• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

Ok, So today I noticed a kind of laziness that just doesn't make sense. It started yesterday while I was cleaning my Phantom. My friend called me up and asked me where our local paintball store was. I told him where and asked what he wanted to get. He told me he was going to pay to get his gun cleaned and oiled, then asked what I was doing. When I told him I was cleaning my gun he asked "why." We then had a long conversation where he talked about how he doesn't clean his gun because he just doesn't feel like it. I asked what he would do if it broke down on the field, his response was horrible: "Well, as I see it there will be someone there to fix it for me"...... So I just said whatever, I'd rather not inconvienence people and left it at that.

The kicker: Today he told me how much he is paying for that cleaning. 30 dollars. For a job that would take him 10 minutes... 30 dollars. Wow.

And for some reason my computer keeps zoning out, and somehow that led to this being posted early.

Edited by Splatter Matters, 19 June 2009 - 08:01 PM.

#2 naterab

naterab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

Care to explain?
Zephyr Paintball

For any and all paintball needs

#3 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

Care to explain?

There, fixed it. My computer is freaking out on me recently.

#4 naterab

naterab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

ROFLMAO. That's hilarious. What marker does he have that could possibly be that hard to maintain?
Zephyr Paintball

#5 Texas Cheezburgr

Texas Cheezburgr

:D :O :S

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:04 PM

Some people take pride in their belongings. Some don't.
This user has been banned for repeated trolling and breaking the rules here at TechPB. Sorry Texas, you are no longer welcome here at TechPB

#6 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

ROFLMAO. That's hilarious. What marker does he have that could possibly be that hard to maintain?

It's an A-5. AN A-5. There is NOTHING to those. Some push pins and some oil and your done.

#7 naterab

naterab

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

I really do not understand that. The situation is just bad for him. He is wasting thirty dollars and he does not understand how his marker operates and does not understand maintenance...what are you going to do?
Zephyr Paintball

#8 CdnNinja

CdnNinja

The cake is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,806 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

Wow, your friend is damaged.

40k-1.png

#9 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

I tried to explain that to him. It didn't go anywhere.

On a side note: my computer is driving me crazy

Edited by Splatter Matters, 19 June 2009 - 08:10 PM.

#10 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

Man, I do a lot of add-ons to markers and small fixes. Many complain why I didn't scrub the marker clean. Pfft - it was free not $40. I hate to give freebies like this because then they think I'm the lazy one.

Edited by slinkyaroo, 19 June 2009 - 08:13 PM.

#11 Texas Cheezburgr

Texas Cheezburgr

:D :O :S

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

You could say the same thing about cars.

--Some people love and take care of their cars. Wash them all the time. Work on them all the time etc.

--Some people don't give a shit and treat their cars like that.

--Then there are the people who think their car is bad ass, and still don't take care of it. Like 95% of Honda CRX owners. Those are people I don't get.

Your friend would have to go under the 3rd one. ^^

Edited by Texas Cheezburgr, 19 June 2009 - 08:13 PM.

This user has been banned for repeated trolling and breaking the rules here at TechPB. Sorry Texas, you are no longer welcome here at TechPB

#12 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

--Some people love and take care of their cars. Wash them all the time. Work on them all the time etc.

--Then there are the people who think their car is bad ass, and still don't take care of it. Like 95% of Honda CRX owners. Those are people I don't get.

Haha, I just got in from washing my car. It's an Altima, nothing special, but I love it.

#13 _ORaNGe_FLaMeS_

_ORaNGe_FLaMeS_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

I take better care of my Ego than I do my Accord and it's a sweet car, 06, bought it new it's a V6 Coupe with moonroof, in dash 6 cd changer, leather, every option you could think of. Correction, maintenance wise I keep very good care of my car, just fell behind on cleaning it, need to vacuum it out and wipe everything down and treat the leather then take it to the self serve car wash (I like to wash my car myself but where I'm living doesn't have a tap outside for a hose....go figure, sucks since I have a pressure washer and everything you could think of to wash a car lol.

I personally won't let anyone touch my markers, I don't trust my local shop only one of the owners whose also an Ego owner but even then why pay when I can do anything I need myself? I enjoy working on my markers.

#14 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

I take better care of my Ego than I do my Accord and it's a sweet car, 06, bought it new it's a V6 Coupe with moonroof, in dash 6 cd changer, leather, every option you could think of. Correction, maintenance wise I keep very good care of my car, just fell behind on cleaning it, need to vacuum it out and wipe everything down and treat the leather then take it to the self serve car wash (I like to wash my car myself but where I'm living doesn't have a tap outside for a hose....go figure, sucks since I have a pressure washer and everything you could think of to wash a car lol.

