• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy_James

Jimmy_James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:01 PM

Hey i am new to paintball, i have only played onece before but i was hooked and started looking into doing it more often i got in tuch with the guy from my local field and he got me hooked up with a team (kindof). This is where i am hesatating i want to get into speedball or airball not woodsball but everone says do woodsball before speedball. I was going to go all out with the PMR crossfire and viewloader (along with all the other stuff which adds up a bit) i am going to pay for it with my birthday/cristmas money and presents what is everyones onpinon on this.

Images used in signatures are to be less than Width of 600px, and height of 160px. Only ONE image is aloud in the signature, and it must be 30k or less. Only 5 lines of text are aloud. No text larger then size 2 is allowed in the signature.

#2 Tunderwood

Tunderwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hey i am new to paintball, i have only played onece before but i was hooked and started looking into doing it more often i got in tuch with the guy from my local field and he got me hooked up with a team (kindof). This is where i am hesatating i want to get into speedball or airball not woodsball but everone says do woodsball before speedball. I was going to go all out with the PMR crossfire and viewloader (along with all the other stuff which adds up a bit) i am going to pay for it with my birthday/cristmas money and presents what is everyones onpinon on this.

Go with what YOU want to do , You don't need a "Woodsball gun" to play woodsball. Guns are guns so long as it shoots decently and is reliable. I personally started out about 7 Months ago with a PMR and an Egg3 and a basic steely tank playing with Tournament players becuase who my firends were and I wanted to play with them, you learn very quickly ;) .

The PMR is a very solid gun to start with, I've never had a major issue with it except for maybe an Oring here or there. They shoot solid and the Hyper2 is a very good regulator, Some complain about the trigger or the back cap but it's just like any other thing use it long enough and you get used to it. The back cap you just have to be gentle with I had my rail for 6 months before stripping out the back cap.

Go to your pro shop and choose a gun that you like, Welcome to the sport!

Edit: I misread the first part of your post like the idiot that I am, But i'll leave the part about woodsball in there.

#3 jake is teh best

jake is teh best

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

Just do what you like best, if you like woodsball do woodsball and if you like speedball do speedball. Try them both before you say you dont like one. Btw it doesnt really matter what gun you get as long as you know how to use it, but in tournaments you want a gun that can atleast shoot 13 bps(balls per second) but remember its not the gun that makes the player good its the player who makes himself good.

#4 Senio

Senio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:38 PM

Alright, first off. this is my opinion but im sure many people will agree here. Woodsball is not even close to similar in how they are both played. i think that a woodsball player that life for that game would probably not be good at speedball just because its not te same environment. moving on now, an offer to join a team (im guessing they are also new players like you) when you are a new player is a good thing this shows that these guys will not judge you based on being a new player, and that is a very good thing, and you will notice that this sport is full of people who think they are at the absolute best and nobody can knock them off their cloud. but let me tell you do not listen to those people who call you a noob or say ohh you suck, or w/e just because your a new player, because those are usually the people that you will be owning in the very near future as you progress through the sport.

i think im gonna make you fall asleep with how much i wrote but just some helpful tips from my previous experiences.

#5 kyle42

kyle42

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

I say you should play both and see which you like best. also join that team, it will give you a group of people to play with and progress through the sport with.

also, dont be afraid to ask questions. most players will help you out and give you tips as long as you dont act like you know everything and arent a jerk.

welcome to the sport.

#6 Biohazard

Biohazard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

Like people said before me do what you want to do. Have you played woodsball before? Play both a few times and then keep playing the one which you enjoy most.

As for your marker..The Rail is a great marker to begin with. I know because I have one. The only real problem that I had was I rounded out the backcap and had to get a metal one. There are some very minor problems that you might get when you first get it but once you work them out its a fantastic marker.

For example for me it was figuring out why the bolt wasn't cycling the whole way. I found out that in fact you have to screw the tank in another 3/4 turn after you hear the gas enter the gun. Little things like that.

IMO if your looking to get serious about Paintball then I would head towards speedball. It's up to you though.

The crossfire tank is also excellent. What size are you looking at getting? I recomend a 68ci/4500psi.

Also get a good loader; one that can feed at least 15bps. If your looking at viewloader I recommend a Vlocity or Vlocity JR..

But in the end its up to you. Don't let other people to tell you what to play.

#7 kyle42

kyle42

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

But in the end its up to you. Don't let other people to tell you what to play.

Agreed, almost everything in paintball is personal preferance.

#8 Jimmy_James

Jimmy_James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:39 AM

ok thanks guys i will post up what i am going to buy in a new thread so have a look and tell me what you think

Images used in signatures are to be less than Width of 600px, and height of 160px. Only ONE image is aloud in the signature, and it must be 30k or less. Only 5 lines of text are aloud. No text larger then size 2 is allowed in the signature.

#9 egoshoot323

egoshoot323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:17 PM

ok wait for the 09 pmr it will blow ur mind seen pics gunna be like a dm6 so wait for that if ur geting a pmr comes stock with ul and all that nice stuff

Canadian baller representing BC

#10 brettstenberg

brettstenberg

i pay for paintball and im under 18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

well judging by your post it seems you have only gone pbing once and you want to spent a shit load on gear. you really dont need to. go rent a couple more times see if you REALLY want to play then go buy the gear but hold off on goin out and spending 400$ on a gun

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!!! i"m not some 10 year old kid that make stupid videos about how fast i can shoot my gun I actually make good quality videos
so please click this link and subscribe

http://www.youtube.c...r/brettstenberg

#11 Belanger

Belanger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:44 PM

Okay, I know a lot of people say to get the rail, but you're gonna end up spending money on upgrades a little later. Get an F7 (Dangerous Power Fusion). You'll never need an upgrade and maintenence is simple. It's around the same price but beats the pmr until its upgraded. Make sure you invest in a decent mask you would be suprised by the difference. Try to find a carbon fibre tank on sale somewhere, if you cant just get a steel one but make sure you go HPA! Buy a hopper that can keep up with your gun. Buy a pack that fits comfortably and holds atleast 3 pods vertically. Most of all don't fall into the great money hole that is the Ion. You'll end up spending more on upgrades then you did on the gear itself.
PRINCE GEORGE TITANS!
I DO GRAPHIC DESIGN! PM ME FOR INFO!!!!!

