2 replies to this topic

#1 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:14 AM

Alright, before I start off with anything else, I want you all to know that this IS NOT designed for everyone. My body is different than any of yours. My idea of a workout might differ from yours. My nutrient intake may help you or hinder you if you emulate it. Do not blame, flame, or try to shame me for anything that might happen to you because of this.

The purpose of this thread is to give an example of what your body has the potential to do with some sweat and heart, and how to maintain it to a certain degree. That is it.

First, I will start with my daily workout routines. Keep in mind that I am in the Army, so Im used to a pretty good amount of work.

Every morning, Monday - Friday, from 0600 to 0700, I do platoon PT (physical training). During this time, we do a little cardio warmup by jogging in place for a couple of minutes. Then we do about 10 minutes of stretching. Thigh stretches, chest stretches, calf stretches, back stretches, shoulder stretches, hamstring stretches, groin stretches, joint rotations, and a couple of others.

After that, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, we go on a distance run. Distance meaning anywhere from 2 to 6 miles. Sometimes we do interval runs, where we sprint light poles. But generally, those are the cardio days.

Tuesdays and Thursdays, however, we do what is called "muscle failure". This should be a term that anyone who works out is familiar with. We do variations of pushups, pullups, crunches, situps, leg-ups, lunges, squats, and other body-weight workouts. The goal here is to completely wear out muscle groups to the point that your muscles literally fail. You cant hold yourself up in a pushup position. You cant lay down and sit straight up without help. You can barely walk straight because your legs feel like Jell-O.

After our primary workout of the day, we take another 15 minutes to stretch out and cool down again.

The past week, I have also started doing this same type of workout in the afternoons, as well as the mornings. Generally, the opposite of what we did in the morning, though. So if we ran in the morning, I would do muscle failure in the afternoon. And Vice-Versa.

For most people, going that far in either type of workout day will be too much, especially at the beginning. Run shorter distances. Work your muscles until you start to get shakey. Then slowly start building to the point that you completely torch yourself. The beauty of the Army PT, is that it is all based on body weight. At no time that Ive been in have we used "weights" such as at a gym.

I am roughly 6'3. When I joined, I weighed a mere 155. After basic training, I weighed 185, and have hovered around that since (which was a year ago). So, that should be proof enough that you dont need a gym to put on some muscle weight, and keep your weight at a desirable level. Your own body can be used against itself in this regard.

Now, to my supplement intake.

GNC Mega Man Sport multivitamin. The package recommends 2 per day, but I only take 1. Everything in it helps, though.

GNC Double Strength Fish Oil. Helps flexibility a little, and your heart a lot. Very good idea to take.

Glucosamine Chondroiton Helps support joint flexibility, and can assist in minor tissue rebuilding.

Gold Standard Whey Protein I actually just started taking this, but a 3/4 scoop in a glass of milk is alright. It will help rebuild tired muscles, as well as increase mass. I recommend to drink this right after working out, as right before can make you pretty sick, I imagine.

Generic B12 vitamin, 1000mg. Im sure you can get the same thing from GNC. But this helps your blood oxygenate easier, and will give you extra energy. I take this the night before a big run or a PT test so I have these chemicals in my system right when I wake up.

For those of you who take vitamins right before you work out, you arent doing your body any good until about an hour, maybe and hour and a half into the workout. Generally, it only takes 15 to 30 minutes for the digestive process to take a hold and start absorbing nutrients. Once you start exerting your body, though, the blood diverts from the stomach to your straining muscles, severely increasing the time digestion takes. This results in those vitamins not starting to be absorbed until late in your workout.

That concept transfers to anything. Including water. That is why everyone that really pushes their body doesnt slam a bottle of water before a big run and think they can make it. You have to put everything into your system the night before, or it will do you no good.

One last thing I can mention is;
A tablespoon of honey, and natural cinnamon (not cinnamon sugar). This boosts the digestive process, helps relieve arthritis, increases blood flow to the extremeties, and stimulates your brain. Mix the two into a paste, and slap it onto a honey/cinnamon/peanut butter wheat sandwich. Delicious.

As for what foods I eat, its the same as any other average joe. Pizza, Popeyes, Taco Bell, Subway, and god knows whatever is in the dining facility. You dont really have to eat healthy to feel healthy, you just have to work off the unhealthy feeling. Granted, it would be much better for you if you actually ate healthy while excercising properly, but lets face it.. None of us are going to do that. :rolleyes:

Liquids however, are another story. Soda sucks. Simple as that. You will benefit yourself much more by drinking water, juice, V8, and some tea, than you ever will with Sprite, Fanta, and Pepsi. Even things like Gatorade, Vitamin Water, Sobe juices, and Snapple are better than sodas.

And dont even suggest energy drinks. I used to drink so many of those, and looking back on it, to how much shit I put in my body from those, it wasnt even worth it. Take a look at the back of one of those cans sometime, and seriously think about what it shows. They are even worse than sodas.

As of right now, I am out of things to say. Again, Keep in mind that, while I am not an olympic athlete by any means, my body is still used to a pretty decent amount of strain. This works for me, but it may not work for you. As I stated at the very top, this thread is more of an example of what stress the human body can be put under with workouts, what kind of nutrients it can use to run efficiently, and a very basic diet rundown.

Hopefully this helped some people who are asking about gaining muscle, losing weight, or just general fitness. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Im sure that all the other intelligent health nuts here, as well as myself, will be more than happy to answer questions.

If you have any vitamin/diet/workout critiques, comments, or suggestions, throw them in here.

Thanks for reading all this, too. I doubt anyone really will, but oh well. :rolleyes:

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#2 sticktodrum

sticktodrum

Paintball's Lovable Prince Of Parody

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

Please check your title. I assume you meant "regimen" and not "regime," since they are quite different.

Also, on your mention of Fish Oil:

Fish oil is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, and these have been shown many times to have certain cardiovascular benefits. The American Heart Association recommends that you eat fish at least twice a week.

Where the pseudoscience invades is in the area of supplementation basically fish oil pills. Generally speaking, healthy people gain no benefit from supplementation; taking pills when you don't need them amounts to what doctors call a "wallet extraction". However when you do have documented coronary heart disease or otherwise need to lower your triglycerides, your doctor may well recommend that you take supplements, along with whatever fish you might already eat, to reach a desired amount of daily intake, usually between 1000 and 4000 mg depending on your condition. Omega-3 fatty acids do carry risks such as blood thinning, so don't take it if you don't need it. Bottom line: If you're healthy, save your money, and enjoy a fish dinner now and then.

Omega-3 fatty acids and fish oil are often trumpeted as treatments for many other conditions, such as asthma, cancer, or as some kind of wonder food for the brain, but such claims as these have so far been found to be completely without merit.

So... other than that, great topic. You sound buff!
Gerber, Surefire, TOPS, and Cold Steel all suck the big one. Buy quality products, not junk. :-)

#3 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

Haha, I actually didnt notice the title. I must have missed the N. But I guess it is kind of like a regime, if you think about it. :unsure:

But thanks for the information about the Fish Oil. Personally, I dont care if its just draining my wallet, because it at least gives me a peace of mind that Im taking better care of myself. Plus, I never eat fish. My primary access to it is at the DFAC. And you really dont want to eat that fish.. <_<

But those pills I linked are the same as what I have in my hand right now. They only contain 360mg of EPA, and 240mg of DHA, once per day. So its not a high enough concentration to really have a negative side effect. Perhaps I will drop the fish oil to 3 times a week, instead of daily.

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users