I personally won't let anyone touch my markers, I don't trust my local shop only one of the owners whose also an Ego owner but even then why pay when I can do anything I need myself? I enjoy working on my markers.

Right, I like working on mine too, even if putting it back together drives me insane. Sucks about not having the hose tap. I really should have waited until tomorrow to wash, given my car gets shot up at my field.

#15 _ORaNGe_FLaMeS_

_ORaNGe_FLaMeS_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

Just make sure you hose off any paint or splatter on your car, some paints can erode away at the clear and finish of some paints, mostly older paints I believe.

#16 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

Just make sure you hose off any paint or splatter on your car, some paints can erode away at the clear and finish of some paints, mostly older paints I believe.

yeah I scrub it off when I get home. I'm not sure how the rental players (I hope it's not the experienced ones) manage to shoot over the netting and hit my car, but they manage to hit that, as well as the roof over the staging area.

#17 PrometheanFlame

PrometheanFlame

Nein, you tiny demons! NEIN!!

• Members
  • 9,357 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

Splatter, why don't you offer to clean and oil his gun for $20? He'll think he's getting a deal, and you get paid a Jackson for doing practically nothing.

Posted Image

Grammar Nazi Fuhrer : LL3 Soulja : Eleven Percenter

#18 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Splatter, why don't you offer to clean and oil his gun for $20? He'll think he's getting a deal, and you get paid a Jackson for doing practically nothing.

I offered for $10. But for some reason I guess he thinks the shop will do some magic job on his gun (which still has unwashed paint stains). So he said no.

#19 Trum_15

Trum_15

Uber Member

• Members
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

tell your friend you will do it for 25!! make a quick buck!!!

#20 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

Just out of curiosity, did you read the rest of the thread?

#21 _ORaNGe_FLaMeS_

_ORaNGe_FLaMeS_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

OOO! OOOH! I CAN ANSWER THAT *Holds arm up in the air*......No!, No he didn't =)

#22 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

OOO! OOOH! I CAN ANSWER THAT *Holds arm up in the air*......No!, No he didn't =)

Thats correct Orange. bonus balls for you.

#23 Sigma Sparda

Sigma Sparda

Proudly sponsored by ANSGear.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

Whenever I'm not trolling here, I'm usually breaking apart my guns to find ways to mod or improve them. Hell, I'll occasionally mess around with painting them. Anyone who is too lazy to take apart their gun is missing out on the cheapest yet most interesting part of paintball in my book. I still have dreams of a program where you have to pass a general knowledge test to graduate from renting to owning your own marker.

Another car reference (a majority, not everyone) is that not too long ago, you could ask someone about their car and they could give you a stat readout and the makers of all their custom parts. Now you ask someone about their car and all you get is "Yeah, my car goes "uber" fast, but I think it has to do with my bitchin' sound system."
Posted Image
Rowan Platoon Frontman. Check Us Out.

(TechPB-Mike @ Jul 28 2009, 08:13 PM)
When I score first post in ANYTHING, I drive to the closest walmart, kick the doors in, and yell "I got first post mother fuckers!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

#24 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

Whenever I'm not trolling here, I'm usually breaking apart my guns to find ways to mod or improve them. Hell, I'll occasionally mess around with painting them. Anyone who is too lazy to take apart their gun is missing out on the cheapest yet most interesting part of paintball in my book. I still have dreams of a program where you have to pass a general knowledge test to graduate from renting to owning your own marker.

I take mine apart to clean them, and understand how they work. I always want to try to mod them, but I have a fear im gonna screw it up beyond repair.

#25 Sigma Sparda

Sigma Sparda

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

That fear is something easily broken. :) Word of advice, start with a Tippmann. It makes learning alot less painful in the wallet area.
Posted Image

When I score first post in ANYTHING, I drive to the closest walmart, kick the doors in, and yell "I got first post mother fuckers!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

#26 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

That fear is something easily broken. :) Word of advice, start with a Tippmann. It makes learning alot less painful in the wallet area.

Well, I'm in the market to sell my A-5, but I guess mauling it couldn't do too much damage.

What I really wanted to do was create a simple machine to shorten the pump stroke on my phantom. Shorter distance, more difficulty. Not really sure how to do that anymore though, as its been a while since I worked with that kind of thing. I can't change the spring, because all that does is push the pump handle back out. Drilling a hole further in the bolt wouldnt change anything except probably screw up the gun.

