would be an appropriate camera for me, I am looking forward to shooting Scenic pictures and occasional wildlife. My budget is anywhere up to 400 USD. If you have any other questions that would improve feedback, please ask. Thanks.
*Sig under construction*

#48 HKA

HKA

Image Creator

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

The D70 would be a great camera. Cause they are not very expensive easy to use and have a great feuture which is autofocus built into the body so you can autofocus with non autofocus lenses.

I take pictures and stuff.

#49 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:44 PM

Now I'm edging on the side of getting a D60, this would be the make up I could buy from Amazon.com for 500$(Including Shipping) Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens. Do you think that would be a good choice.
*Sig under construction*

#50 Playonpics.com

Playonpics.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:08 PM

18-55 is crap for sports

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)