#12 back_anchor

back_anchor

abstrakt paintball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

for a soild way to start out just get a PMR and a halo or Vlocity/JR and go try woodsball then try some speedball and then see if you can get some tips on speedball from some of the guys that look like they know what they are doing I know that most of the time when it comes to paintballers we are nice to newcomers and veterans alike but i would def go with a rail or like a f7

hope that helps
i like own all you noobs like hardcore

#13 Russ

Russ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

If your looking to play speedball play speedball dont go to woodsball to play speedball

but remember u can use speedball equipment in woodsball

Canada, Ontario
Russ

#14 rebel492991

rebel492991

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

you can use woodsball stuff in speedball. I mean they both shoot paint at 280 fps.

#15 TheDLink

TheDLink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

you can use woodsball stuff in speedball. I mean they both shoot paint at 280 fps.

but its not preferred... imagine a person sprinting towards a bunker with a huge gun held with both hands

#16 rebel492991

rebel492991

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

yea but i just wanted that fact to be out there. i wouldn't recommended a mill Sim gun but a a5 98 custom is just fine for speed ball.

#17 renegade261

renegade261

Level 13 Boss Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, wait till the 09 PMR comes out and you will be set on your gun. You might spend a little extra but on your marker, spend every penny you can afford on the best STOCK gun you can get. (Dont get a cheap gun and put a shitload of upgrades on it)

#18 Newman513

Newman513

PaintballJesus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:57 PM

Ok my super fun opinion time!! PMR solid solid gun. By the way your sounding the PMR 09 might be a bit out of range 450$ as im told =/ Join that team for sure, and since its your first team and stuff it would be nice if they are serious about it but if its just a goof around thing thats great also! make sure to get a decent mask though cause sometimes if u can't see u can ball and if you can't ball you can't have that much fun am i right? So just do the team thing and for a tank i reccomend a Crossfire 68/45 carbon and for a hopper velocity junior. Itwould also be nice if you told us what position your thinking of playing but its fine for now! Good luck

Posted Image

"Only in the Pump Forum"

#19 Nasher6113

Nasher6113

London Ontario Baller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

hahahahahahah ya technically (sp) u can...but try snapping with an a-5 or a BT, or running and gunning off the break...or superman sliding

ive seen people do it, but its not pretty and i usually end up laughing when i hit there HUGE loader stickkin out the side of a bunker

Posted Image

Canadian Ballers FTW
If your under 18 and you pay for your own gear put this in your sig

#20 Belanger

Belanger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, wait till the 09 PMR comes out and you will be set on your gun. You might spend a little extra but on your marker, spend every penny you can afford on the best STOCK gun you can get. (Dont get a cheap gun and put a shitload of upgrades on it)

Which is exactly why you don't by a PMR or ion....

Ok my super fun opinion time!! PMR solid solid gun. By the way your sounding the PMR 09 might be a bit out of range 450$ as im told =/ Join that team for sure, and since its your first team and stuff it would be nice if they are serious about it but if its just a goof around thing thats great also! make sure to get a decent mask though cause sometimes if u can't see u can ball and if you can't ball you can't have that much fun am i right? So just do the team thing and for a tank i reccomend a Crossfire 68/45 carbon and for a hopper velocity junior. Itwould also be nice if you told us what position your thinking of playing but its fine for now! Good luck

You will find a high quality mask is one of the best investments.
PRINCE GEORGE TITANS!
I DO GRAPHIC DESIGN! PM ME FOR INFO!!!!!

#21 paintball08902

paintball08902

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

As many people have already mentioned, go with whatever feels good. If possible, go your local field and test fire a few guys guns there. Also you could possibly read the manuals of the different guns that you are looking to purchase to get fimiliar with their operating systems. I personally started off with a Tippmann 98 custom and just played in the woods with a bunch of friends. I then bought a Dangerous Power Fusion(F7) and then a PMR. It is based more on personal preference. Just get a feel for every gun and make a decision based on that. Hope this helps at all. And good luck with getting into this wonderous sport.

#22 pbgunner93

pbgunner93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:50 PM

do whatever you want to do, dont let anybody change your mind on it, and yes wait for the 09 pmr
Team "Nuclear Dinosauer Commandos"
Thanks for helping us get a team name, pm me if you wish to join this team
LilBill78: "do all electric hopper use batterys?"

#23 paintballfreak36

paintballfreak36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:44 PM

i agree with all ofthese posts lol

#24 SweetnLow

SweetnLow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:30 AM

I would much prefer using speedball equipment in the woods than woodsball equipment on a speedball field. I mean they can both shoot paint at 1 Ball Per 5 Seconds.

Just so people can pick up my tone online, I mean that it's just a diffrent pacing. I'm not making any slight or jab at woodsballers.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything" -Wyatt Earp
"One shot, one bounce." -Some paintballer
"Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move." - Crawdaddy (PBF)

#25 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:34 AM

ok, everyone, and i mean everyone's started out playing woodsball, usually with a Tippmann, or a Spyder. i'd get a lower gun if your going to play both, but that's just me. go Smart Parts or possibly Bob Long
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users