MA = Force out/Force in. But thats not what i want, i want less effort distance with more effort force. And it's getting late so I'm not thinking very clearly. So I'll stop thinking on "paper".

#27 maxpankewycz

maxpankewycz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

my godfather was in the 5% that do take care of their CRX's

Canadian Ballers Club

Sig by:{Pb}Atracin
if ur under 18 and pay for ur own gear put this in ur sig

#28 sticktodrum

sticktodrum

Paintball's Lovable Prince Of Parody

• Players Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

Bless the kid for supporting his local pro shop!
Gerber, Surefire, TOPS, and Cold Steel all suck the big one. Buy quality products, not junk. :-)

#29 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

Actually, the story I posted last night was topped today at my field. I was talking to this 15 year old sorta-friend. He had 2 guns with him: An Ion and a VL Triton. I picked up the VL (those are what, $30?) and started looking at it. I remarked at how it was covered in dust and dirt and really needed to be cleaned. He told me he didn't want to clean it, doesn't use it as a backup, and then GAVE ME THE GUN. Now I'm not complaining, I'll take a gun no matter what it is. But really who gives away a gun so that they don't have to worry about some cleaning. So first thing I did was tear it apart when I got home, everything that will seperate is seperated, and I'm gonna try to see what I can do with it.

#30 Sigma Sparda

Sigma Sparda

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

-giggles- I remember the first time I took one apart....And I remember how fast a 20 o.z. of CO2 emptied whenever I put it back together incorrectly. :P Wish the kid who had it before you would've had that same experience. Encourages people to inspect their shit before they gas it up.
Posted Image

#31 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:41 PM

-giggles- I remember the first time I took one apart....And I remember how fast a 20 o.z. of CO2 emptied whenever I put it back together incorrectly. :P Wish the kid who had it before you would've had that same experience. Encourages people to inspect their shit before they gas it up.

Yeah, I have a feeling that when I'm done wiping and oiling everything, that something will not work. When I took the barrel off, I saw the inside had a ball wedged in it, and dirt and paint caked the barrel.

#32 MNpaintball

MNpaintball

Ya Hoser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

what the hell?... this kid is lazy.
maintaining guns is something i do for all my friends!
i think it's really fun, it kills time too
for some reason though, i only screw up my own markers... not my friends'

Gearbag Sale!!! http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=157802

Dangerous Power FX for Sale: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=157232

~MNpaintball's Feedback~

#33 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:59 PM

Speaking of fixing up markers, is it possible to paint a marker at home and not have it look horrible. Nothing to hard, but I was thinking of changing the colors on this freebie.

#34 Nick

Nick

USAF

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:21 PM

Powder coating is fairly easy to do

The problem is that your gun will feel/look like plastic.

Unless you know how to anno at home/have access to a shop with electroplating set-ups (very nice automotive workshops/body shops)

#35 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

Powder coating is fairly easy to do

The problem is that your gun will feel/look like plastic.

Unless you know how to anno at home/have access to a shop with electroplating set-ups (very nice automotive workshops/body shops)

this is like a $30 dollar gun anyway, so I guess I will give that a try. Thanks

#36 Schven79

Schven79

Uber Member

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:02 PM

Umm. I'll clean and oil it for 30 dollars! I just got a hopper today and I've been rocking a shake and shoot up until now.

#37 JJ GBR

JJ GBR

RIP Borg. Never forgotten.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

I have a mate like that, never bothers to clean his gear. I'm the complete opposite, after every time i play, my gun/s get stripped, wiped down, any rails that harbour dirt get going over with a nailbrush, oiled, cleaned and tested. Even my 98.

Hell, sometimes i even prep my gun for a game by cleaning it, even if it's already clean.

The way i see it, if i take a reliable gun, say, for instance, my 98, and take good care of it, rather than just slinging 3 drops of oil down the asa every 6 months, then it can't go wrong on the field.

Plus, if you're mechanically minded, having your gun apart and looking at the internals enables you to figure out what's wrong if your gun stops working, without having to strip it down.

Electric guns like my SLG can be harder, because i don't know a lot about the boards and suchlike.

Editted to add - If anyone reading this in the UK is prepared to pay to get their marker cleaned, then get in touch.

Edited by JJ GBR, 21 June 2009 - 02:14 PM.

#38 Splatter Matters

Splatter Matters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

I usually clean mine after every 2 games. The one I have been given doesn't look like it has ever been cleaned. I'll admit I enjoyed ripping it apart, except for the previous owner has stripped a screw (I guess he must have attempted to clean it at one point or something) so I had to use a wrench on that screw.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users